Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm aware of nothing even close to this. We were already in a state of extreme draw down due to Trump's previous 'gently caress syria i want nothing to do with it' orders

Which part are you not aware of? That trump has threatened complete withdrawal of troops, or that there's been republican pushback to the idea?

skylined! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

fool_of_sound posted:

Oh no, if trump loses the mandate of heaven we'll suffer a 50% increase in liberty desire for our overseas holdings AND a -1 annual legitimacy

Pat Robertson’s Age Defying Pancakes shares will take a hit. I seem to recall him hocking that on some religious news network that he probably owned

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

In all of this, has anyone in the House, Senate, or the candidates asked what did Erdogan offer to Trump to get him to invade Syria?

Not a soul that I've noticed, so they've likely assumed it's related to a Trump Tower quid pro quo, meaning they can't press on it without people asking about the impeachment process about similar things, so they're in lock and hope he blinks. But the MIC wants to go to war to make some hometown hamburger for missile money while the RealPolitik and Religious military types don't want that because they like the ISIL killing kurds.

This kind of flatly stupid thing feels more complicated than it has any right to be.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

why are they making this into a tv movie in the first place

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

skylined! posted:

Which part are you not aware of? That trump has threatened complete withdrawal of troops, or that there's been republican pushback to the idea?

These 2 or 3 recent times you've mentioned where he's tried to do this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

No Safe Word posted:

Also there is no way they'll be able to properly portray how huge an idiot Trump is.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

No Safe Word posted:

Have you seen the state of network TV? I was watching CBS and they were showing ads for their Thursday(?) lineup: SWAT followed by Seal Team.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Should've announced with "Dumb and Dumber's Jeff Daniels to star as..."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
If only Chris Farley was still alive to play Trump

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

this is hard to believe. maybe they communicated via kushner's whatsapp?

Oracle posted:

Trump Tower Istanbul opened yesterday. That's it. This is Trump's quid pro quo to Erdogan in exchange for his tower. Helps that big daddy Putin likes the move too.

that ivanka tweet is over seven years old

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not going to call you wrong, but this requires that Trump heard a thing and remembered it

Even odds.

you know what, fair

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You're literally as dumb as Trump if you think Turkey was going to blow up a ton of american regular forces and SOF in airstrikes. Especially after literally years of practicing restraint specifically towards anything flying an American flag
And you're delusional if you think Trump would sacrifice one minute of "executive time" to do gently caress all to defend Kurds or anytime else.

I mean, it's Trump, so maybe the just talked about how cool his tower is and then he bumped his head and pulled out of Syria, but it seems likely he just decided it's too much effort to think about it and did what he's wanted to do for 3 years.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well they kept saying they were going to invade Northern Syria, and were openly preparing to invade Northern Syria, and then called President Mushbrains, who is now tweeting orders to pull out of Northern Syria.

Could be some hella 5D chess, but it sure looks like they told him they were gonna invade Northern Syria.

you don't have to express your befuddlement in terms of "trump 5d chess master"

if erdogan did indeed pressure trump to pull back troops, he did so via persuasion or some kind of bribe rather than via threat

of course, it is just as likely that trump made this decision all on his own like a big boy and world leaders and politicians are scrambling to make sense of his whimsical rulership

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

These 2 or 3 recent times you've mentioned where he's tried to do this

I may be conflating op-eds with news announcements over the last year, or troop downturns with full removals, but I could have sworn he's threatened full troop removal on twitter before and received (tepid) republican blowback. I remember them specifically with his claims that ISIS had been defeated.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And you're delusional if you think Trump would sacrifice one minute of "executive time" to do gently caress all to defend Kurds or anytime else.

I mean, it's Trump, so maybe the just talked about how cool his tower is and then he bumped his head and pulled out of Syria, but it seems likely he just decided it's too much effort to think about it and did what he's wanted to do for 3 years.

US has had units stationed specifically between the factions for years now as a way of keeping the peace and it requires literally zero seconds of Trump's time.

skylined! posted:

I may be conflating op-eds with news announcements over the last year, or troop downturns with full removals, but I could have sworn he's threatened full troop removal on twitter before and received (tepid) republican blowback. I remember them specifically with his claims that ISIS had been defeated.

afaict you're thinking of the recent threats to completely pull out of Afghanistan or otherwise the actual withdrawal from earlier in his presidency. The US presence in Syria has been so low for a long time now that there is hardly anything left to withdraw, which is a lot of why this is so ridiculous. We had a skeleton force in Syria that was getting some of the best bang for their buck that us foreign policy actions ever do (with an essentially zero civilian bodycount for once) just by existing as a buffer to turkish/fsa/kurdish forces.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You don't think that Trump would love to lead a unified coalition of most of NATO to strike back at an easily identifiable villain who killed American troops

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

luxury handset posted:

you don't have to express your befuddlement in terms of "trump 5d chess master"

if erdogan did indeed pressure trump to pull back troops, he did so via persuasion or some kind of bribe rather than via threat

of course, it is just as likely that trump made this decision all on his own like a big boy and world leaders and politicians are scrambling to make sense of his whimsical rulership
I'm not saying he got on the phone and yelled "Death to the great Satan!" He probably just told Trump he was going to invade and to keep Americans away from the poo poo that was going to explode. Then Trump did what he wanted to do anyway.

There doesn't need to be done weird deal here. Trump doesn't want to be in Syria, and Erdogan does. You don't have to bring a guy to do something he has already tried to do twice.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm not saying he got on the phone and yelled "Death to the great Satan!" He probably just told Trump he was going to invade and to keep Americans away from the poo poo that was going to explode. Then Trump did what he wanted to do anyway.

You were accusing people itt of writing clancy fanfic like 4 pages ago.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder how many more times Trump is going to threaten our national security before his time in office is over.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

You're literally as dumb as Trump if you think Turkey was going to blow up a ton of american regular forces and SOF in airstrikes. Especially after literally years of practicing restraint specifically towards anything flying an American flag

Honestly I think that’s what Trump thought they would do. So he immediately ordered the troops out as he knows that another war would be bad for him, especially right now. That would explain why this fought everyone (including the Turks) by surprise.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He probably just told Trump he was going to invade and to keep Americans away from the poo poo that was going to explode.

this is a wildly risky move on erdogan's part and makes no sense at all given how obviously trump can be manipulated into doing just whatever

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Rabble posted:

I wonder how many more times Trump is going to threaten our national security before his time in office is over.
How many days are left till 1/20/2021?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rabble posted:

I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t threatened the military on a Senator or Nancy Pelosi, instead taking the “DO SOMETHING!” Approach

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

You don't think that Trump would love to lead a unified coalition of most of NATO to strike back at an easily identifiable villain who killed American troops

Absolutely not. Trump wants to be praised for being a heroic leader- actually leading is something he has zero interest in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It genuinely feels like every loving day now. Was it this insane with Nixon?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Numlock posted:

Honestly I think that’s what Trump thought they would do. So he immediately ordered the troops out as he knows that another war would be bad for him, especially right now. That would explain why this fought everyone (including the Turks) by surprise.

A war he didn't start would be extremely good for him

Prester Jane posted:

Absolutely not. Trump wants to be praised for being a heroic leader- actually leading is something he has zero interest in.
"Lead" by telling his generals "go beat up turkey" and then claiming credit for the plan

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1181278296832479232

maybe the white house is quietly telling the pentagon to just ignore the announcement and it's going to be memory-holed

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1181272201955282944?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

maybe the white house is quietly telling the pentagon to just ignore the announcement and it's going to be memory-holed

thats my guess.

not really surprised but at the same time i kinda am.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

nixon was competent

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

"Lead" by telling his generals "go beat up turkey" and then claiming credit for the plan

That's still entirely too much leadership for him. Again, Trump would love to be praised for being a heroic leader, but actually standing up to a rival who will denounce him/fight back is something he is not capable of doing and will avoid at all costs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

evilweasel posted:

If they don't completely ignore Trump's directive, we can basically kiss any soft power projection good bye for a couple decades because this would literally show the US to be a worse ally than no ally at all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not really surprised but at the same time i kinda am.

some random lowlifes who are not actually governmental officials seem like the ideal candidate to bring back inherent contempt arrests on

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

evilweasel posted:

here's the full statement

The Department of Defense made clear to Turkey - as did the President - that we do not endorse a Turkish operation in Northern Syria. The U.S. Armed Forces will not support, or be involved in any such operation.

In conversations between the Department and the Turkish military we have consistently stressed that coordination and cooperation were the best path toward security in the area. Secretary Esper and Chairman Milley reiterated to their respective Turkish counterparts that unilateral action creates risks for Turkey. As the President has stated, Turkey would be responsible, along with European nations and others, for thousands of ISIS fighters who had been captured and defeated in the campaign lead by the United States.

We will work with our other NATO allies and Coalition partners to reiterate to Turkey the possible destabilizing consequences of potential actions to Turkey, the region, and beyond.

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Re...or-public-affa/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking forward to Rashida Tlaib arresting them

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I've asked several people this, who were of varying ages but all adults at the time. Generally for the very most politically-aware people, it was frightening but they didn't know the depth of Nixon's paranoia in real-time. They didn't know he was drinking heavily, didn't know the JCOS had made a pact to ignore launch orders, etc.

For politically unaware people, even the resignation came out of nowhere and the impeachment hadn't really sunk in yet by that time.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just imagine being Ukraine or the Kurds, your life, or death, decided on by the whims of Donald J. Trump.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

theflyingorc posted:

I hate to break this to you, but Trump is stupid. Like a bag of hammers would beat him in a spelling bee dumb.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Spacebump posted:

I can't wait until we have a non-idiot POTUS. I'm tired of major scandals every week with no repercussions.

How long will the cleanup be once Trump is gone? And how much of this can be repaired?

Like I would hope that our (former?) allies would take into consideration that Trump is a loving idiot, but legitimate or not, "America" elected him into office.

Has Trump done so much damage that we won't be able to go back to how we were wrt foreign relations?

I mean, he's already driven away a few countries that used to import from America because of his trade war tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Rinkles posted:

here's the full statement

The Department of Defense made clear to Turkey - as did the President - that we do not endorse a Turkish operation in Northern Syria. The U.S. Armed Forces will not support, or be involved in any such operation.

In conversations between the Department and the Turkish military we have consistently stressed that coordination and cooperation were the best path toward security in the area. Secretary Esper and Chairman Milley reiterated to their respective Turkish counterparts that unilateral action creates risks for Turkey. As the President has stated, Turkey would be responsible, along with European nations and others, for thousands of ISIS fighters who had been captured and defeated in the campaign lead by the United States.

We will work with our other NATO allies and Coalition partners to reiterate to Turkey the possible destabilizing consequences of potential actions to Turkey, the region, and beyond.

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Re...or-public-affa/

Moving the goalpost?

"The fake news took my perfect statement and made it into something its not" will be the new talking point.