Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's no guarantee that the tax returns are the key to taking him down, but it'd be a pretty cool win on principle if nothing else. He clearly is super upset about the idea, whether it's for shocking reasons or just stupid ones. Either way it would be a victory. We should've had these a long time ago.

EDIT: You'll never know whether or not I have the ability to pay the dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Also really what does it get the court to back Trump? There's no conservative cause served by not allowing the president's accountants to be subpoenaed about business dealings outside of the presidency.

The only thing I could see them caring to weigh in on is the part of the decision dismissing the memos saying that the president is immune from indictment.

If the courts are in the tank for Trump the best thing they could do here is allow the case to be dragged out.

Movement conservative judges sincerely believe in unchecked executive power.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ewiley posted:

If there were evidence of crimes in someone's tax returns, wouldn't the IRS investigate them? Like if I put in my 1040 that I'm selling meth and making a $500k profit, will the IRS turn me in or just make sure I'm correctly writing off my huge sudafed purchases as business expenses?

the irs has been incredibly understaffed for two decades and has stopped effectively auditing rich people's taxes because those rich people can hire attorneys to make the irs's life hell

trump's basic reason not to disclose his tax returns is that a legion of pro bono attorneys and accountants will uncover what the irs didn't

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

theflyingorc posted:

...it's not an empty threat?
It is if you won't go to war with Turkey, and you'd have to be a total loving moron to think there is any scenario where that happens.

Having American troops be meat shields for Syrian Kurds is an empty threat and everyone knows it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

...it's not an empty threat?

You end up stopping a genocide that would kill hundreds of thousands of people, for the low low cost of paying for a thousand soldiers. They don't even have to shoot anybody!

It absolutely isnt an empty threat. Turkey is in NATO and attacking another NATO ally will bring a shitstorm of unfathomable magnitude to their doorstep.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Lote posted:

This is just an impulsive move to distract from everything that’s going on. Either that or Erodgan realized that Trump was vulnerable and threatened Trump’s businesses in Turkey / Trump Tower and immediately got concessions.

i mean more all the other idiotic things he's done this last week like yell out crimes to the press on the WH lawn, tweeting like he's trying to induce a seizure, etc

it wouldn't surprise me if Erodgan didn't even threaten him. Trump thinks he's some kind of master class deal maker and probably rolled over with zero prompting.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

It absolutely isnt an empty threat. Turkey is in NATO and attacking another NATO ally will bring a shitstorm of unfathomable magnitude to their doorstep.

Yeah, you guys are talking like WW3 scenario here, and that's a scenario that doesn't go well for Turkey.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is if you won't go to war with Turkey, and you'd have to be a total loving moron to think there is any scenario where that happens.

Having American troops be meat shields for Syrian Kurds is an empty threat and everyone knows it.

Weird how it's worked out right up until the point that trump tweeted a withdrawal!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hes blocking the IRS poo poo because hes not as rich as hes making out to be and everyone seeing his tax returns would be a colossal ego hit to him.

Even if there is shady poo poo in there, he cares about his ego much more than getting caught doing crimes

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

evilweasel posted:

the irs has been incredibly understaffed for two decades and has stopped effectively auditing rich people's taxes because those rich people can hire attorneys to make the irs's life hell

trump's basic reason not to disclose his tax returns is that a legion of pro bono attorneys and accountants will uncover what the irs didn't

They also came out literally last week saying that they don't have the resources to target rich tax evaders and that they focus more on poor people who can't fight back with lengthy and costly court battles.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Bob Kroll is the very type of person who works forces and burns crosses. The police in this town (just like every other town) are shitheads and keep electing him as their union president year after year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The IRS aren't the cops, the only crime they care about is tax fraud. As long as you give them the correct portion of your income they don't particularly care what you did to earn it. They famously have a stated policy on bribery that's basically "bribes are fine so long as you do the paperwork right"

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 7, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Are the writers running out of names? I really don't want to learn so many new characters at this point.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

skylined! posted:

Weird how it's worked out right up until the point that trump tweeted a withdrawal!
I've got a tiger repelling rock to sell you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You think that we're not willing to strike back at Turkey if they killed American soldiers, but that Turkey is willing to kill American soldiers

OK guy

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Letting Trump keep his returns a secret would help future corrupt politicians keep theirs a secret, too. People itt posting poo poo like, "Oh that was kablammy news cycles ago, who cares anymore" gently caress off.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

VitalSigns posted:

D&D wants to start another war in an oil rich country, must be Tuesday.

Leaving troops in place to prevent an impending genocide is definitely starting a war, yup.

gently caress the Kurds. If they can't protect against their own genocide after the US instructed them to roll back their defensive measures, that's their fault.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

1glitch0 posted:

Are the writers running out of names? I really don't want to learn so many new characters at this point.

Half of those are B-Tier RPG character names.

quote:

Ulrich Brechbuhl

Definitely a Warrior trainer

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I've got a tiger repelling rock to sell you.

This isn't the argument-shredding metaphor you are hoping it is and your rhetoric doesn't stand the rigorous standard of 'being compared to reality'.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Making empty threats is a bad idea.

it's not a threat. the point of having american soldiers there is precisely that it's not a threat. it's simply reality: if you want to shoot the kurds, you will kill american soldiers, and when you use your military kill american soldiers you have crossed a line that can't be uncrossed even if the president would rather it be uncrossed. it is, in essence, a doomsday device. the president cannot, as a political reality, sit back and let another nation use its military to openly kill american soldiers and any attempt by a president to do so would lead to complete political collapse: you're already in a war, started by someone else rather than choosing if you want to be in a war.

it's the same reason there are american soldiers on the DMZ in Korea. if North Korea invaded South Korea and there were no americans there, eh, maybe the president doesn't feel like Korean War II. if americans die in the attack, the president effectively has no choice: we're already in Korean War II and the options are surrender or fight.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

You think that we're not willing to strike back at Turkey if they killed American soldiers, but that Turkey is willing to kill American soldiers

OK guy
I think Turkey is way more invested than the US and just very successfully called America's bluff.

Because anyone who would be willing to fight a war in Turkey over Syria is a bloodthirsty idiot.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

OK guy

Keep in mind we killed 250 Russian soldiers mercenaries for getting too close to an American marine position in Syria like two years ago.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This is several pages late, but the term I think people are looking for with respect to Mitt Romney speaking out against Trump is floating a Trial Balloon.

Mitt going against Trump is the Trial Balloon you float out there to see which way the (popular) wind is blowing.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Keep in mind we killed 250 Russian soldiers mercenaries for getting too close to an American marine position in Syria like two years ago.

There's a reason Russia went with the plausible deniability of using mercenaries.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think Turkey is way more invested than the US and just very successfully called America's bluff.

Because anyone who would be willing to fight a war in Turkey over Syria is a bloodthirsty idiot.

That doesn't make any goddamn sense on any level, stop saying dumb things

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

Did I somehow call for mass bombings or boots on the ground? You're not even listening.

One bomb on Assad. Send his rear end to hell. That's it.

Before it would have been a lot better for Syria because it would have ended the civil war.

After? Revenge mostly. So he doesn't get to rule the rubble.

Old post, but hey calls for Political Assassinations itt.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's entirely possible that Erdogan has been recording phone calls with Trump for the past three years, and has threatened to release them if Trump doesn't do what he says. All of the authoritarian dictators around the world almost certainly have kompromat on Trump and now know that using it will be extremely effective in getting what they want.

Eh, I'm still not convinced on the whole kompromat business when the obvious explanation is that Donnie is a big wild, impulsive baby who just does poo poo because his brain is dying.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

Sleve McDichaels testimony is going to be the John Dean of this impeachment

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

they didn't call america's bluff, the president just completely submitted on the issue for mysterious yet terrible reasons

Rent-A-Cop posted:

you've got it the wrong way around. it's not about who is willing to fight turkey, it's about if turkey is willing to shoot at american soldiers

they are not

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just wish there was a machine that would create a hole under whatever powerful person you selected directly into hell. Just for a day. No state doing anything just one day a hole opens up and the monsters are dragged into hell. And a silhouette appears under the next in line to each of the monsters as a constant reminder.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

evilweasel posted:

it's the same reason there are american soldiers on the DMZ in Korea. if North Korea invaded South Korea and there were no americans there, eh, maybe the president doesn't feel like Korean War II. if americans die in the attack, the president effectively has no choice: we're already in Korean War II and the options are surrender or fight.

Though it's less necessary for South Korea, who would probably mop the floor with North Korea.

edit: at least, a North Korean invasion that is.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Its cool how you have ignored NATO in its entirety with your weird hot take. No one called anyones bluff. Calling a bluff in this instance would require you to attack United States troops and the USA doing nothing so your premise doesnt even make sense.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

friendbot2000 posted:

Its cool how you have ignored NATO in its entirety with your weird hot take. No one called anyones bluff? Calling a bluff in this instance would require you to attack United States troops and the USA doing nothing so your premise doesnt even make sense.

The United States is actually very notorious for not responding when threatened, we are a very benign superpower who is very scared of using our military

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

Eh, I'm still not convinced on the whole kompromat business when the obvious explanation is that Donnie is a big wild, impulsive baby who just does poo poo because his brain is dying.
I don't think even they knew they had kompromat until this whole Ukraine thing. Trump can't help but say poo poo, especially when he's bragging and showing off for authoritarian dictators.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

luxury handset posted:

you've got it the wrong way around. it's not about who is willing to fight turkey, it's about if turkey is willing to shoot at american soldiers

they are not
It works both ways. A tripwire force only works when the people you're trying to deter think you will actually loving murder them.

Everyone on Earth knew the Dumbass in Chief wasn't going to start a war over Kurds. Turkey pushed, he caved immediately.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

it's not a threat. the point of having american soldiers there is precisely that it's not a threat. it's simply reality: if you want to shoot the kurds, you will kill american soldiers, and when you use your military kill american soldiers you have crossed a line that can't be uncrossed even if the president would rather it be uncrossed. it is, in essence, a doomsday device. the president cannot, as a political reality, sit back and let another nation use its military to openly kill american soldiers and any attempt by a president to do so would lead to complete political collapse: you're already in a war, started by someone else rather than choosing if you want to be in a war.

please mind the gigantic asterisk reading "unless we don't feel like making it an issue"

hey, remember those dozen or so soldiers who died in Niger for some reason? the ones where the official line from The Adults In The Room, Kelly and Mattis, was "nah don't worry about it"

this is one of those things we like to pretend is a hard and fast rule but when push comes to shove, we're only slightly less willing to throw our own men under the bus than we are our beloved auxiliaries.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It works both ways. A tripwire force only works when the people you're trying to deter think you will actually loving murder them.

Everyone on Earth knew the Dumbass in Chief wasn't going to start a war over Kurds. Turkey pushed, he caved immediately.

you continue to not understand. trump didn't need to start a war. he just had to do nothing, and turkey would be faced with starting a war against the united states or not starting a war against the united states. the entire point is to take the choice out of the president's hands if the attack creates war between turkey and the united states. it is, in essence, a (very public) doomsday device: turkey shoots a bunch of american soldiers, then regardless of what donald trump wants there's a war between turkey and the united states.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
america will absolutely come down on you like the first of an angry god if you touch a hair on the head of Are Troops.

in unrelated news, it is unfortunate what happened to the USS Liberty, but, well, sometimes you have to forgive and forget, in the name of diplomatic realities

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

well yes things don't count for israel ^^

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

hey, remember those dozen or so soldiers who died in Niger for some reason? the ones where the official line from The Adults In The Room, Kelly and Mattis, was "nah don't worry about it"

one of the reasons that was brushed under the rug was because it was such a massive cock up for the US military. And of course Trump went ahead and told the mother of one of the dead soldiers (who'd been left for dead and dismembered) that "he knew what he was getting in to."

And that wasn't a sovereign nation or anything attacking their position. Those US troops were there fighting an IS cell with the Nigerian government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is turning into the worst week for Trump ever.