Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
fire trails (or any trails baring harmless stuff, really) aren't worth it because the damage over time is extremely small for that, so you'll only hurt yourself.

unless it's something hilarious like gunpowder or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my lesson learned for today is that 'boomerang spells' does exactly what you'd think it does

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

fire trails (or any trails baring harmless stuff, really) aren't worth it because the damage over time is extremely small for that, so you'll only hurt yourself.

Water trail is very useful just because being able to flood the place with water is super useful.

Burning trail also lets you set people on fire and it counts as non wand damage so it's good for farming up currency early on.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Okay, so heres the most ultimate best most fun thing in the world: did you know this game has a hidden alchemy system thats different depending on what seed you have?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ACao1gOPc
There might be more possible too.

Theres also somthing I saw in a video which might be a little bit of a spoiler for the ending so I'll hide it behind a spoiler tag just in case. That giant gear thing you get at the end that you put into the machine that makes everything turn to gold can somehow be used at the hidden altar near the starting area , with this you can turn the would to gold and still live somehow. I don't know how you would go about doing this, but if anyone is interested in what I mean I can try and dig up the video.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Tombot posted:

Okay, so heres the most ultimate best most fun thing in the world: did you know this game has a hidden alchemy system thats different depending on what seed you have?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ACao1gOPc
There might be more possible too.

Theres also somthing I saw in a video which might be a little bit of a spoiler for the ending so I'll hide it behind a spoiler tag just in case. That giant gear thing you get at the end that you put into the machine that makes everything turn to gold can somehow be used at the hidden altar near the starting area , with this you can turn the would to gold and still live somehow. I don't know how you would go about doing this, but if anyone is interested in what I mean I can try and dig up the video.

There's an entire discord server dedicated to finding these secrets just fyi, this has been known for at least a week now :) here's another fun one: There's a moon far, far above the starting area that, with the right combination of items will cause the moon to turn into either whiskey or void liquid, revealing the destruction spell

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nightwisher posted:

There's an entire discord server dedicated to finding these secrets just fyi, this has been known for at least a week now :) here's another fun one: There's a moon far, far above the starting area that, with the right combination of items will cause the moon to turn into either whiskey or void liquid, revealing the destruction spell

Yeah and multiple times now they've made significant discoveries in the discord server and the devs have pushed a new patch with new secrets in it right after, recently like within 15 minutes lol. Maybe it's a coincidence but I personally think it's pretty cool. Right now I think the latest big find is that filling the pools of water that show up near some of the orbs with specific liquids does... stuff. Like the one to the far right of the mines, past the lava lake, has a tablet that talks about life force and stuff, and if you drain the water from and fill it up with blood it "activates" something

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Water trail is very useful just because being able to flood the place with water is super useful.

Burning trail also lets you set people on fire and it counts as non wand damage so it's good for farming up currency early on.

It's kind of annoying that the best way to get rich on the first stage is grab a tablet (lava lake is probably faster than the tree now that you get a starter water flask?) and kill all the enemies by throwing it at them for double $. Bonus points if you don't kill anything with your wand before then so you get the extra Pacifist chest in the first Holy Mountain. I know I could just not do it, but I feel compelled to every run unless I find a fun wand on the first floor and opt to just kill poo poo normally

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gamerofthegame posted:

Acid trails are good if you want to anger the gods.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

bad dodge

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

nightwisher posted:

could you link it, if it's public? i'm interested in learning more about the game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Line up, children :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Invisibility perk + Freeze Field perk is actually one hell of a combo. Under most circumstances Invisibility is hard to use because you get Stained so regularly, but since Freeze Field ices over many liquids and even puts out fires if you wait a little, the amount of time you spent being Stained decreases a lot which means invis gets much more uptime. Try it out, it's fun and can make those horrible chaotic situations where you run from a fight only to run into a shitload more enemies a lot more manageable when you can just yeet your way out of it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do people know if some of the weirder materials like diamond and brass and whatever ever get used for a weird alchemy reaction?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

could you link it, if it's public? i'm interested in learning more about the game

https://discord.gg/mE8Pf6g

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The freezing area spell is badass, Id love to see some frostbolts in this game. maybe a higher level one that does damage and freezes for a bit longer.

shattering a frozen enemy with a kick is one of my favourite things

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
I can't stop playing this game. The spell combos and goofy situations that happen constantly are just too good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So how exactly does building wands work? I just started playing last night and sometimes it feels like adding some modifiers to wands does nothing?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

CodfishCartographer posted:

So how exactly does building wands work? I just started playing last night and sometimes it feels like adding some modifiers to wands does nothing?

It helps to think of each wand as a small deck of cards.

Most wands have "shuffle: yes," which means it shuffles the spells in the deck before it starts firing. Because of this, modifiers will only work if they end up before other spells in the shuffle. The wand goes through the shuffled deck 1 card at a time (unless "spells per cast" is above 1), then recharges (see the "recharge time" stat) after the last card, and then the process begins again with a new shuffle.

Wands with "shuffle: no" work as you'd expect: the spells aren't shuffled and it just goes through them from left to right every time. In general, wands that don't shuffle are dramatically more powerful and useful.

In addition to all of this, each spell costs mana and each wand has a unique mana maximum - so if you're unlucky, you can get a wand that doesn't have enough mana to cast the spells in its slots. I guess it might be possible for a modifier to cost too much for a wand to "afford?"...

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 6, 2019

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

I Said No posted:

https://i.imgur.com/LP8Sceb.mp4

well gently caress you too, game :mad:

Is your name Mike?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay seeing as a bunch of people are talking about this game and seem to like it can someone explain to me how this game isn't absolute garbage? Some newbie advice or something. Like I want to like it, it seems really cool, but the enemies and shooting feel awful unless I magically manage to get a wand that isn't terrible right off the bat, and it seems like there's a ton of just random bullshit that works as a health tax in a game where you can't heal between checkpoints so sometimes "oh that green line you saw on the ground was actually slime not grass now you're taking damage hope you know where some water is close to you or you're just losing half your health". That and enemies that just poo poo damaging materials all over everything on death or just when they attack. Maybe I should come back to this game in a few months after the early access jank has been ironed out of it but my initial experience with this game is that it is very, very bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if your opinion of the game off the bat is "absolute garbage" instead of "slowpaced shooter platformer where you can put together wacky shot patterns+pixel simulation", you are probably never going to think it's good

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well to be fair I'm being deliberately hyperbolic but like, that's me expressing that my initial impression of the game after playing for a few runs and managing to get most of the way through the ice zone before getting killed literally right at the portal is that this game has potential but feels terrible in play. Like I feel as if I must be missing something. You're all talking about crafting wands and combining spells which I did, eventually, figure out how to even do (the game doesn't even mention it which seems like an issue. I spent a good portion of my first hour playing this game trying to figure out why this wand has 5 copies of the same effect on it) but like, the one time I had some amount of success in the game was when a random wand had like 5 copies of some bouncy shotgun spell on it and I started actually killing things quickly and efficiently and that was the closest i'd come to actually enjoying the game. Most of the time though it's just like... some poorly explained projectile that I don't know what the hell I'd even do with because I feel like casting a magic bolt followed by a fireball or whatever isn't going to make me any more powerful. If this game is, as you said, literally just "look at these pixels do weird effects" then yeah I'm probably gonna get a refund then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the majority of what you are complaining about wouldn't even be early access jank

its a game about experimenting and interactions and you are acting like you like neither of those things

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This game sounds good, but it also sounds like I'd find it way too frustrating to actually enjoy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a bit of a conflict in the game's design between being a challenge and being a sandbox. All the charismatic fun the game is sold on, with crafting elaborate destructive spells, is locked behind a fairly frustrating gameplay challenge that regularly resets all the opportunities you found. Of course, that frustrating challenge is what roguelikes are about, and without it the game would ultimately be rather shallow as there wouldn't be much to use all your creations for.

The balance can be struck, but I don't think it's there yet. It needs to swing more into the sandbox side, at least early on. Giving more to play with up front would help, and the development is definitely heading in that direction. The suggestion to edit your wand anywhere as standard would help too.

Personally if I were to throw an idea out there I'd put in a sort of between-games foyer that just lets you play around with spells, traits and flasks you found in your runs. Nothing that you could actually bring into the mountain, just giving you a chance to try that combo you got all the components for but died before you reached the next temple, or generally safely find out how fire trail interacts with slime cloud, that sort of thing. More of the fun experimenting without the risk of losing all the fun stuff you found, without affecting the actual challenge.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
If you ever get lump of soil, drown yourself in it. You will be rewarded.

treat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 7, 2019

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Glagha posted:

Okay seeing as a bunch of people are talking about this game and seem to like it can someone explain to me how this game isn't absolute garbage? Some newbie advice or something. Like I want to like it, it seems really cool, but the enemies and shooting feel awful unless I magically manage to get a wand that isn't terrible right off the bat, and it seems like there's a ton of just random bullshit that works as a health tax in a game where you can't heal between checkpoints so sometimes "oh that green line you saw on the ground was actually slime not grass now you're taking damage hope you know where some water is close to you or you're just losing half your health". That and enemies that just poo poo damaging materials all over everything on death or just when they attack. Maybe I should come back to this game in a few months after the early access jank has been ironed out of it but my initial experience with this game is that it is very, very bad.

For starters, make sure you're playing on the beta branch of the game, as you start with a water flask to alleviate the toxic/fire health chipping, as well as them making it require more contact with harmful materials to suffer the status effect.

Recapping what I said just above, you can empty a flask and fill it up with different liquids. You can keep refilling your water flask to have a means to remove damaging effects from you at a moment's notice. Spritzing yourself with it works alright, but the best way to use it is to fill a small hole in the ground and jump in it.

If you're struggling to survive in general, your best bet is to slow down. Don't rush into unexplored caverns, don't chase enemies into unknown territory and avoid arbitrarily blowing up bomb crates and fuel barrels as you're just creating more hazards for yourself.

Save your bombs for large groups of enemies. You can toss a bomb at a group of mobs and they generally won't react in time to get away. In particular, the swarms of little purple jumpy guys on the first level can be handled much easier with a single bomb.

Killing an enemy with a physics prop, bomb explosion or other forms of non-direct killing cause enemies to drop twice as much gold. Kick explosive crates into dudes and detonate them. Kick minecarts into dudes. Pick up the emerald tablet in the tree or next to the lava lake on the first level, and punt it at dudes to oneshot them.

Your starting bomb wand can make an adequate offensive wand if you don't find anything better before the first Holy Mountain. It has an incredibly fast fire and recharge rate. Toss one of your spark bolts into that wand and you'll have something you can survive the next few floors with if your luck is horrible.

Invisibility is very, very powerful. It's catch is that you need to try to keep yourself free of stains for it to work. A single flask of invisibility will last you quite a long time if you play it right. If nothing else, you can use it as cover for getting through an enemy-dense area, just be careful not to stain yourself.

You can create a healing liquid called Lively Concoction. The recipe for this alchemy is based on your seed number. You can use THIS tool to input your seed value and determine your recipe for making lively concoction. Not every seed will have a feasible recipe to complete, but this is something important to check. Sometimes the ingredients can be as simple as soil, water and blood mixed together in liquid form.

There's a lot more to cover but those are some of the basics.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 7, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
1. Is this game supposed to crash to desktop then automatically relaunch every after every death?

2. Is it a known bug that 1 out of every 3 or 4 times I press spacebar, the levitation get stuck activated until the levitation resource runs out?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

GreatGreen posted:

1. Is this game supposed to crash to desktop then automatically relaunch every after every death?

2. Is it a known bug that 1 out of every 3 or 4 times I press spacebar, the levitation get stuck activated until the levitation resource runs out?

1. Yes
2. Not a problem for me but I jump with W, switched Space to kick.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
This game is ridiculous and amazing, the spell combinations you can pull off mid/lategame are really creative. Some of my favorites so far:

Spark Bolt with Double Trigger > Energy Orb x2 + Acid Trail: fires a Spark Bolt that immediately shits acid everywhere via 2 slow energy orbs. This was outright one-shotting most enemies in areas 4 and 5, not to mention deleting most of the floor in the process.

Double Spell + Bouncing Burst + Reduce Recharge Time + Electric Arc + Electric Charge in a wand with low cast time/recharge rate: drained the mana of the wand basically instantly but deleted anything I pointed it at. Also ended up killing me because electricity is scary unless you're immune to it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

At one point I got a wand with Always Cast: Coherent Light (I think. The green laser one). I was able to get the cooldown to almost nothing by throwing on three bouncy balls and two chainsaws. The knockback was insane, but it basically erased everything in front of me, including two Temple guards who were responding to worm intrusions. I eventually died because it was too hard to control, and on a later run got obliterated by a ghost wielding it. It's too bad that was probably a once in a lifetime wand (twice if you count the rear end in a top hat ghost).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tenebrais posted:

There's a bit of a conflict in the game's design between being a challenge and being a sandbox. All the charismatic fun the game is sold on, with crafting elaborate destructive spells, is locked behind a fairly frustrating gameplay challenge that regularly resets all the opportunities you found. Of course, that frustrating challenge is what roguelikes are about, and without it the game would ultimately be rather shallow as there wouldn't be much to use all your creations for.

The balance can be struck, but I don't think it's there yet. It needs to swing more into the sandbox side, at least early on. Giving more to play with up front would help, and the development is definitely heading in that direction. The suggestion to edit your wand anywhere as standard would help too.
I'm mostly here for the hilarious sandbox and dynamic magic tech and can't stand permadeath-likes (although i get why they went with the format to get more mileage out of their impressive generation tech), so if i have a wand and/or perk setup that i really like i'll just find a nice safe parking space (like a holy mountain shop) and "Save and Quit". Then i'll hop over to "C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save00" and throw player.salakieli and world_state.salakieli into a backup archive - this can probably even be automated with a quick desktop batch file bookmark. Now whenever i die i can just put those 2 files back (you actually only need the player file, since Noita regenerates the world if there's no existing world state) and mostly get a checkpoint to retry from. Does this possibly confuse some sanity consistency checks or stats in the game? Most likely. Does it go against the pure spirit of roguelikes and ruthlessly ignore existing balancing design? With extreme intent. Does it let me get more than 3 minutes with some hilarious wand roll or mean more than 50% of my playtime isn't retreading or rushing the first 2 zones or spending 20 seconds shuffling past the tutorial tunnel every time? Hell loving yeah. :toot:

Naturally it's not as ideal as having a softcore casul mode with f5/f9 quicksave/load binds, but considering you can batch automate the backup/restore file operations and the game auto-launches back into your save in like 2 seconds (at least if you disable steams cloud syncing) it's still a relatively comfortable no-third-party-tool low-effort workaround (that isn't just using CE tables to enable god or devmode). As a bonus side effect this allows you to manage and name multiple different literal saves, since they're just literal files.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 7, 2019

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So I've been playing for a while now, and I think I agree with what many people have said, that the game currently is awkwardly balanced between "sandbox to play with the cool toys" and "challenging spelunk-a-like".
Basically, you potentially have a shitload of neat options, but practically you never get to use most of them. I can think of a couple of things which would improve matters:

- Edit Wands Anywhere needs to be a default behavior, not a perk. At the moment, actually getting a good offensive wand is excessively difficult, partly because some of the basic projectiles are frankly poo poo. This causes knock-on problems too, in that you often have to take like three wands with an assortment of boring projectile spells to the end of the level so you can try and concoct a decent primary attack tool, which means sometimes leaving behind wands that contain the interesting utility spells, which limits your ability to engage with the neat physics system.

- There needs to be some kind of healing option between temples other than just "hope you work out how to make Lively Fluid". I have a suspicion that the current design is intended to use your health pool as a time pressure thing to disincentivise combing every floor for all the loot, like an equivalent to Spelunky's ghost. The problem is that it doesn't actually work. If you advance downwards without getting sufficiently good equipment, you're hosed anyway, so you end up still exploring when you're on 17HP, then dying to an unfortunate fire.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Worms (that you didn't spawn) angering the gods is such bullshit. That is all.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gonadic io posted:

Worms (that you didn't spawn) angering the gods is such bullshit. That is all.

It's true. Devs said that next patch will rework some unfair game mechanics and I imagine this has to be under consideration though

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The_White_Crane posted:

- Edit Wands Anywhere needs to be a default behavior, not a perk. At the moment, actually getting a good offensive wand is excessively difficult, partly because some of the basic projectiles are frankly poo poo. This causes knock-on problems too, in that you often have to take like three wands with an assortment of boring projectile spells to the end of the level so you can try and concoct a decent primary attack tool, which means sometimes leaving behind wands that contain the interesting utility spells, which limits your ability to engage with the neat physics system.

At first, I would have disagreed with you. I liked the feeling of getting through level by the skin of my teeth and whatever I could scavenge. Now, though, I completely agree. It punishes exploration outside of the default path, since every new place you visit without a holy mountain between you and it and experimentation, both of which are core themes in the game. I understand not wanting to mess with the flow of the game mid-level, but at least leave that choice to the player.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I'm on the side that thinks edit wands everywhere would defuse a lot of the tension when it comes to wand building and general tempo of the game. I kinda like the fact that you need to really ponder what you need and don't need as you travel down. Also, facilitating more death in the middle of editing wands doesn't seem good.
I thought about a compromise as I fell asleep last night, and I think allowing for a single spell edit per level would be enough. Perhaps regenerate that possibility as you kill enemies or something.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

or let you pull spells out of wands and let you toss spells on the ground, but not allow you to slot spells back into your wands without the perk

although that would lead to some run-ending misclicks, I guess.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 7, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think some sort of meta progression would help.

Maybe let you chuck spells into a hole and if you chuck in enough of the same type it unlocks it for a: guaranteed purchase at any shop, and b: available to start with, also giving you a small budget to pick your starting gear from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I still think some sort of meta progression would help.

Maybe let you chuck spells into a hole and if you chuck in enough of the same type it unlocks it for a: guaranteed purchase at any shop, and b: available to start with, also giving you a small budget to pick your starting gear from.

yeah this is like dead cells, right? let me throw currency at things in the Holy Mountain where I sacrifice money on my current run to allow a little more flexibility or guarantees in the future

I feel like the biggest problem i run into is getting bad rng with spells/wands where i can't keep up with the difficulty spike at level 3 because my damage just hasn't scaled fast enough.