Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Come visit LA and train nogi with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Any goons in Austin? :)

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

spb posted:

Any goons in Austin? :)

I am!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HamsterPolice posted:

Is it true that Taza was the guy with pink eye that infected everyone? That's the rumor I've heard.
No real way to trace who was the original source but there were some guys from Montreal infected. Basically just conjecture.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hell yes. I'm going to be north of the river and I'm looking at Aces or Mario Esfiha's place.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

L0cke17 posted:

I did the thing to a white belt I hated having done to me as a new white belt more than anything. I was rolling with a newish person and just basically flow rolled and let them practice whatever and then did my escapes over and over then I looked over at the clock and saw 15 seconds left.

So I swept them and submitted them so that the bell went off like 1 second after they tapped. I think that makes me a bad person now.

Not that I can do it on command, but when it does happen that I smash a white belt I tell myself it's good for them to see how effective bjj is

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

spb posted:

Hell yes. I'm going to be north of the river and I'm looking at Aces or Mario Esfiha's place.

I'm down just south of the river at IJJ.

I've heard mixed things about Aces but I've only heard good things about Mario Esfiha. Try them both and let me know what you think!

Also IJJ does free open mats Friday at 630pm and saturday at 1245pm so stop by sometime!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 10, 2022

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, I'm interested in Sambo, Judo, and Hapkido after my coach who I've been training under for the past 2 months has shown me all 3.

Its hard to remember all the footwork and locks and stuff, feeling kind of overwhelmed. Is it normal to feel like you're not making a lot of progress? Does this mean I should train more?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Well that’s three different arts that take 5-10 years to get good at, maybe focus on one for awhile? What’s your training situation?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
One of my coaches described the first few years of learning as trying to drink from a fire hose.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Phi230 posted:

So uh, I'm interested in Sambo, Judo, and Hapkido after my coach who I've been training under for the past 2 months has shown me all 3.

Its hard to remember all the footwork and locks and stuff, feeling kind of overwhelmed. Is it normal to feel like you're not making a lot of progress? Does this mean I should train more?

Pick one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm super tempted to make the trip. I have time off around that time, and Imanari seems worth it.

Let me know! I probably won't have much time to hang out afterwards though or follow Yuns's example of going and grabbing food with folks who come to town, as I'll be driving in right before the Friday session and then spending the remainder of the weekend with the GF.

I can also let you know when I figure out how to pay/register since the promotional material they've put out so far doesn't really say. It's likely "Contact JG directly," which is what it was last time.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Recommendations for gyms near North Arlington, VA? Brand new to the sport and would prefer a gym that is as close as possible to my apartment. Fifty50 seems to be the best, but there is Pentagon MMA that is a little bit closer and has a more flexible beginners schedule. Leo Dalla has a small branch with three weekly all levels sessions super close by but I’m not sure if that’s appropriate for a total newbie.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I go to Pedro Sauers gym in Herndon but that’s a long drive from Arlington especially for evening classes given traffic in the area. I would say fifty50 if it’s close, it is a good school but I don’t know much about the other gyms

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So i cant do lat pulldowns on my right side anymore...interesting..... so the injuries begin

E: trying to get through my standard upper body split and jesus christ all my joints feel really weird, my elbows hurt and my shoulder is throbbing what the gently caress

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 6, 2019

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waro I’m going to kick your rear end some day

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
lol that av

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Hey buddy, I’m just trying to roll with the punches like the dickhead that I am

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 10, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Waro I’m going to kick your rear end some day

I'm going to UFC244 in nyc you should come drop in at the blue basement with me!

I also have to be in philly and Atlantic city for biz either that week or the following so I will pm or ps4 you

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I might come up for 244, hit me up on PSN and I’ll toss you my number

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

I might come up for 244, hit me up on PSN and I’ll toss you my number

tbh i haven't been on in a hot min whats your psn ill msg you

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I wish I could find a bjj centric hat that wasn't tacky or had 'CHOKE' or 'Strangle Things' written on it but I don't think such a thing could possibly exist

I'm not even sure what it would look like

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

old.flv posted:

I wish I could find a bjj centric hat that wasn't tacky or had 'CHOKE' or 'Strangle Things' written on it but I don't think such a thing could possibly exist

TAP SNAP OR NAP!!!11!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

old.flv posted:

I started searching for this and in the process I found out that Fighters Market thinks compression shorts count as streetwear.

https://fightersmarket.com/collections/streetwear-accessories

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
There was Yuns' guy at Renzo's that had a nice apparel clothing line.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

"optimal human."

I still occasionally look to see if the prices to Canada are reasonable and fixed but no.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Apparently they had quite a few shipping problems in the beginning and I ended up with a lot of free merch. I offered to send it back (the stuff I didnt order) but they told me to keep it. Good communication and for that reason alone I would reccomend them.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Lachlan Giles is doing a 2 hr seminar near me tomorrow for 45 bucks and I can’t attend because of family obligations :bang:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Lachlan Giles is doing a 2 hr seminar near me tomorrow for 45 bucks and I can’t attend because of family obligations :bang:

I'd recommend you unobligate. I went to the one he did last Friday and it was pretty great. Guy is an awesome teacher and it was particularly interesting having him refer to his ADCC matches throughout the seminar then to go back and watch him apply the techniques he'd shown. Definitely opened my eyes to a whole new world in 50/50.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Pretty sure we're pretty close to each other then. I'd call out of work but I'm sort of the boss.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

butros posted:

I'd recommend you unobligate. I went to the one he did last Friday and it was pretty great. Guy is an awesome teacher and it was particularly interesting having him refer to his ADCC matches throughout the seminar then to go back and watch him apply the techniques he'd shown. Definitely opened my eyes to a whole new world in 50/50.

Well the good news is I am a white belt so if it’s a seminar on 50/50 or something most of it will go way over my head.

Yep turtle the one in Maryland. I wish I could cancel my family obligations but I will pay a price later in life for it

butros
Aug 2, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Well the good news is I am a white belt so if it’s a seminar on 50/50 or something most of it will go way over my head.

Yep turtle the one in Maryland. I wish I could cancel my family obligations but I will pay a price later in life for it

Speaking of paying for it later in life I'm p sure Locklyn is filming or has filmed an instructional on the 50/50 stuff. His instructional are really good (his half guard anthology is amazing) so if you wanted to get it from BJJ Fanatics when you want to take it on I'm p sure that'll be an option.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

awkward_turtle posted:

Pretty sure we're pretty close to each other then. I'd call out of work but I'm sort of the boss.

Does the DC area have the most grappling goons?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm glad people aren't sleeping on him anymore.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm coming around to enjoying no gi more than gi. Not only do I find it a little easier on the joints, I like how it subverts the belt system which I'm starting to see as a huge racket.

I wish more gyms around me did nogi, right now at many of the gyms it's a 2 day a week thing. I wish I could find one where it was daily.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

spb posted:

Not only do I find it a little easier on the joints, I like how it subverts the belt system which I'm starting to see as a huge racket.

Racket? Does your gym have belt testing/promotion fees?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Racket? Does your gym have belt testing/promotion fees?

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Find a new gym.

e: or just don't pay the fees and sandbag the gently caress out of everyone