Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It would be too hard not to spin donuts so I've always stayed off the greens :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Typical around here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEmeXS9iVs

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

These fuckers don't even try to move into the lane as much as possible. He could have cranked that wheel and put most of his truck into the turn lane but no, he barely gets in and hangs his rear end out half in the lane because he apparently wants to get rear ended.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A car broke down, on an on ramp, not even past the merge point. This is also an on ramp used exclusively by an industrial district and has virtually no traffic. 3 lanes of the highway, plus an additional lane for the last couple hundred feet of the on ramp came to a dead stop. The idiots were so determined to all cram I into the far left lane people were stopping sideways across lanes of traffic. It was as if the stranded car had herpes or something, nobody wanted to drive within 30 feet of the car. The highway ended up backing up for 2 miles, all because of a single broken down car that wasn't even legally on the highway yet. I could understand if it was like on fire or even had an ambulance or signs of an accident, but nope, someone probably just ran out of gas or had a similar non violent failure. I despise the drivers morons I share the road with

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, that type of behavior always amazes me. You are sitting in a jam for a while. Then when you coast by it is something like you said. Guess herd mentality.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People here routinely slow down and even occasionally pull over for emergency vehicles coming the other way. On divided highways.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This week I had a two-mile backup on my normally uncongested trip to work, because of a smashed up Smart Car on the OTHER SIDE of the tollway. Not a thing wrong with any of the northbound lanes but gosh we gotta slow down and look at it

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I sat in four hours of backed up highway traffic before cause some citizen police had us all stuck in 1 lane miles before the three lanes merged to one. Very frustrating

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
These are the morons you share the beach with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3P48u-Jt6z/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/baxbooksdeux/status/1180397899261198336?s=20

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you're in the carpool lane, and you're being passed by people not in the carpool lane, get the gently caress out of the carpool lane.

This especially applies to school buses.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Phanatic posted:

If you're in the carpool lane, and you're being passed by people not in the carpool lane, get the gently caress out of the carpool lane.

This especially applies to school buses.

But I need to take a left exit in 10 miles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Not my video, but how?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_F1APUWkss

edit: At about 35 seconds.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If I had to guess, the driver was looking at his cellphone/texting/otherwise distracted.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

To their credit, they didn't stop in the middle of a busy highway to look at their fender bender.

Unrelated, but you ever have one of those days where you have to get out and check that your signal lights are still working?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Powershift posted:

Unrelated, but you ever have one of those days where you have to get out and check that your signal lights are still working?

I know what ya mean. It's them, not you.

None the less, I still check my signals and headlights now and then. I use the neighbor's bumper like a mirror while I buckle up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

nm posted:

Not my video, but how?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_F1APUWkss

edit: At about 35 seconds.

Remarkable that a relatively minor collision managed to disable the turn signals on both vehicles.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FBS posted:

Remarkable that a relatively minor collision managed to disable the turn signals on both vehicles.

Those were removed as part of the process of licensing and titling the car in California.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Powershift posted:

To their credit, they didn't stop in the middle of a busy highway to look at their fender bender.

The correct way to announce and be understood in your desire to shift lanes is to slowly and erratically drift back and forth over the line a few times, if drivers in my area are indicative

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A left merge also indicates the drive could have been checking over his or her shoulder for a clear lane, just took too long to do it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXZz2Iro3JI

One of those people that get right in front of you immediately after overtaking and gradually slow down making you have to pass them, repeat process.

:discourse:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lord Stimperor posted:

The correct way to announce and be understood in your desire to shift lanes is to slowly and erratically drift back and forth over the line a few times, if drivers in my area are indicative

Yeah, I think this is true everywhere. Don't forget randomly attempting to merge into the side of your car before veering back into their own lane at least once.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nsaP posted:

I sat in four hours of backed up highway traffic before cause some citizen police had us all stuck in 1 lane miles before the three lanes merged to one. Very frustrating

God these people are insufferable. People are dumb and not using all the lanes to prevent traffic from backing up too much (and making it all take longer), but people who block lanes are even worse.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MrOnBicycle posted:

God these people are insufferable. People are dumb and not using all the lanes to prevent traffic from backing up too much (and making it all take longer), but people who block lanes are even worse.

"BUT THEY'RE CUTTING IN LINE" i scream before pulling my pistol and brandishing because i am a very responsible gun owner

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

yamdankee posted:

One of those people that get right in front of you immediately after overtaking and gradually slow down making you have to pass them, repeat process.

:discourse:

On the one hand, gently caress people who do that. On the other, what exactly did he do to get pulled over? Unfortunately such behavior isn't illegal as far as I know.

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
It looked like it was because of the "drifting around the lanes" thing they were doing.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

FBS posted:

This week I had a two-mile backup on my normally uncongested trip to work, because of a smashed up Smart Car on the OTHER SIDE of the tollway. Not a thing wrong with any of the northbound lanes but gosh we gotta slow down and look at it

Ah, yes. The (in)famous Gapers' Delay. (Rubbernecking for the non-Chicago folk).

There are only 2 seasons in the Chicago Metropolitan Area: Winter and construction.

Also, as an honest question, does anyone else use the term "Gapers'" outside of the Chicago area? I'm genuinely curious.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

One Nut Wonder posted:

Also, as an honest question, does anyone else use the term "Gapers'" outside of the Chicago area? I'm genuinely curious.

Never heard it in Florida, NC, or Mississippi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've lived around Chicago for 18 years and never heard anyone say "gapers."

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I like them on my salmon, chicken piccata, and they go particularly well on a nice puttanesca sauce

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

yamdankee posted:

I like them on my salmon, chicken piccata, and they go particularly well on a nice puttanesca sauce

I legitimately thought it was a weird spelling of capers myself.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The goatse guy is a gaper.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

One Nut Wonder posted:

Ah, yes. The (in)famous Gapers' Delay. (Rubbernecking for the non-Chicago folk).

There are only 2 seasons in the Chicago Metropolitan Area: Winter and construction.

Gaper delay is used in the Philadelphia area.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

One Nut Wonder posted:

I've never heard it uttered by actual people, just on the traffic reports on WGN, maybe WBEZ too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How is it pronounced?

Gaper as in "Cheerio good man, please mind the gap exiting the train" or gay-per as in, um, yeah, goatse guy?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

The goatse guy is a gaper.

Literally the first place my filthy mind went as well.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Gaper is a skier term too, for the clueless beginner with a huge gap between their ill-fitting helmet and goggles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

How is it pronounced?

Gaper as in "Cheerio good man, please mind the gap exiting the train" or gay-per as in, um, yeah, goatse guy?
I'd have to imagine the latter, because the former (and jamal's version) would probably be spelled differently ("gapper"), and because the verb that it's presumably referring to is "gape".

jamal posted:

Gaper is a skier term too, for the clueless beginner with a huge gap between their ill-fitting helmet and goggles.
To that point, see slidebite's question too, please.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

slidebite posted:

How is it pronounced?

I would assume it's gay-per, from the verb "gape", "to stare wonderingly or stupidly, often with the mouth open." Anyways, if it was from "gap" it would have two P's: gapper.

e:f,b phone posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Craptacular posted:

I would assume it's gay-per, from the verb "gape", "to stare wonderingly or stupidly, often with the mouth open." Anyways, if it was from "gap" it would have two P's: gapper.

e:f,b phone posting

It's this.