Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The colts established the run so hard they created a scrum, then won the scrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Barudak posted:

Don't forget Marlon Mack adding his weight to his RG to help road grade his way to a first down.

Or Marlon Mack giving Brisset that extra nudge on a sneak to ensure a first down. I'm rapidly becoming a Marlon Mack fan.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Someone go get all the stats. I have no idea where to find that stuff. We need to know run/pass ratio, attempts, rushing yards and TDs, as well as any notable comments on a particular performance.

Qwijib0 posted:

My letter-writing campaign has borne fruit, as the Arizona Cardinals have reversed this trend with a respectable performance of 266 yards rushing on 38 carries in their complete and utter annihilation of the Cincinnati Bengals (trust me, don't worry about checking the game tape).

This was more carries than pass attempts (32) and pass yards (248).

Nice to see that Kliff will actually run the ball if it's working. I wasn't sure if he would honestly

Barudak posted:

Lo the run was established, and it was good.

:worship:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The first Head Coach firing happened today, as Washington fired Jay Gruden.

Let's look at some stats after 5 games:
Rushing att/yards
88/344

Passing att/yards
179/1156

Record
0-5

The Run was never Established, and that is the price to be paid

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The hubris of Andy Reid:

quote:

The Chiefs didn't try to alleviate pressure by calling more running plays. They tried runs on just 14 of their 57 plays. LeSean McCoy, their leading rusher entering the game, got no carries.

"They were banged up a little bit in the secondary," Reid said of the Colts. "I thought we could take advantage of that."

The Chiefs weren't productive with the run, gaining 36 yards. A more concerted effort to run the ball might have made a difference.

Barudak posted:

Then the NFL took away the first down :argh:

In other news, the Raiders are 3-0 when establishing the run, this time against the Bears vaunted run defense. It should’ve been a blowout if not for a few miscues and just passing too much. Josh Jacobs was destroying them all day, there wasn’t much reason to bother with anything else. The unsettling trend I’m seeing is unnecessarily trying to go for balance, leading to poor second halves after dominant run heavy ball control first halves. The line needs to order those "RUN THE drat BALL" hats the Colts players bought.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Christian McCaffrey ran 19 times for 176 yards and 2 touchdowns against Jacksonville.

Aaron Jones had FOUR rushing touchdowns to go with his 107 yards on the ground in 19 attempts. Add in Aaron Rodger's 4 rushes and Tra Carson's 6, and the Packers had 29 rushing attempts to just 22 pass completions (34 attempts). Not an impressive ratio or yardage total, but the 4 TDs is noteworthy.

The Oakland Raiders rushed with six different personnel, totaling 39 attempts compared to just 32 passing attempts (25 completions). Rookie Josh Jacobs established 26 runs for 123 yards and two touchdowns, dominating the Chicago Bears who pathetically only attempted 17 rushes achieving just 42 yards on the ground! Compare that to Chase Daniel's 30 passing attempts (22 completions). Despite the clinic put on by the Colts last night in rushing, you have to take note of this ratio of ground domination, and the fact that the Raiders were demonstrating the power of The Run to help introduce our beloved game to the British.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

A good week of the run

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The Oakland Raiders rushed with six different personnel, totaling 39 attempts compared to just 32 passing attempts (25 completions). Rookie Josh Jacobs established 26 runs for 123 yards and two touchdowns, dominating the Chicago Bears who pathetically only attempted 17 rushes achieving just 42 yards on the ground! Compare that to Chase Daniel's 30 passing attempts (22 completions). Despite the clinic put on by the Colts last night in rushing, you have to take note of this ratio of ground domination, and the fact that the Raiders were demonstrating the power of The Run to help introduce our beloved game to the British.

For their outreach in spreading the warm light of the Run to the godless heathens in London, my provisional vote is to the Raiders. Just brings a tear to my eye

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't wanna vote till the niners play tonight, they might well establish the run.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Please note that while gaudy numbers were put up in the pass game - the Texans ran the ball 34 times to 33 passes.

Included in those 34 runs were feeding Carlos Hyde the ball 21 times for 60 yards. Work was put in on the ground and while the effort did not match the run establishment of the Colts (and a few others), I feel that it should be acknowledged with a solitary head nod - nothing flashy like a handshake - in honor of Carlos Hyde's efforts.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Please note that while gaudy numbers were put up in the pass game - the Texans ran the ball 34 times to 33 passes.

Included in those 34 runs were feeding Carlos Hyde the ball 21 times for 60 yards. Work was put in on the ground and while the effort did not match the run establishment of the Colts (and a few others), I feel that it should be acknowledged with a solitary head nod - nothing flashy like a handshake - in honor of Carlos Hyde's efforts.

Indeed. Actually, the Texans used the run beautifully to stay on schedule. They were successful on first, second and even third down and gave Watson favorable situations to throw the ball. Usually you don't see a run game and a pass game work so flawlessly together

I mean, better had they not passed at all but it's a huge improvement from last season. I'm not sure if they punted once the whole game, I think their only failed drive was the end of the 2nd quarter

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/RickGosselin9/status/1181294917131411456?s=19

:hmmyes:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Leperflesh posted:

Don't wanna vote till the niners play tonight, they might well establish the run.

An 83 yard TD run on their first offensive snap, and 275 rushing yards on 40 carries (to 29 pass attempts), including a 114 yard rusher and a 97 yard rusher. We should definitely consider the possibility that they established the run.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

raminasi posted:

An 83 yard TD run on their first offensive snap, and 275 rushing yards on 40 carries (to 29 pass attempts), including a 114 yard rusher and a 97 yard rusher. We should definitely consider the possibility that they established the run.

I don’t think there’s any competition for Indy and SF.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And so he spoke to them, truly I tell you, as the run is established on the field so shall it be established in the endzone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

juszczyk sprained a knee establishing the run

I was ready to vote raiders or maybe colts but I gotta be a homer and hand it to the niners, for showing that running the drat ball is the path to 4-0.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Top 6 Run/Pass Ratio teams of Week 5:

Seattle: 1.87 Ratio - 43 Attempts - 167 Yards - 3.9 Y/Per
Denver: 1.6 Ratio - 32 Attempts - 191 Yards - 6.0 Y/Per
Indianapolis: 1.5 Ratio - 45 Attempts - 180 Yards - 4.0 Y/Per
Baltimore: 1.43 Ratio - 40 Attempts - 138 Yards - 3.5 Y/Per
San Francisco: 1.38 Ratio - 40 Attempts - 275 Yards - 6.9 Y/Per
Minnesota: 1.26 Ratio - 34 Attempts - 211 Yards - 6.2 Y/Per

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have to give it to indianpolis, they beat an undefeated opponent by running the most total times this week despite three other teams getting better returns on the run. They had a play that turned into rugby scrum. I repeat, they established the run so hard they temporarily changed games to one that outlaws the forward pass

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah while SF had the flashy run game, an 83 yard carry is just denying yourself the opportunity for several more carries in the drive to really grind it in. Colts get my vote this week.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2:7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the turf and ground into him the grit of life and the man became a living being.

2:8 Now the Lord God had built a stadium in the east, in Canton, and there he put the man he had formed.

2:9 The Lord God drew up all kinds of plays to cover the field-- plays that were pleasing to the eye and good for yards. In the middle of the playbook was the play of the flying V and the play of the knowledge of passing backwards and forwards.

2:16 The Lord God said "You are free to run any play in the stadium"

2:17 "but the play of the knowledge of passing backwards and forwards, for when you run it you shall surely retire"

2:18 The Lord God said "It is not good for man to scheme alone. I will make a helper suitable for him

2:21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep bye-week; and while he was resting he took from him one of his ribs and then closed up the place by rubbing dirt on it

2:21 Then the Lord God made a coach from the rib he had taken from man and he brought the coach to mans lockerroom

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 8, 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The 49ers had 6.9 ypc though thats worth extra points

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Athanatos posted:

Top 6 Run/Pass Ratio teams of Week 5:

Seattle: 1.87 Ratio - 43 Attempts - 167 Yards - 3.9 Y/Per
Denver: 1.6 Ratio - 32 Attempts - 191 Yards - 6.0 Y/Per
Indianapolis: 1.5 Ratio - 45 Attempts - 180 Yards - 4.0 Y/Per
Baltimore: 1.43 Ratio - 40 Attempts - 138 Yards - 3.5 Y/Per
San Francisco: 1.38 Ratio - 40 Attempts - 275 Yards - 6.9 Y/Per
Minnesota: 1.26 Ratio - 34 Attempts - 211 Yards - 6.2 Y/Per

drat didn’t realize Seattle put up that kind of ratio on low yardage, that’s some establishment I gotta admit

Vando posted:

Yeah while SF had the flashy run game, an 83 yard carry is just denying yourself the opportunity for several more carries in the drive to really grind it in. Colts get my vote this week.

It’s the highest amount of running possible, a run which is also a drive, killing the pass before it is even born

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
The Colts converted 2 4th downs with runs. One of those was also a set of downs where the Colts ran on Every. Single. Down. All 4.

Barudak posted:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Athanatos posted:

The Colts converted 2 4th downs with runs. One of those was also a set of downs where the Colts ran on Every. Single. Down. All 4.

Lol 92 on the Chiefs there - "I'm helping!"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I have to go with the 49ers, although several others including the Raiders and Colts have good claim on it.

However, I watched that game and it was absolute domination via the run. That kind of endorsement for our lifestyle is incredibly valuable, and should lead to more establishing of the run. There was one drive in particular that went: pass, run, run, run, 4th down run, run, run, run, run, run, run, touchdown run

Athanatos posted:

One of those was also a set of downs where the Colts ran on Every. Single. Down. All 4.

49ers did the same, actually, although I think they just had the one 4th down run

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The Colts deserve the championship for defeating the throwing MVP traitor team.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I think the 49ers earned it on raw numbers alone. An argument could be made for the Colts, though I'm not sure if the Chiefs D is better on paper than the Browns D.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bob Socko posted:

I think the 49ers earned it on raw numbers alone. An argument could be made for the Colts, though I'm not sure if the Chiefs D is better on paper than the Browns D.

Killing the passing champs by running it down their throat is an amazing storyline. That's what matters.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Seattle, in the face of a mere 3.9YPC still committed at almost 2:1, they are the true ETR champions of week 5.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So when is the wishbone coming back? Surely it'd be good against linemen built to get in the backfield fast.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

So when is the wishbone coming back? Surely it'd be good against linemen built to get in the backfield fast.

The traditional wishbone fell out of vogue because it's really slow developing and it's hard to get any misdirection going consistently when a lot of your plays are slow fake or give to the fullback obviously going to one side. Even fast small defenses can throw a whole bunch of dudes to one side of the field when every play takes two seconds before people start moving.

Even though I love my childhood football the flexbone moves faster and is better and one day I want to see a tiny armed services academy quarterback running it in the NFL.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Another reason the 49ers are deserving: they use a fullback more than any other team in the league. A LOT more.

Do the Colts even HAVE a fullback? pfffft

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
The 49ers established the run vs the Browns

The Colts established the run vs the 2nd best team in the NFL and won

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

That is true, but it also must be said the Chiefs are the 2nd best team in the NFL with maybe the 31st best run defense.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The run is finally starting to be established in Green Bay

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1181692069712220161?s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

The run is finally starting to be established in Green Bay

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1181692069712220161?s=19

Judging by their last game that rate should improve, even. Almost everything that won them that game happened on the ground

They've got a ways to go, but I salute our Green Bay brothers for their crucial progress

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

I'm going to have to step in and mention this is not a scrum but in fact a maul :eng101:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Athanatos posted:

The 49ers established the run vs the Browns

The Colts established the run vs the 2nd best team in the NFL and won

This is a convincing argument for the Colts.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
We'll give it another night then open the vote tomorrow afternoon since it's close this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The colts did it best. The niners did it most.

I vote colts due to establishing vs the premier anti run team

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 9, 2019