Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm sure lots of actors on "TRT" don't know that's called steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A regular "vitamin shot" in the rear end doesn't mean what it used to (in Hollywood).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Time posted:

The diet and workout is the same you would get from good advice online, there’s no secret methods you don’t know. It’s the paying for someone every single day to make sure you don’t get lazy that works wonders.

It would just be much easier if someone was putting that mental work in for you, and all you have to do is show up and do what you're told.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It would just be much easier if someone was putting that mental work in for you, and all you have to do is show up and do what you're told.

That already exists at the easiest possible level for everyone from places like RP. I haven’t thought about this poo poo in years and just competed in my 3rd bodybuilding show.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really don't know why you want to argue with the idea that getting fit quickly is easier when you have aides helping you do it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A spreadsheet isn't gonna hold your hand though, and tell you "well done" when you finish a set. Also no one is literally paying you to work out (I assume).

That's like a motivation thing that most people in this thread don't have a problem with but it's not that way for everyone.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Time posted:

That already exists at the easiest possible level for everyone from places like RP. I haven’t thought about this poo poo in years and just competed in my 3rd bodybuilding show.

The easiest possible level is someone chewing my food and spitting it my mouth, bruh, there are levels to this poo poo.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The easiest possible level is someone chewing my food and spitting it my mouth, bruh, there are levels to this poo poo.

No wonder those birds have such swole arms

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Time posted:

Any motherfucker can compete in a bodybuilding show, they ain't turning down money. My 310 pound hairy self could compete in a bodybuilding show. Wouldn't do well but I could compete.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Which Hollywood actor do we think took the most gear to get big for a role

My bet is Christian Bale playing batman, with Tom Hardy playing Bane second

Hugh Jackman in Xmen, then The Wolverine when he was 13 years older and twice the size

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really don't know why you want to argue with the idea that getting fit quickly is easier when you have aides helping you do it.

I literally said that poo poo helps you. I just said it’s not some secret info those people have, it’s having someone there to hold you accountable constantly which is why it’s so expensive and out of reach for most people. It wasn’t supposed to be contentious at all, it was pointing out why it’s so expensive. You have to pay a lot of people for a lot of time.

If it was just a question of having the right info this poo poo would be easy. It’s someone there at 5:30am making sure you aren’t tapping out of a set half way through because you are tired or grabbing a pizza because you are really hungry

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MikeCrotch posted:

Which Hollywood actor do we think took the most gear to get big for a role

My bet is Christian Bale playing batman, with Tom Hardy playing Bane second

Arnold for the original Conan movie.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Probably helps having a paycheck rely on reaching a certain level of swole.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

The Rock was on all the gear his body could handle from like 2010 to 2015. In Pain & Gain in particular he looks loving ludicrous.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Finally broke the plateau on my bench, adding in dumbbell bench after barbell bench was key :toot:

bomb fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 7, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I wouldn't count The Rock or Arnold because it was always their job to be big. My Hollywood transformation vote still goes to Bale for how fast he did the Machinist to Batman conversion.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Was the principal photography a year apart or the movie releases? Because that is an insane transformation on Bales part either way tbh

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Wasn't there a story about Bale having to slim down because he'd bulked up too much for Batman Begins? I swear I'd heard that somewhere, but it's still an impressive feat to go from Machinist ghoul to swole Batman

Yeah they had told him to bulk up as much as possible before filming but he wound up gaining so much weight the crew was calling him "Fatman" behind his back

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1181298168962732033

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Didn't Bale do that trip again when he did that war camp movie and then the next one was another Batman movie? Dude's got muscle cell nuclei.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 8, 2019

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
How soon we forget the transformation of Mack into Fat Mack and then into Hot Mack

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Tongues posted:

How soon we forget the transformation of Mack into Fat Mack and then into Hot Mack

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

doverhog posted:

There was a weight cutting guru in MMA a few years ago that some fighters would hire, and it turned out his secret method was that he would literally live with the fighter and only allow them to eat things he prepared so it was impossible cheat on your diet unless you were smuggling candybars with you into the shitter.

The Bulgarian weightlifting team lived with Ivan Abadjiev and were only allowed to go out on certain days of the week (probably on pain of not getting your dbol ration if you broke the rules)

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I understand now why strength training is much better than cardio, you can't wipe out a weeks worth of strength training on a pizza. Also strength training is additive so as long as you are consistent you'll be able to muscle poo poo around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

I understand now why strength training is much better than cardio, you can't wipe out a weeks worth of strength training on a pizza. Also strength training is additive so as long as you are consistent you'll be able to muscle poo poo around.

Cardio is pretty poo poo for weight loss TBH.

It’s good for you and your heart though so just do some weighted cardio.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I'm mostly doing snatches, long cycles, and swings for cardio and I continue to enjoy those lifts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Greg Nuckols has some good thoughts on cardio: Avoiding Cardio Could Be Holding You Back

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Good to throw in some 8-10 rep sets I agree.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Khorne posted:

You can never know. There's nothing about that picture that isn't achievable naturally though. He doesn't even have much mass for a natural in most areas. Bordering on DYEL territory for how lean he is. Except his abs.

If you look at most people who do steroids on gym boards they just look like natural people. Swole, most of the time, but nothing you'd look at and go "that's impossible to do naturally"

the point of steroids is not to balloon up into a meatmonster like pro bodybuilders. It's to build more mass more effectively in a shorter time period. To reach your goal physique faster. That's why actors do it, so they can have a full body transformation in 8 months as a 40 year old guy

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A friend of mine who is pretty skinny is now super jacked in the calf muscles at least, from hiking in the last year. He does 13 mile hikes. I'm here being like 'but... but cardio kills gains!' Clearly that's not the case. He's about 160 lbs to my 230 and his calf muscles are about 1.5 the size of mine.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

redreader posted:

A friend of mine who is pretty skinny is now super jacked in the calf muscles at least, from hiking in the last year. He does 13 mile hikes. I'm here being like 'but... but cardio kills gains!' Clearly that's not the case. He's about 160 lbs to my 230 and his calf muscles are about 1.5 the size of mine.

13 mile hikes are a little different than spending 60-90 minutes in the gym.

My brother is an avid hiker that's also been lifting for the last 15 years straight. When he started doing weekly long hikes he shrank in size across the board, even though his body fat % stayed the same (very low). He has a hard time getting in enough calories to maintain mass. My calves are larger than his at this point and my pulls are much higher as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All evidence points to calves not being a muscle since it behaves the opposite to every other muscle in the human body re: growing them things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Friend of mine who was in his early 20s during the 2000-era DDR craze ended up with calves like Popeye

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Calves are useless, wretched things and nobody should have them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

VorpalFish posted:

Calves are useless, wretched things and nobody should have them.
As someone who got a charlie horse in each calf this weekend while tent camping in below freezing weather, yeah calves are jerks. And I don't get the weak ones. I get the "my body is dumb as hell and tensed it up so much it's painful to touch or do anything for the next few days" tier of calve cramps.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

On Century Rides all the old white dudes asked me where I get my calves, they get disappointed when I tell them it’s from lifting.

Khorne posted:

As someone who got a charlie horse in each calf this weekend while tent camping in below freezing weather, yeah calves are jerks. And I don't get the weak ones. I get the "my body is dumb as hell and tensed it up so much it's painful to touch or do anything for the next few days" tier of calve cramps.

I grew up having those cramps weekly (I was mega fat) the trick is to extend your leg and point your toes at your face. For me it instantly stops the cramps and no soreness the next couple days.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The best way to get sick calves is to be a fat person

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Mustached Demon posted:

Good to throw in some 8-10 rep sets I agree.

I make my self get water from the upstairs fountain to really work up a sweat between sets

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

feelix posted:

The best way to get sick calves is to be a fat person

Hasn't worked for me. But seriously, I want to do some calf work. Any advice from the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Do a rep of calf work for every rep you do for your biceps.