Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

Nevermind about that Space Marine figure. It's a hundred loving dollars.

It's $210 in Australia :v:

I don't know how people didn't expect a massive price point for it. It's GW. Also, "This product is made to order and will be dispatched within 270 days." ie "haha you're gonna pay for something you're not getting for another 3/4 of a year, idiots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tzeentch: Just as planned.

When has a Games Workshop related product not been overpriced and subject to artificial scarcity?

Generally they keep the artificial scarcity to dumbass stuff like collectors edition codex. Their regular models and books aren't hard to get a hold of

As for overpriced, that's kinda tricky. Compared to Gunpla, yeah. But compared to other tabletop miniatures, I don't really think so. I don't know of any company that makes models of comparable quality for better prices.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

The Trans Gunpla conversation reminded me to post a kit I finished back in July!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Zodar posted:

The Trans Gunpla conversation reminded me to post a kit I finished back in July!

Very nice!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can live with the HG G40's different proportions and odd visual style from other RX-78-2 kits, but I can't abide the lack of articulation in the skirt armour.

Edit: forgot the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tr9SJyUGb4

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Saw this posted on reddit and it's just amazing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/ddk5hj/when_mom_said_you_have_to_clear_out_and_keep_only/

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Zodar posted:

I love it! Also I know that's Gunpla but it still really reminds me of those Robots from SaGa 2/Final Fantasy Legend 2.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

I think that's quite enough dakka, thank you very much.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

If I cross my eyes hard enough, I think I see a sail boat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

I think that's quite enough dakka, thank you very much.

No such animal and we both know it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

Looking back on these kits, which I loved at the time, I'm amazed that anyone stuck with GunPla when this was our introduction to it.

From a few days back, but this is pretty easy to explain, at least for me.

My first-ever Gunpla was the 1/144 Deathscythe Hell Custom. I got it sometime in 2000/2001.
This is the sort of stuff I had experience with: https://picclick.com/Revell-F16-Air-Team-148-Scale-Model-Airplane-202790206950.html . Revell, AMT/ERTL, Monogram. Basically without exception molded in one color except for canopy/windscreens, with generally static designs. Car doors and hoods might open, swing-wing aircraft probably swing their wings, but that's it. Everything was glued together. Or, if it was a cheaper snap-fit kit, it probably looked pretty lovely because those were for kids and they didn't really put much effort into them (speaking of, anyone else in a model-of-the-month club where they'd send you a model kit and some info on the car you'd put into a binder sometime in the early 90s?). I wouldn't be surprised if there are kits from the early 90s still in production that haven't changed anything but the box art.

Deathscythe was a model kit you could pose, molded in (roughly) accurate colors...it was a loving revolution. And it was a robot with a translucent green energy scythe, so go gently caress yourself, you huge-but-fragile B-36 Peacemaker.

I got nearly every 1/144 and 1/100 no-grade Gundam Wing kit, and still have them in a tub out in the shed. I even got one of those negative-grade Limited Model Taurus kits that Dalong doesn't even have on his site.

Have western companies taken any cues from Bandai, and updated their technology? Could I get a model F-15 that can raise and lower its gear, move all of its flight surfaces, remove inspection panels, and put it all back, without a drop of glue? For $30?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Have western companies taken any cues from Bandai, and updated their technology? Could I get a model F-15 that can raise and lower its gear, move all of its flight surfaces, remove inspection panels, and put it all back, without a drop of glue? For $30?

No, in fact Revell responded to the importation of Bandai Star Wars kits not by making better models but by whining to The Mouse to lean on Bandai to tell its sellers to slow down imports for a while.

One of these companies is no longer in business.

But yeah, it parallels my experience with cars: I’m never buying American again.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Pyroclastic posted:

Some companies (Revell, Airfix) still use molds from like the 50s.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05778-fokker-dri--1098293

I don't think any scale kit is ever gonna be what you describe, since the scale market isn't quite the same as gunpla, especially in regards to moving parts. Bandai also has an advantage in that their customers wont pull out micrometers and technical drawings to check for accuracy and count rivets.

The current top of the line kit as far as assembly and engineering goes is Tamiya's P-38. From what I've seen you can pretty much assemble most of the thing without glue or filler, but glue is still necessary to make sure the thing doesnt fall apart while painting.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61120-lockheed-p-38-f-g-lightning--1234208

As far as western companies go, thats a bit iffy since most of the big names these days are Eastern European. I'm not aware of any US based manufacturers. I guess Peter Jackson's NZ-based company, Wingnut Wings, counts as western. The interior and exterior detail for one of their upcoming kits is staggering, but so is the price.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3193&cat=5

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Some companies (Revell, Airfix) still use molds from like the 50s.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05778-fokker-dri--1098293

I don't think any scale kit is ever gonna be what you describe, since the scale market isn't quite the same as gunpla, especially in regards to moving parts. Bandai also has an advantage in that their customers wont pull out micrometers and technical drawings to check for accuracy and count rivets.

The current top of the line kit as far as assembly and engineering goes is Tamiya's P-38. From what I've seen you can pretty much assemble most of the thing without glue or filler, but glue is still necessary to make sure the thing doesnt fall apart while painting.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61120-lockheed-p-38-f-g-lightning--1234208

As far as western companies go, thats a bit iffy since most of the big names these days are Eastern European. I'm not aware of any US based manufacturers. I guess Peter Jackson's NZ-based company, Wingnut Wings, counts as western. The interior and exterior detail for one of their upcoming kits is staggering, but so is the price.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3193&cat=5

Well, thankfully, Gundam has difficulty keeping their suits looking the same from shot to shot, and have all sorts of animation cheats. I haven't watched much lately, but I assume even 3d models of suits in the show cheat constantly. No real-world stuff to actually compare it to, so they get to obey Rule of Cool. I suppose that a 'properly' completed Gundam kit won't be moved much to avoid damaging the paint, but at least it gives a lot more display freedom for a lot less effort.

It's kinda funny looking at the pics of that Lancaster, and despite all that detail and effort, it's bog-standard sprue design and the gating is the same as it's been for decades.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't necessarily think its an east vs west technology gap but Bandai having a very different audience in mind. Some of the best scale model companies in the world are Japanese producing for a Japanese audience so if there was a significant consumer demand for an F-15 with play features and part separation I'm sure they would have filled the gap. Scale modellers in Japan surely know about Gunpla but are still happy to buy Tamiya or Fine Molds kits.

The technology isn't static either in plamo. Stuff like slide moulding especially has really improved the quality of models. Academy (Korean) are doing a lot of interesting stuff there.

Pyroclastic posted:

It's kinda funny looking at the pics of that Lancaster, and despite all that detail and effort, it's bog-standard sprue design and the gating is the same as it's been for decades.

i'm not really understanding what despite is doing in this sentence. If the detail and effort put into the kit are present when built what does it matter what the sprue design is?

WW is kind of a fringe example because its also company that expects end users to do their own rigging on WW1 biplanes so I imagine they expect their customers to be able to remove and clean up parts from runners easily.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pyroclastic posted:

From a few days back, but this is pretty easy to explain, at least for me.

My first-ever Gunpla was the 1/144 Deathscythe Hell Custom. I got it sometime in 2000/2001.
This is the sort of stuff I had experience with: https://picclick.com/Revell-F16-Air-Team-148-Scale-Model-Airplane-202790206950.html . Revell, AMT/ERTL, Monogram. Basically without exception molded in one color except for canopy/windscreens, with generally static designs. Car doors and hoods might open, swing-wing aircraft probably swing their wings, but that's it. Everything was glued together. Or, if it was a cheaper snap-fit kit, it probably looked pretty lovely because those were for kids and they didn't really put much effort into them (speaking of, anyone else in a model-of-the-month club where they'd send you a model kit and some info on the car you'd put into a binder sometime in the early 90s?). I wouldn't be surprised if there are kits from the early 90s still in production that haven't changed anything but the box art.

Deathscythe was a model kit you could pose, molded in (roughly) accurate colors...it was a loving revolution. And it was a robot with a translucent green energy scythe, so go gently caress yourself, you huge-but-fragile B-36 Peacemaker.

I'm fairly certain we're talking about the same kit because I ran across my old 1/144 Deathscythe Hell Custom while clearing out the garage and it was an ugly yellow plastic beam part, not even translucent.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just finished putting together the main part of the new MG Gunner Zaku Warrior. (Haven't done the gunner wizard yet)

It terms of construction it's very similar to MG Jegan, low complexity, high detail, no polys. I know some people are a little turned off by that style but personally I quite like it. The hands are the fixed pose switchable fingers type, but the peg on the finger parts is nice and big and goes fairly deep, so that's an improvement. Another great thing with construction is they finally realized they can use 2-stage molding to make complete zaku leg pipes, so the nightmare is finally over.

As always with kits like this that will most definitely be reused for a few thousand variants, the runner names have some vague hints at what we can expect. The armor and weapons are marked "MG 1/100 Zaku Warrior" with the wizard pack marked specifically as "MG 1/100Gunner Zaku Warrior" so endless Zaku variants are definitely on the table. The frame parts though are curiously marked "1/100 Z.A.F.T Frame" (no MG) so we may see some other Zaft stuff (though I imagine they mean Gouf etc. rather than Radar Chicken) also I guess they haven't ruled out the possibility of reusing the frame for RE/100s?

If there's anything to be disappointed by in this kit, it's that the head doesn't get a fancy monoeye wiggle gimmick like the Zaku Ver. 2.0 and that the hand grenades are mostly for decoration.

Overall though, I really liked it. Great color separation, very solid and decent posability. The sculpt also gives it a very cool chunky look that serves well to separate it from the classic Zaku, so it doesn't look quite so much like a pretender to the throne if you pose them together.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Fifth kit done, the RG GP01 Zephyranthes. It was interesting going back to when RGs had a poorer reputation, but I don't think that applies to this one. I guess I'll see how those molded-in joints hold up after supporting weight for a while, but everything holds together really well. The exception is those terrible poseable hands that are never ever going back on this thing.

WIP threaad starts here:
https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1172926995883266049

Finished pics start here:
https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1180847118052990977

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zephyranthes and the Full Burnern are both quite good kits provided you are willing to put some glue in. I had no intention of posing the Fb with its core fighter out, so I glued the top tabs of the chest onto the abs.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I gonna grab a RX-178 kit. What scale and version should I be looking at?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Zephyranthes and the Full Burnern are both quite good kits provided you are willing to put some glue in. I had no intention of posing the Fb with its core fighter out, so I glued the top tabs of the chest onto the abs.

Yeah, I’m not going to lie. The RGs I’ve built (Build Strike Full Package and Banshee Norn) are both incredibly fun kits but there are spots that need a drop of glue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

I gonna grab a RX-178 kit. What scale and version should I be looking at?

The Real Grade is a pretty fantastic kit. But they also did a new High Grade version a few years back that's pretty solid if you'd prefer a simpler build.

Some people are gonna tell you to to get the Titans version. But they're wrong, the AEUG version is better.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm still new to this game; I've bought... 11 gunpla now, all HG and RG cause I'm too cheap to jump to MG, and my favourites are the RGs and stuff from Build Fighters/Divers cause they have weird weapons and poo poo. (Just built the 00 Shia Qan[t] yesterday because of whatever the hell you call the weird shoulder piece slash flight pack thing it has, and also my local store actually got the RG Nu in but for $40 more than HLJ... I'll just wait)

So the only RGs I've built are fairly recent ones: the Tallgeese and the Build Strike Full Package, both super fun builds, but as I haven't done an older kit I don't know what the complaints are about regarding the inner frames and the poseable hands. What's wrong with the hands, do they fall apart? I was looking forward to getting a gunpla I could pose flipping the bird, because I never grew up. Also I saw that someone on Reddit called the RG Qan[t] the oldest RG that still holds up. Would people here agree? Every so often my store has the RG Astray Red Frame in and I look at it longingly before buying another $15 IBO HG or something. And I don't know jack about Gundam yet but I do already have a soft spot for the Exia but have heard that RG specifically is not good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never really understood the love for the Exia design. It doesn't do much for me and it just looks like a Gundam taking the clown colour scheme even further with its troubadour hat head.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Real Grade is a pretty fantastic kit. But they also did a new High Grade version a few years back that's pretty solid if you'd prefer a simpler build.

Some people are gonna tell you to to get the Titans version. But they're wrong, the AEUG version is better.

The rg Titans Mk. 2 has more parts to let you make the standard or the test version. I'd call that an edge.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Diet Poison posted:

I'm still new to this game; I've bought... 11 gunpla now, all HG and RG cause I'm too cheap to jump to MG, and my favourites are the RGs and stuff from Build Fighters/Divers cause they have weird weapons and poo poo. (Just built the 00 Shia Qan[t] yesterday because of whatever the hell you call the weird shoulder piece slash flight pack thing it has, and also my local store actually got the RG Nu in but for $40 more than HLJ... I'll just wait)

So the only RGs I've built are fairly recent ones: the Tallgeese and the Build Strike Full Package, both super fun builds, but as I haven't done an older kit I don't know what the complaints are about regarding the inner frames and the poseable hands. What's wrong with the hands, do they fall apart? I was looking forward to getting a gunpla I could pose flipping the bird, because I never grew up. Also I saw that someone on Reddit called the RG Qan[t] the oldest RG that still holds up. Would people here agree? Every so often my store has the RG Astray Red Frame in and I look at it longingly before buying another $15 IBO HG or something. And I don't know jack about Gundam yet but I do already have a soft spot for the Exia but have heard that RG specifically is not good.

The RG poseable hands have a free thumb and forefinger, and the other 3 together as a single piece, so no middle finger. Each of those pieces is connected to the palm by a tiny ball joint, and the more I tried top pose the hand the more the 3-finger part kept falling out of its socket.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Diet Poison posted:

I wouldn't agree with that Reddit dude at all. I have three RGs from before that, the MK II, the 00, and Char's Zaku. The MK II and the 00 are both fantastic kits, I absolutely would recommend both of them. The Char's Zaku is a little fiddly. It's not bad, but when I try to pose it I keep getting the front skirt armor caught under the moving thigh plates

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

the RG red frame is great*, it's the only one I keep on my desk to fiddle with.

The pre-molded inner frame eventually loosens up and stops holding weight very well, and you can't disassemble it to tighten the joints.

*as long as you glue the vfin in

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Paragon8 posted:

I don't necessarily think its an east vs west technology gap but Bandai having a very different audience in mind. Some of the best scale model companies in the world are Japanese producing for a Japanese audience so if there was a significant consumer demand for an F-15 with play features and part separation I'm sure they would have filled the gap. Scale modellers in Japan surely know about Gunpla but are still happy to buy Tamiya or Fine Molds kits.

The technology isn't static either in plamo. Stuff like slide moulding especially has really improved the quality of models. Academy (Korean) are doing a lot of interesting stuff there.

i'm not really understanding what despite is doing in this sentence. If the detail and effort put into the kit are present when built what does it matter what the sprue design is?

WW is kind of a fringe example because its also company that expects end users to do their own rigging on WW1 biplanes so I imagine they expect their customers to be able to remove and clean up parts from runners easily.

Yeah I only brought up WnW since I'm unfamiliar with any other western companies out there, besides airfix, italeri, and revell Germany, none of which match WnW's quality. Gate placement, outside of making sure it isnt in a really bad spot or overly thick, doesnt matter as much as making sure the build goes smoothly without any alignment or fitment issues. Crisp details, good mold registration, and lack of flash are also more important than gate cleanup.

Japan still has a lot of plamo brands out there too, like Platz, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Sweet, Zoukei-Mura, and Aoshima. These are all supported by a pretty diverse set of tool and paint manufacturers too. However, I dont think theres any plamo company out there that has the resources that Bandai does.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've never really understood the love for the Exia design. It doesn't do much for me and it just looks like a Gundam taking the clown colour scheme even further with its troubadour hat head.

I was in the same boat until the PG got announced.

For some reason I decided to get the lighting model, maybe it was the complexity or the detail, but it is my favourite build so far.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile the Sakura Wars kits are available for pre-order, and the pink version comes with a Sakura Shingunji figure posed in a pilot position with a cockpit that can be posed open! :takemymoney:

I don't have a particular favorite character or suit but I love the aesthetic of the universe and the absolute chmonky suits.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I need to stop buying back heavy models. Also, the wing assembly on the RG freedom is cool, but it does feel fragile.

Also another right handed only model :smith:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Ochoma Japan - reputable, garbo, or completely unknown as a retailer? They've got some P-Bandai stuff I want at alarmingly reasonable rates.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Ironicus posted:

The exception is those terrible poseable hands that are never ever going back on this thing.

Gonna echo this. The MG hands, while less dexterous than the RG ones, per se, are much more stable. The other joints are cool though.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh yeah. My main complaint about RGs is that no matter how well designed this poo poo is, hands and joints still want to pop off constantly. There are individual finger joints on Justice that just come off for no loving reason whatsoever sometimes and it drives me insane. Consequently, all of my RGs are in poses that use the closed, non-articulated hands.

Potato-quality pics, but my RG Zero has held this pose for a few weeks with no issues, other than one hand drooping occasionally.

While working on this kit I also discovered that the metallic Gundam markers are just transparent enough that you can color the clear plastic bits with them and still shine a light through Zero's head. :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ya'll like goose game memes?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Moola posted:

drat the DLC lookin good. Need an amphibious unit though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Moola posted:

Tallgoose

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

MJP posted:

Meanwhile the Sakura Wars kits are available for pre-order, and the pink version comes with a Sakura Shingunji figure posed in a pilot position with a cockpit that can be posed open! :takemymoney:

I don't have a particular favorite character or suit but I love the aesthetic of the universe and the absolute chmonky suits.

I..wait...WHAT?! I need these in my life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

The original gave its pilots a heart attack, this one gives everybody else a heart attack