Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hallownest is ruined because everyone is becoming Radiance zombies. The king tried to maintain order by sealing the Radiance away with the HK and the three dreamers, but it didn’t really work (witness the Radiance zombies everywhere) so the king gave up and hid himself and his palace in the dream instead, where he apparently died, insofar as things like him can.

“Old” is not a term we can use very well because the game never gives any specifics at all as to time frame. There were things on the site of Hallownest before Hallownest, and some creatures still alive can remember Hallownest before the Radiance started to mess it up, but how long ago that was in absolute terms we have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They're bugs, it was probably like a month ago.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It was long ago enough for things to fall into ruin.

Quirrel is also old enough to have been present when the Dreamers sealed away the original Hollow Knight.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I dunno why but I always got the sense that the dreamers and temple seal happened like, 30 years ago or something, like it wasn't super recent but not in Olden Times either. I am not really sure where I got that sense from though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

30 bug years

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hollow Knight is 1,000s of years old, it just looks 12

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got the sense of time from how many other siblings Nugget has when you go to Birthplace, like thousands of others have spawned and basically died immediately.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bugs, those notoriously slow-to-reproduce creatures

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just want silksong already so i can be the insanely cool character, hornet

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A stag beetle lives for around six years, so the Last Stag who was around at Hallownest's height can't be older than that, if all this is meant to represent real biology.

Of course the human conception of years is pretty much meaningless unless seasons are involved in the setting at all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell,

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Johnny Joestar posted:

same.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*being dragged away from this conversation by the orderlies*

THE FLOW OF TIME IS CONVOLOUTED, CONVOLUTED!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Exactly, the Mantis Lords boss battle makes me feel like I’m dancing on a razor’s edge for an eternity but it’s like a 90 second fight.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There's maybe some weird stuff going on with regards to chronology? For example, when you first encounter Salubra, she says

Salubra posted:

Did the townsfolk out there tell you to come and visit me? Mmm, yes! This is a lovely little village isn't it? Warm and intimate and full of life.

Presumably she's talking about either the buildings just outside her shop, or Dirtmouth, but either way both seem to have been mostly abandoned for a long time. Yet Salubra has no idea.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

There's maybe some weird stuff going on with regards to chronology? For example, when you first encounter Salubra, she says

Presumably she's talking about either the buildings just outside her shop, or Dirtmouth, but either way both seem to have been mostly abandoned for a long time. Yet Salubra has no idea.

Can Salubra even fit out her door

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Finally beat the (base game's) "true" final boss. drat, what a fight, and what a game! 106% completion, 51 hours, and I'm sure I'll be very tempted to go back and complete all the expansion content after I take a break from the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

skasion posted:

Can Salubra even fit out her door

she looks squishy

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
After being stuck here for over a week I have officially decided that Sly is literally impossible to defeat.
At least I got that fancy "100%" achievement.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

After being stuck here for over a week I have officially decided that Sly is literally impossible to defeat.

I beat him with Mark of Pride+Unbreakable Strength+Stalwart Shell and just damage raced him.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've decided to try to do a steel soul run. If I manage to finish, I might consider trying to get to 100% completion on the same file for that achievement. Do you all have any recommendations for which 12% to skip? Do pantheon deaths count as actual deaths as far as a steel soul run is concerned? They don't leave a spirit, so I kind of assume not, but I'd rather confirm that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

VictualSquid posted:

Have you practiced him in the pantheon? He's got fewer patterns than most bosses and if you can handle zote I know you can handle sly!

The game's best boss fight is irritatingly locked behond pantheon 3.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

No Wave posted:

that boss is really hard. Theres not a lot of advice for them, just learn to bounce off of them with jump -> slashing downwards if you're not already. But yeah they're tough. Also there's a hidden room before the fight that will let you drop a chandelier on one of them pre-fight so that you fight one fewer, I would recommend taking advantage of that
Sharp Shadow helps a LOT on watcher knights if you have shade cloak, as you can dash through them and deal 1x nail damage even while they're rolling at you

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

skasion posted:

Hallownest is ruined because everyone is becoming Radiance zombies. The king tried to maintain order by sealing the Radiance away with the HK and the three dreamers, but it didn’t really work (witness the Radiance zombies everywhere) so the king gave up and hid himself and his palace in the dream instead, where he apparently died, insofar as things like him can.

“Old” is not a term we can use very well because the game never gives any specifics at all as to time frame. There were things on the site of Hallownest before Hallownest, and some creatures still alive can remember Hallownest before the Radiance started to mess it up, but how long ago that was in absolute terms we have no idea.
I feel like it's one or two generations, so maybe around a century? I dont think its on the order of thousands of years or anything.

We dont know how old hornet is but she was from before the sealing too and seems rather youngish

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I feel like it's one or two generations, so maybe around a century? I dont think its on the order of thousands of years or anything.

We dont know how old hornet is but she was from before the sealing too and seems rather youngish

How long are bug generations though? Some real bugs can live for decades but others live and die in a matter of weeks or days. The game (wisely imo) ignores the whole question. It was a while ago, that’s all we really get.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Plus bugs go through different life stages

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

egg - larva - pupa - GREAT AND TERRIBLE GOD-KING OF SOUL DESTRUCTION

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Zack Ater posted:

I've decided to try to do a steel soul run. If I manage to finish, I might consider trying to get to 100% completion on the same file for that achievement. Do you all have any recommendations for which 12% to skip? Do pantheon deaths count as actual deaths as far as a steel soul run is concerned? They don't leave a spirit, so I kind of assume not, but I'd rather confirm that.

Uh, pantheon deaths definitely leave a spirit, it is always in the small room to the left of the bench instead of in the arena. Presumably to make it easier to get after you die, but it seems to me like a lot of people miss this. So yeah, those deaths would count.

Definitely do as many dream bosses and godhome stuff you are capable of, since dying to those don't actually count as deaths but each one will give you a %, so you can throw yourselves at those as many times as needed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Uh, pantheon deaths definitely leave a spirit, it is always in the small room to the left of the bench instead of in the arena. Presumably to make it easier to get after you die, but it seems to me like a lot of people miss this. So yeah, those deaths would count.
Are you referring to the trials? Pantheon, i.e. Godmaster stuff, doesn't leave a spirit afaik

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Logan 5 posted:

Definitely do as many dream bosses and godhome stuff you are capable of, since dying to those don't actually count as deaths but each one will give you a %, so you can throw yourselves at those as many times as needed.

Pantheon stuff = Godhome.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The Arena fights counting for deaths is why you should be very thankful the DLC added extra % points so you can get the 100% Steel Soul achievement without surviving the Trial of Fools.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Darox posted:

The Arena fights counting for deaths is why you should be very thankful the DLC added extra % points so you can get the 100% Steel Soul achievement without surviving the Trial of Fools.

If you skip trial of the fool on your steel soul run you are a coward

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Not going to lie, when I did Arena of Fools on my Steel Soul Run, I also did it a couple of times on my normal save to ~get loose~ and make sure I was on point

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

If you skip trial of the fool on your steel soul run you are a coward

Not only did I skip them, but I also quit the game and reloaded when the watcher knights were about to flatten me with one mask left.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Not only did I skip them, but I also quit the game and reloaded when the watcher knights were about to flatten me with one mask left.

A well-timed reset is a true warrior's most fearsome weapon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Not only did you cheat the game, you cheated yourself

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Next up: Glass Soul.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Martman posted:

Are you referring to the trials? Pantheon, i.e. Godmaster stuff, doesn't leave a spirit afaik

SirSamVimes posted:

Pantheon stuff = Godhome.

ah yes, sorry not sure what happened to my reading comprehension there.

And writing comprehension, because I even typed "pantheon". :psyduck:

Completely unrelated, but anyone know if there is a way to hide/disable the UI?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been loving this game but I'm worried I may have screwed myself (late-ish game spoilers). I have been playing without a guide for 30ish hours but finally looked this up when I had no idea what to do.

I didn't know you could actually kill the three ancients in the dream realm since they didn't react to getting hit with the nail a couple times. I've already been to all three of their locations and I know I can get back to them easily, but the one in Deepnest was somewhat scripted so I'm wondering if it's possible to get back to the Beast's Lair section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been loving this game but I'm worried I may have screwed myself (late-ish game spoilers). I have been playing without a guide for 30ish hours but finally looked this up when I had no idea what to do.

I didn't know you could actually kill the three ancients in the dream realm since they didn't react to getting hit with the nail a couple times. I've already been to all three of their locations and I know I can get back to them easily, but the one in Deepnest was somewhat scripted so I'm wondering if it's possible to get back to the Beast's Lair section.

It is possible. You enter it like a building, but outside of the vendors that is pretty unique so I understand your concern.