Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Media aside, majority populations probably also just overestimate minority numbers in their daily life, filtering out the assorted other majority people as background features while taking note of "the other". IIRC, someone did a study in the US where white people thought 10% racial minorities in an area was nicely balanced, while 30% was oppressively diverse - and I doubt we in Europe, despite a different racial history, are better on that front.
There is another similar hypothesis that people just internalise the baseline splits they grew up with and divergence from that baseline is seen as over representation and hence stands out: https://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/perception/how-17-equals-496-the-amazing-multiplying-women.htm

In general there is myriad research about how people are awful at estimating the makeup of groups and populations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Wild Horses posted:

stort lol på att mitt jobb upphandlat mat där prislappen stigit till ca 500 kr för två paket Löfbergs lila
någon borde hamna i gulag för detta

There was a fire at the factory a couple of days ago that might have lead to an increase in the price, even then 500kr is a bit steep.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/varmland/brand-i-lofbergsskrapan-i-karlstad
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/varmland/branden-under-kontroll-8

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I thought Löfbergs lila just existed as a honey pot brand to reveal who had poor taste in sports teams.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eschenique posted:

I thought Löfbergs lila just existed as a honey pot brand to reveal who had poor taste in sports teams.

I thought that's a coffee brand? Also it's actually one of the best store shelf brands imo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nurge posted:

I thought that's a coffee brand? Also it's actually one of the best store shelf brands imo.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Färjestadare spotted.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

stort lol på att mitt jobb upphandlat mat där prislappen stigit till ca 500 kr för två paket Löfbergs lila
någon borde hamna i gulag för detta

Åtminstone bättre än Gevalia

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Åtminstone bättre än Gevalia

When you can stock up on Arvid Nordqvist for 20:- a package at Willys at least a few times a year I am not sure why you’d even consider anything else.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Grinding my owns beans I can't find anything for less than 50 kr per 500 grams.

I checked online if I could order like a 50 kg sack of beans so I'd be set for a few months but coffee beans cost even more online than at the store.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Eschenique posted:

Grinding my owns beans I can't find anything for less than 50 kr per 500 grams.

I checked online if I could order like a 50 kg sack of beans so I'd be set for a few months but coffee beans cost even more online than at the store.

Yeah, the pricing is kind of hosed. I usually pay well over 100:- for a kg of beans for the espresso machine. But ground coffee is seemingly always on sale somewhere.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
yeah but how can it be MORE EXPENSIVE to buy large amounts (very large amounts) of coffee at the same time, every week, every month?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

yeah but how can it be MORE EXPENSIVE to buy large amounts (very large amounts) of coffee at the same time, every week, every month?
Because prices are what stores think they can get away with. But if you want: So few people buy those large amounts that it costs them more to set those up and moving larger and heavier stuff is expensive.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/uppsala/ny-lag-ska-hoja-katters-status-katten-ar-en-familjemedlem

Making it a law to ID-mark your cat is actually a great idea, it wouldn't solve all the problems but it would solve some of them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Wild Horses posted:

It's a scam that companies for some weird reason always fall for. Maybe it's laziness?

There's a Office Depot shop in town that mainly caters to companies, which means that everything they sell is extremely overpriced. As in 10 SEK for an eraser and 50 SEK for a box of ginger bread cookies around Christmas, when you can get the same for 15 in any food store in town. It should not exist, but it does.

It's the same at my office. They're paying 3 or 4 times as much for everything compared to a supermarket, be it soap or fruit, just to have it delivered. It's insane, but somehow it's a common thing.

E: another company scam - fruit baskets. Sell them to offices at a flat rate all across the year. Then just cram it full of the fruit that is the cheapest currently. That's why we end up with mostly oranges and apples most of the time in ours.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 6, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

that'd be ok if it was a private company, but it's landstingets money so im a bit upset.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

that'd be ok if it was a private company, but it's landstingets money so im a bit upset.

Oh you sweet summer child have you never heard of Lagen om offentlig upphandling (LOU)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Wild Horses posted:

Government places are contractually obliged to buy at ridiculous prices. My mom was a teacher and one time she needed a few packs of flour for a class so she went and bought them at the store, and she got a lot of poo poo for doing that instead of going through the proper channels, where it incidentally would also have cost twenty times as much.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Oh you sweet summer child have you never heard of Lagen om offentlig upphandling (LOU)

I’ve read a bit and I can sort of understand ok there’s rules and transparency and the cost can’t increase above a certain threshold... but why is it so goddamned expensive, and why can’t a good deal be made?
Obviously there’s some fuckery here but I’m going to need an explanation
:commissar:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Son of a refugee: Sorry, we're full.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Son of a refugee: Sorry, we're full.

Also seen, how you neutralize DF and keep the right out of power.

In other news, further confirmation that the apathetic asylum seeker kids were munchausen by proxy in order to get asylum and that Gellert Tamas is full of poo poo as expected. Just took 10 years to get there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

I’ve read a bit and I can sort of understand ok there’s rules and transparency and the cost can’t increase above a certain threshold... but why is it so goddamned expensive, and why can’t a good deal be made?
Obviously there’s some fuckery here but I’m going to need an explanation
:commissar:

Bad EU regulation combined with bad neoliberal regulation on overdrive. To give the short version:

Intent: To insure that a breath of actors can compete for public contracts and that politicians don't play favorites. Ostensibly anti-corruption, pro-EU and a good thing.

Reality: A nightmare mess full of favouring bad monopolies, stifling of public flexibility, really bad contracts, very costly contract procedures, costly contract enforcement and alarming amounts of corruption.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cardiac posted:

Also seen, how you neutralize DF and keep the right out of power.

You can’t possible be this stupid. If that worked DF would have been neutralized and our of power 20 years ago. Oh wait, I forget, you don’t actually want to keep the racist right out of power.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

S undergoing a full transformation into secular nationalists does seem to have undercut DF's support base; some of the same effect can be seen with Senterpartiet in norway. the issue is that we on the left aren't super keen on secular nationalists because they're still national chauvinists who, contrary to what they say, have no real objection to untold deaths at the border so long as they can wash their hands somehow

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Bad EU regulation combined with bad neoliberal regulation on overdrive. To give the short version:

Intent: To insure that a breath of actors can compete for public contracts and that politicians don't play favorites. Ostensibly anti-corruption, pro-EU and a good thing.

Reality: A nightmare mess full of favouring bad monopolies, stifling of public flexibility, really bad contracts, very costly contract procedures, costly contract enforcement and alarming amounts of corruption.

This makes me angry and resigned, but mostly resigned.
poo poo feels like a cleaner looking Tangentopoli 2.0

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Wild Horses posted:

This makes me angry and resigned, but mostly resigned.
poo poo feels like a cleaner looking Tangentopoli 2.0

At least take comfort in knowing that you made some anonymous suit in Geneva or wherever slightly richer through your participation in the OPS-model. :)

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
There is also the cost of purchasing something as an organization to consider.

An expense report needs to be made, that has to get approved &c. And the time to do this costs money. If something needs to be payed by invoice it might be a new supplier and that needs to be registered.

Don't underestimate the cost, complexities, and inefficiencies of corporate bureaucracy!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

S undergoing a full transformation into secular nationalists does seem to have undercut DF's support base

They did that way before DF swelled to its largest size yet. I think it's more to do with the refusal to enter into government, the EU funds fraud and more fanatical parties running. Tesfaye is the perfect hollow shell to present this, though. Since the '00s he has been with DKP (M/L), EL and SF. Plus it's not racist if he's part African, obviously.

That's the leader of Nye Borgerlige thanking him in the comments.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Any positive message that could be taken from the erosion of DF was immediately undercut by MF declaring that S had siphoned the voters into their fold and now are obliged to enact nationalist policies because their mandate comes from DF voters.

It sure was a special feeling to watch her parliament opening speech and be told that I should get the gently caress out of her country. I don't think any of her predecessors ever said anything that direct on their first day.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

But at least EL tore out all of its teeth and became establishment for literally no reason, and we got to see Dragsted cry about his dark, dreadful past of standing up to nazis.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp. They've quietly closed down the closest arbetsförmedling to me and smugly direct people towards other municipalities. Doubling the time to commute and increasing the fare price by three or four times depending on which town I "chose" lol. Oh and I received a letter from them asking if I wanted to remain (gotta grab all the chances to improve the statistics) with a short time to reply. No idea if the response letter made it there in time, depends on the post. But at least they weren't as slow as socialsekreterare who takes two weeks from posting to arriving despite having their office about 10km away from where I live. It was so fun to receive a letter with a meeting time three days prior and my response e-mail being autoreplied with "I'm on vacation for four weeks lol".

gently caress everything.
:suicide:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

SplitSoul posted:

That's the leader of Nye Borgerlige thanking him in the comments.

“Jeg vil gerne bede om ‘ting der med 100% sikkerhed viser at du er på fascistholdet’ til 400 kroner Michael.”.

Sidenote: Tesfayes dad had almost definitely been sent home to prison/violence/death if the rules his son is currently spokesperson for had been in effect back then. It’s like the biggest FYGM since Corydon. What a shitbag.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some dumbo smashed a window a burger bar managed by failed Nye Borgerlige candidate Anahita Malakians. There was some controversy surrounding a picture of her with a former Dansk Front organiser. Left-wing rag Information thinks this is exactly like the Kristallnacht, all windows being equal.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Welp. They've quietly closed down the closest arbetsförmedling to me and smugly direct people towards other municipalities. Doubling the time to commute and increasing the fare price by three or four times depending on which town I "chose" lol. Oh and I received a letter from them asking if I wanted to remain (gotta grab all the chances to improve the statistics) with a short time to reply. No idea if the response letter made it there in time, depends on the post. But at least they weren't as slow as socialsekreterare who takes two weeks from posting to arriving despite having their office about 10km away from where I live. It was so fun to receive a letter with a meeting time three days prior and my response e-mail being autoreplied with "I'm on vacation for four weeks lol".

gently caress everything.
:suicide:

Good god, my condolences. I’m lucky that I have one downtown but I’ve heard horror stories as to how useless they are, among their poo poo campaign they had recently.

The vacation auto reply is Swedish_bureaucracy.txt, as I’ve learned.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BUILD THE WALL DRAW-BRIDGE

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/regeringen-indfoerer-graensekontrol-fra-sverige-til-danmark

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
For once I actually can't blame the danes - I don't want to get blown up either.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

teen witch posted:

Good god, my condolences. I’m lucky that I have one downtown but I’ve heard horror stories as to how useless they are, among their poo poo campaign they had recently.

The vacation auto reply is Swedish_bureaucracy.txt, as I’ve learned.
Thanks.

I suspect the main reason they are useless is because they have nowhere near the resources they need.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Thankfully my local arbetsförmedling has remained open and still has the same one(!) arbetsförmedlare they have had for like 10 years.

Chillest guy ever. The times I had to use him we met once every 6 months or so and in between that I just emailed in what I had been done on a monthly basis. He emphasized that I should just fill in a bunch of crap like "called X and checked if they needed people" and if I could put in 5-10 of those lines per month on my report then everything was cool.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

Some dumbo smashed a window a burger bar managed by failed Nye Borgerlige candidate Anahita Malakians. There was some controversy surrounding a picture of her with a former Dansk Front organiser. Left-wing rag Information thinks this is exactly like the Kristallnacht, all windows being equal.

Malakian? As in System of a Down Malakian?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Poil posted:

I suspect the main reason they are useless is because they have nowhere near the resources they need.

Nah, the main reason is that for decades the primary goal of these institutions has not been to render aid, but to dissuade use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

thotsky posted:

Nah, the main reason is that for decades the primary goal of these institutions has not been to render aid, but to dissuade use.

this is absolutely vital. a huge part of the contemporary right's ethical project is the belief that state dependency is morally corrupting and that making it as hard as possible to access ensures that those who really need it become recipients. this logic is typically justified by a rather vulgar social economic argument about incentive structures etc, completely

at some point racism became a big part of the unstated support for this stuff as well, of course, imported from the anglosphere like everything that's happened in scandinavia for the last thirty years