Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I hope he does Spain 1936.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I think he said he's not doing China or other Asian revolutions because he doesn't think he knows the history nearly well enough to make an attempt, which is fair enough. I dunno if he's including Iran or specifically thinking East/Southeast Asia. Cuba seems possible for sure.

He said he wants to do Cuba, yeah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

euphronius posted:

He’s getting there

He was moderate when he started Rome

You love to see him getting more and more radicalized the further the series goes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weirdly his podcast has made me sympathize more with the historical forces of establishment than I did before. Just between some of the big romanticized moments of revolution turning out to be as hollow as the Alamo and the relative cost/benefit ratio of a lot of these big huge moments of violence where a lot of people get killed not actually having much positive effect and in fact, weakening the overall position of the revolution and it seems like they would've gotten further if they stuck to words and taxes.

Like in the latest episode, people doubled down on assassination attempts to prevent reforms in order to keep things worse so that they could maintain popular support for further violence. I just can't sympathize with that. It's the whole ends vs means thing, except the means are transparently ineffective at actually moving towards their stated end.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weirdly his podcast has made me sympathize more with the historical forces of establishment than I did before. Just between some of the big romanticized moments of revolution turning out to be as hollow as the Alamo and the relative cost/benefit ratio of a lot of these big huge moments of violence where a lot of people get killed not actually having much positive effect and in fact, weakening the overall position of the revolution and it seems like they would've gotten further if they stuck to words and taxes.

Like in the latest episode, people doubled down on assassination attempts to prevent reforms in order to keep things worse so that they could maintain popular support for further violence. I just can't sympathize with that. It's the whole ends vs means thing, except the means are transparently ineffective at actually moving towards their stated end.

I feel like we are listening to entirely different podcasts because the one I've been listening to has been nothing but a series of establishments that are only willing to reform or change when directly threatened with violence. On top of that the revolutionaries who shied away from ruthlessly crushing their enemies were all severely punished for their leniency.

Like how do you hear the story of the Zapatistas, the Communards, the 48ers, or the entirety of the Haitian revolution and come away with "actually the establishment would have just listened to reason and reformed eventually". Even the reforms that The People's Will were trying to stop (along with a severe crackdown from the secret police which is probably far more important than the implementation of the reforms) were only undertaken because of the violence they had caused.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

There were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Source your quotes especially when it's a good one.

What most saddens me about these revolutions is the co-opting that happens time and time again by reactionaries and opportunists, and what's worse just how successful they happen to be at it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's Mark Twain in a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not so much that change could always be affected peacefully, sometimes it can't. Sometimes things need to be broken, just very often there are people who break too much, and it seems painfully obvious when people are more interested in breaking things than actually enacting changes. That's how cruel dictatorial regimes can so easily pop up in the middle of what at first seems like a popular uprising, and all too often people try coming away from things trying to cast pointless atrocities as vital to the effort.

Like from his podcast, it sure sounds like the French Revolution went through a lot of change with pretty minimal violence they got all the way through the Estates General and establishing a new elected government of France, but after a point there were basically coups masquerading as popular action to purge political enemies, and from that point on things spiraled away from democracy or any real increases in equality. Mike Duncan's also pretty clear in his statement that the war with Austria was in no way self-defense.

The Zapatistas are actually a perfect example of the unreliability of revolutionary movements, because the whole reason they were stubbornly holding out against everyone was that they had been screwed over multiple times in other big revolutionary events, and if they had went along with Madero or Caranza, they would've continued to be screwed over. You have to jump through philosophical hoops to define some of the people he fought against as non-revolutionary, but they work along similar methods. You have to judge people and things by actions and results, there's no point in getting swept away by empty rhetoric.

On the other side of things, Pancho Villa comes off as a bit of a psychopath that only temporarily came into alignment with positive forces. Bolivar was dedicated to scourging the Spanish beyond any real philosophy, he flipped on the idea of democracy 80% of the way through. 1848 was mostly justified, but at times was wildly mismanaged and there ain't no prizes for good intentions that go nowhere. You gotta call 'em as you see 'em.

And outside of the podcast, I know there are moments when institutional change was made without resorting to violence, just as there's big events of violence comparable to revolutions that don't enact or even intend to enact positive change, so it's worth keeping things in perspective. Sorry about the :words: vomit, just this whole series of thoughts is going through my head constantly with the podcast and every time people start singing about revolutions.

Reign of Terror speech

Like see the thing is there, Mr. Opinions, that the actual Reign of Terror didn't actually focus on the wealthy or nobility, it was just a bunch of expedited executions out of blind paranoia that didn't accomplish anything meaningful that people romantically ascribe principles to that aren't actually evident.

And inventing romantic ideals about big events that weren't there to begin with describes everything about the Alamo.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What most saddens me about these revolutions is the co-opting that happens time and time again by reactionaries and opportunists, and what's worse just how successful they happen to be at it.

Personally, my take is that there's no mystical psychological separation between people who would push for equality/freedom/self-determination and people who would gladly take a dictatorial autocracy if it fell into their hands, which is why you need to constantly need to maintain counterbalances.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's Mark Twain in a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Thanks, it's been years since I read that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like from his podcast, it sure sounds like the French Revolution went through a lot of change with pretty minimal violence they got all the way through the Estates General and establishing a new elected government of France, but after a point there were basically coups masquerading as popular action to purge political enemies, and from that point on things spiraled away from democracy or any real increases in equality. Mike Duncan's also pretty clear in his statement that the war with Austria was in no way self-defense.
The Estates General literally had to arrest the king to keep him from pulling a Charles 1 of England. Threat of violence was necessary at every single point along the way to get any improvement whatsoever. In the French revolution but also all of the other revolutions violence against the establishment was always the inevitable consequence of the establishment refusing to change for any reason except violence. You'll notice in 1848 that all the countries that just gave people a constitution in good faith without a fight avoided Civil War. This does not justify any of cruelties committed by individual revolutionaries, but the revolution was wholly a force of the victim's own making. Same way every single bad thing that happened to the South in the American Civil War was of its own making. Well besides the North's failure to hang Jefferson Davis from a rope until dead, that was just Yankee cowardice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There is a fair amount of conjecture in the idea that the king was spoiling to assemble an army to retake his throne though. It wasn't just the king that was arrested and then executed either, members of the national assembly were purged as well. It just brings out a lot of questions, like what's the point of overthrowing the nominal monarch if you can't be bothered sticking to the democratic principles you're allegedly supposed to be upholding and it all comes down to a dictator without a crown? What's the point of pre-empting war if you're still determined to fight a war that will kill thousands? They still provoked a civil war while in the process of fighting the bulk of Europe.

The south after the Civil War is actually one of the big counterexamples I think of a lot, since that actually involved mob violence in the streets that went on to pull coups against the democratically elected state and local governments in order to assert white rule at the end of reconstruction, and it feels mechanically similar to the later French Revolution purging political opponents and not submitting to democratic process, just assuming approval from Parisan mobs. In the absence of systematic democracy, people can make all the wild claims about public support they want, but it doesn't make it true.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any cool science/geology/energy/something related podcasts yall are listening to?

Already listening to Ask a Spaceman!, Skeptoid, 99% Invisible, Titans of Nuclear. What can ya'll suggest?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

If you like 99% Invisible, Twenty Thousand Hertz might be up your alley as well.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dikkfor posted:

Why did none of you idiots tell me there was a new episode of Inward Empire?

gently caress!

Been listening to the backlog of this and it's real real good

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is there any podcast that serves as a good follow up to the first season of Revolutions? I'm not looking for a whole history of England, though I guess I could jump in for some episodes of that if I have to, but it feels like Duncan only covered half the revolution, and he's even said if he had it all to do over again he'd cover the Glorious Revolution, so I was wondering if there's anything that fills the void kind of like History of Byzantium followed up History of Rome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not so much that change could always be affected peacefully, sometimes it can't. Sometimes things need to be broken, just very often there are people who break too much, and it seems painfully obvious when people are more interested in breaking things than actually enacting changes.
Yes, every period of civil strife hurts some innocent people. What about this makes you sympathetic to the forces that justify greater and more widespread misery on a daily basis?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 30, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Maybe he could do the Zapatista thing? He's already done Mexican obviously, it would be a logical place to end, a circling-back?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just noticed Duncan has been playing with the banner text on his website.

"A weekly podcasting exploring great political revolutions. Now: The Russian Revolution Next: TBD, but definitely not the revolution you want me to cover."

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

"A weekly podcasting exploring great political revolutions. Now: The Russian Revolution Next: TBD, but definitely not the revolution you want me to cover."

He knows something the rest of us don't.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

The great american revolution of 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1182056858313379840

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I’m interested in learning more about the American revolution. Besides revolutions, is there anything else I should check out? I’m also open to audiobooks too.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

mariooncrack posted:

I’m interested in learning more about the American revolution. Besides revolutions, is there anything else I should check out? I’m also open to audiobooks too.

Check out The JuntoCast. The podcast ended years ago but all the episodes are available.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, every period of civil strife hurts some innocent people. What about this makes you sympathetic to the forces that justify greater and more widespread misery on a daily basis?

The "misery" of the ancien regime(s) has always been overhyped, a product of politically hungry bourgeoisie exploiting the lack of status of those below them to justify their own increased political status and power.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Username/post combo. Begone noble scum :thermidor:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

There is an American Revolution podcast currently in progress at https://pod.amrevpodcast.com/ which is shaping up to be pretty exhaustive. ~110 episodes in and it's still in 1776.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Not about the american revolution, but Inward Empire is a really good podcast on specific moments in American history.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Not about the american revolution, but Inward Empire is a really good podcast on specific moments in American history.

If you're interested in the American Revolution then the two-part King Philip's War episode of Inward Empire will probably be interesting to you as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

buglord posted:

Any cool science/geology/energy/something related podcasts yall are listening to?

Already listening to Ask a Spaceman!, Skeptoid, 99% Invisible, Titans of Nuclear. What can ya'll suggest?

Omega Tau, especially if you like aeroplanes.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on 99% Invisible.
I've gotta admit I haven't tried it (yet) but it sounds a bit too pop-sci for me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

~Coxy posted:

I've gotta admit I haven't tried it (yet) but it sounds a bit too pop-sci for me.

I'd compare 99PI to a show like "How it's Made". I've never really had any bombshell revelations while listening to it, it's more just a "Here's a half hour story about something you might not have ever thought about and also I have a great broadcasting voice" type podcast.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

~Coxy posted:

I like it every now and then; the last two episodes I listened to where about some kind of pseudo-automatic diner in NYC that was popular during the mid-century, the other about architectural projects on lava rock in Mexico City of the 1960s. I don't think it strives to be scientific, it's more about architecture and design, made accessible to the layman.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

~Coxy posted:

99% Invisible constantly covers stuff I am interested in, but every time I give it another try I find that rarely learn much more about something than I already knew. It seems always to either be just a little too shallow or they drag out the pace too much for the depth they put in it.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
How did you know about lava rocks in Mexico City?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
99% Invisible also posts the transcript of each episode on their site, so if you don't quite like the way it sounds, you might still like reading through it/enjoy it more with the pictures on each post.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone else listening to Extremeties? Pretty enjoyable overview of civilization in some of the most remote parts of the world.

Season 1 covers Pitcairn Island in the Pacific, and Season 2 is Svalbard.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 18, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ads for American Elections: Wicked Game popped up in some of my other historical podcast. Is it any good?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cervixalot posted:

Anyone else listening to Extremeties? Pretty enjoyable overview of civilization in some of the remote parts of the world.

Season 1 covers Pitcairn Island in the Pacific, and Season 2 is Svalbard.

I’m about to, thanks! That sounds awesome

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

golden bubble posted:

Ads for American Elections: Wicked Game popped up in some of my other historical podcast. Is it any good?

It's not bad so far; they cover a lot of background on the candidates instead of just "and then Pennsylvania voted for this guy, but New York voted for that guy." I definitely like it better than the Presidential podcast Slate(?) did leading up to the 2016 election.

e: It's mostly been about The Great Men behind the elections so far but to be fair they're only up to 1796 so everything is just Washington, Hamilton, Adams, Burr, Jefferson, and Madison trying to dick each other over. It'll be interesting to see if they pivot away from that later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Snowy posted:

I’m about to, thanks! That sounds awesome

Seconding that Extremities sounds right up my alley, thanks for mentioning it.