Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Like at work I regularly walk into places I've never been before with no ID and no prior booking and nobody gives a poo poo, as long as you look like you know what you're doing. It's always someone else's problem.

It's ridiculously easy to do this sort of thing. I looked up the address of Kojima Productions studios in Japan, got the lift up to their floor and just started wandering around looking at Death Stranding stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

It's ridiculously easy to do this sort of thing. I looked up the address of Kojima Productions studios in Japan, got the lift up to their floor and just started wandering around looking at Death Stranding stuff.

I imagine their office has at least a few patrolling guards with blinders on the side of their heads.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

If there are two of you, wearing overalls and carrying a ladder, you could probably walk unchallenged into the secret Masonic Eyes Wide Shut nuclear bunker underneath #10

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Were you in a box?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Electric cars are their own climate disaster, there just aren't enough for it to be obvious yet. But it's just offshoring the costs again like Germany does with its lovely No Nukes policy (that results in it buying wood pellets from America to burn instead).

Climate change is global, any serious plan to combat it can't afford to get distracted by things that are "zero emissions at point of use" but extremely dirty somewhere else.

Electric cars are lower emission than oil burning ones even if the power is dirty - industrial power plants are better at squeezing energy out of oil than any internal combustion engine - let alone the benefits of clean power powering them. As much as I'd like to, you cannot uproot the last 80 years of planning around the automobile in 10 years, and we need to cut emissions yesterday. That means building electric vehicles now, scaremonging over batteries is pointless - everything costs carbon to make and leaves waste to deal with, not using electric cars over it is he same as refusing to build nuclear because of waste 10000 years down the line.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

That's a new one. One of the XR protestors has strapped herself to a sackbarrow 'to make it as hard as possible to move me'. Something tells me she hasn't thought this through.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
compare the political editor of the BBC reporting government line as fact vs one of their reporters

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1181496465132343296?s=20

https://twitter.com/jennyhillBBC/status/1181512098037338112?s=20

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Trickjaw posted:

That's a new one. One of the XR protestors has strapped herself to a sackbarrow 'to make it as hard as possible to move me'. Something tells me she hasn't thought this through.

LOL checkmate, I've handcuffed myself and locked myself into a prison cell. What now pigs???

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Do exclamation marks appear above devs' heads when they notice you?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Trickjaw posted:

ah, an individualized version of the riot truck from Soylent Green, ideal for the neoliberal subject

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Venomous posted:

Do exclamation marks appear above devs' heads when they notice you?

I did figure that of all studios KojiPro was the one to infiltrate.

Anyway, I purposefully went during Kojima's TGS demonstration, so most of them were watching that. Eventually, a very polite woman offered to show me where the elevators were and I took my cue to leave.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

0755- 4 brave troops bravely turn up in a 4x4 to bravely defend southchurch Lidl and it's strategic car park location

0837- one of them has wandered off to buy some excellent british crack from a prominent local business owner

1044- the remaining three troops are distracted trying to negotiate the services of a nearby sex worker and the 4x4 loses its wheels to enterprising local youths

1323- while visiting local scrap yards to try and find the wheels the squad becomes disoriented and shoots up a pub on the seafront because it looked a bit like a mosque

1412- having sold their assault rifles at cash converters they have a walk up the pier and a portion of chips, but then make the mistake of getting a cheap tattoo by the arches and they rapidly succumb to horrific blood borne diseases soon after

Probably still the most efficient use of her madges armed forces for decades

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd be funny (and perfectly fitting) if Parliament forgets to renew their annual consent to exist.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Steve2911 posted:

I imagine their office has at least a few patrolling guards with blinders on the side of their heads.

Just need to wait for them to yawn

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Necrothatcher posted:

I did figure that of all studios KojiPro was the one to infiltrate.

Anyway, I purposefully went during Kojima's TGS demonstration, so most of them were watching that. Eventually, a very polite woman offered to show me where the elevators were and I took my cue to leave.

By Fultoning a desk and standing on top of it?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Electric cars are lower emission than oil burning ones even if the power is dirty - industrial power plants are better at squeezing energy out of oil than any internal combustion engine - let alone the benefits of clean power powering them. As much as I'd like to, you cannot uproot the last 80 years of planning around the automobile in 10 years, and we need to cut emissions yesterday. That means building electric vehicles now, scaremonging over batteries is pointless - everything costs carbon to make and leaves waste to deal with, not using electric cars over it is he same as refusing to build nuclear because of waste 10000 years down the line.

The electric cars you want aren't even ready for production on the scale that you're asking though. As you said we need to cut emissions yesterday, we don't have time to wait for Elon's magical automated factory to scale up. The most produced electric car is the Leaf at 400,000 units globally over nearly a decade and we have 100x that many vehicles in the UK alone. You're right we should have fixed this with planning years ago, but rail, public transport and cycling really are the only way out of this. Electric cars are just trying to paper over the cracks.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
What happens if (when) Johnson's Queen Speech gets voted down?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Jose posted:

compare the political editor of the BBC reporting government line as fact vs one of their reporters

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1181496465132343296?s=20

https://twitter.com/jennyhillBBC/status/1181512098037338112?s=20

Definitely a trend that the BBC's overseas reporters tend to be better than their domestic counterparts - Jenny Hill, Gary O'Donoghue, Tim Vickery if you want to count him.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Midnight- posted:

What happens if (when) Johnson's Queen Speech gets voted down?

With the way things are going, I think that's when the dead rise from the thames to attack your nearest Greggs with screaming skull catapults.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DesperateDan posted:

0755- 4 brave troops bravely turn up in a 4x4 to bravely defend southchurch Lidl and it's strategic car park location

0837- one of them has wandered off to buy some excellent british crack from a prominent local business owner

1044- the remaining three troops are distracted trying to negotiate the services of a nearby sex worker and the 4x4 loses its wheels to enterprising local youths

1323- while visiting local scrap yards to try and find the wheels the squad becomes disoriented and shoots up a pub on the seafront because it looked a bit like a mosque

1412- having sold their assault rifles at cash converters they have a walk up the pier and a portion of chips, but then make the mistake of getting a cheap tattoo by the arches and they rapidly succumb to horrific blood borne diseases soon after

Probably still the most efficient use of her madges armed forces for decades

According to Wikipedia the UK Armed Forces across Army, Air Force and Navy numbers 190,750. Based on numbers I found in 2017 US study there are currently 87,141 supermarkets in the UK. All of which means every supermarket will have a brave 2.18 troops to protect its wares.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'll only protect the ones in places that people care about.

e: Oh, and in places that are ~prone to violence~ :heritage:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1181519363783974912?s=20

It's extremely, extremely unusual to see any EU official, let alone the Presidency, get so explicit. I imagine the poo poo the UK delegation has been feeding them behind closed doors isn't going down well.

I can think of only one equivalent time and that was the depths of the Greek Crisis, and even then it wasn't this explicit and it was Guy Verhofstadt who isn't nearly as highly placed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

They'll only protect the ones in places that people care about.

Looking forward to the teeside free state of south bank and dormanstown.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Seeing army units outside shops is the dumbest loving timeline

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

According to Wikipedia the UK Armed Forces across Army, Air Force and Navy numbers 190,750. Based on numbers I found in 2017 US study there are currently 87,141 supermarkets in the UK. All of which means every supermarket will have a brave 2.18 troops to protect its wares.

Which is why the first post-Brexit action of Johnson's government will be to bring back the draft to ensure the biscuits of Waitrose are protected at all costs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Seeing army units outside shops is the dumbest loving timeline

I remind people again that the army literally planted an M2 pointing at the entrance to the car park when I went shopping a month or two ago as part of their recruiting squad.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The smaller, more rural Lidls will be the first to be abandoned to the blood hordes. Eventually the troops will withdraw from the town Asdas, then the city Sainsburys, until High Command is consolidated in the deli counter of Finsbury Waitrose

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

I remind people again that the army literally planted an M2 pointing at the entrance to the car park when I went shopping a month or two ago as part of their recruiting squad.

i hope they had land owner permission and deer fencing

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Continuing to run existing petrol vehicles results in fewer carbon emissions than scrapping and replacing them all with electrics, because far and away the biggest carbon cost of a car is manufacturing the chassis.

Stop construction of new fossil fuelled cars and replace those with electrics, sure, but there's no case for retiring existing auto frames early that doesn't argue for simply halting car usage altogether.

To be clear my favoured position is restructuring so people don't need to travel so much. Partly through a reduction in bullshit jobs, partly through fixing housing so it's easier to live closer to work regardless of pay.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 8, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

"You there! Stop all that looting or we shoot!"

"Let us go and you can have the cash and alcohol."

"On your way then mate."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

NewMars posted:

With the way things are going, I think that's when the dead rise from the thames to attack your nearest Greggs with screaming skull catapults.

I'd trust Settra to rule this country better than the Tories.

Joke about undead tyrants goes here.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Wachter posted:

The smaller, more rural Lidls will be the first to be abandoned to the blood hordes. Eventually the troops will withdraw from the town Asdas, then the city Sainsburys, until High Command is consolidated in the deli counter of Finsbury Waitrose

The Führerdelikatessen has a nice ring to it

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

At least you'd expect the undead to have a long term plan.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

The Deleter posted:

I'd trust Settra to rule this country better than the Tories.

Joke about undead tyrants goes here.

Settra would definitely be better than the Tories.

We'd just also have to invade all our neighbors with an army of skeletons riding chariots made out of skeletons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

Only problem with necromancy is that it turns 'kill the poor' into an extremely lucrative economic model.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Only problem with necromancy is that it turns 'kill the poor' into an extremely lucrative economic model.

Are you kidding me? VC economy is crap and the tomb kings economy is even worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Exhuming vampirechat and One Nation vs. Neoliberal Torychat, anyone else reminded of Carpe Jugulum?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rarity posted:

Less than that, they need soldiers for the petrol tankers too. Waitrose and Ocado delivery trucks will be protected, everyone else has to fend for themselves.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Archaeology Hat posted:

Settra would definitely be better than the Tories.

We'd just also have to invade all our neighbors with an army of skeletons riding chariots made out of skeletons.

Finally, the Skeleton War can be made real!

NewMars posted:

Are you kidding me? VC economy is crap and the tomb kings economy is even worse.

Turns out you can't take it with you after all.

Guavanaut posted:

Exhuming vampirechat and One Nation vs. Neoliberal Torychat, anyone else reminded of Carpe Jugulum?

Note one of my favourites but it's solid. Mightily Oats' arc is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1181519363783974912?s=20

It's extremely, extremely unusual to see any EU official, let alone the Presidency, get so explicit. I imagine the poo poo the UK delegation has been feeding them behind closed doors isn't going down well.

I can think of only one equivalent time and that was the depths of the Greek Crisis, and even then it wasn't this explicit and it was Guy Verhofstadt who isn't nearly as highly placed.

We have definitely entered the stage where it's time for the Brexit Gang to burn all the bridges and try to get the consequences of NDB stick on the EU.

The EU Commission meanwhile is trying to play this down in an attempt to keep talks going and to make it clear who is terminating the negotiations.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1181519265129811969