Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pochoclo posted:

Pffft please who needs Europe when you can tour *checks map* Paddleswock-upon-Humber and... Chickensesterescester... with their energetic populations of... 80 year olds average

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DypvmH4ov4

Ed: decent page snipe!

Beatles disband. US invades Cambodia. Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty signed. Biggest ever rock festival on the Isle of Wight 600000 attended, Jimi Hendrix and The Who played. Apollo 13 mission to the moon (Houston, we have a problem).
oh and Janis Joplin died.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What No 10 think is happening with brexit:

Source: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/how-number-10-view-the-state-of-the-negotiations/

TL:DR No 10 are delusional. We're f*ked.

Seems like an apt end to the funny sex page. If this is reflective of the thinking in Number 10 (and it seems about right) then your failed nation is truly pounded in the butt by Leo Varadkar and you have my sincere sympathies

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'd just poison the game community with my fungal pedantry or something.

I dunno much about morels though, I've never found any. The closest I've got is this absolute beauty of a Gyromitra Esculenta,

which, depending on cultural factors, is either a very good food shroom or highly poisonous, or both. I think it's technically called a false morel in english maybe

what cultural factors make "highly poisonous" subjective??? or is this like a fugu thing

the interesting thing about mushrooms is someone at some point had to go "yeah ok I'll try eating that black cloud"
they'd probably have had the hounds set on them if they didn't, but still a pioneer

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1181244072784207872?s=20

"Love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Extinction compliance.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jess Phillips reselected babs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Beatles disband. US invades Cambodia. Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty signed. Biggest ever rock festival on the Isle of Wight 600000 attended, Jimi Hendrix and The Who played. Apollo 13 mission to the moon (Houston, we have a problem).
My mam went to that and met Jimi getting an ice cream.

(The Isle of Wight festival, but as I'm saying unprovable things on the internet let's also say Cambodia and the moon.)

baka kaba posted:

what cultural factors make "highly poisonous" subjective??? or is this like a fugu thing
Yeah I guess it's a preparation thing. That's why mushroom ketchup was a thing (and you can still get it and it's amazing for preparing Sunday roasts) and also why people initially always prepared tomatoes into ketchup in some parts because they were convinced that the raw ones were poisonous. Raw tomatoes are powerfully poo poo though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

Raw tomatoes are powerfully poo poo though.

what the

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can see why the first settlers bit into one and said "gently caress me this must be some kind of nightshade" and then died to avoid eating the rest of it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

My mam went to that and met Jimi getting an ice cream.

(The Isle of Wight festival, but as I'm saying unprovable things on the internet let's also say Cambodia and the moon.)

My first fiancee also went to that (several years before I met him!). Don't think he met any famous bods though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

and thats how guavanaut was conceived

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Eh, not too surprising.

Though if and when a Corbyn government gets in and she suddenly shrinks further and further into a corn cob it'll be interesting!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
That #10 bullshit rings horrifyingly true.

On the plus side, my uncle came down over the weekend and through an evening of booze and jazz I think I talked him out of joining Extinction Rebellion and into voting for Labour. So :unsmith:

Anyway, have a guardian article about just how stupid the idea of a fantasy football government of national unity is:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/07/fantasy-national-unity-government-gift-brexiters-second-referendum

"Tom Kibasi writes in a personal capacity". Because we wouldn't want to besmirch that editorial line.

E: Comments are wildly entertaining, even for the guardian.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 7, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I guess it's a preparation thing. That's why mushroom ketchup was a thing (and you can still get it and it's amazing for preparing Sunday roasts) and also why people initially always prepared tomatoes into ketchup in some parts because they were convinced that the raw ones were poisonous. Raw tomatoes are powerfully poo poo though.

let them actually go red and they're good, salt and oil on 'em if you need it!

the cultural thing makes sense though:
Swedish style: I will carefully research this and prepare any edible parts in a delicious way
UK style: *stuffing entire thing into face* PROJECT FEAR

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Tomatoes are the best thing ever and it's the one silver lining of being a species of insane fucks that just went around eating poisonous things until we stopped dying from it

Same with coffee and spicy peppers, we just took something that nature made to keep us away and turned it into pleasure

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 7, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm very excited for you all to hear this week's podcast episode and my full disection of why XR sucks :D

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It was too much to hope for :negative:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jess Phillips: winning here!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Other than the use of far-right talking points? Like I say, literally the only people bringing religion and race into the Rotherham case are Tommy Robinson and his band of merry fuckwits.

Not to dredge it up but you're either lying or uninformed, girls were targeted because their religion was Sikh and girls were targeted because their race was white, it's in the court documentation. And gently caress off implying that I've ever tried to drag or subtly introduce race into anything either, morality is not race contingent.

Tempted to get arrested at the weekend tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Tomatoes are the best thing ever
When cooked correctly.

Pochoclo posted:

Same with coffee and spicy peppers, we just took something that nature made to keep us away and turned it into pleasure
The exact same holds for cocaine and tobacco and I'm not even disagreeing because there's no good reason for coca leaves to be illegal other than anti indigenous prejudice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just reading an article by Vince Cable https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-referendum-final-say-referendum-violence-leavers-a9145941.html
(Shan't copy it here) but he wrote this "foreshadow an imaginary, all-out civil war if passports are not blue by 1 November."
This led me to ponder: If everyone who was bothered was issued with a blue passport, how many brexiteers would think we had actually brexited because what difference do they imagine brexit will make to their lives? As all bad effects are dismissed as project fear, then the only observable effect in many of their eyes would in fact be the blue passport.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like that Vince Cable lists "delayed again or stopped by a referendum" as the likely options. He knows his party isn't getting a majority.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

There was a twitter link in this or the cspam thread about an XR protest in Germany where the police had to stop policing for a bit for some reason, so the protesters stopped protesting until the police came back lol. Like they literally sat down and waited

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Article you might be interested in.

quote:

How King Crimson’s masterpiece led a generation to Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-a9121641.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Not to dredge it up but you're either lying or uninformed, girls were targeted because their religion was Sikh and girls were targeted because their race was white, it's in the court documentation. And gently caress off implying that I've ever tried to drag or subtly introduce race into anything either, morality is not race contingent.

Tempted to get arrested at the weekend tbh.

You'll be safe, the Old Bill never arrest your type.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like that Vince Cable lists "delayed again or stopped by a referendum" as the likely options. He knows his party isn't getting a majority.

I thought the Lib Dem position was Revoke, unless they got a majority in which case they'd have a referendum

because that's how things work

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You'll be safe, the Old Bill never arrest your type.

Not even a whisper of intellectual or moral curiosity or truth-seeking or even making your point online, astounding.

Do you think the police regularly arrest people for posts? Do you think they track the ethnicity of forum posters? What are you even trying to say?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This led me to ponder: If everyone who was bothered was issued with a blue passport, how many brexiteers would think we had actually brexited because what difference do they imagine brexit will make to their lives? As all bad effects are dismissed as project fear, then the only observable effect in many of their eyes would in fact be the blue passport.

I've been saying, ever since Leave won, all Cameron had to do was go to Juncker and Tusk and say, "look, can we just tell everyone we've left the EU, but not actually do it?"

But no. He resigned in order to spend more time with his swine and let people who actually thought going through with it was the plan take over.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just came to post that.
What proportion of LibDem MPs were tories?
I hope the libdem base are going to take note!

4/19

or

more accurately

19/19 :lol:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What No 10 think is happening with brexit:

Source: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/how-number-10-view-the-state-of-the-negotiations/

TL:DR No 10 are delusional. We're f*ked.

So I actually waded through some of Dominic Cummings' blogs and the writing style of that spectator article is eerily similar. There's the chatty conversational tone. Pseudowonkish technobabble- "Given his assumptions, Varadkar’s behaviour is arguably rational but his assumptions are, I think, false... they don’t understand the electoral dynamics". There are also these two beauties:
"Our legal advice is clear...Different lawyers see the “frustration principle” very differently"- Clear as mud then?
"countries which oppose delay will go the front of the queue...on things both within and outside EU competences"- So countries within the EU, for whom the EU negotiates collectively, some are going to the front of the queue and some to the back then?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why can't xtinction rebellion just be like ok? SO before they didnt do anything, now theyre doing a bit. Maybe later they'll do more? UNless they're like a secret counter protest group setup to drag people down to be less protesty? It seems kind of fine? And people on the internet moaning about it are basically the epitome of critics being hypo.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Endjinneer posted:

So I actually waded through some of Dominic Cummings' blogs and the writing style of that spectator article is eerily similar. There's the chatty conversational tone. Pseudowonkish technobabble- "Given his assumptions, Varadkar’s behaviour is arguably rational but his assumptions are, I think, false... they don’t understand the electoral dynamics". There are also these two beauties:
"Our legal advice is clear...Different lawyers see the “frustration principle” very differently"- Clear as mud then?
"countries which oppose delay will go the front of the queue...on things both within and outside EU competences"- So countries within the EU, for whom the EU negotiates collectively, some are going to the front of the queue and some to the back then?
It absolutely has the stench of Cummies all over it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4g0a7LaUUI

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
They sometimes come into more radical actions and demos with their hippy nonsense and talk to cops, despite being told over and over not to talk to loving cops. Parts of XR Youth and a few other XR groups are pretty great, but general XR sucks a lot of money and energy into ineffective action. Good for tying up police resources and a good place to recruit people into more radical groups though.

Also hosed up to encourage people to get arrested blocking roads - realistically they should be doing things like shutting down power stations, the offices of oil companies, etc. Hitting them where it really hurts.

They also promote the idea that we don't have to end capitalism - which is frankly harmful nonsense and might literally end up getting us all killed (and is already killing millions in the Global South).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

XR sucks a lot of money and energy into ineffective action.

Has there been much effective action on climate change?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's being done by the climate

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so man made at least

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's been some really cool effective stuff around fracking, and there's some decent anti-HS2 stuff right now. Don't get me wrong, on balance I'm glad XR is a thing - they're just also a bit insufferable sometimes and need to actually engage with politics (not in the parliamentary sense). Saying the climate change struggle is 'above politics' is just so laughably and pathetically naive that it makes it hard for a lot of proper lefties to take them seriously. It is good fun to start gently caress the police chants at XR events and watch the middle class centrists get all mad at least.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cumming's approach is powerfully dumb, especially if he doesn't realise that the 'differing opinions' of lawyers won't mean poo poo when it's the supreme court that decides. Of course the government can find lawyers that agree with them, they're paying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If they all spent their time and money and effort campaigning for Labour we might be carbon neutral as a country by 2030.

XR's stated target is 2025 but they have no actual formal plans on how to get there beyond "declare a climate emergency" (which Corbs has done) and "citizens assembly to monitor progress" which is meaningless.