Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ok, I’m going to see if I can stretch the budget because this seems like a really good idea. I like the idea that the 7MKII looks like it can be run over with a bulldozer and has USB3

E: I will echo the sentiment that Canons naming convention really sucks and seems like it artificially makes it hard to determine which is best. I think I understand it now, the Rebels a bigger number is better, the xxD the bigger number the better, and the xD the lower number the better, with the newer revisions (Mk whatever) being better.

It makes way more sense to me than trying to figure out what the gently caress Nikon camera belongs to what line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Canon's naming scheme makes more sense when you realize that they basically consider the rebel cameras to be disposable shovelware pushed out to keep their numbers up, and they only start actually giving a poo poo about the names being logical when you get to the xxD level.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I must be an ultra genius because I don’t find the canikon naming conventions that confusing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

powderific posted:

I must be an ultra genius because I don’t find the canikon naming conventions that confusing.

Because you're a camera nerd like the rest of us. None of it really confuses us, but it's an illogical naming convention. Start writing it out for Canon.

The 1d/5d/50d/T2i/T2/400d/4000d breakdown is an arbitrary, but internally consistent convention, and not too confusing (but what the gently caress, T2i versus T2 is still stupid as is the T convention in the US but x00/x000 everywhere else and what the gently caress with the Kiss names).

When the 6d/7d were put in the mix, it's now arbitrary and internally inconsistent. The single digits is neither indicative of full frame, nor high end. APS has one, two, three and four digit series, plus X, T and Kiss alternate names.

1 series, pro full.
5 series, enthusiast full
6 series, consumer full
7 series, pro aps-c
XX enthusiast aps-c
XXX consumer aps-c
XXXX entry level aps-c

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

torgeaux posted:

1 series, pro full.
5 series, enthusiast full
6 series, consumer full
7 series, pro aps-c
XX enthusiast aps-c
XXX consumer aps-c
XXXX entry level aps-c

I'm not toooo sure the 5 series can be classed as "enthusist", esp given the feature list it came with over the 4 versions. 6D (both versions) to me is more the enthusist level.

The original 7D was marketed as a "enthusist" camera but yeah we worked out pretty quick it certainly it was more than that. The 7D mk II... that certainly is a real APS-C pro body.

FFS Canon hurry up and give us 7D mk II owners some glimpse of a real replacement.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not toooo sure the 5 series can be classed as "enthusist", esp given the feature list it came with over the 4 versions. 6D (both versions) to me is more the enthusist level.

The original 7D was marketed as a "enthusist" camera but yeah we worked out pretty quick it certainly it was more than that. The 7D mk II... that certainly is a real APS-C pro body.

FFS Canon hurry up and give us 7D mk II owners some glimpse of a real replacement.

The 5 series, especially initially, was a limited use pro camera. Wedding photographers and portrait shooters went for it big time. But, I "prosumer" or pro-lite seemed less accurate. I'm not sure Canon initially thought it would get a pro following like it did. I'd have to look back at their initial marketing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What? The replacement's been around for years.

:D

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I want to get into film photography. Don't really know what I want to be doing, but I do know I dont want the cadillac of cameras, probably closer to the 10 year old hyundai of cameras. Cheap, surprisingly durable and somehow still going after years of neglect.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Do you already own a full frame digital system? If so pick something from that maker's "modern" film camera lineup since you'll already have glass for it. APS-C lenses will also mount on their respective brand's film cameras but you'll get severe vignetting.

What is your budget and what style of camera do you like? SLR, Rangefinder, compact, large format, pinhole, an entire box van as a camera, etc...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Minolta X-700 or a Canon Elan 7 (if you have existing Canon glass)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Sauer posted:

Do you already own a full frame digital system? If so pick something from that maker's "modern" film camera lineup since you'll already have glass for it. APS-C lenses will also mount on their respective brand's film cameras but you'll get severe vignetting.

What is your budget and what style of camera do you like? SLR, Rangefinder, compact, large format, pinhole, an entire box van as a camera, etc...

I have no existing camera equipment, and my budget is non-existent. I'm going to be buying a used camera and lenses, I just don't know where to start and goons are a great resource. I'd say SLR would probably suit my needs best, but I defer to your guys opinion, as I have no fuckin clue what I'm talking about yet.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What? The replacement's been around for years.

:D

:vince:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want to get into film photography.

Why? What do you hope to gain from it that you're not getting from digital? For me, the answer to your questions varies widely based on that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah IMO if you want it just to play with the developing process then the answer is wildly different than if you want to actually use an old manual camera to sharpen your skills or be forced to choose composition or something.

In either case, I am really happy with my Nikon F4. I get most of the benefits of a modern system while still getting to develop film, which is what I really wanted. I have Pentax ME Supers and old MF Nikons etc but they've all been on the shelf since I got my F4.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

My default response is always the Pentax K-1000. It also happens to be the correct response.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want to get into film photography. Don't really know what I want to be doing, but I do know I dont want the cadillac of cameras, probably closer to the 10 year old hyundai of cameras. Cheap, surprisingly durable and somehow still going after years of neglect.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

holocaust bloopers posted:

Minolta X-700 or a Canon Elan 7 (if you have existing Canon glass)

Minolta X-700 was my first “real” camera and it’s great. Taught me about the exposure triangle, how to actually consider a composition, etc.

That being said, I agree with the others that what you should get definitely depends on what you want to do and what you are trying to get out of the hobby. I tried out a couple different SLRs before eventually figuring out that a rangefinder was much more appropriate for what I wanted to do and how I liked to shoot.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You can get a Canon Rebel or Nikon F60/F80 for next to nothing with the kit lens even with the gentrified prices for film gear these days. They're pretty much identical to current entry level DSLRs in feel and controls only the sensor is film and no big LCD on the back. I love the bits out of my F100 and its handy to be able to use modern glass with all the wizbang buzzwords* printed on the side of the lens (VR is actually great). Most of them aren't wore the hell out since everyone bought one, used it for one vacation and put it in a shoebox and young hipster millennials (get off my lawn) aren't buying them up to wear as jewelry like a pre-1980s chrome SLR.

* Fancy lens features working on entry level "modern" SLRs not guaranteed.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 7, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If I were shooting film again, I would probably just go back to a full manual 35mm SLR. The thing I liked about shooting film was that it slowed down the photo taking process for me. You only have so many photos in a roll so each shot mattered a little more. I really enjoyed that process. It felt more like a bolt action sniper rifle versus a modern full auto machine gun.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

My Spirit Otter posted:

I have no existing camera equipment, and my budget is non-existent. I'm going to be buying a used camera and lenses, I just don't know where to start and goons are a great resource. I'd say SLR would probably suit my needs best, but I defer to your guys opinion, as I have no fuckin clue what I'm talking about yet.

How non-existent is "non-existent"? We live in times where you can get a Nikon F3HP or F5 (or most comparable pro-grade cameras) for $250 if you're patient (no lens, or maybe a kit 50), and those are basically the Mercedes 300TDs of cameras.

The "no money at all" Dorkroom favorite is the Pentax ME Super, but you should drop into the film photography thread and chat with us! We're mostly friendly unless someone mentions Fomapan.

I should ask, though, what are you looking for in photography? What do you want out of it, personally? I think this is really the first and most important question you should answer before putting any money down, especially if it's tight to begin with.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Why? What do you hope to gain from it that you're not getting from digital? For me, the answer to your questions varies widely based on that.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah IMO if you want it just to play with the developing process then the answer is wildly different than if you want to actually use an old manual camera to sharpen your skills or be forced to choose composition or something.

In either case, I am really happy with my Nikon F4. I get most of the benefits of a modern system while still getting to develop film, which is what I really wanted. I have Pentax ME Supers and old MF Nikons etc but they've all been on the shelf since I got my F4.

It's mostly to play with the development process, but it's also to not have unlimited kicks at the can. One or two shots, find out what I like/dislike about the pictures, learn from my mistakes and attempt better.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Minolta X-700 was my first “real” camera and it’s great. Taught me about the exposure triangle, how to actually consider a composition, etc.

That being said, I agree with the others that what you should get definitely depends on what you want to do and what you are trying to get out of the hobby. I tried out a couple different SLRs before eventually figuring out that a rangefinder was much more appropriate for what I wanted to do and how I liked to shoot.

XBenedict posted:

My default response is always the Pentax K-1000. It also happens to be the correct response.

Thank you guys for these. I will keep an eye out for these models on the used market around me. What would you guys ball park a price at?

Sauer posted:

You can get a Canon Rebel or Nikon F60/F80 for next to nothing with the kit lens even with the gentrified prices for film gear these days. They're pretty much identical to current entry level DSLRs in feel and controls only the sensor is film and no big LCD on the back. I love the bits out of my F100 and its handy to be able to use modern glass with all the wizbang buzzwords* printed on the side of the lens (VR is actually great). Most of them aren't wore the hell out since everyone bought one, used it for one vacation and put it in a shoebox and young hipster millennials (get off my lawn) aren't buying them up to wear as jewelry like a pre-1980s chrome SLR.

* Fancy lens features working on entry level "modern" SLRs not guaranteed.

I don't plan on getting too fancy. I think for what I'm looking to do, a cheap camera and very basic lenses will be suitable until I decide whether or not I want to keep going and properly invest in the hobby.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

My Spirit Otter posted:

It's mostly to play with the development process, but it's also to not have unlimited kicks at the can. One or two shots, find out what I like/dislike about the pictures, learn from my mistakes and attempt better.

Are you planning to develop your film yourself? It isn’t that hard, but does increase the up-front investment a bit. It costs around $100-150 USD to get the equipment + chemicals needed to start developing film. After that the chemicals themselves are fairly cheap, running maybe $10-20 you’ll need to spend every six months or so, or even less often depending on what you get. The price of film itself varies depending on what you’re buying, but it’s usually between $4-10 for a roll of 36 shots. You’ll also need a scanner capable of scanning film if you want to transfer it to a computer. If you’re too lazy to develop / scan film yourself, prices can vary depending on what’s available in your area. Prices tend to range from $5-10 to develop a roll, double that if you want scanning too. Color developing tends to be cheaper and more widespread than B&W developing when paying for a place to do it, I’ve noticed, but if you’re developing yourself B&W tends to be cheaper + easier.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Thank you guys for these. I will keep an eye out for these models on the used market around me. What would you guys ball park a price at?

I got my X-700 with a lens from a local camera shop for I think about $70 USD, but you can probably find it for $40-50 online if you look well enough. Alternatively, post in the buy/sell thread and some goon probably has an old film SLR they wouldn’t mind parting with.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You can get a Nikon f65 for like $20 and you’re already most of the way there if you’re just looking to play around

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
For what it's worth, F60/F80 is the non-US model number, N60/N80 is the US designation, some listings online have both, some don't.

Also, holy poo poo the N80 is cheap.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The F80 is effectively a lightweight F100. Few differences in features between them aside from a lack of metal internal structure and the F80 using an expensive battery. You can beat someone to death with the F100 and photograph the scene afterwards while the F80 probably wouldn't work anymore.

Edit: Just remembered the F80's fragile plastic door latch that will break if you flip the door closed instead of gently closing it. Might break while you're in a gondola a few hundred feet over the Niagara river and your gaff tape is in the car.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 8, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sauer posted:

The F80 is effectively a lightweight F100. Few differences in features between them aside from a lack of metal internal structure and the F80 using an expensive battery. You can beat someone to death with the F100 and photograph the scene afterwards while the F80 probably wouldn't work anymore.

Edit: Just remembered the F80's fragile plastic door latch that will break if you flip the door closed instead of gently closing it. Might break while you're in a gondola a few hundred feet over the Niagara river and your gaff tape is in the car.

never knew the gondola over the whirlpools existed hmm..

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I believe there hadn't been a functional one in place for quite some time but there was a brand new installation when I visited a few years ago. Lovely view even with the dead deer floating hooves up swirling around in the middle.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
just wanted to say that I bought an ME Super with the 50/1.7 to use for an introductory film class solely because of the thread's title (jokingly?) leading me to the dead rear end Pentax thread.

It's a lot of fun to use. Very attractive lil' camera. Love the huuuuge viewfinder. The only thing I'm not keen on is the meter, I wish I got more linear/numerical information instead of a blinking light saying OVER or UNDER, but I'll get used to it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is there a reputable vendor that will clean dust from between glass elements? I bought a second hand lens with a return policy, and I am considering sending it back because there are two relatively large particles between the elements. It's enough to result in annoying artifacts in some situations and they are close enough to the center of the image. It's a Canon 180 mm L macro. But if cleaning it is ~$150, I would prefer to keep the lens and have it cleaned.

I am by no means a perfectionist, I don't care about dings on the body, but ffs clean the glass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there a reputable vendor that will clean dust from between glass elements? I bought a second hand lens with a return policy, and I am considering sending it back because there are two relatively large particles between the elements. It's enough to result in annoying artifacts in some situations and they are close enough to the center of the image. It's a Canon 180 mm L macro. But if cleaning it is ~$150, I would prefer to keep the lens and have it cleaned.

I am by no means a perfectionist, I don't care about dings on the body, but ffs clean the glass.

We've got a dead rear end DIY camera repair thread, cleaning the inside elements of a lens can actually be fairly trivial, if you're willing to risk loving up and bricking the thing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

My Spirit Otter posted:

2nd-ing the Pentax K-1000 recommendations.

I was posting just a few weeks ago!

Annath posted:

This is what I got from ebay:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

We've got a dead rear end DIY camera repair thread, cleaning the inside elements of a lens can actually be fairly trivial, if you're willing to risk loving up and bricking the thing.

I am not. Also, I am an idiot. The artifacts I saw were also present with another lens, so I cleaned the sensor and the artifacts are now gone. The dust between the lens can now remain as it does not impact anything.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is this where I can make a request for camera recommendations? I couldn't find a current newbie/beginner thread.

What you are looking to buy - I am not looking for a full frame camera, but definitely something that can have interchangeable lenses and is somewhat more compact. I have done some preliminary research and it seems that the mirrorless line is right up my alley. Looking around it seems that I can pick up a Sony A6300 for around $500 used.
Budget - $600-800
Your photo gear you already have - None
What you plan on using your purchase for - Horseback trail riding pictures, portraits, pictures of animals, non-moving cars.
What you find limiting about what you have now - That I have no gear.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The more compact apsc lens options from Sony aren't anything to write home about. Some good sigma primes, but they aren't terribly compact.

You can get a generation old Fuji body and an 18-55mm 2.8-4, or a prime used within your budget. The smaller primes have weather sealing too, but a body with it will be older or pricier.

An eos-m camera might be a good choice for some, and they are getting the sigma lenses in ef-m too. There is a good compact standard prime, and I heard the wide zoom is decent.

Micro four thirds has compact or weather sealed options, but a smaller sensor.

Buy used and plan your whole kit and possible future purchases together. Ergonomics matter so try them out in the store.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A used Fuji x-t20 and a 35mm f2 prime would be a good start.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Disclaimer on the a6300: it seeming uses the usual Sony menu system, which is Bad. No clue if Fuji is on the same level or its own kind of madness.

Anything anyone has mentioned should be fine. Holding the cameras and going through menus and whatnot is an important part of using one so I'll second getting a hold of them in person and trying before you buy. It'll also help your sense of scale and whether or not it's compact enough for your tastes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Etrips posted:

Is this where I can make a request for camera recommendations? I couldn't find a current newbie/beginner thread.

What you are looking to buy - I am not looking for a full frame camera, but definitely something that can have interchangeable lenses and is somewhat more compact. I have done some preliminary research and it seems that the mirrorless line is right up my alley. Looking around it seems that I can pick up a Sony A6300 for around $500 used.
Budget - $600-800
Your photo gear you already have - None
What you plan on using your purchase for - Horseback trail riding pictures, portraits, pictures of animals, non-moving cars.
What you find limiting about what you have now - That I have no gear.

Fuji or Olympus, probably. Fuji has the best APS-C lens line, and imo, the best menu system. For another option, an Olympus OM-D E-M10 or E-M5 would be a good, inexpensive option as well. MFT lenses are dead cheap. They're plastic, but they're fine.

Most importantly, buy used. Seriously, just buy it used.

holocaust bloopers posted:

A used Fuji x-t20 and a 35mm f2 prime would be a good start.
This or an X-T2. That 35/2 is a great prime.

EDIT: Also Try the Mirrorless Thread

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A gx85 is another good micro four thirds choice. And you might be able to afford to get the Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm used, which is a very nice, portable kit.

I know you said interchangeable lenses, but there are some good premium large compacts too, like Fuji's x100 series or Panasonic's lx100.

There aren't really any bad choices, except spending too much and not using it. (No bad choices but don't buy a sigma as your first camera.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All this talk about Sony menus brings me back to the bitter disappointment that was my NEX-5N's menu back in the day. Are they still that bad?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sony's menu sucks, sure, but you set it once, assign the most important functions to custom buttons (silent shooting, pixel shift, zoom for manual focus, turn off LCD to save power), put less frequently used functions in the functions menu, and you are done. I'll argue that a busy menu layout is a testament to the vast amount of things the Sony can do.

Sony deserves tons of poo poo for not getting their their act together on (1) focus stacking and (2) the star eater issue. Really, those two things are inexcusable in their pro-cameras.