Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Also what’s with safari snapping to the bottom of whatever page I was on if I leave the app for a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

AdmiralViscen posted:

Tab management kind of sucks in general now. If I want to re-sort a tab it will just turn into this popover thing that floats around on my screen. I know how to turn it into a split view but how do I just make it a tab again? You need to hold the tab for 2 seconds to re-sort it but if you accidentally hold it for 3 seconds then it turns into this other thing.

Edit - Actually I guess this floating thing is invoked by moving your finger a bit too high and dropping the tab onto the upper bar instead of into the tab row? It’s easy to do and I can’t figure out how to put it back. Or even to close it. It seems like I can close it by docking it down at the bottom, going back to the home screen, and clicking safari again? What if I want to open Safari but I don’t want to close it lol. I feel like my grandma.

That floaty thing is invoked by sliding from the right. You can close it by sliding it back off to the side. You can also move it to the left edge of the screen if you didn’t figure that out.

That slideover window has a home bar that works 100% just like a home bar. You can swipe up to see all the apps opened there, slide up again to close an app. You can swipe left/right on the bar itself to quickly tab left and right.

I think you can only pull a tab out of the main safari browser to turn into a slideover window but not the other way around.

quote:

Oh and messing around with this little pop-over thing, even on a plain google.com window, forces all my tabs to reload even though I have an iPad Pro 10.5. Does anyone have a video that explains what this thing is supposed to be doing for me?

I mean it’s not really Apple’s fault that websites nowadays take like 5 GB of RAM just to load a page.

I’m just pulling this out of my rear end but I think what might be happening is that iPadOS is now telling websites to give it the desktop version of the site. This is great for Safari when it’s being used like a real app, but on the slideover window it should request the mobile version if it isn’t. It might be that the window has a smaller resource budget and the desktop version of websites have enough JavaScript to crash it.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Also what’s with safari snapping to the bottom of whatever page I was on if I leave the app for a second

This has never happened to me before so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

E: It just occurred to me that the 10.5 iPad Pro doesn’t have FaceID so you might not have ever seen a home bar before, unless all iPads now have it shown on iPadOS?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 2, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Admiral is talking about this:

Open a page in Safari.
Scroll halfway down.
Switch to another app.
Go back to Safari. There’s a chance your page has scrolled to the bottom.

Happens to me often on my 10.5” Pro.

The (apparent) bug that annoys me is that, more often than not, when I use the suggested auto fill for user names and passwords (I.e. suggestions from keychain or 1Password) it won’t bring up the Touchid prompt until I dismiss the keyboard.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yes, that’s right.

After the restore, text message forwarding stopped working correctly also. I am not receiving any SMS texts on my iPad. When i send them from iPad, it says they failed to send on the iPad, but they instantly appear on my phone so they are in fact working. The feature is enabled on my phone also.

What a poo poo experience this has been.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

Pretty bummed with ios13 so far. I was doing a simple google search and it froze up my safari browser. This is kind of odd but not that big a deal, so I force closed it. Well it purged all of my open tabs, something that has never happened to me in a decade of iPad ownership. I had some stuff in there I really wanted, so I did an iCloud restore, but that restored everything except my fuckin tabs.
It's rare but I've had that happen multiple times at least in the last year or so, I forget when it first happened but it's not new, so now I'm bummed that it's still not fixed apparently. Same circumstances, something freezes up or makes Safari unusable in some way, swipe it out of the way to force close it, open up and everything is gone. iCloud restore presumably doesn't work cause it feels like the open tabs are like kinda like a live document with no backup copies. Once you make a change, or they get wiped out in this case, that's it, outside of what still shows up in the current history.

Basically what I'm saying is Safari needs session management so I can save and close the billion tabs I leave open once in a while without fear of them being randomly wiped out one day.

tankadillo posted:

Also, is there any way to open an app to the side if it isn’t already in the dock? It feels really awkward to close an app, open the 2nd app, close that app, open the first app, and then swipe to put the 2nd app to the side.
I've been trying to figure out weirdness like that too. I thought of another way just now but still pretty janky. Once you have the second open, you can drag up the first to the left to do split screen (since it should be in the recents side of the dock at that point), then from there you can use the top grabber on the right/second app to pull it out into the slideover hover window. If that makes sense. Conceptually it feels harder than the way you describe, although technically it saves one step.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think you can only pull a tab out of the main safari browser to turn into a slideover window but not the other way around.
You can but it's weird. There's no way to drag a tab from the slideover view unless you're in the...tab view? The one where pops into a 3D view and shows thumbnails, you can drag those around into whatever other Safari instance. Finnicky tab bar shenanigans notwithstanding.

quote:

I mean it’s not really Apple’s fault that websites nowadays take like 5 GB of RAM just to load a page.

I’m just pulling this out of my rear end but I think what might be happening is that iPadOS is now telling websites to give it the desktop version of the site. This is great for Safari when it’s being used like a real app, but on the slideover window it should request the mobile version if it isn’t. It might be that the window has a smaller resource budget and the desktop version of websites have enough JavaScript to crash it.
Nah it's just something with iOS 13 and/or multi Safari handling, it seems more aggressive about shutting things down. I've seen some complaints on iPhone too with other apps losing state more often than before. With iPad Safari specifically I'm wondering if it might just be closing full screen instances once it's backgrounded with another full instance going? That's the only explanation I can think of for how quickly I've lost state with minimal stuff going. And I'm on an iPad mini still doing mobile sites by default, so it's not the mobile/desktop change either.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

SMS randomly started working again with no changes by me.

Anyone else having an issue where gifs and spoiler bars don’t work right? They stay static unless I scroll the screen. So for a spoiler, I have to tap it and then scroll for it to actually reveal. And for gifs, I need to keep wiggling the screen up and down to make it play out like a flip book. This only happens in safari, not discord or iMessage or anything. I’ve tried mobile and desktop view.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

tuyop posted:

I really like the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S. It does that multi-device thing with Bluetooth and/or a dongle. It has no dongle storage though. It’s also like, a normal size mouse.

Picked one up, this with the keyboard is an amazing combination. About time Apple for implementing this.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Anyone got thoughts on current iPad Air battery life and perf? I’ve got a 10.5” Pro but I’m not married to it.

Current iPad Air is interesting since it works with the keyboard I already have. Promotion display doesn’t matter to me.

I also don’t really care about current pro so just considering upgrading to the Air. How’s battery life relatively speaking?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The difference between the 2017 10.5 iPad Pro and the new Air is not huge and losing the 120hz screen is a step back for me. I’ll probably hold onto my pro for a good while.

Not really sure about the battery life but I don’t think they’ve made the battery larger physically or anything so it will be pretty similar

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
iPad Pro2 is A10X with 4GB of RAM.
iPad Air3 is A12 with 3GB of RAM.

So the Air3 is probably not going to be better for longevity.
Battery life will be better due to having a brand new battery with no cycles on it and the lower power CPU.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

iPad Pro2 is A10X with 4GB of RAM.
iPad Air3 is A12 with 3GB of RAM.

So the Air3 is probably not going to be better for longevity.
Battery life will be better due to having a brand new battery with no cycles on it and the lower power CPU.

Is the A12 not better than the A10X? Number is higher!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
"X" is the Pro CPU signifier with more cores.
You can try to find Geekbench results or whatever, but I'm assuming the A10X will be higher multi and the A12 will be higher single core performance.
Not having enough RAM is usually what kills IOS performance and leads to annoyances like apps restarting as soon as you multitask out of them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

"X" is the Pro CPU signifier with more cores.
You can try to find Geekbench results or whatever, but I'm assuming the A10X will be higher multi and the A12 will be higher single core performance.
Not having enough RAM is usually what kills IOS performance and leads to annoyances like apps restarting as soon as you multitask out of them.

What does multi core performance do on iPads right now? High frame rate support and games?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If the iPhone 11 pro max is any indication the battery life on the new iPad pros is going to be insane.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

MarcusSA posted:

If the iPhone 11 pro max is any indication the battery life on the new iPad pros is going to be insane.

I don’t think the new Pro phones have great battery life because of the processor. They made the phones thicker and shoved in much larger batteries.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
These are all good and excellent points re: 10.5” Pro vs Air.

Since my battery has been just fine I’m gonna hang on to it and see what the new generation of pros brings.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

I am constantly bragging about my 11pro regular battery because it’s better than any smart phone I’ve used by a lot. I can not even turn it off at night and make it two full days of using it constantly. It rivals old 2000s flip phones when you think about how little you actually looked at those with the screen lit.

I’m really hoping we get new iPad pros this month because my home button pro is a little clunky and quick to discharge in comparison. Plus these new screens are gorgeous and I want the Apple Pencil 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will probably pick up whatever Pro comes out on day one for home. At work I have a new MBP and Pro and I use the iPad like 90% of the time while the MBP is tethered to my desk. At home I haven't touched my new MBP for weeks but just use my iPad6 for everything.

Can't wait.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Looking it up, it appears Apple resolved it's contractual issues with Samsung for not ordering enough OLED screens with a 600 million dollar payout.

Imagine what they could have done with all those OLED screens that they couldn't sell on X series phones. Even Samsung's crappy tablet has an OLED screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really bummed out right now, my Macbook Pro is the mid-2015 model and it doesn't work with Sidecar because of silly arbitrary reasons that make no sense. :sigh: I was kinda really looking forward to that feature with the release of Catalina, it's the best feature if you have an iPad.

I wonder if someone might be able to find a way to get Sidecar working on older Macbook Pros.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I said come in! posted:

I am really bummed out right now, my Macbook Pro is the mid-2015 model and it doesn't work with Sidecar because of silly arbitrary reasons that make no sense. :sigh: I was kinda really looking forward to that feature with the release of Catalina, it's the best feature if you have an iPad.

I wonder if someone might be able to find a way to get Sidecar working on older Macbook Pros.

Have seen this but haven’t tried it yet.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rolo posted:

I am constantly bragging about my 11pro regular battery because it’s better than any smart phone I’ve used by a lot. I can not even turn it off at night and make it two full days of using it constantly. It rivals old 2000s flip phones when you think about how little you actually looked at those with the screen lit.

I’m really hoping we get new iPad pros this month because my home button pro is a little clunky and quick to discharge in comparison. Plus these new screens are gorgeous and I want the Apple Pencil 2.

My final-gen home button pro's battery went to poo poo over the past 2-3 months but I can't pull the trigger on a fullsize tablet that omits the split keyboard, I'm not an index finger typer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Siri just reminded me to set my alarm for tomorrow morning with no prompting. I didn’t realize that the ipad was learning behaviour patterns but I can’t say I’m too surprised. Do love how it kept me from being late for work tomorrow.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The arbitrary reason is h.265 hardware encoding/decoding, which isn't actually an arbitrary reason. There's a terminal thing to override the compatibility check, but then it happens all in software so expect poor performance.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Didn't work on my 2015 MBP. Apparently this workaround was removed in one of the betas.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Yeah my MacBook Pro doesn’t support side car either but the reason isn’t really arbitrary, the HVEC hardware support does matter. I haven’t done the terminal hack but apparently performance is pretty bad. The guys behind astropad must have done some software magic with their liquid engine cause it works well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
No Sidecar for this old horse (2013) :(

Blerg what an awkward time to want for a drat laptop upgrade. The keyboards are bullshit, with rumored improvements on the horizon, there are rumored screen size changes coming, and also maaaaaaaaybe an architecture change in the next 2-3 years?

Apple goes through years of relative stasis with the Mac (and iPad, I guess) and then start slapping you for like 2-3 years where a bunch of interesting— and potentially expensive and frustrating if your timings poo poo or you need a replacement—-upgrades and changes come out. Like getting the 2010 MacBook Air vs the 2011.

Gonna sacrifice a large he-goat to the longevity of my computer. May it perform in glory for at least 2 more years.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No Sidecar for this old horse (2013) :(

Blerg what an awkward time to want for a drat laptop upgrade. The keyboards are bullshit, with rumored improvements on the horizon, there are rumored screen size changes coming, and also maaaaaaaaybe an architecture change in the next 2-3 years?

Apple goes through years of relative stasis with the Mac (and iPad, I guess) and then start slapping you for like 2-3 years where a bunch of interesting— and potentially expensive and frustrating if your timings poo poo or you need a replacement—-upgrades and changes come out. Like getting the 2010 MacBook Air vs the 2011.

Gonna sacrifice a large he-goat to the longevity of my computer. May it perform in glory for at least 2 more years.

Yeah mines an early 2013 and I’m both shocked how good it still is and dreading having to make a decision soon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My 2011 iMac and OG iPad Pro are going strong and it genuinely blows my mind. The iMac feels old at times but nowhere near what an 8 year old computer felt like while I was growing up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have a Mac air from 2012, and honestly, I just don’t use it anymore. Some of it is my job, which requires pretty much no word processing, typing, etc. some of it is that my wife has a 2015 pro, and once I saw a retina Mac I now don’t like the Mac Air screen (dumb I know).

But most of it is I just need an internet portal, and for 9.5/10 sites, my iPad / iPhone is fine. 10 years ago I totally could justify paying $1,000 for a laptop, and I got a good run on my Mac Air (it still runs fine). But whenever it kicks the bucket, I don’t think I’m going to be able to justify replacing it.

My wife is the opposite, she loves her Mac Pro, I got her an iPad, and she used it like, twice. Just wants a laptop and iPhone, never liked using an iPad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
M’y parents’ iMac just turned ten. Dad recently, finally, asked me if there was anything to do to ‘’make it faster”. I’ve been yapping about doing an SSD swap for them for years. Not sure if it’s super worth it now, but it’s also a weird annoying time to be new Mac shopping (see my post last night in the iPad thread), esp if you’re the sort of customer who intends to use the machine for years until it dies.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I said come in! posted:

oh god drat it. Neither of my Macs support sidecar, I have been looking forward to that since the announcement. Well fuckin' thanks, Apple. No way I can afford an upgrade just for that at any point in the foreseeable future.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve often thought of putting a SSD in my 2011 iMac, but it requires messing with something like 38 screws and four ribbon connectors. So there’s no SSD in it.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

oh god drat it. Neither of my Macs support sidecar, I have been looking forward to that since the announcement. Well fuckin' thanks, Apple. No way I can afford an upgrade just for that at any point in the foreseeable future.

Same. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yup, my 12" macbook is a 2015 model, so it's the only version that doesn't get sidecar :emo: All sorts of screen sharing/remote desktop apps will run fine on a loving potato so I assume it's an upgrade inducement

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve often thought of putting a SSD in my 2011 iMac, but it requires messing with something like 38 screws and four ribbon connectors. So there’s no SSD in it.

I think I replaced a hard drive in that generation iMac and it’s not the worst thing in the world. You can just slightly open the case without taking off all the ribbons and still reach the hard drive.

And to be clear ‘not the worst thing in the world’ means it was easier than a Mac Mini which was the worst thing in the world.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I guess my next question would be- do I get them a 21” 4K one or go for the 5K? From a performance standpoint even a mid-low range 4K with SSD seems like plenty for their needs, but also no ram door (I know, I’m weird like that) and the bigger nicer display on the 27” seems like way more of a step up than “merely” upgrading everything but the physical size of the display. Also I’m sure my mom would quickly come to really love the big big screen.

Is the very base model 27” gimped or underpowered (like GPUwise or something)? Should I look at pre-2018/2019 models or is the jump in core count worth it for two people still using a 2009 C2D? Clearly they buy these things to last, so I’d spring for whatever makes the most overall sense (ie, spend an extra $200 and get 3 more years out of it) and planning for future OS updates and soforth is important but nobody’s going to be cutting 4K YouTube videos on it.

Edit: poo poo, this is the iPad thread. gently caress. How did I do that? Phoneposting on my way to lunch. My bad.

eames
May 9, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Yup, my 12" macbook is a 2015 model, so it's the only version that doesn't get sidecar :emo: All sorts of screen sharing/remote desktop apps will run fine on a loving potato so I assume it's an upgrade inducement

It’s linked to HVEC hardware encoding features, so it isn’t completely arbitrary. It would likely work with software encoding too but at much higher latencies and an extreme increase in power consumption.

In other news Apple is now officially selling the Microsoft Xbox Controller in their Apple Stores.
I was wondering if they are going to make a small and minimalistic gamepad for Apple Arcade because having a controller really makes recent iPads feel like mobile game consoles, I guess there’s my answer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I figured they would/should at some point. Honestly I’m still surprised it took them this long.

If Apple/Microsoft really wanted to be cool we’d get some special controller colors instead of just black. Maybe ones matching the new iPhones.

If Apple really really wanted to be cool they’d toss a bunch of cash at someone like 8bitDo and get some good, portable controllers. Those SNES-style dual analog ones that are super popular with Switch gamers are way more packable than something like a DualShock. The one thing iOS is missing that Nintendo has down with the joy-cons is bridging the gap between on the go and on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do lightning to LAN adapters actually work for iPads?