Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Diet Crack posted:

Jimmy Page and Michio Kaku are not absolute dickweeds

Page hosed a 13/14 year old, I don't know what if anything Kaku has gotten upto but the hair type relating to dickweeness is starting to make sense.

Edit: Well that's one way to start a new page, Sixty-two is the atomic number of Samarium, a lanthanide

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Diet Crack posted:

Kaku will say absolutely anything to get on TV. He's the ancient aliens guy of physics.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Diet Crack posted:

Jimmy Page is a nonce and Michio Kaku is a fraud

No, you can't have nice things

Edit most harshly beaten lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh cool, another shady police database of thousands of people who haven't done crimes that is searchable by anyone with basic clearance and is extremely difficult to get your name removed and is probably racist, thanks Prevent!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

:( Are you at least getting a tub of opioids?

Just antibiotics sadly :( the dentist didn't even drain it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Been there... It'll disappear suddenly and all at once the antibiotics kick in. Weird feeling. Draining it just opens you up to more infections or something.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/langtoncapital/status/1181096056525934592

They have about 430 restaurants.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aw man, no more getting Americanas from Tesco when they're on special offer :sigh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Each of which are packed out every lunch and dinner time (despite the fact their pizza is low-effort poo poo but whatever) with people paying massively inflated prices. So once again - which hedge fund owns them?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Catch up post:

Bobstar posted:

I read the Hobbit when I was quite young, loved it, and asked my dad if there was another one. He said there was Lord of the Rings but it was too old for me. I grumbled.

And that's the story of how I narrowly avoided becoming a fantasy person. Except Pratchett, who doesn't count.

My dad, who had Tolkien in a hierarchy about 3 down from God, refused to read Pratchett on the basis that he assumed from the back cover blurbs that it was a Tolkien rip-off. Nothing I could say would persuade him otherwise.

The last LOTR film could have stopped at least 30 minutes earlier when they were in Rivendale staring out. Getting back to the Shires where Sam's missus had obviously been at it with an Orc was a waste of celluloid.

I think use of CGI has become much more obvious these days. I can hardly watch a film made in the last few years without 'seeing' the green or blue screen behind the acting. Also, that CGI 'surge' when troops or insects or scorpions or whatever surge across the scenery. So cliched.

In Gladiator (made late 90s released 2000), I know they used a section of a stand with real actors in it (extras) and then 'copy pasted' that around the coliseum for the crowd scenes. And in Phantom Menace, a spectator crowd was made of 450000 q-tips.

Vitamin P posted:

But yeah the left has absolutely failed in it's response to Rotherham and the widespread, still spreading issue. The actual left response should be obvious, there is a hateful sub-culture using religion to justify racially targeting vulnerable young women and girls, but it's all been hosed up by woke neoliberalism and the liberal left just refuse to engage with it.

I think Sarah Champion - Labour MP for Rotherham has done some very solid work on it.

Ms Adequate posted:

Not to do with any current thread issue but I wanted to share this because it's a good video about why plastic straw bans are real bad for some disabled people.

I saw a great blog post on this by someone with a very disabled adult daughter:

https://oftencalledcathy.wordpress.com/2018/02/18/our-plastic-straw-story-and-some-alternatives-to-try/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I used to stockpile my nectar points and wait for the "spend your points at pizza express" offer to come on, and then east pizza for like a month, they seemed to have stopped for years
I have like £200 in nectar points now

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

I disagree that Jess Phillips has done good work around that particular issue, she's been textbook adequate.

But yeah the left has absolutely failed in it's response to Rotherham and the widespread, still spreading issue. The actual left response should be obvious, there is a hateful sub-culture using religion to justify racially targeting vulnerable young women and girls, but it's all been hosed up by woke neoliberalism and the liberal left just refuse to engage with it.

There is a core of, my guess, 4% of British voters that quite rightly were politically awoken by the disgusting poo poo that happened in Rotherham and all we have as a response is these idiots that that don't consider 'hey weird coincidence the EDL arose there of all places eh?'. All we have is shitheads calling them facists and wanking off over milkshakes but ignoring working class girls being plied with heroin and gang raped. It's disgusting and makes me hate these cunts that call themselves the left.

Literally the only people bringing religion into the Rotherham cases is Tommy Robinson, get the gently caress out of this thread you neo-nazi oval office.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Slowly converting my mum to leftism by retweeing strike actions and stories of workers getting hosed over. That's praxis.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think Sarah Champion - Labour MP for Rotherham has done some very solid work on it.

Isn't she the one who got fired as Shadow Equalities Minister for saying that we needed to stop being PC because of all the Pakistani gangs?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

get the gently caress out of this thread you neo-nazi oval office.

This isn't the first time I've seen someone call Vitamin P a Nazi. Have we got anything concrete to base that on?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This is because their only good food was the doughballs, and everyone with the ability to use a fork just started making them at home.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If Pizza Express isn't profitable, when every single one I see is always full, how the gently caress can restaurants be profitable full stop? The weird loving economics behind restaurants makes no sense to me.

Like, some independent place that someone opens - yeah, I can see how that's a gamble and could fail. But all these big chains that are always busy? How does it get to the point where they're in billions of quid worth of debt?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 7, 2019

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Finally looking to give this discord a go, but the link keeps saying expired (https://discord.gg/vnWwfX). Does a new one need generated or something?

Edit: ^ pizza express seem to survive on vouchers as well. I see their “o2 pizza for a fiver (actually 6.5 because who wants a classic)” has been replaced with “two for a tenner”, and I think like many Italian-fare restaurants they massively rely on booze sales to make up the low spend on food.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 7, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MetPoliceEvents/status/1181125421921902592?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Isn't she the one who got fired as Shadow Equalities Minister for saying that we needed to stop being PC because of all the Pakistani gangs?
Yeah. She has done some solid investigatory reports but decided to piss that up the wall by writing a Sun piece about our precious white girls being raped by the Predatory Pakistani and Naz Shah told her to get to gently caress.

I can almost see what she was going for by trying for outreach with the white working class but like, no, gently caress doing it that way. It mostly proves that there's no left wing press in this country willing to run a proper take on it, like "we need more women in the night economy" and far too many willing to run foghorn racism.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Rarity posted:

Yes, she had to resign from the shadow cabinet after writing an awful column in the Sun

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/16/sarah-champion-complaint-sun-article-british-pakistani-men posted:

The Labour shadow minister Sarah Champion has distanced herself from a column in the Sun in which she wrote: “Britain has a problem with British Pakistani men raping and exploiting white girls.”

The shadow women and equalities minister, who is MP for Rotherham, said her piece had been altered and should “not have gone out in my name”. The newspaper said the MP’s team had fully approved the article.

The piece appeared last Friday under the headline: “British Pakistani men ARE raping and exploiting white girls … and it’s time we faced up to it.”

In her opening paragraphs, Champion wrote: “Britain has a problem with British Pakistani men raping and exploiting white girls. There. I said it. Does that make me a racist? Or am I just prepared to call out this horrifying problem for what it is?”

Champion’s complaint against the newspaper comes a day after 100 MPs wrote to it to condemn a controversial article by one of its journalists that had quoted her on Muslim grooming gangs.

She was endorsed in the tabloid by the newspaper’s senior writer Trevor Kavanagh who said MPs had to tackle what he deemed “the Muslim Problem” and that Champion was one of the few politicians prepared to speak out.

Although iirc it took like a week for her to resign and then the entire media were furious about 'PC-gone-mad you can't even call all men of a specific ethnic origin rapists anymore stu'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol :qq:

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/1181138683170308097?s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The last LOTR film could have stopped at least 30 minutes earlier when they were in Rivendale staring out. Getting back to the Shires where Sam's missus had obviously been at it with an Orc was a waste of celluloid.

This would mean missing one of the best scenes of the whole thing, where the Hobbits sit in the pub with their pints and realise they can never truly return home.

I think the trilogy deserved a little self indulgent victory lap to cap things off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

This isn't the first time I've seen someone call Vitamin P a Nazi. Have we got anything concrete to base that on?

He posts about how we need to take the legitimate immigration concerns of brexit voters seriously nonstop in the cspam UK thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dispatch_async posted:

Yes, she had to resign from the shadow cabinet after writing an awful column in the Sun

Although iirc it took like a week for her to resign and then the entire media were furious about 'PC-gone-mad you can't even call all men of a specific ethnic origin rapists anymore stu'

The main protest of the far right about the Pakistani rape gangs takes the form of "they will not replace us".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dispatch_async posted:

The Sun definitely edited it to make it far worse, but that's why you don't write guest articles for the loving Sun, because that's what they do.

Even if you're trying to reach out to the 'white working class', Sarah.

lmao

Also funny that they're not saying that about Johnson bigging up stop and search, even though that's a far greater waste of time and resources.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not really UK related, but sad that the Kurds are getting hosed over once again by the US. Man those guys can't catch a break.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Other than the use of far-right talking points? Like I say, literally the only people bringing religion and race into the Rotherham case are Tommy Robinson and his band of merry fuckwits.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sinky posted:

Someone edited them down into one film that contained nothing that wasn't in the book. You'll have to steal it off the internet of course.

Here's a good and comprehensive guide to Hobbit fan edits without any :filez: involved https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/altklu/a_comprehensive_guide_to_fan_edits_of_the_hobbit/

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Finally looking to give this discord a go, but the link keeps saying expired (https://discord.gg/vnWwfX). Does a new one need generated or something?

Edit: ^ pizza express seem to survive on vouchers as well. I see their “o2 pizza for a fiver (actually 6.5 because who wants a classic)” has been replaced with “two for a tenner”, and I think like many Italian-fare restaurants they massively rely on booze sales to make up the low spend on food.

Try this one -

https://discordapp.com/invite/RgUqEwk

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Red Oktober posted:

Give this one a try https://discord.gg/dyAGk4n

e: Nooooooo..

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1180887551256731648

how could we

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why IRC is superior.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Each of which are packed out every lunch and dinner time (despite the fact their pizza is low-effort poo poo but whatever) with people paying massively inflated prices. So once again - which hedge fund owns them?

This was from August

https://www.ft.com/content/2658c49a-b919-11e9-8a88-aa6628ac896c

quote:

It was launched in Soho, London, in 1965 by restaurateur Peter Boizot and in 2014 was acquired for £900m by Hony Capital, a Chinese private equity group.

In its 2018 accounts it reported net debt of £1.1bn, with interest charges of £93.1m, resulting in a pre-tax loss of £55m.

So yep, saddled up with debt, expansion into China that's been a net loss.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rarity posted:

Aw man, no more getting Americanas from Tesco when they're on special offer :sigh:

We need to stockpile the good cheap pizzas. Though the Tesco chicken and bacon one is pretty good too.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bardeh posted:

If Pizza Express isn't profitable, when every single one I see is always full, how the gently caress can restaurants be profitable full stop? The weird loving economics behind restaurants makes no sense to me.

Like, some independent place that someone opens - yeah, I can see how that's a gamble and could fail. But all these big chains that are always busy? How does it get to the point where they're in billions of quid worth of debt?

:capitalism:

If Pizza Express fails, I'm not coming back to the UK any more :colbert:. They're my go-to hot food when I arrive in a strange city (quiet food snobs, it's predictable and I know my ridiculous digestion can take it!)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Other than the use of far-right talking points? Like I say, literally the only people bringing religion and race into the Rotherham case are Tommy Robinson and his band of merry fuckwits.

I meant besides that, based as people were already calling him that. I totally don't doubt this thread's ability to accurately spot a chud, just wanted to see the source myself.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah there's some tankies (as in proper Stalinist ML Party members) who go in on "clearly this is primarily an element of class struggle but to unite with those members of the working class outraged by this we've got to start by addressing all the Muslims going around raping kids"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Nah there's some tankies (as in proper Stalinist ML Party members) who go in on "clearly this is primarily an element of class struggle but to unite with those members of the working class outraged by this we've got to start by addressing all the Muslims going around raping kids"

Walks like a nazi, talks like a nazi, it's a loving nazi.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

For real, a half-price Sloppy Giuseppe with some added extra mozzarella and diced chillies and garlic is a pro strat.

Yes I'm aware that "a half-price Sloppy Giuseppe" sounds like something I got off your mum behind the bike sheds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

I meant besides that, based as people were already calling him that. I totally don't doubt this thread's ability to accurately spot a chud, just wanted to see the source myself.

What about the actual loving post I quoted? Where, you know, they were (as coyly as possible) saying that the Rotherham case was about religion?