Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
But like, what if plaintiff is an invalid who can't speak for themselves?

What if the defendant doesn't speak English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Then I guess their guardian speaks for them or they get an interpreter.

I dunno, man. I'm not a CA lawyer, I just go off what local counsel tells me.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
VA does this as well

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
That seems insane to me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

But like, what if plaintiff is an invalid who can't speak for themselves?

What if the defendant doesn't speak English?

Anyone who isn't a lawyer can basically speak for them.
The whole idea is too keep lawyers out so it is a more even playing field.
Note you can remove a case to superior court or have a trial de novo if you want, so it really isn't that a big a deal. However, for easy claims, even otherwise represented parties like it because it keeps bills way way down.
Also, most people fail to appear.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
What happens if the plaintiff or defendant is themselves a lawyer

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Volmarias posted:

Shock collar with a microphone. The collar goes off if it hears Latin, a word with more than three syllables, or a word that is in Black's Law Dictionary but not in Merriam-Webster's School Dictionary.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Volmarias posted:

then they have a fool for a client

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alchenar posted:

then they have a fool for a client

When do they not though? :thunk:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Volmarias posted:

I did it when I got hit by a car I won. Lawyers pro se are the only exception.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

Anyone who isn't a lawyer can basically speak for them.

You say that like I could get Jack Thompson to speak for me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Meth House reminds me of a scene in Breaking Bad where Saul Goodman buys a house for 1/3rd the asking price because he knows the sellers haven't disclosed that it had a meth lab in the basement. He describes it as fraud, covering up a felony, implying they could be in legal trouble if they don't accept his lowball offer. Are Saul's negotiating tactics legal, or is it extortion?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chamale posted:

Are Saul's negotiating tactics legal

This is a serious question in the serious legal questions thread.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Meth House reminds me of a scene in Breaking Bad where Saul Goodman buys a house for 1/3rd the asking price because he knows the sellers haven't disclosed that it had a meth lab in the basement. He describes it as fraud, covering up a felony, implying they could be in legal trouble if they don't accept his lowball offer. Are Saul's negotiating tactics legal, or is it extortion?

Was the house in fact a meth house that wasn't disclosed on the seller's disclosure? When I sold my house last year, I had to state, several times, that there hadn't been a meth lab inside the house. I mean, I can understand why they would think so, given how messy our house generally is, but still.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sullat posted:

Was the house in fact a meth house that wasn't disclosed on the seller's disclosure?

Yes.

Saul knows this because his client, the sellers’ son, made meth there.

But, while IANAL, as I understand it “give me what I want or I will report you for very real crimes” is still extortion and can be illegal.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 8, 2019

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

More info from the situation (if it matters, and based on the responses I see what you guys are saying from a small claims standpoint and it makes sense- my sister lives in Denver and flew out for this and the house was in Los Angeles. We live in the Bay Area, so I'm assuming we'd have to file in HIS county, not ours,or at least provide a compelling reason (from what I can discern online) as to why it makes sense to do it here).

The guy in question is friends with the owner apparently. He lives in that back addition with the hidden door full time. This was discussed during the questioning by the police and I didn't get the full details of the convo from my sister until I talked to her late last night. I got most of the info from my fiancee who arrived after the cops had already been there for a little while.

Last night (after I posted my OP) the landlord sent this text to the MoH:

I'm not going to be making the final call on this situation obviously, I just told them I'd try to get a grip on what their options are (read: outsource it to smarter people that know more about this i.e. all of you) and try to present them with the best course of action. I tend to be the de facto 'writer of letters' since I've had success contacting Comcast/Dish Network/DirecTV/AT&T etc when there have been issues for all families and friends and gotten pretty good results with a small amount of time invested. Being a former english major isn't the worst thing- it's amazing what a semi-coherent, semi-literate message sent to the right people can accomplish.

It seems that's the best course of action, to AirBNB specifically.

I was just in total protective brother/fiancee mode after considering that A) the guy in the hidden room likely went into the house when the women weren't there and who the gently caress knows what he did (the first night, Thursday, there were lights on in rooms that they swore they left off before going to dinner- something they chalked up to nothing at first then thought about again after the incident) and B) may or may not have had cameras in the house because the girls were moved to a new place off the radar at the very last second after being told there would be 6 girls there.

With regards to the text sent from the landlord, I told the MoH not to respond. I don't know but I'm assuming that if she asks for money as a form of 'compensation' directly through him (as opposed to routing it through AirBNB) he'd then be able to turn around to AirBNB and claim that she was extorting him by threatening to leave a negative review if he didn't pay her off. Also, none of the girls (my sister included) want his money. They just want to try and punish him legally if possible, but at a minimum through AirBNB. If there were damages awarded legally, cool. But they all were in agreement that they didn't want hush money for the sake of not leaving a negative review.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 8, 2019

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

What would the ideal resolution of this situation look like to you/them? He wouldn't be able to be an AirBNB host ever again?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 8, 2019

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

What would the ideal resolution of this situation look like to you/them? He wouldn't be able to be an AirBNB host ever again?

I'm not sure how it works with AirBNB but I think they'd like to be able to have him suspended if possible, similar to an Uber driver situation. Or some sort of AirBNB review.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Remember that Airbnb is not the only place where you can put a house up for short term rent. Do you want to chase up every place he could list his properties?

Unrelated, but a while back I went past a lawyers office that was named after I presume the two main partners, and it, the footpath, the lamp posts were absolutely plastered with flyers and hand made posters saying "Partner name #1 LIES to clients, withholds evidence from Court, etc."
Sounds like somebody has a real bone to pick with that lawyer... Isn't appealing to the Bar the way that sort of issue should be handled?

Anyone else seen that sort of thing from disgruntled clients?

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

Do you want to chase up every place he could list his properties?

No, just the one that matters the most.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

TheKevman posted:

I'm not sure how it works with AirBNB but I think they'd like to be able to have him suspended if possible, similar to an Uber driver situation. Or some sort of AirBNB review.

I’m not sure how AirBnB refunds work but it’s possible it’s treated as a settlement with a confidentiality/non-disparagement provision. So you may have to choose between money or the satisfaction of leaving a bad review.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Take the drat money!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I think it is technically blackmail, but I'm sure that the Lawyer's rules of ethics prohibit any lawyer from "threatening criminal prosecution to gain an advantage in a civil matter." so while its probably a crime, its definitely something he could get disbarred over.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

IANAL but you should probably all sit down and cool off a little and think about how much more of your lives you want to spend dealing with this dude and his weird friend. I understand that you're pissed off about this, but is the solution you want to force yourselves to spend even more time and effort on this guy? If you pursue it legally, you're absolutely going to have to spend more of your time thinking about him, dealing with it all, and you won't get to move on for X amount of time. Sometimes that's worth it, but if he's already offering compensation up front...? Think really long and hard about that.

I had a rock solid small claim against an old landlord, but I dropped it and walked away because ultimately it was way, way better for me to write that person out of my life as soon as possible, instead of spending time dragging them through small claims and then trying to enforce a judgement against a nutcase that would have taken ages to get through - and the whole time, I'd be stuck dealing with her and all her bullshit. It's one thing when you are talking about serious compensation for damages, etc. but there are times you are better served forgetting about it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why wouldn’t someone want to buy a meth house?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missou...tamines-couple/

Meth is soaked into the walls.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

FrozenVent posted:

It causes some pretty nasty health problems, and it's harder to remediate for than asbestos is.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it makes no sense. meth is expensive, a house of meth should be $$$$$

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it makes no sense. meth is expensive, a house of meth should be $$$$$

You'd never have to sleep again!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
How do inheritance taxes work? I'm sure a few of you are familiar with my horrible ungodly situation ( dad murdered mom). I have a probate attorney for mom's estate and I am using the same guy my Uncle is for Grandma's estate, that mom's estate is a beneficiary of. Now, I understand they way this will go, is the proceeds of grandma's estate will be bequeathed to the estate of my mom and then from mom's estate to my sister and myself. Where or when does the IRS take their cut?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much is the estate

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

How do inheritance taxes work? I'm sure a few of you are familiar with my horrible ungodly situation ( dad murdered mom). I have a probate attorney for mom's estate and I am using the same guy my Uncle is for Grandma's estate, that mom's estate is a beneficiary of. Now, I understand they way this will go, is the proceeds of grandma's estate will be bequeathed to the estate of my mom and then from mom's estate to my sister and myself. Where or when does the IRS take their cut?

unless it's many millions of dollars, there's no tax at all

welcome to america

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Grandma's is probably 7 figures, I really don't know yet, but they were well off. Split 3 ways between mom and my two uncles, then mom's share will split between myself and my sister.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Farking Bastage posted:

How much is the estate and what state are you in? You'll likely have to worry more about state estate taxes than federal.

The exemption for the federal estate tax is $11.4 million for 2019. If it's under that amount, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If it's over, someone would need to see the will and know what the assets are.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Farking Bastage posted:

Grandma's is probably 7 figures, I really don't know yet, but they were well off. Split 3 ways between mom and my two uncles, then mom's share will split between myself and my sister.

Last I checked, she'd need to be 8 figures, but you'll probably want to make sure.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The actual process is that you report the inheritance on your taxes at the end of the year that you received it.

If you normally do your taxes yourself, this year you should shell out the $200 for a CPA to do it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Thanks guys. The estates are in Georgia. I live in Florida.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Farking Bastage posted:

Tax questions thread here, although don't expect much for what could be a very complex issue: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394641

As others have said, if you're anywhere near the exclusion limits, you need to talk to a tax professional (not just H&R Block walk-in or whatever). Your estate attorney should know at least this much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some estates do have to file federal income tax returns even if not eligible for estate tax. It depends on the assets in the estate and whether any of those assets are generating income or losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Some states have estate taxes