Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Brave New World posted:

America has betrayed and abandoned the Kurds*. Those that remain alive will remember this.

*Again.

Christ, what a lovely snipe. Here, have a picture of Masha and Bear, my kittens, being v sleepy on my office chair.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump hasn’t made a tweet in 5 hours now since his Great and unmatched Wisdom tweet. Wonder what he’s been up to.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

Idk, this is a repeat of 2018, except without the last minute reversal (which happened because of the universal backlash). He must’ve known this would be a big deal.

He didn't even remember that Baron was his child

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump hasn’t made a tweet in 5 hours now since his Great and unmatched Wisdom tweet. Wonder what he’s been up to.

He's in time-out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I dont think he expected it to cause a crisis, he probably thought everyone would be happy that he pulled out the US soldiers. He doesn't care enough to read the reports or listen to advice about why it end up badly, I mean he is the great and wise Trump, so if his advisors say something he disagrees with, then they're just dumb and confused. He doesn't seem to have the capability to accept that the world is more complicated than the tiny portion of it he cares enough to comprehend

Listen to the way he tries to justify it too, he's all like "Yeah we're gonna pull out, this will mean we get to SAVE MONEY because now Turkey has to deal with the ISIS fighters that we otherwise had to house OURSELVES for $$$$!!!"

He thinks everyone will congratulate him for being Responsible With Money. Because that's all this is to him, something the US is doing that he doesn't see any reason for the US to do (because nobody can explain it to him in a way that sticks). So he does the only thing he knows how to do, which is stop writing checks

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

This has really been a rollercoaster. For most of the day it's been the usual bemusement at this idiot at the controls, and then excitement at the fact that he's getting flak from literally everybody this time around. The Great Mattering, as it were.

But now I'm just pissed. This isn't funny anymore. Get this guy the hell out of office before it's too late. Or at least... before it gets even worse.

It's already too late. Thousands of Kurds will die, possibly hundreds of thousands. A stalwart regional US ally and a people and culture that were actually trying to promote real progressive change in the Middle East wiped out and subjected to horror

Hundreds to thousands will die in Hong Kong when the Chinese government decides to completely crack down, when no attempt by the US is made to force a peaceful resolution

This President is the Mad King, and before this is over he will attempt to rule over the ashes

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 7, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Velocity Raptor posted:

He's in time-out.

:tinfoil: Barracks coup? :tinfoil:

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir Lemming posted:

This has really been a rollercoaster. For most of the day it's been the usual bemusement at this idiot at the controls, and then excitement at the fact that he's getting flak from literally everybody this time around. The Great Mattering, as it were.

But now I'm just pissed. This isn't funny anymore. Get this guy the hell out of office before it's too late. Or at least... before it gets even worse.

Edit: I know that's a very privileged way to feel. I realize it hasn't been "funny" for a lot of people a lot of the time. I'm talking more about the foreign policy side of things, which has largely been a friggin' dump truck full of red flags, but not quite such tangible, catastrophic consequences.

Wait until he actually launches nukes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Seriously, this is the level of discourse and analysis Trump is capable of

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1181306217366507520

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I would bet an insane amount of money that in the transcript of the erdogan call, erdogan will say to trump 'in your great and unmatched wisdom'

Flip Yr Wig posted:

:tinfoil: Barracks coup? :tinfoil:

tbh if the military just picked him up today and told congress and pence to find a replacement, they probably could get away with it within the next 12 hours.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I assume hes been locked in a room with 50 people who are trying every loving trick they can think of to get him to stop this dumbassery with a formal order before it's irreversible and/or preventing a more formal order than hes already given that will force the last few strings keeping erdogans dogs on their leashes to give up their efforts to hold this thing back.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

ThanosWasRight posted:

Wait until he actually launches nukes.

I wish I could believe that this was impossible.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

It's already too late. Thousands of Kurds will die, possibly hundreds of thousands. A stalwart regional US ally and a people and culture that were actually trying to promote real progressive change in the Middle East wiped out and subjected to horror

Hundreds to thousands will die in Hong Kong when the Chinese government decides to completely crack down, when no attempt by the US is made to force a resolution

This President is the Mad King, and before this over he will attempt to rule over the ashes

take solace in the knowledge they were absolutely going to be killed no matter who the president was, because their continued existence has grown inconvenient to US foreign policy, and we have precisely one playbook for this kind of thing.

at least this time we're not actively handing Saddam the chemical weapons to gas them with. progress is being made.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know what is the better option right now. That they convince him to reverse. Or that he continues.

Reversing it...will stop a potential genocide and protect Rojava and the Kurds who have always been a very important ally and are a very cool people group overall.

But it will also mend fences with all his bootlickers, the GOP and the rest of the public.

Not reversing it will further the rift that is now opening between him and the GOP and lead him further towards potential removal. It comes with a heavy price tag of thousands of lives. But the question is if he is removed or stopped will that prevent some other event that could have caused more deaths had he not been stopped sooner?

I guess I'm going to err on the side of safety and hope the order is reversed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who types out legal letters in comic sans.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1181299742980132870?s=20

The full picture is even better

https://mobile.twitter.com/KagroX/status/1181227427969806338

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Trump using nukes would be us waking up to find he nuked the North Pole to fight climate change.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ThanosWasRight posted:

I don't know what is the better option right now. That they convince him to reverse. Or that he continues.

Reversing it...will stop a potential genocide and protect Rojava and the Kurds who have always been a very important ally and are a very cool people group overall.

But it will also mend fences with all his bootlickers, the GOP and the rest of the public.

Not reversing it will further the rift that is now opening between him and the GOP and lead him further towards potential removal. It comes with a heavy price tag of thousands of lives. But the question is if he is removed or stopped will that prevent some other event that could have caused more deaths had he not been stopped sooner?

Reverse it full stop

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

take solace in the knowledge they were absolutely going to be killed no matter who the president was, because their continued existence has grown inconvenient to US foreign policy, and we have precisely one playbook for this kind of thing.

at least this time we're not actively handing Saddam the chemical weapons to gas them with. progress is being made.

Well, the thing here is that they were still convenient to US foreign policy, hence literally every member of the establishment screaming that this is a bad idea. This isn't even a cynical betrayal for the sake of capital; it's an impulse decision.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1181306832733839360

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cool poo poo. its gonna get so much worse.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rabble posted:

I wish I could believe that this was impossible.

There's a greater-than-zero chance that the JCS, STRATCOM commanders, etc, have a secret understanding that they will not launch a first strike, particularly if a President is clearly donkey-brained.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Majorian posted:

There's a greater-than-zero chance that the JCS, STRATCOM commanders, etc, have a secret understanding that they will not launch a first strike, particularly if a President is clearly donkey-brained.

That’s rumored to have been the case with late stage Nixon.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Baby is taking his toys and going home.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Trump only siding with himself has always been his MO

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reverse it full stop

Duh, this is not even a question, all the idiot Rs won't turn on him even if he does this, and even if they did trading a genocide for that outcome is beyond disgusting to even contemplate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Fuming~

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1181306171417939970

Call the cyber police

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Duh, this is not even a question, all the idiot Rs won't turn on him even if he does this, and even if they did trading a genocide for that outcome is beyond disgusting to even contemplate.

ehh. not fully. Some Rs will turn on him because of this. not all because ghouls but a bunch. also the pentagon/IC/etc/probably spec ops.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

watchdogs is real and my friend.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1181309586768310277

:cripes:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ThanosWasRight posted:

I don't loving care if this hurts him. Thousands will die if we don't abruptly shut this down. Let the demented lunatic take his loving pats on the back for changing his mind

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cool, he is actually doing it. stupid fucker.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

He unironically believes that people just wipe each other out sometimes, that's just that natural order, whaddayagonnado

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah, okay, we're in a movie now. Who can get us out of the Last Action Hero universe?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the House ever plan on doing anything to start compelling these people to show up or hand things over

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ThanosWasRight posted:

You know why you were all distracted by Trumps idiocy in Syria the House subpoenad a bunch of government entities.

Good thing you came in here to poo poo on people for caring for the lives of others without even bothering to post links to the news you think is so important.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

I hate this man. I guarantee he’s quoting Erdogan when he says “natural enemy”.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well, the thing here is that they were still convenient to US foreign policy, hence literally every member of the establishment screaming that this is a bad idea. This isn't even a cynical betrayal for the sake of capital; it's an impulse decision.

the choice between "potentially antagonize our good friend turkey" and "guarantee the deaths of the poor dumb fuckers who trusted us" is not a complex one. this was going to happen eventually. it didn't have to happen this fast, this chaotic, or this incompetently, but it was going to happen, barring a COMPLETE change in conditions on the ground in Syria.

this is the bill coming due a little ahead of schedule, but sooner or later the Kurds were going to pay the price for thinking we'd reward our friends.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181249853801877508

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s rumored to have been the case with late stage Nixon.

Indeed, which is a comforting thought. It would obviously be even more comforting (and better for geopolitics) if the U.S. formally adopted a "no first use" policy, or for it to require Congressional approval, but welp, that's not the world we live in right now, unfortunately.