Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I made the game pretty easy mode by sneaking and kidnapping everyone important. Even the super secret final boss can be killed easily this way by doing so and then pulling out their CPU. I want to do less of that on the next playthrough I'm planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, my last run was basically a self imposed "All Shek, no stealth, no ranged" challenge, and it was really fun, if a bit chaotic at times.

Also first time I ended up with 40+ toughness on everyone without specifically training for it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Be aware that the Holy Nation bites a bit harder than you'd expect. Especially if you try to go for the capital.
On that note, is there some way I can cash in on some of my dudes 100k terrorism bounties while I'm KOS to the faction? Maybe with a disguise?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can disguise one of your dudes as another faction that is... friendly or allied to the faction that you want to infiltrate, I think. Dressing up as one of their own doesn't work, because they can tell that you're not actually one of them.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

By the time you've reached that point, you probably don't even need money anymore

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is just so good. I started a new game yet again and this time I decided I would head straight to Squin and as luck has it all the unique recruits who spawn there were there. I had dialed up the bandit spawns a bit, so there's a dust bandit camp just to the east of town. It's been great fun slowly taking the fight to them, picking off one or two at a time and running back to town to heal up. I was super cautious my first few plays through, never going out into combat until I'd already unlocked a bunch of research and done a lot of dummy training. And that was fun, too! But this is a different kind of fun, just as fun as that other kind but different and novel. Instead of a group of identically armoured and armed dudes, I'm just using whatever crap the bandits have dropped against the next set of bandits and I'm loving it. I love this game. I'm so glad someone in C-SPAM mentioned it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
500 hours later, you'll still be wondering how this janky poo poo grabbed you so hard. If you ever get tired of it, check out Mount and Blade and prepare for the same sort of love story.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

litany of gulps posted:

500 hours later, you'll still be wondering how this janky poo poo grabbed you so hard. If you ever get tired of it, check out Mount and Blade and prepare for the same sort of love story.

I keep telling myself I'll eventually do a "full" run of Warband, but I never have the patience to go ahead and conquer the whole map after I've got my own little kingdom carved out. By that point it feels like I've already won and I"m just grinding out the same sorts of fights over and over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As Queen of all Calradia, I’d have to agree with that. Can’t wait to do it again in Bannerlord.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, M&B suffers from that even more than Kenshi does. At least in this game, you can split your attention between multiple squads and do not technically have to pay personal attention to every fight.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You ARE the commander. It’s kind of the whole job.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

As Queen of all Calradia, I’d have to agree with that. Can’t wait to do it again in Bannerlord.

I have always, always, always played a woman in Warband and I will never stop. The only question is whether I start as a noble and go run circles around Sea Raiders on my courser for hours before I get down to the winning tournaments and buying businesses to finance an army, or start as a commoner and play it the way it's meant to be played picking up a few recruits here and there and slowly growing them into an army by fighting bandits and doing quests. Either way, the Calradic Empire usually begins with Narra and the save gets abandoned sometime after I've secured like 3 or 4 towns because the thought of slogging through hundreds of mostly identical combats to become Queen of All Calradia just kills my soul. Even with mods like Diplomacy that vastly improve quality of life, I just can't make myself do it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

You ARE the commander. It’s kind of the whole job.

If only auto-resolve was not complete poo poo. At least in Kenshi, if the battle is a foregone conclusion I can just hype it up to max speed and pan my camera to somewhere else. Warband will have me losing knights to outnumbered bandits. :psyduck:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I still remember how being able to conquer your own kingdom was something that modders cludged into the game out of the "conquer fortresses for your liege lord" mechanic that the game shipped with.

Warband made that a feature of the base game, but you can really still tell that it wasn't really meant for that kind of gameplay.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the own kingdom in Warband was incredibly janky. I remember giving away castles you conquered to your vassals made every single other vassal mad at you, so once you got to a decent size, everyone was mad at you all the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Just like real-life politics. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Cyberbeeps adventures for the day:

Beep visits a mass grave

Beep commits regicide

Beep fights off hordes of fogmen

Beep is recognized by the holy nation

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's some mighty fine beepin' there Beep.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I've heard the slave start is good because you can safely skill up without worrying about food, raids or money. But I'm finding it tedious. My two guys get knocked the gently caress out the minute they try to fight back, I have no idea how people are becoming kung fu masters in that place when I can't even land a goddamn hit and every assassination attempt is 0%.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I've heard the slave start is good because you can safely skill up without worrying about food, raids or money. But I'm finding it tedious. My two guys get knocked the gently caress out the minute they try to fight back, I have no idea how people are becoming kung fu masters in that place when I can't even land a goddamn hit and every assassination attempt is 0%.

Break out at night and knock out slaves in cages or on poles.

Getting beaten to nearly dead and then healed without (much) risk of loss of limb or life is like a cheat code.

Sneak all the time.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Carry shackles around all day to get beefy. Sneak out at night to cause mayhem. Releasing prisoners from their cages and they might follow you or decide to go start trouble. Always try to knockout guards, even failures will raise your assassination skill. Put those unconscious guards in cages and they become slaves themselves and won't bother you anymore.

I started a new game as a wanderer but got bored of the hub and decided what I really wanted was a slave start. So I marched up to Rebirth and turned myself in. Came out a few weeks later buff as hell but despite the army of allies following me out the gates not one of them decided to join my faction. Got bored of the Hub again so I went back to Rebirth.
Second attempt I came out even buffer and with six new recruits. Decided to head east into the desert, following a samurai squad for protection since everybody is a malnourished pile of broken limbs. Lost the bodyguards, got beaten up by a skimmer, and promptly rescued by man hunters. UC is way too trusting of their slaves though since we just sort of walked away without much fuss.
Sitting back in the Hub and thinking about how to grow my army of ex slaves. Might have to go back to Rebirth.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

BrainMeats posted:

Sitting back in the Hub and thinking about how to grow my army of ex slaves. Might have to go back to Rebirth.

Steal everything, sell it and then buy slaves in the United cities for new recruits.. ex slave Army starts growing.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I wonder how long it would take to get str/agi /laboring to say 50 by just going afk with your dudes in Rebirth chock full of shackles.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you just post up in UC territory and get a small base going you'll get occasional random fleeing slaves joining you. Then you have to fight off a retaliatory raid from the slavers trying to get the slave back, but that can be useful for training.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I thought I'd turn the damage multiplier and lethality up to get a more brutal feel in my game. People are dying left and right, so that's cool. A bonedog pack has murdered everyone in Stack since they get the first couple hits in and that's enough to down a paladin. I had to turn the setting back to normal after I found out that while crossbow damage was increased, resistances were not. I somehow did ~300 damage to a poor guy with a bow that is only supposed to do 80-100. Ouch. I'll admit, blowing off limbs and dropping fully armored soldiers every couple seconds was fun for a short bit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I wonder how long it would take to get str/agi /laboring to say 50 by just going afk with your dudes in Rebirth chock full of shackles.

A long effing time, since you gain no stats while labouring only when walking.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a mod that fixes this and associates the Labor action with strength gains, but it tends to make slaves get super ripped, which can look kind of silly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a mod that fixes this and associates the Labor action with strength gains, but it tends to make slaves get super ripped, which can look kind of silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KYZ74OAak&t=114s

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Strength is one of the easiest stats to raise, surpassed only by perception, so that sounds fine. I think its fair to say a dude who breaks rocks all day is going to get pretty jacked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it does make sense. It just looks a bit weird on slaves because of the whole "no food" thing, so you get guys with Conan anatomy but starvation victim ribs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in my skeletons-and-sheks playthrough starting in squin, I've made it to day 8 so far and I've discovered the police tower is a great place to level up all kinds of skills. I've got Kang constantly dropping and picking up bowls to level stealth and thieving and setting free and beating up bandits to level lockpicking and toughness. I have the dialog option for using stealth KO's on captured bandits, with success rates varying between 20–40% but the option never does anything; he'll just stop moving as though he's going to perform an action and then just do nothing. How do you actually do that to level assassination?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The tower's a bit wonky so you might be having trouble actually reaching the bandits.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On captured bandits, as in, bandits that are in a cage? I believe that's your problem right there. The game just won't let you do that, either to discourage cheesing or because you just physically can't get close enough to them while they're imprisoned. You have to find a guy running around "in the wild" instead, as it were. Simply find a patrol somewhere and pick them off from the back. Unless the Assassination fails, no one will notice, and sometimes not even then. Lone civilians or guards in town are also an option. You can rob them afterwards! It's fun and profitable.

If you've got your heart set on doing the capture dummy thing, try using prisoner poles instead of cages. If it is a pathfinding/distance issue, then doing so might be enough to solve the problem for you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try fill up the tower til there's prisoners on the poles too and KO those?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Try fill up the tower til there's prisoners on the poles too and KO those?

Does not work on the poles either :(

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Addamere posted:

Does not work on the poles either :(

Knockout works on people in cages and poles, but you have to be able to get behind them, if it's right against the wall or another object you can't knock them out. I practiced knockouts a lot on those in Rebirth start

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'll have to try that again, then. I know I've tried it from all directions and it just never seemed to work no matter what I did, but maybe the angle was off or something.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

On the topic of training Assassination, Shark is a great place to do so. Knock out a Hound that’s manning a turret and another one will immediately sprint to the turret to replace him. Knock him out too, rinse and repeat; you get a new victim every 5-10 seconds or so.

The only thing you have to be careful of is not to be seen when your crime timer is ticking down. When a turret goes unmanned the closest available Hound will go to it, and if that’s one of the 15+ unconscious bodies at your feet that’s just waking up you’ll probably be seen. It’s not always immediately obvious that you’ve been caught too until you leave and everyone starts trying to kill you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

On the topic of training Assassination, Shark is a great place to do so. Knock out a Hound that’s manning a turret and another one will immediately sprint to the turret to replace him. Knock him out too, rinse and repeat; you get a new victim every 5-10 seconds or so.

The only thing you have to be careful of is not to be seen when your crime timer is ticking down. When a turret goes unmanned the closest available Hound will go to it, and if that’s one of the 15+ unconscious bodies at your feet that’s just waking up you’ll probably be seen. It’s not always immediately obvious that you’ve been caught too until you leave and everyone starts trying to kill you.

I just naruto run the guy behind a train of grass pirates or whatever and ko all of them + steal their poo poo while walking around. Eventually you get good at it

Step one is getting stealth high enough to naruto run at 20-24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Addamere posted:

So in my skeletons-and-sheks playthrough starting in squin, I've made it to day 8 so far and I've discovered the police tower is a great place to level up all kinds of skills. I've got Kang constantly dropping and picking up bowls to level stealth and thieving and setting free and beating up bandits to level lockpicking and toughness. I have the dialog option for using stealth KO's on captured bandits, with success rates varying between 20–40% but the option never does anything; he'll just stop moving as though he's going to perform an action and then just do nothing. How do you actually do that to level assassination?

Out of curiosity if you KO a guard and give him a repair kit will he repair a skeleton after that? I noticed if I stole their first aid kits they stopped healing prisoners until I gave them one back but I don't have a skeleton to test with.