Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

sean10mm posted:

Go back on your meds.

E: That was lovely of me, but uh maybe take a break from the thread if you're starting to imagine all kinds of frankly ridiculous apocalyptic poo poo?

wow, eat a dick, dude.

trump's been talking about not leaving office at the end of his term for months now and the concern over a smooth transition of power taking place post-election is pretty broad - even that mook Cohen said as much.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Push El Burrito posted:

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to em".

he's a dumbshit for other reasons ofc

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SocketWrench posted:

What's this? President Deals who filed for bankruptcy some 9 times and has such marvelous ideas of selling overpriced garbage steaks at Sharper Image got bent over and hosed rawdog because he's an incompetent, spineless fucktard? Nooo, fake news man

This is why there is no hope. Because if Donald "I'm selling steaks at Sharper Image!" Trump can accidentally wander his way into the presidency the problem isn't him. The problem is EVERYTHING.

I still think Trump isn't the end of the world. It will be the next millionaire fascist waiting in the wings taking notes who is realizing how easy it is become King of America. I'm sure Karl Rove and Dick Cheney are kept up at night thinking, "If only we had thought bigger."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

olylifter posted:

wow, eat a dick, dude.

trump's been talking about not leaving office at the end of his term for months now and the concern over a smooth transition of power taking place post-election is pretty broad - even that mook Cohen said as much.

To defy electoral defeat or impeachment conviction he’d need strong military support, and if he ever had that this latest stunt has pissed it away.

The transfer of power will absolutely be a shitshow, but because Trump and his entourage are going to just bail without making a transition plan, not because they can stop it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 8, 2019

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Slugworth posted:

I work with someone with a glass eye, and apart from occasionally appearing to have a bit of a lazy eye, it's 100% unnoticeable. Months of working with her daily and not knowing until she mentioned it off-hand. gently caress his ridiculous "my glass eye is distracting" argument.

(Unless someone with more experience with these matters says otherwise, in which case, genuinely my bad)
If you don't properly take care of it the eye and the flesh around it gets pretty gross. I have no problem believing Crenshaw is a very lazy person.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Willo567 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181353199485227008
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181353203465633792

Graham's back to licking Trumps poo poo stained boots

Also, loving lmao at him using the Washington Post as his source - when he was bitching about it last week

So in general, how much lying about legal rights/proceedings for personal gain does one have to do before states seriously consider disbarment? I feel like Graham’s been skating awfully close to the edge these last few months.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
The problem is us, as performance tax:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dr Christmas posted:

I hear about Hillary or Kerry or other liberals being uncharismatic and boring, which is fair, but then people say that for all of right wing media’s many faults, you gotta admit they have a kind of charisma. Then I see Trump’s inane rambling or Tucker Carlson slurping like Hannibal Lector as his neck puffs out of his collar and I think, umm... no? What the hell are you talking about?

How in the loving gently caress did Obama spend his first term getting out-charisma’d by Glenn loving Beck?!

I don't know. It's not about charisma as we normally define it. We need to find a new definition for it. The Rock has charisma. Obama, although I disliked him, had charisma. Trump, Tucker, all these weirdos don't have charisma. I think conservatives just want the shittiest person they can see on tv say the lovely things they believe. Charisma or not. It's not like Tucker Carlson was having a great career up until the last year or so. They just put him on tv and he said what crazy people wanted to hear. Trump was a universally known dumb failure, but then he went on tv and told crazy people what they wanted to hear. I think charisma is irrelevant to them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

empty whippet box posted:

Idk man even if he's on the wrong side politically I don't think it's very cool of you guys to poo poo on someone for how they choose to handle their disability. It's actually ugly of you and you should knock it the gently caress off. If a Republican were doing that to a leftist you'd poo poo yourselves.

gently caress off with this handwringing, even if people were 'making fun of his disability' (they're not) he's a loving lawmaker not some rando on the street. Mocking him for very specifically picking his big tough guy eye patch when he's happy to show off his dumb special made glass eyes for photo ops is fair. He literally just started using 'aw gee I'm just a smol bean who feels insecure about my glass eye' as an excuse when he was campaigning and people rightfully asked 'so uh why do you wear a lovely snake plissken cosplay eyepatch if not for attention'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

So in general, how much lying about legal rights/proceedings for personal gain does one have to do before states seriously consider disbarment? I feel like Graham’s been skating awfully close to the edge these last few months.

Under normal circumstances, why should he care? Senate for life. Hitch your ride to the trump train? New things ahead.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know. It's not about charisma as we normally define it. We need to find a new definition for it. The Rock has charisma. Obama, although I disliked him, had charisma. Trump, Tucker, all these weirdos don't have charisma. I think conservatives just want the shittiest person they can see on tv say the lovely things they believe. Charisma or not. It's not like Tucker Carlson was having a great career up until the last year or so. They just put him on tv and he said what crazy people wanted to hear. Trump was a universally known dumb failure, but then he went on tv and told crazy people what they wanted to hear. I think charisma is irrelevant to them.

lovely people want someone to blame, and permission to openly hate them without shame, and Trump gives them that.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

gently caress off with this handwringing, even if people were 'making fun of his disability' (they're not) he's a loving lawmaker not some rando on the street. Mocking him for very specifically picking his big tough guy eye patch when he's happy to show off his dumb special made glass eyes for photo ops is fair. He literally just started using 'aw gee I'm just a smol bean who feels insecure about my glass eye' as an excuse when he was campaigning and people rightfully asked 'so uh why do you wear a lovely snake plissken cosplay eyepatch if not for attention'

Yep, choose to get famous, choose to get probed (not probated) by the rest of us. Add on the military glory suck off eye hole and he can do what he wants, and also face the social consequences. Legit folks w/patches can defend themselves, for legit reasons.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

sexpig by night posted:

He also suffered this disability from his service, which he uses as a tool to attack marginalized people and push his racist authoritarian bullshit. So, much like when Mitch trips because he suffers effects from polio it's okay to cackle at him because he's a sick piece of poo poo who is trying to make sure people with disabilities don't get the same kind of care and treatment he did.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Strange Poon posted:

He also suffered this disability from his service, which he uses as a tool to attack marginalized people and push his racist authoritarian bullshit. So, much like when Mitch trips because he suffers effects it's okay to laugh at him because he's a sick piece of poo poo who is trying to make sure people with disabilities don't get the same kind of care and treatment he did.

yea it's really simple, if you don't want your flaws to be fair game to laugh at, don't be a shithead. You don't even have to be a good or great person, just not actively a lovely one who's harming others. Dan Crenshaw would not lose a wink of sleep (it's all he gets, you see) over the dignity of the disabled, he was literally admin of a facebook group where WAY worse poo poo about WAY better people than him was said than someone calling him Big Boss' Shittiest Clone

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

olylifter posted:

wow, eat a dick, dude.

My friend, I really think a break from the thread/news/Trump would do you good.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

olylifter posted:

he could gently caress a toddler he'd plucked from the audience onstage at one of his offbrand Nuremberg rallies, the crowd would cheer him on, and 35% of the electorate would find a way to spin it that he was 'owning the libs'.

The best part is that he's not going anywhere. He'll ignore any impeachment proceedings, even if the Senate finds some balls and convicts. Then he'll ignore the outcome of the 2020 elections, claiming foreign interference which in turn negates the veracity of any votes for the Democratic candidate, and will refuse to leave the White House. Even if the SCOTUS finds a spine and orders him to recognize the election, he won't, and he'll call for his people to defend their president.

Picture those bundy morons, x1000, at every major federal building throughout the country. Hundreds of combat-seasoned Timothy McVeighs using their military training to build and detonate carbombs daily.

Holy poo poo America is so utterly hosed it's actually tragic.

This isn't as crazy as some think:

Armed Militias Are Taking Trump’s Civil War Tweets Seriously

Over the weekend, the president sent a tweet that seemed to warn of civil war if he were to be impeached and removed from office:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178477539653771264

Although the president was quoting Pastor Robert Jeffress’s comments on Fox News, he was adopting them as his own.

It might seem tempting to dismiss this language as of a piece with President Trump’s typical Twitter rhetoric. But it is worth paying particular attention to this tweet—because among the people who read it were militia groups enthusiastic about exactly what Trump portended. And while no violence has yet resulted from the president’s tweet, it would be foolish to underestimate the power of Trump’s comments to call rogue militias to action, particularly if there is an impeachment and he continues to use this rhetoric to fan the flames. In the days after his civil war tweet, he went on to use similarly incendiary language, referring to impeachment proceedings as a “COUP.”

Consider the Oath Keepers group, a far-right armed militia. Calling on its 24,000 Twitter followers to read the president’s whole tweet thread, the Oath Keepers account posted:

https://twitter.com/Oathkeepers/status/1178549790847590400

Before this tweet, the Oath Keepers account tweeted that, under the U.S. Constitution, “the militia (that’s us) can be called forth ‘to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions.’ ... “All he has to do is call us up. We WILL answer the call.” Other Oath Keeper tweets also hint at violence: One states that “their favorite rifle is the AR 15.”

More at link.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Consider the Oath Keepers group, a far-right armed militia. Calling on its 24,000 Twitter followers

wow thats a lot of followers

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Just chiming in to say that I actually don’t think Trump making a direct call for violence from his supporters is out of the question at all before this all plays out.

It’ll be one of the last cards he has left to play before he out and out does it, but if you don’t think we’re moving towards that point or that it’s plausible then I guess I just respectfully disagree. And if Trump is at that point of desperation, then that means the wheels have come off even further and still nobody has removed him up to that point, so while certainly not guaranteed, it also doesn’t strike me as unreasonable to believe nobody would then either.

The people who blindly support Trump don’t see the world the way we do. And on top of that, they’re views are often augmented and enhanced by some form of emotional, financial, or physical pain. Or all of the above. This slice of his base is just not rational, plain and simple.

I have no idea what happens if/when he does, probably some stochastic white terrorism of some sorts. Some dumb poo poo that gets quashed.

But Trump refusing to leave office and calling for violence? I can totally see him going there, it doesn’t even seem like a stretch.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

wow thats a lot of followers

It only takes 1 Timothy McVeigh...

Why are so many posters in this thread intent on playing down the threat of violence? While a right-wing militia isn't going to win a stand-up firefight with the US military; they are perfectly capable of wreaking plenty of havoc and hurting plenty of it innocent people. And the President's trying to call them to arms- he will eventually succeed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Prester Jane posted:

Why are so many posters in this thread intent on playing down the threat of violence? While a right-wing militia isn't going to win a stand-up firefight with the US military; they are perfectly capable of wreaking plenty of havoc and hurting plenty of it innocent people. And the President's trying to call them to arms- he will eventually succeed.

Will? Has.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/us/patrick-crusius-el-paso-shooter-manifesto.html

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all those white nationalist militias who were pretty chill and non-violent, until mean old trump came along. drat him!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tokyo reject posted:

Just chiming in to say that I actually don’t think Trump making a direct call for violence from his supporters is out of the question at all before this all plays out.

It’ll be one of the last cards he has left to play before he out and out does it, but if you don’t think we’re moving towards that point or that it’s plausible then I guess I just respectfully disagree. And if Trump is at that point of desperation, then that means the wheels have come off even further and still nobody has removed him up to that point, so while certainly not guaranteed, it also doesn’t strike me as unreasonable to believe nobody would then either.

The people who blindly support Trump don’t see the world the way we do. And on top of that, they’re views are often augmented and enhanced by some form of emotional, financial, or physical pain. Or all of the above. This slice of his base is just not rational, plain and simple.

I have no idea what happens if/when he does, probably some stochastic white terrorism of some sorts. Some dumb poo poo that gets quashed.

But Trump refusing to leave office and calling for violence? I can totally see him going there, it doesn’t even seem like a stretch.

Pretty much that. If Trump goes scorched earth when his term ends (by election or impeachment) and refuses to give up it's not like the military, DoJ, or Secret Service is going to lift a finger to preserve his rule by force. But even if he goes away quietly without a word there will be terrorism in his name, much less if he actively calls for it. There already is now, with him in power.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Prester Jane posted:

You should see the epic threads I have with fellow Jews on Facebook who support Trump unconditionally and see "The Left" as the threat.

I ask them if they can do SIMPLE ARITHMETIC and compare the number of Jews killed by the Alt Right to those killed by "The Left" since Trump took office.

It's loving insane the loyalty of these people to the proponent of White Nationalism.

Just look for Jootube to get a sample.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

there's already a mass shooting like once a week, and trump's incredibly dangerous rhetoric only further fuels in to that

but refusing to leave office is pretty much out the window since the military despises trump and like rule #1 of being dictatorial strongbadman is have the military backing you up and trump can't even do that right

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

luxury handset posted:

all those white nationalist militias who were pretty chill and non-violent, until mean old trump came along. drat him!

Well, they weren't shooting up synagogues for one.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Prester Jane posted:

This is what has me worried.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

...since the military despises trump...

what is this based on?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

what is this based on?

I think they mean the pentagon, not like the entire military

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hey could we not do a left wing turner diaries cosplay? Cool cool.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

Oh hey look, it's the exact same mocking post I've been reading for 4 years whenever anyone tries to bring up the threat that right-wing militias pose.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

what is this based on?

stuff like this

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/11/military-officers-trump/598360/

people who rise to the highest ranks of the military tend to be fairly conservative in outlook and sensitive to the status quo, because wild risk taking gets people killed in a very direct way. this is true for senior bureaucratic leadership in general, but the stakes are higher when you're trying to keep america's weird empire intact without getting your people killed by some impulsive politician who clearly disregards basic knowledge or empathy. i'm not saying the military would prefer not to fight, but it's much, much easier to fight effectively when your boss isn't changing his mind based on what he just saw on television in the last six hours

nobody out there likes having a boss who rules on a whim and can gently caress up your entire day by dumping loads of work on you without consideration to your goals or needs. if you've ever had a boss who wants you to stay late or threatens your job if you don't come in to cover a shift on a friday night with a few hours notice, now imagine this same person is asking you to figure out a way to move billions in hardware and put tens of thousands of your young people's lives at risk for similarly inane and ill considered reasons

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey could we not do a left wing turner diaries cosplay? Cool cool.

late night thread is all about the power fantasies and defensive posting of same

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dave Grool posted:

I think they mean the pentagon, not like the entire military

yeah like brass/officers

overall the entire military i think is closer to an even 50/50 approval split last i saw

stuff like yesterday's greenlight to turkey with the military only finding out via twitter is not endearing and he does this constantly

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Berke Negri posted:

yeah like brass/officers

overall the entire military i think is closer to an even 50/50 approval split last i saw

stuff like yesterday's greenlight to turkey with the military only finding out via twitter is not endearing and he does this constantly

Last I saw was similar but that was ages ago when the administration was less falling apart and he still had more military darlings in the White House. Doubt it's gone up since.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I know someone that wears an eyepatch and I just can't help but think of such a person reading posts like this specifically making fun of his eyepatch, not his politics, not his attitude, but specifically making fun of him for using an eyepatch when he lost an eye and I think you're an rear end in a top hat for it. You can pick up the ugly habits of republicans all you want I guess, I'm not going to.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Killer robot posted:

Last I saw was similar but that was ages ago when the administration was less falling apart and he still had more military darlings in the White House. Doubt it's gone up since.

trump trying to raid military budgets to build his stupid wall and pushing the military to break Posse Comitatus by policing the border also has not helped

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Whats crazy to me about this entire thing is that Russia literally could have layered agents gaining high level intelligence due to being appointed by other, deep level agents,

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm kind of surprised that Susan Collins isn't willing to rock the boat. Her approval rating dropped after the Kavanaugh vote, acting like something other than a party stooge could only help her.

https://twitter.com/laurenduca/status/1181395874620039173

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

luxury handset posted:

You are dense as hell if you cannot grasp the unique threat of right wing terrorists being called to action by The President of the God Damned United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Willo567 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181353199485227008
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181353203465633792

Graham's back to licking Trumps poo poo stained boots

Also, loving lmao at him using the Washington Post as his source - when he was bitching about it last week

You want Trump to confront his accusers? They're the House Democrats. Get his sloppy rear end up in front of the Judiciary Committee if he wants to confront them.