Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There really isn't anything so bad that blind fanboyism won't find a way to defend it, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

audibly went "oh my god no please no"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cerebral Bore posted:

There really isn't anything so bad that blind fanboyism won't find a way to defend it, is there?
did you step into the internet yesterday?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

My dude, have you heard of the people denying Jerry Sandusky's guilt and Joe Paterno's complicity?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Punch McLightning posted:

My dude, have you heard of the people denying Jerry Sandusky's guilt and Joe Paterno's complicity?

No, I get making excuses for people who make you personally feel good no matter how horrible they may be. That's just regular old FYGM assholery. What I don't get is making excuses for people who are obviously contemptuous of you and just poo poo all over the fans on a regular basis.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Punch McLightning posted:

Also see the fact the WWE had a Sandy Hook denier main event Wrestlemania this year

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

No, I get making excuses for people who make you personally feel good no matter how horrible they may be. That's just regular old FYGM assholery. What I don't get is making excuses for people who are obviously contemptuous of you and just poo poo all over the fans on a regular basis.

Have you heard of a little author called George Orwell?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also see the fact the WWE had a Sandy Hook denier main event Wrestlemania this year

Also see that Vince basically pulled a Joe Paterno for three separate pedophiles and faced less consequences for it than a dead man.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/aptaube/status/1181280634402230274

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cerebral Bore posted:

Fandom/Stan/let people enjoy things culture is the absolute worst

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bzzz, nevermind.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 8, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Is this the thread to post crazy Jay White fans? She's had surgery and is angry that White hasn't acknowledged this on Twitter.

Sounds like she has mental health issues so we probably shouldn't be making fun of her

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Rarity posted:

Sounds like she has mental health issues so we probably shouldn't be making fun of her

Hella same. This is The Chris Regal Memorial Thread for Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Suggestion noted, deleted.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

You can practically see the email that dude got from WWE with the talking points he needed to hit right in the article.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

quote:

I know it's been a while since it happened now and everybody's probably sick of talking about it, but I just watched the end of this episode of RAW and the main event is a guy the company should be building as a top star having a push apart brawl with some boxing guy that nobody's ever heard of.
What the hell?!
It's a wrestling show!!
Seriously, I've been going back and watching every RAW from the beginning on the network and after months of getting the biggest reactions of anyone on the roster, that idiot Vince has RAW end with Stone Cold Steve Austin having a pull-apart brawl with some Tyson boxing guy. So stupid!
There's so many guys on that roster who could be huge stars if Vince gave them a shot - Kama, Henry Godwinn, Bart Gunn, the Headbangers - but instead they're wasting the main event segment on some Tyson boxing guy nobody's ever heard of.
So stupid

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

imagine not know who the gently caress Mike Tyson was and what he meant to sports culture in the 90s.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Celebrated rapist Mike Tyson

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

jesus WEP posted:

fits right into the culture

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

He is though. You ask boxing nerds who ate lightning and crapped thunder, Tyson will be in the conversation.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah whyd you think Vince had him do a face turn at Mania

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't believe the WWE whiffed it with certified prospect Bart Gunn!!!

The internet is awful

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Isn't the joke of that post about making GBS threads on the people who could be stars if the fed wasn't bad at booking by comparing the Braun/homophobe boxer to Austin/video game boxer.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Its a dude trying to own people complaining about last nights raw by comparing Tyson Fury to the arguably the most famous boxer of all time.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Dimebags Brain posted:

Also see that Vince basically pulled a Joe Paterno for three separate pedophiles and faced less consequences for it than a dead man.

He got a murderer off the hook by testifying he was a wild animal who doesn't understand the rules of society because that was his gimmick

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

some Tyson boxing guy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Vince McMahon also had sex with his mother on a bed of leaves while a bear watched.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I feel like people really dont understand what a draw Mike Tyson was, and how little of a draw Fury is. It's a farcical comparison.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I normally like Kenny's stuff, but this HIAC column was the most Shoemaker-y non-Shoemaker article I've ever read on Grantland or Ringer.

Shoemaker in general is endlessly frustrating to me; this is the best thread for that I guess. He's probably the best writer covering wrestling on a regular basis, but most of his career has been thanks to luck and bullshit. Dead Wrestler of the Week was usually pretty goodat this point I can't think of any explanation other than he made a point of researching them much better than his subsequent workand then he went to Grantland and his content immediately fell off a cliff. It's OK to not know stuff in a general sense, but he's gotten so much basic history and other information so weirdly wrong while being presented as an expert that it's infuriating.

And since he managed to find a high-powered editor/personality who only thinks highly of his work because they have the same weird "alien pretending to be a hardcore fan" view of things, it doesn't matter how much his work is scrutinized. He's protected. That he was at an ESPN property for years doesn't help, either, because they have a terrible history of not correcting poo poo unless they absolutely have to. Same goes for releasing an embarrassingly bad history book through a major publisher that threw a shockingly hefty amount of weight behind promoting it.

Now? He's the unofficial combat sports editor at The Ringer, and The Ringer pays freelancers pretty well. Am I supposed to try to pitch this dude who I've rightfully called out for years for being about as inaccurate as humanly possible? Am I supposed to expect him to just listen if I did?

Occasionally some people on Twitter have called me jealous of Shoemaker. And...they're not entirely wrong. It's not why I've criticized himsomething I largely gave up on for the last several years after getting completely sick of reading his stuff. But it's hard not to be jealous when he's had incredible luck in parlaying basically the same Deadspin spot as me into multiple staff jobs that nobody else covering wrestling has been able to even sniff, not just me. All because he writes in a very particular way that caught the eye of the right few people. (Asterisk: I believe that at least at Grantland, he was technically a staff graphic designer because he could work in that area as well, but still having gotten on Simmons's radar as a wrestling writer.)

That was probably a bit too much, but it was on my mind after a DM discussion I had with someone last night about the lack of staff spots.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dimebags Brain posted:

Who's the third? Phillips, Garvin, and...Patterson?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

He got a murderer off the hook by testifying he was a wild animal who doesn't understand the rules of society because that was his gimmick
There was no testifying, it never even went to court back then. He was speaking for Snuka as a representative in a police interview that weirdly wasn't recorded even though the first one was.

I tried to cover all of the confusion around the case here when he died: https://www.vocativ.com/falsestart/395847/jimmy-snukas-lies-murderer-legacy/index.html (If you want to see the artwork, which appears to have been eaten by all of the weird "pivot to video" poo poo from Vocative abandoning the archived articles, try it on the Wayback Machine, though that borks some of the formatting.)

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

davidbix posted:

(Asterisk: I believe that at least at Grantland, he was technically a staff graphic designer because he could work in that area as well, but still having gotten on Simmons's radar as a wrestling writer.)

My understanding is hes doing the same at The Ringer, so Id guess its a scenario of Grantland was dying, Simmons was starting the next thing, and he went Hey, can you do graphics for this, TOO?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

blast0rama posted:

My understanding is hes doing the same at The Ringer, so Id guess its a scenario of Grantland was dying, Simmons was starting the next thing, and he went Hey, can you do graphics for this, TOO?
Yeah, just checked now after you mentioned it: If you click on his Ringer profile, his title is "Art Director." But he's also the de facto combat editor for some reason.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Shoemaker's column that had a fantasy draft of only WWE guys is still one of the dumbest things ever written

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Shoemaker's column that had a fantasy draft of only WWE guys is still one of the dumbest things ever written
This one? It's specifically about the WWE draft: https://www.theringer.com/2016/7/18/16038782/the-wwe-draft-according-to-david-shoemaker-bill-simmons-and-friends-276c5c6f5766

Meanwhile, on this week's Drive Thru, Corny addresses some of the backlash to his "girls matches" comments, both generally and from a specific letter. It started OK, at least relative to what he's exposed to these days (that the numbers aren't there for there to be equal numbers of men's and women's matches at a high level), which I disagree with but sort of makes sense when you consider what he does/doesn't watch. (It also means that he shouldn't give that take when he clearly doesn't have a good barometer of who's out there.) But then it spiraled into how he feels that the physiological differences make women less durable and somehow mixed in stuff about how the best WNBA player couldn't walk into the NBA among other stupid poo poo I can't remember.

He was also super-dismissive of a listener saying that currently if you want a match that feels like a fight, the women are the most reliable. It's not always the case, but there have been large portions of the women's revolution era of WWE where that was ABSOLUTELY the case.

Oh, and he showed his hand (that he's still coming from the territory era mindset of women's wrestling as a touring sideshow) by doing the whole "But what about midget wrestlers?!?!" thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember Mickie James and Melina having some absolute brawls.

getting mad about women's wrestling is wasted energy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Vince McMahon also had sex with his mother on a bed of leaves while a bear watched.

Amazing post/AV combo.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait is this why Arn was fired?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is sarcasm btw

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

davidbix posted:

Who's the third? Phillips, Garvin, and...Patterson?

I was including Patterson. I know those accusations are iffy but A. This is a forum mainly for shitposting so Im not going to worry myself with gaining a preponderance of evidence, and B. At this point Im not willing to give Vince or the WWE the benefit of the doubt over anything.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Matt Borne has been accused of pedophillia by wrestlers in shoots before.