Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cheers both.

Cheers both.

Overminty, I’m afraid we all know what happens to lagging comrades :commissar:

Edit: 1963, Jean Bastein-Thiry draws a serious short straw when all of the other conspirators convicted of attempting to assassinate CdG are pardoned by De Gaulle himself. Jean is shot.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Necrothatcher posted:

Not really UK related, but sad that the Kurds are getting hosed over once again by the US. Man those guys can't catch a break.

It sucks that everyone knew it was coming but they're threatening to release the 12000 Isis fighters they've got in prison as a result

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Millennials can't afford a house because they're buying pumpkin spice lattes and avocado toast but are also ruining the economy by saving too much and not spending.
:umberto:

namesake posted:

Nah there's some tankies (as in proper Stalinist ML Party members) who go in on "clearly this is primarily an element of class struggle but to unite with those members of the working class outraged by this we've got to start by addressing all the Muslims going around raping kids"
Tankies in 'regressive fuckwits' shocker.

There really needed to be a hardline feminist take on the issue from day one. Like "hey did you notice the one thing that all the people implicated in the grooming had in common that the PC media won't let you talk about? they're men"

Unfortunately there's a high crossover between those people and TERFs (and Stalinist ML and TERFs too, what a party :toot:)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Walks like a nazi, talks like a nazi, it's a loving nazi.

Eh chauvinist nationalist-minded authoritarians exist in a lot of non fascist varieties. Sometimes it's worth maintaining the distinction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bobstar posted:

:capitalism:

If Pizza Express fails, I'm not coming back to the UK any more :colbert:. They're my go-to hot food when I arrive in a strange city (quiet food snobs, it's predictable and I know my ridiculous digestion can take it!)

Dude I don't want to be too mean, but Wetherspoons do a better pizza, that should tell you how low your standards are

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

:capitalism:

If Pizza Express fails, I'm not coming back to the UK any more :colbert:. They're my go-to hot food when I arrive in a strange city (quiet food snobs, it's predictable and I know my ridiculous digestion can take it!)

I hope they don't fail. It's the only place where my entire family can eat out together with the various food-related diseases, allergies and intolerances. (Genuine ones not snowflake lifestyle ones).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Eh chauvinist nationalist-minded authoritarians exist in a lot of non fascist varieties. Sometimes it's worth maintaining the distinction.

What for? What are we hoping to gain by "Well actually.."-ing to defend people who agree with the fash on all of their headline issues?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Jose posted:

It sucks that everyone knew it was coming but they're threatening to release the 12000 Isis fighters they've got in prison as a result

It's going to be a shitshow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What about the actual loving post I quoted? Where, you know, they were (as coyly as possible) saying that the Rotherham case was about religion?

That post was UKIP as gently caress, yes. I wanted to see the other posts as well because people had already been saying that before just now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

But I need to fund my avocado addiction :negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ratjaculation posted:

Dude I don't want to be too mean, but Wetherspoons do a better pizza, that should tell you how low your standards are

With poo poo Food™ it's less about whether its better or worse thaan another place and more just whether its the specific kind of poo poo food you want at that time.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I hope they don't fail. It's the only place where my entire family can eat out together with the various food-related diseases, allergies and intolerances. (Genuine ones not snowflake lifestyle ones).

I like you.

Ratjaculation posted:

I do not like you.

(Ok I take it back but I'm perfectly aware of and happy with my rock-bottom food standards, and I'm not giving money to that dude)

Rarity posted:

But I need to fund my avocado addiction :negative:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What for? What are we hoping to gain by "Well actually.."-ing to defend people who agree with the fash on all of their headline issues?

Because while they hold similar attitudes to each other they present and conceive of themselves under totally different concepts and languages so blurring it all together just makes a mess of any attempts to criticise them directly or explain/warn others about them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

That post was UKIP as gently caress, yes. I wanted to see the other posts as well because people had already been saying that before just now.

I'm phone posting so searching is hard but just read his cspam UK thread post history

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pizza Express is: Fine.

Good for work lunches and pre-theater quick dinners.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ask are really good for that if you want Italian and have one in your area.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ask are really good for that if you want Italian and have one in your area.

Sadly no. In my sleepy backwater town Pizza Express is the only big name in town for a meal. There's a handful of independents but they don't cater to the lactose / gluten / vegan / quorn-free requirements of my family!

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Confused here; I'm sure i was told millennial's were chronic over-spenders stuffed to bursting with avocado and coffee.

Also at what point are the zoomers going to take some slack here, the average millennial is about 35 at this point and still shouldering the burden of being the cause of all societies problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avocado is horrible and I don't know how anyone eats it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Because while they hold similar attitudes to each other they present and conceive of themselves under totally different concepts and languages so blurring it all together just makes a mess of any attempts to criticise them directly or explain/warn others about them.

I'd say anyone who can't see "You're using exactly the same arguments as fascists" as legitimate criticism is way too far gone to be reached by any kind of good-faith argument and is only a few steps away from their own column in the Spectator.

We don't accept this in any other sphere - TERFs aren't treated more gently than other transphobes because they come from a leftist tradition, people ranting about ZOG aren't given a pass because they slap a Palestinian flag in their Twitter bio. Islamophobia is the language of genocide regardless of the political framework it is supposedly set in.

In fact I'd call anyone claiming to be of the left using Islamophobia as a campaigning issue is *worse* than a straight-up Nazi because they know - or at least *should* know - what they're doing. Either they believe what they're saying (in which case they are racist fuckheads and need a good punching) or they don't believe what they're saying and are willing to amplify the voice of the fash for some nebulous greater good, in which case they need an even better punching and possibly being thrown off Beachy Head.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just coming in to give my own horn a tiny toot, can't say too much about it without doxxing myself but I've been appointed as an independent (and unpaid!) advisor on a government advisory board, aiming to increase accessibility to work/volunteer in UK charities for all kinds of minority groups and disadvantaged peoples. If anyone has a horror story about trying to work at a charity and failing, shout up!

On the Pizza Express front, I've not worked in the industry for a few years but I would put money on it being a combination of trying to be a premium brand while at the same time chasing the budget market. Just a quick google tells me I can eat at my local Pizza Express for 30% off or better every single night this week, and offers don't build brand loyalty like they used to. Getting into a pissing match with Prezzo's (frozen cheese!) and Zizzi's didn't help - it just solidifies you as "same as" rather than "better than" in the eyes of the consumer, and then you're back to "who has the best discounts on this, the specific day I want to eat".

That leaves you in an awful spot between people expecting premium:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And expecting budget:

Ratjaculation posted:

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 7, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rustybear posted:

Also at what point are the zoomers going to take some slack here, the average millennial is about 35 at this point and still shouldering the burden of being the cause of all societies problems.

When these articles are written up it's safe to assume the zoomers are included because millennial is just being used as a code word for young people.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Don't eat the stone OP.

Anyway, if you thought XR were loving morons exclusively in the UK?

https://twitter.com/erkanallesffm/status/1181147274493267968?s=19

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Every time you read an article about millennials, just substitute that word for “people under forty” to see if it still makes sense.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's something that comes up in here from time to time, some philosopher or old politician talking about how it's fine for the poor to spend a bit on luxuries because it's how they deal with how much being poor sucks. Who was that? Anyone have a link to it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

Depends on what definition you use. I always went by "old enough to remember 9/11 but not old enough to buy alcohol that night" but some go by 1980-1995 and others consider 80-84 Xennials.

The oldest Gen Z is about 24, and they mostly get poo poo on for protesting instead of being at school/work and complaining about the environment while existing within it more than anything else. Give it 10 years and either Gen Z will be getting the same poo poo or Millennials will be calling Gen Z Millennials because Millennials just means 'bad' now.

OwlFancier posted:

I'd have thought grass cuttings but made of lard would be a Teesside delicacy. :v:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Okay but the point wasn't to treat either of them well it was to treat them differently.

As a counterpoint my support for the headline "open borders" means I agree with some stripes of uber libertarians and capitalists, doesn't make us the same or get the same reaction.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

RIP in peace Pizza Express you had more than one decent vegan option and I'll miss you

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

But is Nandos safe?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When things go bust I get the job of scouring work for all traces of their gift cards and destroying them, so I mark time by how many times I have to do that per year. I think I'm on about three this year :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Xr France are removing anti cop graffiti lol

https://twitter.com/YahooActuFR/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
gently caress le 17

Ratjaculation posted:

But is Nandos safe?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rustybear posted:

Confused here; I'm sure i was told millennial's were chronic over-spenders stuffed to bursting with avocado and coffee.

I did a poll on my FB a few months back including of local CLP members as to what they understood by the term 'millenial'. Most of them read 'millenial' and hear '18-30'. So they haven't upgraded the age in their heads. A bit like people haven't adjusted their view of what women in their 50s/60s are like these days compared to old grannies of yesteryear.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

There's something that comes up in here from time to time, some philosopher or old politician talking about how it's fine for the poor to spend a bit on luxuries because it's how they deal with how much being poor sucks. Who was that? Anyone have a link to it?

This bit from Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier?

"The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea. The half-crown spent on meat might represent a small joint and the materials for a stew; probably as often as not it would represent four or five tins of bully beef. The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes — an appalling diet.

Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we’ll all have a nice cup of tea!

That is how your mind works when you are at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Can I get a bird report from the bird experts (birxprts) itt?

saw this guy outside last night, moved it into some bushes and it was still there this morning shaking a bit. Is this a pigeon situation, and is it a fledgling? Feathers look downy but I'm not a birxprt. It could flap enough to jump out of my hands when I moved it but obviously it didn't fly away

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is there some global XR centre dictating that they need to be friendly with the police, or is this just the effect of a load of comfortable liberals first discovering protest?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i thought XR was gonna be some cointelpro poo poo but no of courss its just lovely libs

also i finally got my visa so i can stay here ... yayy ....

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bump_fn posted:

also i finally got my visa so i can stay here ... yayy ....

grats! we're all leaving now though, pied piper style into the brexit cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ratjaculation posted:

But is Nandos safe?

Corbyn is arranging for all of these other businesses to go bust to protect State-Commissary Nandos.