Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The only way I made Tim stop rampaging my toilet paper was to crate him while I was out.

She fought both her crates and beat both of them. The wire crate has numerous popped welds and is all sorts of bent out of shape on the front. I stopped locking her in it when i leave when i came back to a pool of blood about 18 inches across from where she had cut up her mouth and gums a bunch. Im looking into one of these but theyre loving insanely expensive. Before that im gonna try one of those all plastic travel crates. Maybe she'll be calmer in one of those because the people that trained her used one

https://www.impactdogcrates.com/products/high-anxiety-crate-xl?variant=32028042188

I love the people that do this for animals but ive made the mostake of reading too many captions on these kinds of pics :( people suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
When you were trying to crate her, did you only put her in the crate when you left? Did she sleep in the crate at night or ever go in it otherwise?

The biggest mistakes I see people make with crates is 1. using it as a punishment or 2. only using it when away from home.

If you have an anxious dog, the thing you have to teach them about a crate is that it's their home. It will take some time, but consistency pays. There is work for you to do, though. Here's a decent guide: https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/training/crate-training-an-older-dog

Of note, it says to make sure that you are relaxed and do not have bad feelings about putting the dog in the crate, and that's spot on. If you're nervous, anxious, sad, or upset about putting your dog in the crate, the dog will associate those feelings with the crate. If you're happy or emotionless, the dog is excited to neutral. You have to train yourself to never think of the crate as a bad place.

A lot of teaching dogs is actually teaching yourself. Dogs are a mirror. They're empathy batteries. They understand feelings and emotions better than they do words. Getting yourself into a relaxed mindset without nervousness or worry is work. It takes practice, but you'll see near instant results. Your dog wants nothing more than to make you happy. You can do this.

e: Similarly, saying goodbye to the dog before departure may seem like a good thing to do, it actually isn't. It can create anxiety in the dog because they get raised emotions and then you're gone. Your dog just knows you said goodbye and doesn't understand that you'll be back. A way to avoid this is to make your departures routine and uneventful. A calm dog will let you come and go as you please, because you own the house. When you make a big deal out of leaving and returning, it adds significantly more stress on your pooch.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 4, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I swear Lando sometimes looks like someone mushed a Doberman and a Great Dane together when he’s asleep.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Coasterphreak posted:

My parents' very good dogge has stage four kidney disease.

He went to the hospital last night, hopefully he comes home tomorrow so we have time to say goodbye.

We got a week to say goodbye. Beau took his final nap yesterday afternoon just after 5.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

When you were trying to crate her, did you only put her in the crate when you left? Did she sleep in the crate at night or ever go in it otherwise?

I thinkni was actually using that guide when i was trying to get her used to being crated ehen i left. This is the crate she goes and lays in to watch me in the bathroom so she can be comfy being a weirdo instead of laying on the bathrom floor and was sleeping in every night at the time. This is from today when i took a shower

And i wasnt saying goodbye to her or anything just in the crate with her kong next to her with peanut butter. Its mainly her being too smart. I am trying now to put her in there and do everything like im leaving including closing the front door and letting the autolock chime but staying inside but being sneaky so she doesnt hear me not leave and then before she starts whining poke my head around the door so she thinks im still there but she still figures out the difference betwen me being around and actually leaving.

She rides with me during work for like 10 hours a day so getting her used to not being with me is gonna take longer i think. I have to just crate her more randomly even when im not leaving maybe

Edit: her hackles go up and she starts whining snd trying to chase down dogs that are across the street on a 5 lane road about half the time. It used to be everytime she saw them. Someone did a lot of work to make her high strung as she is and im working on getting all of that better. I think i just have lots of time and work before shes normalish and she probably wont get all the way to being a normal doggo

Edit 2: she remembered her vet! Hes a really big black guy and she seems to be more anxious of bigger or darker men and she just kinda slinked away from him for a second or two and then allowed pets. Its only the 2nd time shes seen him so thats huuuuge progress for her. She didnt even get jumpy when he entered the room. We're gonna up her clomicalm to 40mg twice a day for a month and see if that helps get her easier to desensitize. It seems to have made a huge difference with people already

Stravag fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 4, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Glad to hear it. Keep up the good work!!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Credit to Barcley

This might be my favorite pic in a thread full of favorite pics.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2mYq8HpFKK/

It's a halftrack!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1180215917432623104?s=21

gently caress people.

Seriously. gently caress people.

colachute fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 4, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1180167054936203264

Hurricane’s face in the second picture says “Let’s play!” but if I saw that fur missile coming at me, I’d know in an instant that the second part of that sentence would be “...with your insides!”

I’d like to think that the dogs on Trump’s detail would just roll over for a tummy rub.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lando is really happy that it’s fall.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1180167054936203264

Hurricane’s face in the second picture says “Let’s play!” but if I saw that fur missile coming at me, I’d know in an instant that the second part of that sentence would be “...with your insides!”

I’d like to think that the dogs on Trump’s detail would just roll over for a tummy rub.

It took 28 years to honour that dog what the duck they should have told him he was a good boi right away he saved the president yes he did yes he did what a good boy

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Look at all these handsome wonderful dogs. I'm home with Pepper finally and what she lacks in handsome she makes up for in Wonderful. The scraggy old baggy

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Coasterphreak posted:

We got a week to say goodbye. Beau took his final nap yesterday afternoon just after 5.

Sorry for your loss man.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Coasterphreak posted:

:smith: Sorry to hear it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

Look at all these handsome wonderful dogs. I'm home with Pepper finally and what she lacks in handsome she makes up for in Wonderful. The scraggy old baggy

Please rub belly and report back.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Shes been super clinging the last couple days after i left her alone for my dentist thing. Shes finally gone back to her beds.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well found the first people food Kedah would try to steal from me. She is Very Interested in popcorn.

Very Interested

Gimme dat dam pupcorn

She is eagerly gaurding the floor from dropped pieces. She got to it before i could toss it in the trash

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Stravag posted:

Well found the first people food Kedah would try to steal from me. She is Very Interested in popcorn.

Very Interested

Gimme dat dam pupcorn

She is eagerly gaurding the floor from dropped pieces. She got to it before i could toss it in the trash

Good girl Kedah, waste not want not!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wake up in the morning, turn on my lamp, realize that I'm sleeping sideways again, look to my right and -

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If I’m lazing around on the couch eating popcorn and drop a piece on my chest, Yoko will snatch it off me before I have a chance to even reach for it.

She’ll sit on the floor by the counter when the popcorn machine is on, tail wagging expectantly waiting for a piece to fall to the floor.

Bitches love popcorn.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I just found out last week that Gulliver also loves popcorn, especially the buttery kind.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

StrixNebulosa posted:

wake up in the morning, turn on my lamp, realize that I'm sleeping sideways again, look to my right and -

The best part of waking up
Is snuggling with your pup

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The best part of waking up
Is snuggling with your pup

being able to reach out and give him a bellyrub is basically the best, ngl

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The hardest part of waking up is watching the dogs lounge on the bed, all stretched out and relaxed. "Hey man, just take a day off and lay around with us..."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AmandaRosenberg/status/1181027134942277632?s=19

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/ObmQVte.mp4

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Weltlich posted:

The hardest part of waking up is watching the dogs lounge on the bed, all stretched out and relaxed. "Hey man, just take a day off and lay around with us..."

Not ashamed to admit, I went back to bed with Bruce when I woke up this morning.

Something about lying in a bed with a sleeping dog on a cold morning...feels right.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Weltlich posted:

I get up and go to the gym pretty early and Monty gives me the biggest “leave me the gently caress alone until you get back” attitude ever.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Weltlich posted:

I did just that today. Woke up at 5:30, went to go work out, sent my boss an email telling him I was sick, then took Lando for a long walk in our favorite park then took a nap with him on the bed.

Day well spent. If I ever get into a position of authority, I’m giving my employees “dog days” where they can bail on work, but only if they spend it doing fun stuff with their dog. They’ll just have to show me pictures of what kinds of adventures they took them on.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I did just that today. Woke up at 5:30, went to go work out, sent my boss an email telling him I was sick, then took Lando for a long walk in our favorite park then took a nap with him on the bed.

Day well spent. If I ever get into a position of authority, I’m giving my employees “dog days” where they can bail on work, but only if they spend it doing fun stuff with their dog. They’ll just have to show me pictures of what kinds of adventures they took them on.

Scruffy believes in this company

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Stravag posted:

Scruffy believes in this company

I think it sounds like a neat idea, yes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DoggoDating/status/1181642059633037312

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.gif-vif.com/How-to-make-hooman-happy/

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My man do yourself a favor and type "flyball championship" into the youtube machine.

Ivoryman
Jul 2, 2019

mrmcd posted:

My man do yourself a favor and type "flyball championship" into the youtube machine.

Wow. Those are some fast doggies! My wife is all into those videos now lol

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This week's news sucked so have some good things

https://twitter.com/NatBCo/status/1101494721740976128?s=20

https://twitter.com/lyssamarie007/status/1069774023989649409?s=20

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ivoryman posted:

Wow. Those are some fast doggies! My wife is all into those videos now lol

Now do yourself a bigger favor and search for “Great Dane agility”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Basset hounds "running" agility trials is the best thing.