Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nephzinho posted:

Buy an IKEA countertop and cut it down to size.

I think their cheapest one is like $50, and it's over 6 feet long. You could make a few boards outta that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The FWYS instructions are just too much hassle for me. I just made another starter and tried it out in a 12-hour no-knead. Pretty good. It spread a bit flat (probably too much hydration) and had a few large bibles under the crust (maybe not knocked back enough) but it was good. I’m thinking of doing the bulk ferment for my next loaf in the fridge for around 36 hours to develop flavour. Does anyone here have some tips for no-knead sourdough?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
FWSY is a bit more time consuming but I think at the very least it puts you on the right track to figure out what works best for your schedule/kitchen/oven/starter/etc. I’ve tried to follow his schedule for each recipe I try as closely as possible at least once or twice and then adapt how I see fit.

The longer you leave it in the fridge the more sour it will be. I think I’ve read the acetic acid to lactic acid ratio increases when you do this. I’ve left my bulk ferments in the fridge for up to 4 days. It probably affects the structure a bit, but the flavor really does develop quite a bit the longer you leave it. I usually let my sourdoughs ferment at room temp to double their size before putting them in the fridge.

edit: just looked back at my notes. I made enough dough to make 4 loaves and stuck it in the fridge to bulk ferment after initial room temp doubling. I pulled enough dough out to make 1 loaf every 24-36 hours and compared the flavor. The last loaf was made at 7 days in fridge. At around 42-66 hours I started to really detect the sour flavor.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 6, 2019

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

nwin posted:

Thanks!

Do you think I should not put the DO on top
Of the baking steel? It seems like that would contribute to the problem as well. I do mean that the crust is too thick.

And I didn’t score it-whoops! Good thing I’m trying a second loaf in a few hours!
After you pull the top off, only bake it for an extra 5 minutes.

The color will be much lighter and you should end up with more delicate crust, at least around the top.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kenshin posted:

After you pull the top off, only bake it for an extra 5 minutes.

The color will be much lighter and you should end up with more delicate crust, at least around the top.

You were right!

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

nwin posted:

So I know it says to use up whatever you arent keeping to keep the starter going, but in this case, where you’re feeding it a few times-what do you do with the excess starter? I read on the King Arthur site that you shouldn’t put it down the drain (I don’t have a septic system), and that it will stink if you just toss it in the trash.

I put it in a ziploc in the freezer until trash day because I find fruit flies really like it otherwise.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

nwin posted:

Thanks!

Do you think I should not put the DO on top
Of the baking steel? It seems like that would contribute to the problem as well. I do mean that the crust is too thick.

And I didn’t score it-whoops! Good thing I’m trying a second loaf in a few hours!

Putting your DO directly on the steel makes the bottom crust a lot thicker, but separating it by even an inch makes it a heat insulator and makes an overall thinner crust.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

nwin posted:

So I know it says to use up whatever you arent keeping to keep the starter going, but in this case, where you’re feeding it a few times-what do you do with the excess starter? I read on the King Arthur site that you shouldn’t put it down the drain (I don’t have a septic system), and that it will stink if you just toss it in the trash.

I put it in a ziploc in the trash and don't notice a smell but you can also give it a bake in the oven to dry it out and throw it out after it cools and it shouldn't smell as much.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

This might be a dumb question, but if you did the equivalent of a 12-hour fridge retard on the counter at room temp, roughly how long would it take?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I find the idea of using a ziploc bag which you then just throw away because something smells a bit quite distressing.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Throw it in your compost pile/container.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Trillian posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if you did the equivalent of a 12-hour fridge retard on the counter at room temp, roughly how long would it take?

Well, the two aren't really comparable. But you should be looking for volume and feel, not time. Depending on leavener percentage, probably a few hours. Give it the poke test.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Made a loaf. Used the FWSY Double-fed sweet levain recipe. As the name implies the levain is fed twice before mixing the final dough. The total levain percent in the final dough is 30%, much higher than the overnight country blonde recipe which has been my standard so far. 2g of active dry yeast are also added to final dough. 5 hours at room temp bulk ferment with 4 folds in the first 2 hours. Then 6 hours in the fridge (shortened from 12 the FWSY calls for) because I wanted to make it tonight.

This is the first time I’ve used a banneton without the cloth and it’s a million times easier, released immediately.

Very light and fluffy. Not sour at all. Crust is crunchy. Overall pretty pleased and I’ll probably make it again as an alternative to the overly powerful sourdough loaves I make.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 7, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fknlo posted:

What's a good, large surface for working on bread dough to put on my counters? My counters are tile, so working directly on them is out.

Over here "baking tables" in wood are very popular. Usually made from birch plywood.

Beefy option:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

His Divine Shadow posted:

Over here "baking tables" in wood are very popular. Usually made from birch plywood.

Beefy option:

That second one looks amazing and I want one. Can't seem to find any resellers online though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Give the picture to a local woodworker, it's not a difficult design.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Your local woodworker (me, currently) is telling you to go buy a cheap premade cutting board and screw two pieces of project pine to form the bench hook parts, Sand them down by hand for a few minutes then rub the whole thing down with mineral oil.

Will be about $5 past the cost of whatever cutting board you use as the base.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

therattle posted:

I find the idea of using a ziploc bag which you then just throw away because something smells a bit quite distressing.

Oh, I throw away the contents of the bag and keep using the bag. My trash pickup includes compostables, but I guess I am a bit of a princess because I do freeze the gross ones until pickup.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trillian posted:

Oh, I throw away the contents of the bag and keep using the bag. My trash pickup includes compostables, but I guess I am a bit of a princess because I do freeze the gross ones until pickup.

:phew:

If there isn’t an emoji for that there should be.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Huxley posted:

Your local woodworker (me, currently) is telling you to go buy a cheap premade cutting board and screw two pieces of project pine to form the bench hook parts, Sand them down by hand for a few minutes then rub the whole thing down with mineral oil.

Are there cutting boards that large you can buy? I mean they gotta be pretty large to be usable, mine is bigger than any cutting board I've seen and is too small.

I also don't oil it. Scraping the thing off usually suffices. Maybe scrub with water and soap and dry once in a while. Usually people just sweep it off with a small broom.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My SO bought me a kitchenaid for my birthday :') can I use it to knead the FWSY recipes so I can skip the folding and ~5 hour bulk proofing times? What impact will this have on the final bread? Also, finally managed to find cornmeal and rice flour in a thai shop of all places. Can't wait to make pizza dough with a hearty dusting of cornmeal on the bottom, gonna be so good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No, don't skip the folding and proofing times.
I use a Bosch universal mixer to mix my doughs and still do the folds. Try it both ways if you really want to. There is a remarkable change in dough consistency and structure that I've seen from fold to fold.
If you try and skip the proofing times you'll end up with heavy dense flavorless bread that will make you sad.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well the happy news is, my bannetons work (finally). I did one loaf with the linen cloth, and the other without. Both came out of the bannetons very easily thanks to the rice flour. The doughs were very gloopy, but managed to hold their shape well enough. I have a feeling I didn't knead them enough, despite mixing until the dough came off the sides of the bowl.

Question to the guy who recommended dropping loaves into the dutch oven with a piece of parchment paper - how do you place them in the dutch oven without the parchment paper wrinkling into the dough? My finished loaves have lots of creases from it and I couldn't slide the loaves into the dutch oven as they stuck just enough to the parchment to make it awkward. Edit: my wholemeal loaf turned out fine, I was a bit rough with it and sorta shook it hard off the parchment into the dutch oven. I figured I'd hosed it up cause it smacked down hard so I thought it'd deflate a lot, but it has risen beautifully in the oven and looks pretty good.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 9, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Qubee posted:

Also, finally managed to find cornmeal and rice flour in a thai shop of all places. Can't wait to make pizza dough with a hearty dusting of cornmeal on the bottom, gonna be so good.
Cornmeal helps, but it's not a panacea. It doesn't hydrate or cook into the pizza in my experience, it just helps the pizza come off the peel. The thing that made my pizza click was getting some perforated steel pizza trays to build the pizzas on, and sliding the whole thing onto the stone. It turned the exercise from a stressful crapshoot into a repeatable cooking method.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Question to the guy who recommended dropping loaves into the dutch oven with a piece of parchment paper - how do you place them in the dutch oven without the parchment paper wrinkling into the dough? My finished loaves have lots of creases from it and I couldn't slide the loaves into the dutch oven as they stuck just enough to the parchment to make it awkward. Edit: my wholemeal loaf turned out fine, I was a bit rough with it and sorta shook it hard off the parchment into the dutch oven. I figured I'd hosed it up cause it smacked down hard so I thought it'd deflate a lot, but it has risen beautifully in the oven and looks pretty good.

You also put the parchment paper into the dutch oven!

Like, you dump your loaf out of the banneton onto the paper, then you pick the whole thing up by the edges of the paper and lower it into the oven and pop the top on. Then you can lift it back out with the paper and it won't be stuck. In fact, I've found I can push the heat/cook time a little bit because I tend to get less bottom burning using paper.

You might get some incidental shaping around the edges of your loaf from the paper, ripples instead of being true round, but it doesn't affect cooking or taste in any way. Safer getting the loaves out, too.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Give the picture to a local woodworker, it's not a difficult design.

Ah yes, good point. I should find one here - just moved to a new town so I have no idea if someone like that is around but I'll ask.

Huxley posted:

My woodworking skills are firmly at the level of a 4-year old, but I may give this a shot with an old IKEA cutting board...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the board tips, I'll have to get something figured out. For now I just have a largish silicone mat to play with. Gonna do the overnight bread recipe as my first bread baking attempt!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are there cutting boards that large you can buy? I mean they gotta be pretty large to be usable, mine is bigger than any cutting board I've seen and is too small.

Any decent plastics/acrylic shop should have at least one thickness of HDPE cutting board in stock, and will be able to cut it to what-ever dimensions or shape you want for pretty cheap. Comes in different colors, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MrYenko posted:

Any decent plastics/acrylic shop should have at least one thickness of HDPE cutting board in stock, and will be able to cut it to what-ever dimensions or shape you want for pretty cheap. Comes in different colors, too.

I was talking about wooden cutting boards like in the picture since blixa wanted something that looked like that. If we're swapping out materials then the scenario changes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is it supposed to be that bubbly?

Shaping the first loaf was a bit of a mess as it was sticking to my hands even though I'd flowered them. I had to do it a few times. The second one went way better.

Proofing now, should go in the oven in about an hour!

e:

Baked bread!

Loaf 1:

Inside of loaf 1:

Loaf 2:

Tastes good, not bad for my first effort?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 11, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

fknlo posted:

Is it supposed to be that bubbly?

Tastes good, not bad for my first effort?

Reasonably sure your bubbles went cray cray b/c you had quick yeast vs active dry.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

Reasonably sure your bubbles went cray cray b/c you had quick yeast vs active dry.

I did use instant yeast and it's what the recipe calls for. Too much maybe? It does specify a scant 1/4 tsp and I used a whole 1/4 tsp.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I made a sourdough today and actually remembered to get a crumb shot for once. I tried a new pattern for slashing that didn't come out as pretty as I wanted, but this is probably the best tasting sourdough loaf I've done. Mostly because I started it last night and was actually patient with it instead of starting it first thing in the morning and getting impatient for it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made foccacia bread with a 80% hydration recipe. I am usually not able to get good results with these using my conventional stand mixer and dough hook, so I tried the assistent instead and I am really happy with the results, I could really see how the gluten developed and the dough changed consistency. The scraper and roller system seems good for this kind of dough.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I could've sworn The Bread Bible had a chocolate babka recipe in it, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have one that they can vouch for?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I could've sworn The Bread Bible had a chocolate babka recipe in it, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have one that they can vouch for?

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chocolate-cinnamon-babkallah-dough

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-babka-recipe

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hi breadgoons I have a dumb question: how do I store this delicious bread? I've been making a lot of sandwich loaves and we go through them quickly. We've been using plastic bags, but it feels very wasteful. I feel like I read a thing somewhere about how breadboxes don't actually do anything at all? Is that true?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bloody posted:

hi breadgoons I have a dumb question: how do I store this delicious bread? I've been making a lot of sandwich loaves and we go through them quickly. We've been using plastic bags, but it feels very wasteful. I feel like I read a thing somewhere about how breadboxes don't actually do anything at all? Is that true?

The short of it is, freeze it. Especially if you're toasting it--a freshly thawed and then reheated or toasted slice of bread will taste just as fresh as if it were out of the oven. I do this for bagels and it's like night and day.

Serious Eats compared different storage methods and freezing is the clear winner.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jan posted:

The short of it is, freeze it. Especially if you're toasting it--a freshly thawed and then reheated or toasted slice of bread will taste just as fresh as if it were out of the oven. I do this for bagels and it's like night and day.

Serious Eats compared different storage methods and freezing is the clear winner.

Every sourdough/other round loaf I make I cut in half immediately and then make sawtooth cuts. Half goes into foil and straight into the freezer, half goes on the table. Works like a charm. Baguettes, I haven't had leftover to test with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I eat some then slice, freeze and toast.