Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've got an existing double din pioneer in my car that's less than 5 years old. I want something with carplay and Pioneer. What's the good one to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Coredump posted:

I've got an existing double din pioneer in my car that's less than 5 years old. I want something with carplay and Pioneer. What's the good one to get?

Pioneer MVH-2400NEX
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3O9Jt81nemX/p_1302400NEX/Pioneer-MVH-2400NEX-does-not-play-CDs.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Wait is divx making a comeback or is that name repurposed for the 3rd time?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's still there for your file based media:

AVI: 1920 x 1080/30 fps
MPEG4: 1920 x 1080/30 fps
MKV: 1920 x 1080/30 fps
MOV: 1920 x 1080/30 fps
FLV: 1920 x 1080/30 fps
WMV: 1920 x 1080/30 fps
DivX: 720 x 576/30 fps

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Ok, that's better than the Circuit City DRM version at least. But still, I thought no one cared about divx the codec for like 10yrs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s probably just still there in whatever decoder they’ve been using since then and not like a thing they’re actively doing deciding to put in every time.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Sorry to barge in on your thread with my lack of knowledge, i hope i am in the correct place!

We recently bought a 2016 Citroen C-Zero (moved from a 2014 Skoda Octavia) and i really miss the "multimedia centre" we had in the Octavia. I could connect my phone to it via bluetooth and play spotify, it had GPS and DAB+, etc. The C-Zero has bluetooth but i need to manually put it in bluetooth mode every time i start the car and manually need to start playing in spotify on my phone, something i didn't need to do in my Octavia

In the C-Zero we have a 1-DIN port to put a car audio device and i see that there are products on the market now that fit into this slot and has a nice big screen ("floating screen" seems to be the marketing term) but this is a topic i have never had to read up on before and i am getting overwhelmed by the amount of terminologies, features and brands.

Is there an 1-DIN device that provides the "automatically fire up spotify" feature when i start the car, and also has DAB+ and offline GPS? What are the correct terminologies for these features?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Ok, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 and I'm replacing the stock radio with a Metra kit and an Xtrons android double din. Unfortunately with the dash kit I have to bypass the amp. While it included the harness, the radio only has FL(+/-), FR (+/-), RL (+/-) and RR (+/-) wires coming off of the head unit.

The amp bypass has like 13 other connections.

Each Front Door has 3 speakers, 2 tweeters and a midrange
Each Rear Door has 2 Speakers, 1 tweeter and a midrange
The other connections are subs I beleive, as I am of course doing this from work and left the diagrams there(googled them yaay).

My question is basically, what the gently caress do I do to get this thing working? I can just wire up four speakers easily, but I don't really know what to do with the other door speaker wires. This is the first time I've had issues with aftermarket radios as my RX-8's harness and radio were all 1 to 1 and went in super easy.

Amp Bypass harness diagram: https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/INSTAX-AB-LX2_web.pdf
Metra install (laughably horrible): http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST99-8163_web.pdf
Picture of the receiver's wiring: https://i.imgur.com/gzD7GaZ.jpg

At this point I'm frustrated and about to just drop the money on the Scosche kit (https://www.scosche.com/2006-to-2013-lexus-is-double-din-and-din-with-pocket-installation-kit) as it retains the amplifier even if it doesn't look as good to me as the Metra kit.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks are easy to deal with, just get some vinyl and treat the dash assembly as you see fit. Vinyl comes in all sorts of patterns and textures. Cover it in a satin black or galaxy wrap, or anything in between.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
It sure would be nice if some day you could get a double-DIN deck with something better than a TN 800x480 screen.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

nullscan posted:

2007 Lexus IS250

Each Front Door has 3 speakers, 2 tweeters and a midrange
Each Rear Door has 2 Speakers, 1 tweeter and a midrange
The other connections are subs I beleive, as I am of course doing this from work and left the diagrams there(googled them yaay).

At this point I'm frustrated and about to just drop the money on the Scosche kit (https://www.scosche.com/2006-to-2013-lexus-is-double-din-and-din-with-pocket-installation-kit) as it retains the amplifier even if it doesn't look as good to me as the Metra kit.

It looks like the amp has some gating or crossovers built in. Your stereo outputs four channels and then the amp breaks out the highs for the tweeter and the mids and lows for the door woofers (simplified a bit, but that's likely what's happening in general.) If you want to keep the stock speakers I'd just get the Scosche and keep the amp, I think the assumption is you're going to replace your door speakers, and the idea of trying to make custom crossovers to accommodate factory speakers immediately in my mind leads back to you adding another amplifier, as passive crossovers consume some power, and at that point I'd also replace the speakers because gently caress factory speakers when compared to a fully amped aftermarket setup.

Edit: On page 6 it says you'll need more stuff like an amplifier and crossovers.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 22, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Okay. I was all set to install a new head unit in my '05 Escalade today. I ordered a MVH-2300NEX from Amazon. I went to test fit the unit and saw they actually sent me a MVH-AV251BT. Obviously, this is not cool. But as I look at the units spec-for-spec, they seem identical... what am I missing and is it worth it to return and rebuy, or just put this one in instead?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Okay. I was all set to install a new head unit in my '05 Escalade today. I ordered a MVH-2300NEX from Amazon. I went to test fit the unit and saw they actually sent me a MVH-AV251BT. Obviously, this is not cool. But as I look at the units spec-for-spec, they seem identical... what am I missing and is it worth it to return and rebuy, or just put this one in instead?
Replied in your thread, but:

Krakkles posted:

CarPlay and Android Auto appear to be on the 2300 only. Definitely return and get the right one.

E: and more preamp outputs. And support for sirius. And...

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mitT7VT6dAx/compare_1302300NEX_130291BT/Pioneer-MVH-2300NEX-vs-Pioneer-AVH-291BT.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

Replied in your thread, but:

That's weird, I compared the two here:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Digital+Media+Receivers/MVH-2300NEX#specs

and here:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/MVH-AV251BT#specs

and the only difference I saw in a line-by-line comparison was the 2300 had a remote... they both have Android Auto, which was my main concern... so weird to have two items so close in spec, and have Amazon ship me the other one... there's got to be a tangible difference I'm missing.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 8, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Weird, but Crutchfield certainly makes mistakes. I’d just send it back and not worry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

Weird, but Crutchfield certainly makes mistakes. I’d just send it back and not worry.

Agreed. Kinda sucks, it was a good buy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Alright. Update. Going to crosspost this in my garbage thread.

After Amazon shipping a non-2200NEX instead of what I ordered, I ended up taking a chance with a 4400NEX from eBay. Great loving choice. This thing is impressively capable. But installation is not easy.

I've got basic audio set up. HD Radio is working. Bluetooth Audio is working.

However, steering wheel controls are not working. GPS antenna is undetermined. Wireless Android Auto doesn't work with my S9+, but does work with an old N6. Curiously, I think I have a working sim in the N6, so :shrug: However, it doesn't really matter, since the battery in the N6 sucks and it needs to be plugged in anyway.

So. I'm chasing the steering wheel controls. I'm using the Maestro SW that this thread recommended, but I'm also using a Metra wiring harness adapter. I think I should have just used the Metra steering wheel adapter too (since it was prewired for it), but :shrug:

The Maestro is programmed for the car. It has power and ground. I cannot get it to recognize the steering wheel signal, even though I took the light green wire coming off the steering wheel as instructed. I'm getting either 5 blinking green lights on the Maestro, or 6, or 8, depending on what I have it hooked up to. I'm kinda at a loss here, since I've tried every wire combo I can come up with... the Maestro is definitely hooked up to the head unit and sending signals, because it'll randomly make the head unit beep and change input, or volume, or ....

So I'll call the Maestro people tomorrow and see what's up.

The sound, though, is a world better than the stock head unit. So much more clear and powerful. Bose doesn't even sound terrible.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted out, but it's a point where I'm psychically drawn down and I just want the poo poo to work...

Plus, I have the A/V wiring harness ordered where I'll add front and rear cameras, which will be cool, but I'm sure another level of fresh hell.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Alright. Update. Going to crosspost this in my garbage thread.

After Amazon shipping a non-2200NEX instead of what I ordered, I ended up taking a chance with a 4400NEX from eBay. Great loving choice. This thing is impressively capable. But installation is not easy.

I've got basic audio set up. HD Radio is working. Bluetooth Audio is working.

However, steering wheel controls are not working. GPS antenna is undetermined. Wireless Android Auto doesn't work with my S9+, but does work with an old N6. Curiously, I think I have a working sim in the N6, so :shrug: However, it doesn't really matter, since the battery in the N6 sucks and it needs to be plugged in anyway.

So. I'm chasing the steering wheel controls. I'm using the Maestro SW that this thread recommended, but I'm also using a Metra wiring harness adapter. I think I should have just used the Metra steering wheel adapter too (since it was prewired for it), but :shrug:

The Maestro is programmed for the car. It has power and ground. I cannot get it to recognize the steering wheel signal, even though I took the light green wire coming off the steering wheel as instructed. I'm getting either 5 blinking green lights on the Maestro, or 6, or 8, depending on what I have it hooked up to. I'm kinda at a loss here, since I've tried every wire combo I can come up with... the Maestro is definitely hooked up to the head unit and sending signals, because it'll randomly make the head unit beep and change input, or volume, or ....

So I'll call the Maestro people tomorrow and see what's up.

The sound, though, is a world better than the stock head unit. So much more clear and powerful. Bose doesn't even sound terrible.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted out, but it's a point where I'm psychically drawn down and I just want the poo poo to work...

Plus, I have the A/V wiring harness ordered where I'll add front and rear cameras, which will be cool, but I'm sure another level of fresh hell.

when I did my Maestro install, the instructions didnt indicate the correct wire for something. I forget what, but I had an existing lovely steering wheel control adapter in there, and the wire colours that it was using did not match the ones the Maestro manual said to use. I cant recall if I followed the instructions or followed my gut and used the ones that had already been spliced for the old adapter.

but yeah, there was a discrepancy in the manual. check the wiring diagram for your car to confirm you have the correct wires.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Laserface posted:

when I did my Maestro install, the instructions didnt indicate the correct wire for something. I forget what, but I had an existing lovely steering wheel control adapter in there, and the wire colours that it was using did not match the ones the Maestro manual said to use. I cant recall if I followed the instructions or followed my gut and used the ones that had already been spliced for the old adapter.

but yeah, there was a discrepancy in the manual. check the wiring diagram for your car to confirm you have the correct wires.

I ended up having to call Maestro. They were really helpful, though they had me pull the wire from a different part of the harness from where their instructions specified. :wtc:

Trip report: 4400NEX is up and running. The cheapo mic is inop, I think, but everything else looks good. Wireless Android Auto is boss.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I can't say I'm really a audiophile when it comes to car audio, but out of curiosity: How are Harman Kardon audio systems in cars regarded? Or is it wildly different from car to car?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

I can't say I'm really a audiophile when it comes to car audio, but out of curiosity: How are Harman Kardon audio systems in cars regarded? Or is it wildly different from car to car?

I'd imagine it's wildly different from car to car, but ~premium~ brand car stereos always feel like more of a price-hike option than an actual feature. Especially if it's the kind that has special wiring that needs to be stripped out and rerouted if you ever want to replace it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Harman Kardon system in my E46 sucks rear end with the stock speakers, but it has good electronics and sounds great with the kits that replace OEM speakers but keep everything else.

The Infinity (a Harman company) system in my Elantra is pretty drat good after a firmware update. Before the firmware update it sounded harsh. It certainly sounds good enough for me to not want to go through the effort of upgrading it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I currently have a loaner 2019 Impreza with the HK option, and earlier in the year I had the same model car without it. The sound in the one without was complete garbage. It seemed like the soundstage was in the passenger side footwell, and nothing could be adjusted to fix that. With the HK setup it feels where it should be, around the upper body area with actual stereo separation. The sound quality still lacks, there’s no real bass and you need to roll off the treble a bit otherwise it’s too harsh (and there’s only a 3 band EQ to adjust), but it is listenable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

OTOH, I've owned two cars that were the same year/make/model, but one was a base model, one was the top of the line model (without premium sound). They had different head units from the factory, but the speakers were the same. IIRC, the "premium" version just added amps and Pioneer components up front, to the same head unit.

The base model's stereo sounded absolutely terrible. The top trim non-premium stereo sounds pretty drat decent - same speakers. And yes, I went so far as to swap the head units between the cars (and in fact, I just put the factory head unit back in one of them today). It's not just the branding, it's sometimes the trim level too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't test it out much but it sounded decent, albeit a bit "flat". But EQ settings do a lot as well. I'll have to play with the settings when (if) I get the car.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone that considers themselves an "audiophile" would never consider an OEM stereo as audiophile. The premium option will usually be quite a bit better than the standard option but no where near a mid/high end aftermarket setup.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Scrapez posted:

Anyone that considers themselves an "audiophile" would never consider an OEM stereo as audiophile. The premium option will usually be quite a bit better than the standard option but no where near a mid/high end aftermarket setup.

Anyone that considers themselves an "audiophile" wouldn't have anything to do with a car stereo.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Anyone that considers themselves an "audiophile" wouldn't have anything to do with a car stereo.

While I get your point, there are plenty of audiophiles into car audio. They just understand that there's a ceiling for accuracy due to the difficult environment.

With today's advanced dsps and everything that has been learned over the years, that ceiling had been raised.

There always have been some pretty amazing setups competing in IASCA pro category.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I only buy prius with the JBL units. The JBL units are not good but the stock units are very bad.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I've just gotten a Nissan X-Trail as a family hauler car for the next couple of years and am looking to upgrade the head unit as the unit in there is horrible, even though it was meant to be an upgrade unit back when this vehicle was new 10 years ago. A couple of questions on the market out there though.

Is it possible to get a Double DIN head unit with physical button controls (no touch screen) that will also show a reverse camera at a decent resolution?

Also are there any manufacturers out there that doesn't design their UI with a blindfold on? All of the units I've seen look great if you have Android Auto or Carplay running but once you get into the stock UI it just looks like rear end.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aargh posted:

I've just gotten a Nissan X-Trail as a family hauler car for the next couple of years and am looking to upgrade the head unit as the unit in there is horrible, even though it was meant to be an upgrade unit back when this vehicle was new 10 years ago. A couple of questions on the market out there though.

Is it possible to get a Double DIN head unit with physical button controls (no touch screen) that will also show a reverse camera at a decent resolution?

Also are there any manufacturers out there that doesn't design their UI with a blindfold on? All of the units I've seen look great if you have Android Auto or Carplay running but once you get into the stock UI it just looks like rear end.

What year X-Trail? I always thought the x-terras were cool.

My AVH4000NEX is now outdated but you might be able to find one used, it's a double din head unit with physical buttons along the bottom. I don't think you'll find a double din entirely without touch controls. I generally like mine. The UI is changeable to some extent and I have the backup camera hooked up to it which works flawlessly.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Bose system in my NC Miata sucks. Anyway to tell if it's more the fault of the headunit or the speakers? Replacing everything would be more expensive.

Also getting lovely vibration/rattling from bass in both of my cars. Does this mean loose door cards, blown speakers, or potentially both?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it's like the GM Bose setups, you can't just change the head unit or speakers - I want to say they had amps at each speaker or some poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
With more and more integrated infotainment, it's going to become less and less practical for these companies to invest money into head unit development. It's upsetting because they're behind literally everything else. You have to pay extra for a glass capacitive screen lol. It would be nice if someone took head unit UI and styling seriously. This coming from a guy witha a 4200NEX and 3300NEX.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

What year X-Trail? I always thought the x-terras were cool.

My AVH4000NEX is now outdated but you might be able to find one used, it's a double din head unit with physical buttons along the bottom. I don't think you'll find a double din entirely without touch controls. I generally like mine. The UI is changeable to some extent and I have the backup camera hooked up to it which works flawlessly.

It's a 2010 TL with a thoroughly uninspiring 2.0L diesel and lethargic automatic but we got a good deal from my wife's parents and with another baby on the way needed to change from our current car.

The car currently has an Eclipse head unit that came from the factory but it's so old that the Bluetooth in it doesn't recognise any phones past about 2013 and the screen is nigh on invisible during daylight hours.

I'll look into the pioneer, I'm in Australia so the model numbers get changed around for some reason. I'm not against touch screens so much it's just that I don't really need it, I thought maybe there might be an option that just allows for easy to use large dials and buttons with a camera but no unnecessary sub menus and laggy interface.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Sorry, this is off topic. Is there a similar thread for Home Audio? Actually what I'm looking for is something related to a A/V furniture recommendations (floating / wall hanging, like ikea BESTA).

Related to recent discussion- I head a 2000s Maxima with upgraded stereo (Bose?) and it was the hugest pain in the butt to rip out and put in stock stuff. Iirc there was power and an amp at each speaker locally. Seemed dumb.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

falz posted:

Sorry, this is off topic. Is there a similar thread for Home Audio? Actually what I'm looking for is something related to a A/V furniture recommendations (floating / wall hanging, like ikea BESTA).

Related to recent discussion- I head a 2000s Maxima with upgraded stereo (Bose?) and it was the hugest pain in the butt to rip out and put in stock stuff. Iirc there was power and an amp at each speaker locally. Seemed dumb.
There is!

Getting your first home audio system? Read this.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

falz posted:

Bose is overpriced garbage for hip idiots.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
No highs, no lows, must be Bose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

falz posted:

The hilarious part is that having discrete amps at the speaker location actually makes far less sense than the common way of having an amp in or near the head unit and running speaker cables, because line level interconnects are way more vulnerable to electromagnetic interference than speaker level interconnects, which is a bit of a THING in car audio.

Is the Bose R&D shop next to a solvent factory or something?