Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I work in a call center

One of the high points of working I.T. solo on the graveyard shift at a call center was being given a shoulder slung vacuum and an order to clean the workstations.

All 400 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

One of the high points of working I.T. solo on the graveyard shift at a call center was being given a shoulder slung vacuum and an order to clean the workstations.

All 400 of them.

Well at least you know what you're doing that shift :v:

How's life, DT?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Last week at work has been fun and exciting - got to clean up a bunch of old-rear end VMs from projects that shut down years ago. Just deleting a few of the VMs freed up something like 5 TB of storage. Which had disks that had died and threatening to take the whole SAN down. But we weren't getting the alerts because the previous Infrastructure team lead had the alerts being sent only to his email account. I was looking around in the SAN and changed the alerts to go out to the team and suddenly we were getting a dozen emails every day. And the SAN was not under a maintenance contract. Sr Engineer got frantic and shot an email to the big boss telling him we need money. Big boss wants to know how much we actually need so we can do some budgeting.

Since I'm the only one available I started calling vendors and requesting quotes. Also decided that we needed to get a handle on inventory and found Snipe-IT. Tested it out and our intern and I both liked it. Got a Zebra printer and started entering assets into the system and populating the database. Once that was up and running our Horizon 7 cluster decided to take a poo poo, with 2 of the 4 ancient-as-gently caress Supermicro blade servers dying and dumping their loads on the remaining 2. Without knowing much about View or Horizon I started working on the new cluster we've had sitting there running for like 9 months now but never had time to work on. The only person who knew anything about it left 6 months ago. So I spent part of last week watching some videos and reading my "Mastering VMware Horizon 7" book while I build an image and test it out. Happy to say that I was able to deploy it and I'm moving on to adding Thinapps. Having quite a bit of fun honestly.

I think the fun is going to end in about 4 weeks, which is about the time the 60 day recovery period our division director decreed that exempted me from working on anything but our development network. I don't know that they've bothered to even interview anyone for the Infrastructure team lead position, or for the 2 additional positions we've got requisitions in place. So if anyone is looking for a job in Dayton, OH you can PM me and I'll send you a link for the postings. Doesn't really matter if you have a clearance, as the company will sponsor you for one - just be sure that there's nothing really egregious that might prevent you from getting a TS. It took me 15 months to finally get mine, so the company has no problem with hiring people and paying them while they wait to get cleared.

Oh, and it's good to see you again DT!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Do you like hockey

Do you like craft beer

Do you like coney dogs

Do you like baseball

If so move to Detroit

Do you hate incredibly high insurance premiums?

Do you hate cold winters and cold springs?

Do you hate roads so bad that the state passed a law absolving themselves from responsibility if you damage your car hitting a pothole?

Do you hate the rest of the state (except Grand Rapids) being redder than the Deep South?

If so, stay the gently caress away from Michigan. :v:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Dick Trauma posted:

All 400 of them.

Oh boy I suddenly don't feel so bad that I was asked to move a bookcase out of an exec's office last week. At least I get to watch netflix and relax in peace on our dead days.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I would not move to Michigan again if I was offered double what I’m making now. Nothing is worth the 9 months of grey coldness and mountains of snow piles.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigass Moth posted:

I would not move to Michigan again if I was offered double what I’m making now. Nothing is worth the 9 months of grey coldness and mountains of snow piles.

But you can join the rat race in driving 3-4 hours "up north" every weekend for three months out of the year and get 7mpg pulling a camper trailer with your $60k pickup truck and stopping at jerky stores and pasty shops

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bob Morales posted:

But you can join the rat race in driving 3-4 hours "up north" every weekend for three months out of the year and get 7mpg pulling a camper trailer with your $60k pickup truck and stopping at jerky stores and pasty shops

I think you mean $100k quadruple rolled over underwater truck loan but the rest seems spot on.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I hated that poo poo. Everyone would be gone every weekend. There was never anything to do!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Owner of the company brought his laptop in, is sitting at the department collaboration table with my manager and another IT person.

They're installing a new version of his flight simulator software.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well, why not? :sun:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

Owner of the company brought his laptop in, is sitting at the department collaboration table with my manager and another IT person.

They're installing a new version of his flight simulator software.

It's not business related, its just the guy signing their paychecks and determining their raises asking for a friendly favor in the office during business hours.

What's so harmful in that

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's not business related, its just the guy signing their paychecks and determining their raises asking for a friendly favor in the office during business hours.

What's so harmful in that

I do this all the time for people who have 0 input in my pay, I mostly like my coworkers. But strictly under "Everything required for me to do this right now is present and available".

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Every minute that my CEO is playing a computer game, playing a round of golf or boffing his secretary is a minute that he's not coming up with 'clever' new ideas and strategies for the business.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Shut up Meg posted:

Every minute that my CEO is playing a computer game, playing a round of golf or boffing his secretary is a minute that he's not coming up with 'clever' new ideas and strategies for the business.

My CEO inked a 5 year deal with colo for compute costs that are 10 times that of azure. It comes with guarantees where we are required to have a minimum amount of infrastructure plus an annual growth of that minimum number of about 5%. We are rewarded with this guaranteed business by having SLA's without monetary penalties and some of the worst support anywhere.

The deal is so laughable that you can't overlook the obvious fraud taking place.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

The deal is so laughable that you can't overlook the obvious fraud taking place.

This. You just gotta see the bigger picture. Kickbacks!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I still haven't quite gotten a handle on how this works in MI, having to like "go out to the country" to get away from the urban chaos. I'm a bit spoiled in WNY on that front I think. Yeah people go camping or have seasonal sites, but you can also take an hour drive to a state park, beach, festival, market, nature, whatever. I can't generalize the whole state of Michigan as much as I would often want to. There's obviously more metro area and the lifestyle that comes with it, but, plenty of other things to enjoy as well.

Regarding the snow, for however much of that we'll get in the future, it is what it is. I don't mind shoveling all that much, and I enjoy the serenity that comes with a fresh snowfall. Probably the worst of it is having to get into an ice cold car and not be able to run with the windows down and the music up. But you can't do that in the middle of a forest fire, torrential downpour, or tornado either.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hence why you move to SoCal. Sure it’s more expensive, but you get better roads, 99% tile weather, and internet that is actually good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
When you get up at 4 am to shovel your driveway every day for six months straight you will have a different opinion on snow.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

When you get up at 4 am to shovel your driveway every day for six months straight you will have a different opinion on snow.

Why are you not investing in a snowblower by that point?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

At least most of Michigan isn't as bad as the UP. You'd have an even more different opinion on snow, especially when you're still getting a couple inches at least in May.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

DelphiAegis posted:

Why are you not investing in a snowblower by that point?

I was going to but we smartly moved before the next winter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Since getting a house with a garage, I don't even bother shoveling anymore. I just open the garage and gun it. The car clears its own path with enough speed! :effort:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Coincidentally I do this, partly because I can't run a snowblower at that hour.

Would I rather be asleep not doing this? Yes, absolutely. But it's not the worst thing in the world. Nite shoveling the goal is to pop a beer in the snow and get the shoveling done before it ices over.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bigass Moth posted:

Maybe it's just the Canada talking but I do not mind this. Also it's 8 months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Partycat posted:

I still haven't quite gotten a handle on how this works in MI, having to like "go out to the country" to get away from the urban chaos. I'm a bit spoiled in WNY on that front I think. Yeah people go camping or have seasonal sites, but you can also take an hour drive to a state park, beach, festival, market, nature, whatever. I can't generalize the whole state of Michigan as much as I would often want to. There's obviously more metro area and the lifestyle that comes with it, but, plenty of other things to enjoy as well.

Regarding the snow, for however much of that we'll get in the future, it is what it is. I don't mind shoveling all that much, and I enjoy the serenity that comes with a fresh snowfall. Probably the worst of it is having to get into an ice cold car and not be able to run with the windows down and the music up. But you can't do that in the middle of a forest fire, torrential downpour, or tornado either.

Sometimes you want more than a state park. If you want to really get out in the sticks, for most of us city folks it means a long haul. I drove 400 miles this past weekend to get away from Chicago and enjoy fall colors in northern Wisconsin. It was a hell of a drive but it was worth it and I'm having a war in my head whether I want to do it again this weekend.

And snow shoveling is a great workout, I piss and moan all summer about having to cut the grass. But 6 inches of snow drops? That's manual labor I actually enjoy. Somehow.

(just make sure to do a warm up or wear a scarf if you've got heart issues, snow shoveling is a documented heart attack trigger)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

Sometimes you want more than a state park. If you want to really get out in the sticks, for most of us city folks it means a long haul. I drove 400 miles this past weekend to get away from Chicago and enjoy fall colors in northern Wisconsin. It was a hell of a drive but it was worth it and I'm having a war in my head whether I want to do it again this weekend.

And snow shoveling is a great workout, I piss and moan all summer about having to cut the grass. But 6 inches of snow drops? That's manual labor I actually enjoy. Somehow.

(just make sure to do a warm up or wear a scarf if you've got heart issues, snow shoveling is a documented heart attack trigger)

Ah yeah, I'd call a nice country drive and a stop out for lunch or something the opposite of pissing someone off. I've driven through up there a few times, and yeah once you get north of Madison things calm down a bit, but there's still enough highway to pass and get around the invariable putz who is always going 5 under in their jalopy. I made the mistake of taking a scenic drive out here on a cross county route once with nice winding roads and some good views of Lake Ontario, only to find that you can't pass because of the winding hills, and when you can people were too chicken poo poo to pass the semis that formed a rolling roadblock. That was a good signal to stop and get a bite or take a break.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Normally I'd be all :smug: about ~~ALASKA IS COLDER~~ in a conversation like this, however last winter was way nicer up here than the WI/MN winter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I grew up in Anchorage an these days it's funny+sad to load up webcams in January and see the city gets inches of snow now.

When I lived there in the 90's everything would be buried and the snow berms would be so big the city would have to send graders through to push them back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bigass Moth posted:

Did you live in Marquette or something? This is not a thing anywhere in Michigan except, like, the UP. Shoveling is for chumps anyway.

But good news, thanks to climate change, our average yearly snowfall has decreased dramatically! I grew up in GR and the change in winter weather even just from my childhood to now has been incredibly noticeable, and I'm in my 30's.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

I grew up in Anchorage an these days it's funny+sad to load up webcams in January and see the city gets inches of snow now.

When I lived there in the 90's everything would be buried and the snow berms would be so big the city would have to send graders through to push them back.

I swear the city is trucking in snow to make berms to block the sidewalks and kill intersection visibility because that's still a problem despite only having 2 inches of snow at a time last winter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I lived in Grand Rapids in the winters of 13 and 14 which I understand were the worst in many years and have been milder since.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Since getting a house with a garage, I don't even bother shoveling anymore. I just open the garage and gun it. The car clears its own path with enough speed! :effort:

This is my approach too. My driveway is pretty steep, I'd eyeball it at around 10-15%, so it gets a bit hairy when things are icy but winter tires are magical things.

For some reason neither of my housemates are willing to admit this though, so we have a beast of a two stage snowblower that can clear enough for all-seasons to make it in about five minutes. Sucks to be them on winter mornings, I'm curled up comfortably in bed.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I swear the city is trucking in snow to make berms to block the sidewalks and kill intersection visibility because that's still a problem despite only having 2 inches of snow at a time last winter.

I mean, they certainly do that for the Iditarod with how poor the snow's been the last few years. It's always funny when I leave my apartment the day before it starts and the city has just made a mountain of snow in the middle of the street.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

At least the west side of the state gets snow. We haven't really gotten poo poo in about 3 years.

Not that it matters, as I have a 4x4 and snow blower. :smug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can remember when I was a kid we would occasionally get snow on Halloween in southwestern PA. Now though, we really don't get "winter" until Jan or Feb.

It was 89 on October 3rd.

The high on new years eve/new years day last year was 61 (the temp peaked at like 11pm-2am). We had windows open at my new year's party.

Of course, the year before that it as high of 12 with a low of -3.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
My area has 10cm(~4") of snow forcasted for this evening :canada:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're shovelling snow six months of the year then I think I'd seriously consider those driveway heater things.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're shovelling snow six months of the year then I think I'd seriously consider those driveway heater things.

That poo poo's expensive. Shovelling at least makes one get some exercise in an otherwise dead yearly period. Though, by February I must say I'm kinda sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I learned during my detour into heart attack land is that shoveling snow is like super super deadly.

I'm serious. My one month followup with my cardiologist basically went like this.

Doctor: "Your heart function is normal from the echo. You have no activity restrictions, none. Well, except if this wasn't May. Then I would tell you that shoveling show is forbidden."

It's a combination of using muscles you aren't usually using in a motion that you don't normally do, leading to extra strain at a time of year when you might be more sedentary, combined with cold air that causes your blood vessels to constrict, spiking your blood pressure, depriving your heart of oxygen, and making it beat faster. Basically it's a recipe for worst case outcome if you were to develop a clot/blockage.