Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

oliwan posted:

The Guardian:

(this is about extinction rebellion protests)

I mean I was onboard with saving the environment until a flood destroyed my basement and now I loving hate the bastard environment and I just spend my days burning tires to get revenge on it. Maybe if Mother Nature was nicer to people we’d actually be motivated to save her :colbert:. - Guardian Prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

The Guardian:

(this is about extinction rebellion protests)

XR is a met inside job but this is also pretty lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

jBrereton posted:

XR is a met inside job but this is also pretty lol.

I do like how to goons every protest is just a gov psych op.

no true protest

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

CharlestheHammer posted:

no true protest

Historically, police in most countries were always keen to have either informants or undercovers amongst protest movements of a certain cize. The UK in particular had a couple of pretty high-profile incidents, where it came out that they used undercover cops to penetrate various "left" movements and stir things up. (And knock up fellow activists on the way.) And that's not even going into what UK law enforcement is willing to do if it's properly motivated (*cough* Ireland *cough*).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Randler posted:

Historically, police in most countries were always keen to have either informants or undercovers amongst protest movements of a certain cize. The UK in particular had a couple of pretty high-profile incidents, where it came out that they used undercover cops to penetrate various "left" movements and stir things up. (And knock up fellow activists on the way.) And that's not even going into what UK law enforcement is willing to do if it's properly motivated (*cough* Ireland *cough*).

well yeah but I think saying that govs having insiders is a bit different than it being astroturfed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

no true protest
They explicitly encourage people to get arrested and indeed send letters to the police informing on themselves and those around them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CharlestheHammer posted:

no true protest

https://twitter.com/erkanallesffm/s...ingawful.com%2F

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

yikes

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

no true protest

you think the country with cameras everywhere and ads saying to narc on your neighbours posted everywhere, would allow an actual protest? lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Private Speech posted:

Humm. I really don't know. It's possible the more conservative parts over-exaggerate their influence. The only US quakers I've met were a couple from new york who seemed quite happy with the very leftist slant of the meetings.

But then just, say, wikipedia, says that almost half of quakers worldwide are either evangelical or conservative.

And to go back to the original tweeter I don't think most quakers I know would call for fighting alongside the Kurds.

I think its less "fight alongside the Kurds" and more "if people just up and leave right now, Turkey is going to do a mass murder on Kurds... again"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay Google, Define Brexit.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Squizzle posted:

youll need 2 witnesses tho!!

yourself and your spouse, that counts :twisted:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Morter posted:

Okay Google, Define Brexit.

I've done that before, about 4 months ago, I stuck this thread into a pattern recognition/predictor program I wrote and after a few hours it spat out an endless string of "The EU, the EU, the EU, brexit, The EU, the EU, brexit, brexit. Brexit. The EU." in varied forms.

That was a.. mistake.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was at Potsdamer Platz today where XR protesters shut down the whole intersection and square for the whole day, causing traffic chaos in all of Berlin. Thanks police I guess?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

This thread is real bad btw, the centrist author is literally accusing XR of being a nihilist sect (duh), and then likening them to ghandhi who akshually was not non-violent either. lol, shut the gently caress up liberal.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

oliwan posted:

I was at Potsdamer Platz today where XR protesters shut down the whole intersection and square for the whole day, causing traffic chaos in all of Berlin. Thanks police I guess?

I've been at a couple of protests in Berlin, pro-immigrant things, your cops are generally okay about it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Fried Watermelon posted:

you think the country with cameras everywhere and ads saying to narc on your neighbours posted everywhere, would allow an actual protest? lol

interested in what an “actual” protest is if not literally over a million people marching in the streets of London

maybe the city secretly had two million cops watching them or infiltrated them with 500,000 cops.oh no but there were cameras filming them you see, very not a real protest

mate this month American cops pranced across a picket line to beat up peaceful protesters on camera and it barely made local news

Calico Heart has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Oct 8, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the sole country with cameras everywhere

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Remember America and their "free speech zones" loving lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is XR good or bad?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is XR good or bad?

Boris just gave you the answer in the post above yours op.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cant spell brexit w/o xr

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

beit

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

please deploy heaving hemp-filled bivouacs around the nation and, indeed, the world

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Is XR good or bad?

Good. Never think that if you hear in the press "hey this protest movement has a bunch of idiots in it" it's honest. Of course there's a load of idiots involved, people are generally not all that smart, that's life (I include myself in that group). It's a plain smear. If you couldn't have some idiots involved in any protest movement, you'd never be able to do one.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Grape posted:

I think its less "fight alongside the Kurds" and more "if people just up and leave right now, Turkey is going to do a mass murder on Kurds... again"

I did think about that, as well as more broadly the role of military peacekeepers. At the same time the US troops there are very much not of the peacekeeping variety, but I can see the moral argument. Really I was just surprised how keen she was in the tweets, including some where she's literally calling for, well, militarily supporting 'our allies' (meaning kurds specifically).

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hey boris, get this: you're a heaving bivouac

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Boris reminds me of Spiro Agnew and his "nattering nabobs of negativism"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
According to the Sunday Times of London, [Elton] John recounted attending a royal party some years ago in which he watched the Queen ask Princess Margaret’s son, Viscount Linley, to check in on Linley’s sister, who had taken ill. Apparently, Linley didn’t want to do that, so the Queen showed him who was boss.

Per Sir Elton’s recollection:

“When he [Linley] repeatedly tried to fob her off, the Queen lightly slapped him across the face, saying ‘Don’t’ – slap – ‘argue’ – slap – ‘with’ – slap – ‘me’ – slap – ‘I’ – slap – ‘am’ – slap – ‘THE QUEEN!’”

Then, John said, the Queen winked at him when Linley walked away. “I know the Queen’s public image isn’t exactly one of wild frivolity, but . . . in private she could be hilarious,” he wrote, according to the Sunday Times.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
bivouaxit

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey I'm sorry to just bust in here like this, but I just saw this and feel like I need an explanation?

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/institutional-49954778

EDIT: ok I read all about it, sorry, it popped up in my Google feed and could not figure out what the gently caress was going on

30.5 Days has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Oct 8, 2019

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Hey I'm sorry to just bust in here like this, but I just saw this and feel like I need an explanation?

It’s a pretty straightforward article, which part of it is unclear to you?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A: Knock knock

B: who's there

A: brexit

B: brexitwho

A: ah gently caress you just had to ask

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Private Speech posted:

I did think about that, as well as more broadly the role of military peacekeepers. At the same time the US troops there are very much not of the peacekeeping variety, but I can see the moral argument. Really I was just surprised how keen she was in the tweets, including some where she's literally calling for, well, militarily supporting 'our allies' (meaning kurds specifically).

Hillary Clinton's never been shy about using the military. She supported the bombing of Yugoslavia, voted in favour of the invasion of Iraq, favoured arming Syrian rebels and airstrikes on Syrian air bases and supported NATO-led intervention in Libya.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

30.5 Days posted:

EDIT: ok I read all about it, sorry, it popped up in my Google feed and could not figure out what the gently caress was going on

Its BBC news in (I think) West African pidgin english.

There's a similar scottish thing for example:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17627295.we-maun-keep-oor-ain-side-civil-fir-indyref2/

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that pidgin world service news is exactly what the bbc should be spending its money on, rather than that strictly shite (which itv is basically set up for)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is XR good or bad?

The members are good, the organisation itself is incredibly naive and so invested in turning over their members to the police that its suspicious tbh.

Maybe the cops got bored of infiltrating green peace and ran out of lefty young activists to impregnate so decided to start their own

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Siri, how hosed is Brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Avirosb posted:

Siri, how hosed is Brexit?

It is Not hosed, it is Great Britain Finally regaining its glory britain will rule the waves once more!