Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yeah, it goes. One third of the way through now. Parts of it feel a little abrupt but I prefer the pacing to some of the slower books, like 5.

I really want the next book now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yay new Verus. Time to reup my Audible membership.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Book was good. Pacing feels a little fast and rough in the first third-ish, but having pre-read chapters 1-2 and switched to an audiobook at around 40%... yeah. Things level out at around then, maintaining the fast clip straight through to the end.

A lot of things didn't work out how I expected and there were lots of :stare: moments. No regrets buying it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Xtanstic posted:

Yay new Verus. Time to reup my Audible membership.

Audiobook isn't out until 10/10

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

tithin posted:

Audiobook isn't out until 10/10

I'm confused... I see it just fine? https://www.audible.ca/pd/Fallen-Au...QCACQ5DGM3JTJ7Z

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm using Audible US and it's showing as a preorder due 10/10

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i only get the book in two weeks because of the antipodes and I'm Not Happy!
pretty please use spoilers for it :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tithin posted:

That's really bizarre. I'm Audible US and I just spent my credit on it. I'm listening to it now.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

tithin posted:

The Peter Grant books used to drop in the UK before NA but it's weird that the Verus would drop in Canada 2 weeks before the US release?

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

tithin posted:

It looks like there are 2 versions on Audible, the one with that cover is from the UK.

UK - https://www.audible.com/pd/Fallen-Audiobook/0356511138
US - https://www.audible.com/pd/Fallen-Audiobook/197733783X

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nullset posted:

It looks like there are 2 versions on Audible, the one with that cover is from the UK.

UK - https://www.audible.com/pd/Fallen-Audiobook/0356511138
US - https://www.audible.com/pd/Fallen-Audiobook/197733783X

Title Not For Sale In This Country/Region
We're sorry, Audible is not authorized to sell this title in your country/region. Please consider another book.

Copyright laws strike again.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Verus book was good. It almost felt like a Schaefer book with the pacing, wtf moments, and twists.

Interested to see where the last two books go because it sounds like they will be Alex and Anne’s personal versions of Kill Bill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I kinda wish it had had more filler. It's just BAM BAM BAM poo poo GOING DOWN for fifteen chapters then it's done. I want some lulls! Some background! Some worldbuilding! I waited a year!

It felt more like a movie than a novel. Two hours of KABLAM and then we wait a year for the next one >_<

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I would guess that this book and the last book were originally outlined as a single story and the got split due to length. Jacka’s original outline was 10 books. I think the last few just ended up being more complex and longer than planned. Everything in this book is way more dependent on the last book than any other books and there is very little recap like there was in past books.

I don’t know what a satisfying conclusion to the series looks like either at this point. Richard dead? The Light Council dissolved/reformed? Levistus dead? Anne and Alex living happily ever after? I just have no concept for what a conclusion would look like for this series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawlicaust posted:

I would guess that this book and the last book were originally outlined as a single story and the got split due to length. Jacka’s original outline was 10 books. I think the last few just ended up being more complex and longer than planned. Everything in this book is way more dependent on the last book than any other books and there is very little recap like there was in past books.

I don’t know what a satisfying conclusion to the series looks like either at this point. Richard dead? The Light Council dissolved/reformed? Levistus dead? Anne and Alex living happily ever after? I just have no concept for what a conclusion would look like for this series.

my satisfying conclusion: Verus and Anne get a happily ever after. Anne's personality unifies. Verus gets a normal hand again. Richard and the Light Council wipe each other out. Caldera ends up in charge of Magical Britain, under new Accords that also protect adepts and normals.

I'm not sure who runs the magic shop, or what happens to Luna and Vari.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 25, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My guess:

Not sure how Caldera will work out, but there's only two options. Either something happens and she grows as a character, evolves- or Verus kills her. Likely I see the both of them squaring off and getting interrupted by Vihaela or The Silence and doing an impromptu team-up, a rehash of a previous fight. She doesn't trust him, he doesn't trust her, but it's the best they can hope for. A mutual, wary respect.

If she survives, she advances in the Keepers as result- having taken down someone important enough that she finally gets The Nod, and a promotion. Alternatively, she gets a posthumous promotion.

Rain and Sonder get promoted to the Council. With hardliners like Sarque and Levistus out, and a lot of battle mages dead on both sides, Mage power in Britain wanes. Concessions are made to the government and the adepts; magical ID proposal finally gains traction. Light and Dark societies become more integrated ( paralleling what happens with Alex and Anne ).

Luna rises to a prominent position; possibly head of some adept political body, straddling the line between mages and adepts.

Vari- don't know. Wouldn't be surprised if he died fighting Sagash or Jagadev. More likely, I think he'll be presented with the chance to go for a kill or walk away- and he'll go for the later, since his whole arc has been about tempering his hot personality. Growing up. And whoever he walks away from will do the villain thing of taking a dying strike instead of saving themselves, and die for it.

Rachel and Cinder rise in the ashes of the post-Richard Dark society. Cinder's relationship with Sonder matters.

Morden ???. I can't see him dying but dunno.

Richard ???. I still think he's playing a great game to orchestrate the political changes with Morden.

Alex and Anne 'die'; Alex takes Anne into Elsewhere, vanishing into another world, or changing their external identities. Both survive, scarred, and very different, no longer who they were, no longer able to contact anyone they knew- but, if not happy, then content with each other, living in New Zealand or something. Perhaps both end up having to give up their magic in order to accomplish it.

Book ends with Alex thinking something like, "For the first time in years I had no idea what was going to happen next- and it didn't scare me."

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I liked it, but I agree that it was very quick and could have benefited from being a little less on rails. Still a good series though and I definitely didn't expect half the book to be people dying and Arachne leaving.

Now the wait for Peace Talks...

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Just finished Small Favor and started Turn Coat on my audiobook reread. I’ve never listened to the audiobooks before but I’m already dreading getting to the book without Marsters.

There’s some things I didn’t really catch when reading through the first time that I definitely noticed this time around. Like the fact that Harry is an idiot. Just be straight with Michael you fool.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

Just finished Small Favor and started Turn Coat on my audiobook reread. I’ve never listened to the audiobooks before but I’m already dreading getting to the book without Marsters.

It was re-recorded with Marsters.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Daric posted:

There’s some things I didn’t really catch when reading through the first time that I definitely noticed this time around. Like the fact that Harry is an idiot. Just be straight with Michael you fool.

Ghost Story was redone by Marsters, but you'll probably have to go digging for it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Daric posted:

Ain't no such thing. While Marsters had a schedule conflict and didn't originally read Ghost Story, it caused such a kerfluffle that he went back and recorded this version: https://www.audible.com/pd/Ghost-Story-Audiobook/

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Oh thank god, that solves that then

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Daric posted:

Has Harry still not learned to just be straight with people? That's one of the things I was complaining about way back in the first book.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I've been reading a bunch of UF lately and while I could offer recs and such I instead need to explode in rage and horror at the Mercy Thompson series

It's the one with the were-coyote and it's one of the most popular ones in the genre and I enjoyed book 1 despite the horror of a werewolf trying to marry a sixteen year old to use her as a brood mare

so I'm reading book 2 and

- apparently unmated female werewolves belong to the alpha, which means they get raped
- but it's "okay" because the "wolf instincts" take over and make it okay
- a child werewolf is not exempt from this
- there are only 19 alpha werewolves in the entire USA who can be trusted with a girl werewolf without raping or abusing her out of like a hundred

my UF friends are trying to tell me to chill, it's okay because they're protecting this one and child werewolves are super rare

but this detail is just now there in the world-building. Both details. All details. This universe is full of rape. The author put it there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Halfway through the last Alex Verus and holy bejesus the pacing of this book is something. Also uhhhh the whole domestic violence scene what the gently caress.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I've been reading a bunch of UF lately and while I could offer recs and such I instead need to explode in rage and horror at the Mercy Thompson series

It's the one with the were-coyote and it's one of the most popular ones in the genre and I enjoyed book 1 despite the horror of a werewolf trying to marry a sixteen year old to use her as a brood mare

so I'm reading book 2 and

- apparently unmated female werewolves belong to the alpha, which means they get raped
- but it's "okay" because the "wolf instincts" take over and make it okay
- a child werewolf is not exempt from this
- there are only 19 alpha werewolves in the entire USA who can be trusted with a girl werewolf without raping or abusing her out of like a hundred

my UF friends are trying to tell me to chill, it's okay because they're protecting this one and child werewolves are super rare

but this detail is just now there in the world-building. Both details. All details. This universe is full of rape. The author put it there.

Don't worry, it gets WAY worse.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

-Fish- posted:

Don't worry, it gets WAY worse.

If this were a horror series I'd understand why it's so popular, but it's UF! Why is it so popular?? :psyduck:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

StrixNebulosa posted:

If this were a horror series I'd understand why it's so popular, but it's UF! Why is it so popular?? :psyduck:

Sex fantasies can get pretty nasty. There was a book published in the 1970s that was a collection of sex fantasies shared by Holocaust survivors, and hoo boy...

In other words, it's popular cos people can get to read/imagine things they'd never do in the real world. Also kinda why pirates and other criminals have such popular appeal.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Saros posted:

Halfway through the last Alex Verus and holy bejesus the pacing of this book is something. Also uhhhh the whole domestic violence scene what the gently caress.

That was definitely a wtf moment. It was also the scene that made me start to see a lot of the parallels with the Wheel of Time series and I felt stupid for not seeing all the references or similarities between the two series.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uh, romance novels have always had the heroine being taken and ravished by a man who she then falls in love with being a big thing. Lots of normal chicks dig this stuff.

Saros posted:

Very strange that the series that had the protagonist arrange the deaths of half a dozen dumb violent teenagers and psychologically manipulate Anne (before the Crystal duel) and Caldera (before the truck escape) by saying horribly hurtful things would feature the for real bad guys mindcontrolling him to do some slightly worse stuff as a way to get what they want. The only thing wtf about it was whether it was believable that Anne wouldn't immediately figure out it wasn't really him. But the words, if not the actions, match up with what he said to her in Veiled to get her to fight.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 7, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Uh, romance novels have always had the heroine being taken and ravished by a man who she then falls in love with being a big thing. Lots of normal chicks dig this stuff.

As a chick: I prefer consent. Kate Daniels was better about this, she got ravished by her big sexy lion man only after she agreed to it and it was awesome. Even Nalini Singh, who writes the most amazingly garbage PNRs, will typically portray consent and her novels are better for it. (She'll then give me some steaming hot sexist bullshit but I keep coming back because hot vampire angels and their stupid stupid plots are compelling)

Anyways my favorite UF series right now is the Cast in Shadow series by Michelle Sagara, as I'm up to book 4 and there's still no romance, only murders and weird magic and Kaylin, the world's least competent cop. :allears:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

StrixNebulosa posted:

As a chick: I prefer consent. Kate Daniels was better about this, she got ravished by her big sexy lion man only after she agreed to it and it was awesome. Even Nalini Singh, who writes the most amazingly garbage PNRs, will typically portray consent and her novels are better for it. (She'll then give me some steaming hot sexist bullshit but I keep coming back because hot vampire angels and their stupid stupid plots are compelling)

Anyways my favorite UF series right now is the Cast in Shadow series by Michelle Sagara, as I'm up to book 4 and there's still no romance, only murders and weird magic and Kaylin, the world's least competent cop. :allears:

I.. freaking hate Kate Daniel's sexy lion protagonist. The whole "I'm a cat, so I'm going to sneak into your house and eat your food and watch you sleep" made me dislike him.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Exmond posted:

I.. freaking hate Kate Daniel's sexy lion protagonist. The whole "I'm a cat, so I'm going to sneak into your house and eat your food and watch you sleep" made me dislike him.

Did he poop in her house plants?

Mass Effect joke

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've picked that one up after your recommendation in the last thread (after a fair bit of skepticism obtained by looking at covers) and it's... actually really fun. My one dig is that you keep getting hit by made-up words with very little context that would let you infer the meaning (saying that as a fan of Malazan) but it's a nice, comfy read. Well, as comfy as reading about child murders gets.

Lack of romance helps, as does the fact the uniquely gifted chosen heroine with mysterious superpowers is actually not the sharpest knife in the drawer which goes a long way in making her likable.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 7, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Exmond posted:

Completely understandable. Kate being freaked out about that helped me get over that, and he proved himself to be a cool dude, and not entirely a creeper.

anilEhilated posted:

I've picked that one up after your recommendation in the last thread (after a fair bit of skepticism obtained by looking at covers) and it's... actually really fun. My one dig is that you keep getting hit by made-up words with very little context that would let you infer the meaning (saying that as a fan of Malazan) but it's a nice, comfy read. Well, as comfy as reading about child murders gets.

Lack of romance helps, as does the fact the uniquely gifted chosen heroine with mysterious superpowers is actually not the sharpest knife in the drawer which goes a long way in making her likable.

Oh gosh, awesome! I've recently fallen in love with Michelle Sagara/West's writing and I'm so glad I can share that with someone. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh oh, the other UF I'm reading at the mo is Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow and it's delightfully 90s punk nonsense. She gets attacked on a subway by street punks! America is racist against psychic people and even used them as slaves (I think)! The devil is real, but god doesn't seem to exist? She prays to Anubis instead (good choice) and it's all schlocky and fun.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh oh, the other UF I'm reading at the mo is Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow and it's delightfully 90s punk nonsense. She gets attacked on a subway by street punks! America is racist against psychic people and even used them as slaves (I think)! The devil is real, but god doesn't seem to exist? She prays to Anubis instead (good choice) and it's all schlocky and fun.

Back to the Mercy series for a bit. The part you hate? Part of the series is the use of this particular pack to be the role model for systemic changes going forward from hidebound systems currently in place. Female wolves have status based solely on their mate's status...until the pack at the center of the story changes that. Being upset that the initial status quo is bad is one of the points. The companion series Alpha/Omega explores the same changing dynamic (though the relatively rare sex bits are cringey for other reasons).

So, the comment that it gets much worse? Grossly misleading, if not explicitly incorrect.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Back to the Mercy series for a bit. The part you hate? Part of the series is the use of this particular pack to be the role model for systemic changes going forward from hidebound systems currently in place. Female wolves have status based solely on their mate's status...until the pack at the center of the story changes that. Being upset that the initial status quo is bad is one of the points. The companion series Alpha/Omega explores the same changing dynamic (though the relatively rare sex bits are cringey for other reasons).

So, the comment that it gets much worse? Grossly misleading, if not explicitly incorrect.

Interesting, interesting.

I've sat and thought about this for a while and I'm gonna read books 1-3 of Mercy, half because I own them and half because they are compelling horror stories. The vampires in book 1 were terrifying and the opening of book 2 with the demon was worse, and I respect an author who can do that to me. With luck we'll start seeing change soon.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Completely understandable. Kate being freaked out about that helped me get over that, and he proved himself to be a cool dude, and not entirely a creeper.

Oh gosh, awesome! I've recently fallen in love with Michelle Sagara/West's writing and I'm so glad I can share that with someone. :D

She’s my favorite epic fantasy author.

I’d like her cast stuff more without wolfboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Artonos posted:

That was definitely a wtf moment. It was also the scene that made me start to see a lot of the parallels with the Wheel of Time series and I felt stupid for not seeing all the references or similarities between the two series.

Elaborate? The only direct connection I saw was when Luna called herself Zarine briefly, but a lot of mage names are references (barrayar, etc.)