Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ryde posted:

I’m a high earner and pretty frugal. When you have half of America crowing about personal responsibility and slashing safety nets while throwing the poor under the bus, you can bet I’m going to shamelessly prepare my finances for the worst case. I’m literally doing what the right days I should be doing and then they’re like “no not like that”.

Don't forget the ripple effects of the lack of a social safety net, where our parents and siblings are also hosed if something happens!

I gave my brother (who is six months out from battling an opiate addiction due to prescribed oxy) and my mom (who was a lifelong executive that had her savings drained in a divorce and doesn't have a degree so she now makes sandwiches at a deli) about $8k last year so they didn't get evicted or die. I cashed out my meager 401k and emptied my savings to pay their rent and groceries while he recovered and they both tried to find work.

So even if you do the college thing and the capitalist slave thing and the saving and budgeting thing you can still get hosed by our dumb system unless you're totally fine watching family members die in the street. Cool country!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump really isn’t mentally or emotionally prepared to run against any candidate who isn’t literally Hillary again is he?

I mean, he barely was for her, so no anyone who fights back even a slight amount in ways better than 'LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT PEPE' or 'YOU'RE A FAKE BILLIONAIRE' is deeply out of his level

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JuliusGoat/status/1181505114479235072

HMMMMM I WONDER WHY THEY ARENT GOING TO REVEAL THE IDENTITY OF THE WHISTLEBLOWER. Oh well, it will forever be a mystery.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump really isn’t mentally or emotionally prepared to run against any candidate who isn’t literally Hillary again is he?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ryde posted:

I’m a high earner and pretty frugal. When you have half of America crowing about personal responsibility and slashing safety nets while throwing the poor under the bus, you can bet I’m going to shamelessly prepare my finances for the worst case. I’m literally doing what the right says I should be doing and then they’re like “no not like that”.

Also those measures of savings rate include 401k contributions so the savings rate is also going to pick up people planning for the GOP's state's goal of gutting social security.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliusGoat/status/1181505114479235072

HMMMMM I WONDER WHY THEY ARENT GOING TO REVEAL THE IDENTITY OF THE WHISTLEBLOWER. Oh well, it will forever be a mystery.
:iiam:

https://twitter.com/booksnips/status/1181541172201656321

:ms:

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

They’re already going after her. She stated she was fired from her teaching job for being pregnant in the 70s. People have dug up some info that may not line up with her statement and are saying it’s a lie. Kindve popping off on twitter right now. The GOPs attempt to salt the Earth to bring everyone down to Trumps level.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
For sure. Literally everyone I’ve talked to is planning for retirement assuming no social security.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Tuff Scrote posted:

They’re already going after her. She stated she was fired from her teaching job for being pregnant in the 70s. People have dug up some info that may not line up with her statement and are saying it’s a lie. Kindve popping off on twitter right now. The GOPs attempt to salt the Earth to bring everyone down to Trumps level.

She's campaigning better than I expected, but I think the HRC smears were an ideal practice run for the GOP to fight Warren and that makes me sad.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

Pharma companies are luring Mexicans across the border to donate blood plasma at the risk of their health
So Big Pharma is luring people across the border with a "bring a friend bonus" to donate plasma because the united states have abysmal regulations regarding blood donations. Things are so loving lovely in this country that people are draining themselves of blood to get by so companies can profit

Nothing to see here but a young woman literally draining her life force for a company's profit margins.

I feel the same way when the "blood bus" pulls up outside of work and they start hounding us to donate blood. The companies take my blood, givee a t shirt and a cookie, then sell the blood at a ridiculous margin to patients who needs it. If my donated blood was actually given to someone who needed it and not sold, I'd be game.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The presidential debates is gonna be a massacre regardless of who he is challenged by. His staff will likely fight tooth and nail to prevent him from participating but that would make the big fat baby look weak so he’ll show up, sniff a whole bunch and incriminate himself on live television.

I’ve already brought up the prediction of him using a slur openly before the year is over. Here’s another one: he’ll threaten a presidential candidate with imprisonment on live television next year.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tuff Scrote posted:

The thing is.. she didn't even really say she was fired. It was a pretty ambiguous statement that might imply she was fired.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm nto sure if this got put together in the thread yet, but Trump blocked Sondeland's testimony after whatsapp messages were turned over to the State Department.

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/1181583611075674113?s=20

and of course

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1181563374922014720?s=20

so something was in there that Pompeo didn't want getting out and he told Trump.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Screw it; this is primary chat and doesn't belong here.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

What's behind the paywall?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

The thing is.. she didn't even really say she was fired. It was a pretty ambiguous statement that might imply she was fired.

Stuff like that never stopped the character assassination of Al Gore.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He wasn't the first time around. That's not the problem, his voters are. Trump is probably a pant shitter, a definite narcissist, and extremely stupid to boot, and none of this is a secret to anyone, but his voters don't care.

He will probably skip the debates next year saying he is too good/suppressing right wing speech/too busy being president to waste his time/fart whatever anyway.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Remember Paul Ryan getting asked if prepping for a debate was helpful and he thought it was the funniest drat thing.

Wonder what happened to him after that?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

Stuff like that never stopped the character assassination of Al Gore.

Yeah it's the unfortunate scenario where Republicans are allowed to lie blatantly and with impunity but if anybody else makes a claim that might be slightly ambiguous then they should be lynched for being dishonest creeps.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Here's the main bit that explains what happened:

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Senate Intelligence Committee has concluded that Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee were behind the leak of private text messages between the Senate panel’s top Democrat and a Russian-connected lawyer, according to two congressional officials briefed on the matter.

Senator Richard M. Burr of North Carolina, the committee’s Republican chairman, and Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat, were so perturbed by the leak that they demanded a rare meeting with Speaker Paul D. Ryan last month to inform him of their findings. They used the meeting with Mr. Ryan to raise broader concerns about the direction of the House Intelligence Committee under its chairman, Representative Devin Nunes of California, the officials said.

To the senators, who are overseeing what is effectively the last bipartisan investigation on Capitol Hill into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, the leak was a serious breach of protocol and a partisan attack by one intelligence committee against the other.

The messages between Mr. Warner and Adam Waldman, a Washington lawyer, show that the senator tried for weeks to arrange a meeting with Christopher Steele, the former British spy who assembled a dossier of salacious claims about connections between Mr. Trump, his associates and Russia. The Senate committee has had difficulty making contact with Mr. Steele, whom it views as a key witness. And Mr. Waldman, who knew Mr. Steele, presented himself as a willing partner.

The texts were leaked just days after the same House Republicans had taken the extraordinary step of publicly releasing, over the objections of the F.B.I., a widely disputed memorandum based on sensitive government secrets. Taken together, the actions suggested a pattern of partisanship and unilateral action by the once-bipartisan House panel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Madkal posted:

He will probably skip the debates next year saying he is too good/suppressing right wing speech/too busy being president to waste his time/fart whatever anyway.

I've been wondering about this myself, like I can't imagine even the most ardent of sycophants in his campaign would actually WANT him in a debate against the democratic nominee in his ever-worsening state. But like, are they really going to tell him "no you can't debate that person?" Like how do they present that in a way that doesn't make him barrel headfirst into wanting to debate them for ego reasons?

Plus as someone else said, his performance was terrible last time and you still had plenty of unironic takes of him looking strong, tough, he held is own, won, etc.

He'll do it because in his mind he's a winner.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Madkal posted:

He wasn't the first time around. That's not the problem, his voters are. Trump is probably a pant shitter, a definite narcissist, and extremely stupid to boot, and none of this is a secret to anyone, but his voters don't care.

Skipping the debates would be the one thing he could do that would be worse than going to them. Our media hates it when their normal routine is disrupted and the "Trump is a coward" ads practically write themselves. Plus, he's convinced he won the debates against Hillary, so why wouldn't he debate Warren/Biden/Sanders/whoever?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Skipping the debates would be the one thing he could do that would be worse than going to them. Our media hates it when their normal routine is disrupted and the "Trump is a coward" ads practically write themselves. Plus, he's convinced he won the debates against Hillary, so why wouldn't he debate Warren/Biden/Sanders/whoever?

Fox News and the rest of the Pravda-esque elements of the right wing media in our country will declare victory anyway. He'll go and just do his thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Brony Car posted:

Fox News and the rest of the Pravda-esque elements of the right wing media in our country will declare victory anyway. He'll go and just do his thing.

That’s not nearly enough for him to win especially with everything else now stacked against him.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
He could just hold a rally at the same time as the debates. Then he gets to enjoy himself and insult the person he would be debating without them being able to respond, just the way he likes it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Someone please photoshop this pic to include green hair and Joker makeup.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181573486164230144

Oh great, can't wait for sham hearings followed by "we already testified for the Senate, we don't need to do it again for the House!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

He could just hold a rally at the same time as the debates. Then he gets to enjoy himself and insult the person he would be debating without them being able to respond, just the way he likes it.

He literally did that for one of the Republican primaries debates. It backfired and hurt his polling.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

BigglesSWE posted:

I’ve already brought up the prediction of him using a slur openly before the year is over. Here’s another one: he’ll threaten a presidential candidate with imprisonment on live television next year.
So you are predicting a thing that already happened three years ago?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1181595235618566145

So they are issuing a subpoena after all.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1181594900787339266

So, uh, about that four pages of "Dems bad" talk...

E: beaten, poo poo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bowser posted:

Oh great, can't wait for sham hearings followed by "we already testified for the Senate, we don't need to do it again for the House!"

rudy already chickened out

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/1181591431036715008

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Also, how the hell are we going to get a relatively unbiased population for a town hall debate.

Honestly, I'd prefer if the presenters would load such an event with hostile Trump opponents, so he can waffle and lie and get unhinged when presented with people outside his bubble.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bowser posted:

Someone please photoshop this pic to include green hair and Joker makeup.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Didn't it come out in 2016 that Trump campaign did not pay that patriotic little girls band who opened his rallies.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Also, how the hell are we going to get a relatively unbiased population for a town hall debate.

Honestly, I'd prefer if the presenters would load such an event with hostile Trump opponents, so he can waffle and lie and get unhinged when presented with people outside his bubble.

It’ll be an audience full of Ken Bones.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Is Rudy... checking his privilege?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’ll be an audience full of Ken Bones.

I hate that you made me remember this rear end in a top hat.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Didn't it come out in 2016 that Trump campaign did not pay that patriotic little girls band who opened his rallies.
The only person Trump has ever paid was Stormy Daniels.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Casey Finnigan posted:

"Rodenthar Drothman" posted:

Here's the main bit that explains what happened:
You missed the really telling stuff...

quote:

Fox News published the texts, which were sent via a secure messaging application, in early February. President Trump and other Republicans loyal to him quickly jumped on the report to try to discredit Mr. Warner, suggesting that the senator was acting surreptitiously to try to talk to Mr. Steele.

“Wow! -Senator Mark Warner got caught having extensive contact with a lobbyist for a Russian oligarch,” Mr. Trump wrote at the time. “Warner did not want a ‘paper trail’ on a ‘private’ meeting (in London) he requested with Steele of fraudulent Dossier fame.”

“All tied into Crooked Hillary,” Mr. Trump added.

The Fox News article made prominent mention of work by Mr. Waldman’s Washington lobbying firm on behalf of Oleg V. Deripaska, a Russian aluminum magnate who was once close to Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s indicted former campaign chairman.

Copies of the messages were originally submitted by Mr. Waldman to the Senate committee. In January, one of Mr. Nunes’s staff members requested that copies be shared with the House committee as well, according to a person familiar with the request who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. Days later, the messages were published by Fox News, the person said. Fox’s report said that it had obtained the documents from a Republican source it did not name.

The documents published by Fox News appear to back up the senators’ accusation. Though they were marked “CONFIDENTIAL: Produced to USSSCI on a Confidential Basis,” suggesting that they had come from the Senate panel, known as the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, the person familiar with the congressional requests said that the stamp was misleading and that other markings gave away their actual origin.

Specifically, the copy of the messages shared with the Senate had page numbers, and the one submitted to the House — while preserving the reference to the Senate committee — did not.

A lawyer for Mr. Waldman independently concluded that the House committee had probably shared the document and sent a letter to Mr. Nunes complaining about the leak, according to a person familiar with the letter.

Mr. Burr appeared to make a veiled reference to the texts during a public hearing with the heads of the government’s intelligence agencies last month.

“There have been times where information has found its way out, some of it recent, where it didn’t come from us, but certainly people have portrayed it did,” he said. “And that’s O.K., because you know and we know the security measures we’ve got in place to protect the sensitivity of that material.”

In a statement, a spokesman for Mr. Nunes, Jack Langer, did not dispute that the committee had leaked the messages, but called the premise of this article “absurd.”

“The New York Times, a prominent purveyor of leaks, is highlighting anonymous sources leaking information that accuses Republicans of leaking information,” he said. “I’m not sure if this coverage could possibly get more absurd.”

AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for Mr. Ryan, released a statement after this article was published, saying, “The speaker heard the senators on their concerns and encouraged them to take them up directly with their counterparts.”

In his meeting with the senators, Mr. Ryan told them that he did not run the committee himself, the officials briefed on the encounter said.

Members of the Senate Intelligence Committee were briefed on their conclusions in recent weeks and on the meeting with Mr. Ryan.

In a joint statement, Mr. Burr and Mr. Warner acknowledged the meeting with Mr. Ryan and said they had not requested that the speaker take any specific action.

Mr. Waldman, the lawyer who communicated with Mr. Warner, could not be reached for comment.

The incident makes clear just how far the two intelligence committees — generally considered secretive refuges from the politics of Capitol Hill — have diverged over the course of their Russia investigations.

In the House, Republicans and Democrats have been consumed by partisan sniping, airing grievances on television and in the press, while the pace of witness interviews has slowed to a crawl. Democrats have repeatedly accused Mr. Nunes of using his position to protect Mr. Trump from the investigation.

The House committee spent much of the last month locked in a bitter dispute over the secret Republican memorandum, which accused top F.B.I. and Justice Department officials of abusing their powers to spy on one of Mr. Trump’s former campaign advisers. Republicans released the document over the objections of the Justice Department and the F.B.I., which warned in a rare public statement that it was dangerously misleading.

Democrats called the document reckless and said it was merely a political tool to tarnish the agencies investigating Mr. Trump’s potential ties to Russia. They eventually released their own memo, drawn from the same underlying material, rebutting it.

The Senate committee has conducted its investigation primarily in private, and Mr. Burr and Mr. Warner remained in lock step both publicly and privately. When Fox News published Mr. Warner’s texts, for example, an aide to Mr. Burr told the network that he had been aware of Mr. Warner’s contacts with Mr. Waldman, and the two senators issued a joint statement condemning the leak.

Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida and another member of the Intelligence Committee, also defended Mr. Warner.

And while Mr. Nunes’s memo consumed Republicans in the House, as well as officials in the White House, Mr. Burr largely steered clear of it. He told CNN it ought not to have been released, and in private he discounted it.

In the hearing with the intelligence chiefs last month, he sought to draw a distinction between his committee’s approach and that of the House.

“I promised you when we started a year ago that the sensitive nature of that material would, in fact, be protected,” he said. “The vice chairman and I have done everything in our power to do that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Figured they would. Some folks here were jumping the gun a bit with all that "Dems are a waste" talk.