Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

This is my approach too. My driveway is pretty steep, I'd eyeball it at around 10-15%, so it gets a bit hairy when things are icy but winter tires are magical things.

For some reason neither of my housemates are willing to admit this though, so we have a beast of a two stage snowblower that can clear enough for all-seasons to make it in about five minutes. Sucks to be them on winter mornings, I'm curled up comfortably in bed.

Thankfully my driveway is entirely flat. The only time I really need to shovel is when the town plows the road and pushes up a 2 feet high embankment in front of my driveway.. I took the lazy way out and tried to power through one of those once and embarrassingly beached my car on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

One thing I learned during my detour into heart attack land is that shoveling snow is like super super deadly.

I'm serious. My one month followup with my cardiologist basically went like this.

Doctor: "Your heart function is normal from the echo. You have no activity restrictions, none. Well, except if this wasn't May. Then I would tell you that shoveling show is forbidden."

It's a combination of using muscles you aren't usually using in a motion that you don't normally do, leading to extra strain at a time of year when you might be more sedentary, combined with cold air that causes your blood vessels to constrict, spiking your blood pressure, depriving your heart of oxygen, and making it beat faster. Basically it's a recipe for worst case outcome if you were to develop a clot/blockage.

Yep. I'm still recovering from open heart and about to be cleared for driving. My cardiologist told me I could never, ever shovel snow again.

Which is fine by me, since my lawn guys also do my snow removal :smuggo:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've no idea what's happened at Polycom but they're now producing $500 phones that look like the poo poo that the Chinese vendors were putting out a decade ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am the upcoming ui design discussion.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

One thing I learned during my detour into heart attack land is that shoveling snow is like super super deadly.

I'm serious. My one month followup with my cardiologist basically went like this.

Doctor: "Your heart function is normal from the echo. You have no activity restrictions, none. Well, except if this wasn't May. Then I would tell you that shoveling show is forbidden."

It's a combination of using muscles you aren't usually using in a motion that you don't normally do, leading to extra strain at a time of year when you might be more sedentary, combined with cold air that causes your blood vessels to constrict, spiking your blood pressure, depriving your heart of oxygen, and making it beat faster. Basically it's a recipe for worst case outcome if you were to develop a clot/blockage.

It can be strenuous and moreso than people think. Granted I don't do any power shoveling at the gym and I drink a lot of beer but I think I'm reasonably active. Heart (and sweat) rate does go up pretty quickly, but, hey how long do I want to live anyways?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're shovelling snow six months of the year then I think I'd seriously consider those driveway heater things. moving

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Shoveling snow really isn't bad. You should think about moving to the Northeast or Midwest, especially if you're living on the West Coast. It's so much cheaper, there!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Shoveling snow really isn't bad. You should think about moving to the Northeast or Midwest, especially if you're living on the West Coast. It's so much cheaper, there!

Midwest is garbage. Unless you live in the far north of Minnesota or Wisconsin where it's actually kinda pretty (outside of summer).

All the corn growing areas are insanely depressing to look at.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Midwest is garbage. Unless you live in the far north of Minnesota or Wisconsin where it's actually kinda pretty (outside of summer).

All the corn growing areas are insanely depressing to look at.

Hence:

Bob Morales posted:

But you can join the rat race in driving 3-4 hours "up north" every weekend for three months out of the year and get 7mpg pulling a camper trailer with your $60k pickup truck and stopping at jerky stores and pasty shops

Do not travel north of Mpls/St. Paul on a Friday during the summer unless you like being stuck behind everyone else going north for the weekend.

I live in northern MN and while it is beautiful most of the year, the job market isn't too great. I'd probably make like 25% more working in the Twin Cities.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Partycat posted:

It can be strenuous and moreso than people think. Granted I don't do any power shoveling at the gym and I drink a lot of beer but I think I'm reasonably active. Heart (and sweat) rate does go up pretty quickly, but, hey how long do I want to live anyways?

I was reasonably active too, up until the point where I stood up from a squat changing a tire and ended up in the hospital later that day.

I bought a snowblower a long time ago anyways so I'm not too worried about it this winter. There are years where I never break it out at all, but after the dumping we got back in 2010 and the week to took me to actually full clear my driveway (on top of the extra snow we kept getting that week), I noped out of manual snow removal pretty quickly. It's poo poo exercise, causes easy injury, and the risk for death doing it goes up every year. I'll leave it to my Toro.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I've no idea what's happened at Polycom but they're now producing $500 phones that look like the poo poo that the Chinese vendors were putting out a decade ago.

lol is that the "new value tier"? I had to spend 800+ on the mid-tier trio model compatible with my phone server, and it still looked jank.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Partycat posted:

My back is hosed and shoveling snow aggravates it probably more than anything else so I bought a snowblower a few years ago. How did I make it this far without one...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Any of ya'll speak Portuguese?

We have a reseller who is apparently upset that one of our products truncates the Portuguese word for Friday (Sexta-feira) to “Sex” in date fields. Which, despite NOT being the Portuguese for “sex”, is apparently seen as offensive? Somehow? He's claiming his clients are upset.

“Sex” in Portuguese translates to “Fri” in English. “Sex” in English translates to “sexo” in Portuguese. So they’re not the same word at all? At least according to Google Translate.

Also, the product currently only supports English, is sold only through our English-only website, and points up to datacenters in English-speaking countries. We truncate dates to the first three letters on purpose. There's not room for a larger word without redesigning the fields.

Anyway the whole things strikes me as this one guy is some horrible prude who can't stand to be reminded that sex is a thing that exists.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

stevewm posted:

I hate the IEC power connector.... It can appear to be plugged in...but not actually plugged in! I feel like I get several calls a month about them working loose, generally from monitors since the cords are usually vertical on those. Had 2 today.

I once plugged an adtran router into a PDU that was 220, the adtran didn't auto switch 110/220 like I thought everything did. It burned up instantly. I knocked out the plug with something ( I forget what) and casually packed it back in and started to leave. The client basically stood there mouth agape.

What was I going to say or do to fix it?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Partycat posted:

Hmm snow shovelling gym for hypermasculine "extreme" exercise seekers. If CrossFit caught on this'll be a slam dunk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I live in the Portland, OR area and I've never shoveled snow in my life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best part of living in Holland Michigan last year was when the polar vortex hit. -50 with the windchill was not fun. Never again.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRINK COFFEE, LEARN TO MAKE COFFEE!

That is all.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CollegeCop posted:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRINK COFFEE, LEARN TO MAKE COFFEE!

That is all.

I used to buy cheap maxwell house from Costco (PBUC) and drown it with sugar to not care about the taste.

Eventually my wife (rightfully) got on my case about it tasting bad and the sugar I have with it so we invested in a decent drip coffee maker from Ninja and a pretty decent small grinder... Also from Costco. We now get Peet's coffee and grind it fresh, and it is such god damned good coffee now. Don't underestimate small changes.

Pissing me off today: no communications programs work (Skype, outlook, etc) but the ticketing system does.. And sends updates via email.

On one hand I'm pissed that multiple people like myself can't email or IM, but it is rather quiet and peaceful to work the work that I can do without either of these. :v:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Oh my god one of the guys who sits near me REEKS of cigarettes and B.O. I walked into our unfortunately enclosed office and the smell was absolutely overpowering. :barf:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Sometimes I wish we could force all our staff to take reading comprehension classes... Or at least force people to actually read the entire email instead of scanning and picking out words.

A couple of debit card networks are having issues communicating with our card processor. The side effect of which is making certain debit cards not work at our stores when run as Debit. It throws a very specific error message that doesn't come up under any other circumstance with this occurs. If they just run the card as credit, it works.

I wrote a simple 3 sentence long email about it.. It says if you get this specific error message and only that error message, run the card as credit. Everything else business as usual.

Not 5 minutes after sending that email, I received 2 calls because they received the standard Card Declined message and wanted to know what to do. READ THE loving EMAIL COMPLETELY (I wish I could say that)

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Partycat posted:

I live in NW Minnesota, and one of the local weathermen actually warns people not to try to shovel certain snowfalls. He calls them "Heart-Attack" snows.

They're a unique combination of large accumulations of extremely wet snow. Because it's wet, there's very little air between the flakes (air being what makes snow fluffy), so shoveling it is like having a 5 gallon bucket or two full of water at the end of a stick. The leverage needed to heave it around puts serious amount of strain on the body.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

stevewm posted:

Sometimes I wish we could force all our staff to take reading comprehension classes... Or at least force people to actually read the entire email instead of scanning and picking out words.

A couple of debit card networks are having issues communicating with our card processor. The side effect of which is making certain debit cards not work at our stores when run as Debit. It throws a very specific error message that doesn't come up under any other circumstance with this occurs. If they just run the card as credit, it works.

I wrote a simple 3 sentence long email about it.. It says if you get this specific error message and only that error message, run the card as credit. Everything else business as usual.

Not 5 minutes after sending that email, I received 2 calls because they received the standard Card Declined message and wanted to know what to do. READ THE loving EMAIL COMPLETELY (I wish I could say that)

Hi,

Please see the email I sent earlier about this issue.

Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Hi,

Please see the email I sent earlier about this issue.

Thanks!

I don't see that in my inbox, can you resend??

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I always attach the email too. Though we did have issues with this when we were sending email attachments to people still on lotus notes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

I used to buy cheap maxwell house from Costco (PBUC) and drown it with sugar to not care about the taste.

Eventually my wife (rightfully) got on my case about it tasting bad and the sugar I have with it so we invested in a decent drip coffee maker from Ninja and a pretty decent small grinder... Also from Costco. We now get Peet's coffee and grind it fresh, and it is such god damned good coffee now. Don't underestimate small changes.

Pissing me off today: no communications programs work (Skype, outlook, etc) but the ticketing system does.. And sends updates via email.

On one hand I'm pissed that multiple people like myself can't email or IM, but it is rather quiet and peaceful to work the work that I can do without either of these. :v:

The best coffee is the coffee you roast yourself and then make with a French press. Anything else is stale garbage.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I've usually just forwarded the old email so it's harder for them to miss.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've usually just forwarded the old email so it's harder for them to miss.

And cc their superior

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I replied once to a scam UPS invoice.exe email that came to a mailing list across departments for a non-IT related function.

3 minutes after it came in I sent mail back saying fairly specifically, "Do not click on this, it is fake or malware (virus). Just delete the email. If you have already tried to open this or have clicked on this, please contact your IT support persons or call the help desk immediately".

I got dozens of replies of "Who is my computer person", "It didn't open am I ok?", "Who sent me this I didn't ask for it" it was the worst poo poo all day.

The people that I knew that .... I know them , and their support persons since we work together, still asking me who their support person was.... I just gave up. People read email they just don't "read" email.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off: I am not my coworker.

Apparently he was working an issue with a customer of his and gave the engineer his cell phone. Well apparently the engineer gave my coworker’s number to their offshore team who then happily put it into the noc’s run book.

Got an issue? Call [coworker].

Ec2 instance mysteriously rebooted? Call [coworker] for an RCA.

Can’t find your car keys? Call [coworker].

Need the needful done? Call [coworker].

It’s only Tuesday and he has been getting crushed all night since last Friday and he’s trying to get their management to get his cellphone number pulled from all documents, but Pandora’s box cannot be easily resealed.

I helpfully suggested getting a new number. :D

Handing out your cell phone number? Not even once.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Or hand out a burner google voice number.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Partycat posted:

I replied once to a scam UPS invoice.exe email that came to a mailing list across departments for a non-IT related function.

3 minutes after it came in I sent mail back saying fairly specifically, "Do not click on this, it is fake or malware (virus). Just delete the email. If you have already tried to open this or have clicked on this, please contact your IT support persons or call the help desk immediately".

I got dozens of replies of "Who is my computer person", "It didn't open am I ok?", "Who sent me this I didn't ask for it" it was the worst poo poo all day.

The people that I knew that .... I know them , and their support persons since we work together, still asking me who their support person was.... I just gave up. People read email they just don't "read" email.

Can't you just delete the email from exchange / force their outlook to delete this email?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: I am not my coworker.

Apparently he was working an issue with a customer of his and gave the engineer his cell phone. Well apparently the engineer gave my coworker’s number to their offshore team who then happily put it into the noc’s run book.

Got an issue? Call [coworker].

Ec2 instance mysteriously rebooted? Call [coworker] for an RCA.

Can’t find your car keys? Call [coworker].

Need the needful done? Call [coworker].

It’s only Tuesday and he has been getting crushed all night since last Friday and he’s trying to get their management to get his cellphone number pulled from all documents, but Pandora’s box cannot be easily resealed.

I helpfully suggested getting a new number. :D

Handing out your cell phone number? Not even once.

I would immediately block all the numbers except the one person that is supposed to call me.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am just a lowly telephone man , I have no such abilities (regarding email erasure)

Partycat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 8, 2019

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My AWS interviewer didn’t show for our scheduled interview today so that was cool. I waited 15 minutes before emailing the scheduling person.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ratbert90 posted:

Or hand out a burner google voice number.

Yup. My GV number is all anyone associated with my job knows and it has call screening enabled for all unknown callers.

My actual real cell number is known by my best friend, my girlfriend, and my immediate family.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My deskphone forwards to my cell during business hours so I just tell people to call that number. Otherwise they can e-mail me or send me a message on teams, both are on my phone and easy to ignore if it's not important.

If it is important I get automated alerts before anyone else notices.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

DelphiAegis posted:

Oh, it's not the quality of the coffee that is the problem (although the quality is crap - free coffee in the breakroom usually is).

The problem is the lack of coffee in the pots.

On days that I work in the office (which are as few and far between as I can make them) I am the first in the office, and I start a pot as I pass through the breakroom on the way to my desk.

15 minutes later, on my way back from the time clock, I stop in the breakroom and fill my coffee cup. Then I move the partial pot to the second burner and start a new pot of coffee.

When I take my break, invariably I will find both pots almost empty, with about a quarter inch of brown sludge slowly burning away in the bottom of them. So I rinse the pots, get one brewing, go to the restroom, and visit the vending machine. Then I fill my coffee cup, move the partial to the second burner, and start a new pot.

Same thing when I break for lunch - quarter inch of brown sludge in the bottom of the pots. I make two more pots of coffee. I have no idea what the coffee situation is after that - don't drink it after lunch.

I have no idea how they manage on the days I work from home.

It's not hard to make a pot of coffee - especially here. We have the pre-measured foil packs. Put a filter in the strainer, tear a corner off the pack, pour into filter, insert in machine, and press brew.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRINK IT, LEARN TO MAKE IT!

Fake edit - One of the joys of working at home is that I get to make my own fresh ground coffee. The Highlander Grogg from Boston Stoker https://bostonstoker.com/ is the best Grogg in the world. I'll fight you.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Sounds like you need to stop making coffee for everyone else and let the place burn to the ground due to lack of caffeine. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I once plugged an adtran router into a PDU that was 220, the adtran didn't auto switch 110/220 like I thought everything did. It burned up instantly. I knocked out the plug with something ( I forget what) and casually packed it back in and started to leave. The client basically stood there mouth agape.

What was I going to say or do to fix it?
"THE ARISTOCRATS!"