Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So is the military openly ignoring him in favor of the Kurds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jaxyon posted:

Wait what now

The President refused to listen to the Joint Chiefs when they begged to be allowed to nuke something every couple weeks.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Newsweek posted:

One of the main issues in the phone call between the two world leaders concerned the roughly 2,000 Islamic State militant prisoners being held by the Kurdish-dominated Syrian Defense Forces in northeastern Syria, who the U.S. military assists financially.

Trump told Erdogan he did not want anything to do with ISIS prisoners despite the United States not currently detaining Islamic State prisoners in Syria. The Syrian Defense Forces control custody of the prisoners.

Erdogan said Turkey would take custody of the ISIS militant prisoners, according to the White House statement and the National Security Council official Newsweek spoke to for this story.

The only way this makes sense is if Trump genuinely believes that we hold the ISIS prisoners, because what would actually have to happen for Turkey to take control of them would be for SDF to hand them over to a literally mortal enemy.

Edit:
I absolutely love it that the military is feeling increasingly comfortable ignoring the President. This is a very good omen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Magugu posted:

Moving the goalpost?

"The fake news took my perfect statement and made it into something its not" will be the new talking point.

It's not moving the goalposts.

The trick is really just them pretending what will probably happen isn't going to happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The only way this makes sense is if Trump genuinely believes that we hold the ISIS prisoners, because what would actually have to happen for Turkey to take control of them would be for SDF to hand them over to a literally mortal enemy.

whats worse is turkey would almost certainly let them good because erdogan loves Wahhabi psychos.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

So is the military openly ignoring him in favor of the Kurds?

I mean, apparently not, since Turkey started bombing already.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Somebody once told me Turkey's gonna roll me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I mean, apparently not, since Turkey started bombing already.

At border crossings. I don’t know how close Turkey is to actually moving troops across the border. They were caught flat footed after all.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Erdogan spokesman says that the Turkish mission is to correct the demographics in northern Syria

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OctaMurk posted:

Erdogan spokesman says that the Turkish mission is to correct the demographics in northern Syria

Ya that means genocide.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

That's just about the most chilling statement imaginable.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sorkining in action

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1181279940001636353

https://mobile.twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1181286338022313987

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Jesus Christ. Is there context for this which isn't Murdertime?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1181291010154024961?s=20
https://twitter.com/L0gg0l/status/1181293252873523200?s=20
https://twitter.com/DavidADaoud/status/1181293949329268736?s=20

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OctaMurk posted:

Source??

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Keep in mind we won’t have accurate reporting for a day or two.

https://twitter.com/ccwoolf/status/1181296426883661826?s=21

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how do kurdish forces size up against turkish forces?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How likely is it that remaining ISIS takes advantage of this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

skylined! posted:

Keep in mind we won’t have accurate reporting for a day or two.

https://twitter.com/ccwoolf/status/1181296426883661826?s=21

So what the hell does that mean?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

They are fewer in number, less equipped, and less trained. It would be surprising if they lasted a month.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

abelwingnut posted:

Imagine Texas going to war with Rhode Island.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus Christ. Is there context for this which isn't Murdertime?

A census perhaps? But they aren't doing a census

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

pretty likely, erdogan gave isis abunch of tacist support and such and will probably end up let letting the prisoners escape and create new cells and such.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know why you were all distracted by Trumps idiocy in Syria the House subpoenad a bunch of government entities.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThanosWasRight posted:

You know why you were all distracted by Trumps idiocy in Syria the House subpoenad a bunch of government entities.

cool. links please.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Well seeing that either the captured ISIS combats can have one of the following happen:
A.) be executed - which will then inspire more ISIS to take revenge

B.) be released, and will form new ISIS cells to continue their attacks

No one is going to want to continue to hold them prisoner if there’s no reason to with the US pulling out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool. links please.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/politics/democrats-subpoena-pentagon-omb-impeachment/index.html

quote:

House Democrats on Monday expanded their impeachment inquiry with subpoenas to the Pentagon and Office of Management and Budget tied to the freezing of foreign aid to Ukraine.

The newest subpoenas broaden the House's impeachment investigation into President Donald Trump's interactions with Ukraine into new corners of the federal government. They follow subpoenas that have already been issued to the State Department and White House, as well as the President's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, as Democrats seek to rapidly gather information as they consider whether to impeach the President.

The committees have also requested information from Vice President Mike Pence as part of the probe.

The subpoenas to the Pentagon and OMB are related to the decision to hold up foreign aid to Ukraine, which came at the same time that Giuliani and Trump were pushing for Ukraine to launch an investigation into the 2016 US election, then-Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden. There is no evidence of wrongdoing in relation to Ukraine by the Bidens.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Sounds like Erdogan is a fan of The Shining.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
General strike or bust y'all. The system is just not going to save itself from the problems the system has created.

In the meantime the concentration camps are open and growing, the US is increasingly isolated in the world, an armed/militaristic domestic faction is advocating for open political violence, and our president is beholden to hostile foreign powers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well thats good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Goddamn does "Turkey will correct the demographics" sound like a pretty loving blatant way of saying genocide :stare:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gone, Gone,
The form of Man.
Rise the Demon
Erdogan

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

skylined! posted:

Seems like they’re blowing up supply lines and escape routes.

Ya they’re cornering them to make the genocide easier.

https://twitter.com/vitalistint/status/1181299683563581445?s=21

skylined! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 7, 2019

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThanosWasRight posted:

The cunning strategy of distracting everyone from all your crimes by making GBS threads your pants while committing more crimes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Goddamn does "Turkey will correct the demographics" sound like a pretty loving blatant way of saying genocide :stare:

they never got fully called out for their various ethnic cleansings and genocides during the young turks era.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, I don't see any other reading other than genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

empty whippet box posted:

The cunning strategy of distracting everyone from all your crimes by making GBS threads your pants while committing more crimes.

worked well enough for Ted Nugent :shrug: