Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So what's with this whole narrative I keep seeing in U.S News articles now about Romney and the apparent price that he paid for daring to criticize Trump. Like oh poo poo be loving careful those who would dare make a statement against the dear leader.....hey may @ tweet and poo poo on you. The Horror..........as if he might not just randomly bitch about anything or anyone on twitter depending on what Hannity tells him to think that day.

Are we just at that point as a society where we take twitter drama and saving face on social media that seriously? Like I don't see the guy exactly losing any support back home in Utah where as far as I was aware they think Mitten is just the greatest. That's like a consistent narrative I'm hearing though, like Mitt Romney got bitch smacked by Trump on twitter as some sort of power move and it's really loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kyruer/status/1181142118095568897
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1181105062476689408

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Unoriginal Name posted:

America might want to sort out its concentration camp problem before attempting to become the moral arbiter of the world.

admin that just let some ethnic cleansing happen in another country cant be criticized until its concentration camps close

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Unoriginal Name posted:

America might want to sort out its concentration camp problem before attempting to become the moral arbiter of the world.

Why? It's never stopped us before.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Kale posted:

So what's with this whole narrative I keep seeing in U.S News articles now about Romney and the apparent price that he paid for daring to criticize Trump. Like oh poo poo be loving careful those who would dare make a statement against the dear leader.....hey may @ tweet and poo poo on you. The Horror..........as if he might not just randomly bitch about anything or anyone on twitter depending on what Hannity tells him to think that day.

Are we just at that point as a society where we take twitter drama and saving face on social media that seriously? Like I don't see the guy exactly losing any support back home in Utah where as far as I was aware they think Mitten is just the greatest. That's like a consistent narrative I'm hearing though, like Mitt Romney got bitch smacked by Trump on twitter as some sort of power move and it's really loving weird.

Current thought seems to be it's testing the waters with the R at least risk.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah the problem with Syria is that it was suffering from a critical lack of US ordinance falling from the sky.

Some more humanitarian bombings and it would be a success story like Libya.

Successful defined from the point of view of slave market operators of course

Yeah literally hanging US allies who fought and died for our interests out to dry is absolutely a good thing we should be doing.

Also this is going to massively piss off basically the entire us SOF community who spent a ton of time with our kurd allies fighting ISIS. They're absolutely going to take it really personally that everything they fought for and everyone they fought with is being completely thrown under a bus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kale posted:

theoretically it might gently caress Romney if he didn't live in Utah. as other people have said/guessed, the GOP may be using mittens as a stalker horse against trump.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

1glitch0 posted:

"I murdered my hooker. I also bought flowers for my wife. Should I go to jail for buying flowers for my wife???"

Does this really work on people?

I love how "who cares about crimes? Look at the unemployment and the stock market!' is a viable defense that we are supposed to take seriously. "Sure I set fire to the cat but I also cleaned up my room and cut the grass!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah literally hanging US allies who fought and died for our interests out to dry is absolutely a good thing we should be doing.

Also this is going to massively piss off basically the entire us SOF community who spent a ton of time with our kurd allies fighting ISIS. They're absolutely going to take it really personally that everything they fought for and everyone they fought with is being completely thrown under a bus.

yeah. this won't help trump in his news cycle woes(it was never intended to try to change poo poo narratively, it just came out at a bad time because lol) its just gonna make poo poo worse and piss off more people who he needs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

theoretically it might gently caress Romney if he didn't live in Utah. as other people have said/guessed, the GOP may be using mittens as a stalker horse against trump.

Not sure about the chances of success since he already has a horse stalker as his vp.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

stalking horse:

1. a false pretext concealing someone's real intentions.

"you have used me simply as a stalking horse for some of your more outrageous views"

2. a screen traditionally made in the shape of a horse behind which a hunter can stay concealed when stalking prey.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/OIRSpox/status/1180442385479868416?s=20

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's a huge gently caress you to the armed forces in general to say 'hey all this work you guys busted your rear end for was for nothing and the dudes you lived side by side with can get hosed.' Especially to the SOF community who were straight up living with SDF units and operating hand in hand through the single biggest deployment USSOF has been involved in post Iraq/Afghanistan

I'm curious how it's going to shake out because even accounting for how stupid a lot of govt types are about basic 'how to run a functional foreign policy' this is another absolutely boneheaded move that is transparently stupid to anyone who knows even a three sentence summary of us involvement there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IDK guys I think there's a difference between letting a NATO ally genocide the people we used as meatshields to destroy ISIS and the ethnic cleansing of the Uighurs by China that makes the two situations not really comparable

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

its actually extremely leftist to leave leftist allies out to get genocided and being like all they do is kill each other what can you do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

rscott posted:

IDK guys I think there's a difference between letting a NATO ally genocide the people we used as meatshields to destroy ISIS and the ethnic cleansing of the Uighurs by China that makes the two situations not really comparable

Ignoring the second half of this, the meatshields were the Iraqi PMUs and security forces, SDF were treated as equals and allies and were generally well regarded and respected by US forces. poo poo they were one of the few times the US has ever backed a regional military faction that didn't end up being a clown show. Operationally the US and the SDF pulled off some ridiculous stuff.

Berke Negri posted:

its actually extremely leftist to leave leftist allies out to get genocided and being like all they do is kill each other what can you do

I just wish we could trade internet leftists for kurds in this scenario. It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Have we come again to the realization that the Office of the US is used and abused by Industry and Evangelical Fruitcakes and that the military is just an extension to be used to further grift so people like Cheney can have Halliburton get billions, build oil pipelines and label them US interests while people like W can play Crusade killing brown people.

Maybe that’s why Trump is upset cause he’s doing the same thing but isn’t getting praise. He also sucks at it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Better invade China then I guess. That should go well.

The United States is not the world police or humanity's benevolent daddy. It is not the place of the US to bumble into every genocidal shitshow just to see how much harder we can possibly gently caress it up.

You are right. But when you are the only reason it does not happen because you are already there doesn't mean you go "Lol, not my problem" and toss your hands up. Especially if they're your loving allies.

But you do you

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Unoriginal Name posted:

I've got great news for this mayonnaise decaf take - allowing a bunch of kurds be slaughtered and putting kids in concentration camps exist in moral alignment.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ignoring the second half of this, the meatshields were the Iraqi PMUs and security forces, SDF were treated as equals and allies and were generally well regarded and respected by US forces. poo poo they were one of the few times the US has ever backed a regional military faction that didn't end up being a clown show. Operationally the US and the SDF pulled off some ridiculous stuff.

I just wish we could trade internet leftists for kurds in this scenario. It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

our president who i hope we all agree is running concentration camps is handing over the lives of this extremely in danger population fighting for their lives to a country run by a dictator that wants to steamroll and kill all of them

well at least we're out

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Good thing that say what u will about trump he won't start a war *Trump literally tells turkey 'go for it' about starting a new war in the middle east*

Gatts posted:

Have we come again to the realization that the Office of the US is used and abused by Industry and Evangelical Fruitcakes and that the military is just an extension to be used to further grift so people like Cheney can have Halliburton get billions, build oil pipelines and label them US interests while people like W can play Crusade killing brown people.

Maybe that’s why Trump is upset cause he’s doing the same thing but isn’t getting praise. He also sucks at it.

This is like the US withdrawing before halliburton even had a chance to grift a trillion dollars out of the reconstruction. Yeah the US does stupid stuff, but normally it's at least making some lovely old white guy rich, this is just stupid stuff for the sake of stupid stuff

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

this agreement still has us in syria, btw, unless im mistaken, we just moved to the other side of the board and said yeah do the bad things you want to do

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181172459325800448
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181172465772482563
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181172467676565505

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

god i hate him so much

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Berke Negri posted:

our president who i hope we all agree is running concentration camps is handing over the lives of this extremely in danger population fighting for their lives to a country run by a dictator that wants to steamroll and kill all of them

well at least we're out

And it's likely for personal gain.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1181172643199889408

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is this Syria situation?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I believe this same attitude is what pissed off so many middle easterners in the first place

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

There we go.. fully abandon US foreign policy and literally all of our allies in the region in an isolationist move to help out the Turks and Russians. This is actually what he should be impeached for, the absolute waste of US military and diplomatic advantages in the middle east.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
The US was in a legit strong position in syria where there was a ton of potential to negotiate, say, handovers of the vital oil facilities we were basing SOF out of in exchange for concessions and for once in the entire history of the US, were actually popular with ascendant groups on the ground and instead it all just got pissed away for literally nothing.

It's one of the most stunningly total failures of foreign policy ever. Textbooks will probably be written on this.

E: After ISIS was first pushed back the US and US supported allies controlled most of Syria's oil fields and were basing out of the major oil processing facilities and most of the significant international pipelines were crossing us/us allied controlled areas. As a position to negotiate from, it was exceptionally strong.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 7, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

trumps literally talking about the sacrifices of kurds in corporate cost/benefit terms whats it matter to me anymore and the anti-anti-trump left will still carry water how any impeachment stuff against him is just deep state coming after him for not pursuing wars enough

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

For the Kurds? -666

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

The US was in a legit strong position in syria where there was a ton of potential to negotiate, say, handovers of the vital oil facilities we were basing SOF out of in exchange for concessions and for once in the entire history of the US, were actually popular with ascendant groups on the ground and instead it all just got pissed away for literally nothing.

It's one of the most stunningly total failures of foreign policy ever. Textbooks will probably be written on this.

Absolutely. I would rather him launch some cruise missiles at empty airbases than take this move. It's the dumbest thing possible and does nothing to help anyone 'figure the situation out' except in the :chaostrump: sense.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1181171727453364225?s=20

when these chucklefucks can't even defend it it's absurdly bad

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Kurds should have built a Trump Tower. The US hasn’t gone to war against a country that has built a Trump building.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1181164863906881536

Kale
May 14, 2010

It wouldn't be a recreation of Watergate without the backdrop of the U.S abandoning it's would be allies in a region that was formally considered vitally strategic to a key foreign policy, but now apparently no longer. Though the withdrawal from Saigon was the result of years of deliberation and reversal of foreign policy as public opinion started to swing wildly against the Vietnam War and "containment" policy regarding communism. This just seems like another Trumpian Whim and I doubt that even after 2 decades of being involved in Middle Eastern military affairs that the average American is even familiar with the Kurds or Syria at all and probably thinks the mentions of Turkey is just referring to Thanksgiving coming up. I also fully count on the mainstream media to cover this whole story in the dumbest sound bite driven way possible somehow like it always does.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yikes!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Kale posted:

It wouldn't be a recreation of Watergate without the backdrop of the U.S abandoning it's would be allies in a region that was formally considered vitally strategic to a key foreign policy, but now apparently no longer. Though the withdrawal from Saigon was the result of years of deliberation and reversal of foreign policy as public opinion started to swing wildly against the Vietnam War and "containment" policy regarding communism. This just seems like another Trumpian Whim and I doubt that even after 2 decades of being involved in Middle Eastern military affairs that the average American is even familiar with the Kurds or Syria at all and probably thinks the mentions of Turkey is just referring to Thanksgiving coming up. I also fully count on the mainstream media to cover this whole story in the dumbest sound bite driven way possible somehow like it always does.

thank you, for this needless post

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump hates socialism so much he's letting the turks destroy rojava.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1181159348543860736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

A lot of the long term push for support of the Kurds was that a Kurdish state would've been in an extremely favorable location wrt US geopolitical concerns, would've been extremely favorably disposed to the US, would've already had US military bases and infrastructure in place as well as a legacy of cooperation with US forces and, ultimately, would serve a similar role as an ally as Israel does, but without most of the baggage. Plus the Kurds are one of the most sympathetic groups in the entire region who share a ton of traditionally cosmopolitan euro-american values.

Also depending on how things shaked out, a kurdistan could've been sitting on some very large oil reserves and would've been crossed by a number of important ME-Europe oil pipelines. There was a very real potential for essentially a generational foreign policy success and it was 80% complete when Trump took office, too.