Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Fitbit says I need 8 hours of sleep. Who am I to argue with Fitbit?

It's always frustrating to check how much sleep I got and see that despite being sound asleep from , say 1030 to 630 I got woken up multiple times by a kid and cats and to piss and etc and got sub 7 or something

I think my one gift is the opposite of yuns - I can immediately fall asleep every time I go to bed, and sleep soundly until my alarm at which point I wake up instantly. I also take long (2-3hr) naps easily when they're available
If I lived alone without pets and no alarm I could probably sleep 70 hours a week. And this is with me powering through a half dozen cups of coffee a day plus often having some at night before bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

mastershakeman posted:

It's always frustrating to check how much sleep I got and see that despite being sound asleep from , say 1030 to 630 I got woken up multiple times by a kid and cats and to piss and etc and got sub 7 or something

I think my one gift is the opposite of yuns - I can immediately fall asleep every time I go to bed, and sleep soundly until my alarm at which point I wake up instantly. I also take long (2-3hr) naps easily when they're available
If I lived alone without pets and no alarm I could probably sleep 70 hours a week. And this is with me powering through a half dozen cups of coffee a day plus often having some at night before bed

I am firmly convinced that wholly separate from nutrition, exercise, etc., that people are just born with different energy levels.

There were people at my firm who just didn't turn off. And I could tell they weren't miserably tired. They just literally had more energy/juice than most other human beings. It wasn't some type of stimulants thing - I've met these people who simply always seem to need to be doing something to burn off their excess energy (mental, not just physical), and it never seems to stop.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

My experience is similar, but I have noticed that when I have cut back on caffeine, the ability/desire to nap diminished. That amount of caffeine is likely tiring you more than it's wiring you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can maybe do 6 things a year so . Don’t be wired like me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

Same, but I just can't nap. Even when I have time. I can't fall asleep anywhere, anytime. If I do nap, it's because I'm exhausted and then I wake up feeling like poo poo. Before kids, I couldn't even fall asleep at night easily. That has changed since kids. Thanks, kids! With dogs, kids, having to piss, or heartburn I probably get 5-7 hours a night. Waking up is hard for me. I don't and never have been able to pop right out of bed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SlyFrog posted:

I am firmly convinced that wholly separate from nutrition, exercise, etc., that people are just born with different energy levels.

There were people at my firm who just didn't turn off. And I could tell they weren't miserably tired. They just literally had more energy/juice than most other human beings. It wasn't some type of stimulants thing - I've met these people who simply always seem to need to be doing something to burn off their excess energy (mental, not just physical), and it never seems to stop.

those people are just always poppin pills. I sleep like a log for 8 hours straight as long as I stick to my exercise regimen, don't drink any booze, and am in my own bed. Most days I wake up feeling relaxed and collected with nary a care in the world. I maybe spent a little too much on my extremely luxurious mattress, high threadcount sheets, multiple pillows of varying types and a nice down comforter, but I really like my bed.

Gonna hold of on having any kids until we have nanny robots after the water wars.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 8, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why would any law student resort to speed when mountains of adderall are cheaper and handed out like candy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Though there is one story about a lawyer walking into a courthouse with a crack pipe

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Phi230 posted:

Though there is one story about a lawyer walking into a courthouse with a crack pipe

I prefer to think of it as a matter of individuality

In the land of addy daddies the methhead is king

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Jeb!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I think my one gift is the opposite of yuns - I can immediately fall asleep every time I go to bed, and sleep soundly until my alarm at which point I wake up instantly.

This feels like a superpower to me. I need several hours to unwind and do bullshit before I can lay down for 20-30 minutes to try and go to sleep.

Up until I was about 30, probably one night a month I would just say "gently caress it" and stay up all night.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I put a podcast in an usually fall asleep in less than 5 minutes

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In other news, Cow trial is in the books, and Judge wants attorneys fees submitted by affidavit, and ruling will come down before the end of the week.

I questioned a vet on the 1,200 to 1,400 cows who's rear end he stuck his arm up during the final week of October, 2017, and did cross on a guy named "Red Bone."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

This feels like a superpower to me. I need several hours to unwind and do bullshit before I can lay down for 20-30 minutes to try and go to sleep.

Up until I was about 30, probably one night a month I would just say "gently caress it" and stay up all night.

Have you tried a night cap (read: drinking heavily)?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Drinking is extremely bad for sleep

Don’t fall
Into that trap

I love you goon lawyer sisters and brothers

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm afraid this might get me ousted from the Kool Kids, uhhh Group, but I don't really drink. The last time I had any booze was like over a year ago and I only remember because it was an event my wife was putting on that had wine tasting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

alcohol may help you fall asleep but it means you get less restful sleep

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

If I drink even 1 beer before bed now, I'm guaranteed to have to wake up to pee and probably have heartburn. Getting old sucks. I enjoy beer and wine. I just like sleep a lot more.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

blarzgh posted:

In other news, Cow trial is in the books, and Judge wants attorneys fees submitted by affidavit, and ruling will come down before the end of the week.

I questioned a vet on the 1,200 to 1,400 cows who's rear end he stuck his arm up during the final week of October, 2017, and did cross on a guy named "Red Bone."

Don’t doxx me

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
A lawyer wrote this

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/statu...agenumber%3D844

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I'm afraid this might get me ousted from the Kool Kids, uhhh Group, but I don't really drink. The last time I had any booze was like over a year ago and I only remember because it was an event my wife was putting on that had wine tasting.

I'm all seriousness, you could try some basic OtC sleep aids.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Good thing the president doesn’t get to decide when and how he is impeached.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I thought after Benghazi the precedent was set Congress could investigate the President for any old bad faith bullshit they choose.

Oh, only Democratic presidents. My bad.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vox Nihili posted:

They all turn out to have side effects like dementia.

https://www.aarp.org/health/dementia/info-2019/dementia-sleep-medication.html

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I love our stupid country and it's myriad constitutional crisis

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I love our stupid country and it's myriad constitutional crises

Fixed your singular use of crisis there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I love our stupid country and its myriad constitutional crises

Fixed your non-possessive use of it's there.

Trump has fomented myriad grammatical crises as well.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 8, 2019

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I get about seven hours of sleep per night. If I could, I'd get about 10 per night.

When I get to work in the morning, I mostly stare and respond to emails that don't require much thought. From about 10-11:30 I'm super productive. Then I get hungry and go eat lunch. After lunch I mostly stare and respond to emails that don't require much thought for 30 minutes. From about 1:30 to 4:30, I'm locked in. Then I start getting tired and slowly get more and more tired until I fall asleep for the night. I'm good for about 4.5 hours of work a day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looks like Stephen Miller not a lawyer

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Then smoke some weed. And don't start in on how THC also fucks up your cognitive functions. Goddamn you people are pussies. I'm prescribing 100 ccs of bourbon, two long drags on the most toxic bootleg THC vape you can find, and a pair of Benadryls. Call me in the morning.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’m not sure if this has been raised yet, but why aren’t the judges and opposing counsel or anyone really referring these lawyers that participate in this horseshit to the bar? I guess it was hard to ding mob lawyers on ethical grounds too, but at least give them some consequences to consider.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there one single best book for criminal rules of evidence and procedure? Trying to re-teach myself all the things I've forgotten since law school.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m not sure if this has been raised yet, but why aren’t the judges and opposing counsel or anyone really referring these lawyers that participate in this horseshit to the bar? I guess it was hard to ding mob lawyers on ethical grounds too, but at least give them some consequences to consider.

Several of Bush's lawyers were reported for ethics violations.

quote:

he Department of Justice's Office of Professional Responsibility concluded in a 261-page report dated July 29, 2009, that Yoo committed "intentional professional misconduct" when he "knowingly failed to provide a thorough, objective, and candid interpretation of the law", and it recommended a referral to the Pennsylvania Bar for disciplinary action.[77][78] But, David Margolis, a career Justice attorney,[79] in a Memorandum dated January 5, 2010, countermanded the recommended referral.[80] While Margolis was careful to avoid "an endorsement of the legal work," which he said was "flawed" and "contained errors more than minor", concluding that Yoo had exercised "poor judgment", he did not find "professional misconduct" sufficient to authorize OPR "to refer its findings to the state bar disciplinary authorities".[80]

Yoo contended that the OPR had shown "rank bias and sheer incompetence", intended to "smear my reputation", and that Margolis "completely rejected its recommendations".[81]

Although stopping short of referral to the bar, Margolis had also written:

[Yoo's and Bybee's] memoranda represent an unfortunate chapter in the history of the Office of Legal Counsel. While I have declined to adopt OPR's findings of misconduct, I fear that John Yoo's loyalty to his own ideology and convictions clouded his view of his obligation to his client and led him to author opinions which reflected his own extreme, although sincerely held, views of executive power while speaking for an institutional client.[80]

Margolis's decision not to refer Yoo to the bar for discipline was criticized by numerous commentators.[82][83][84][85]

Publications

It's the Kavanaugh Problem: once you're successful enough and sit in power, no amount of unethical conduct can ever disbar you.

My state supreme court, the old Chief Justice who retired recently had had multiple DUI arrests while serving on the supreme court bench. No convictions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there one single best book for criminal rules of evidence and procedure? Trying to re-teach myself all the things I've forgotten since law school.

It's going to depend on your state since every state has its own bullshit cases and exceptions and weird privileges.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I think most states have a "[Name] on Evidence" book. (Here, it's Whinery) Anything jurisdictionally broader is going to be of limited use to a practitioner.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah but do the flags in the House have gold fringes or not?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

It's going to depend on your state since every state has its own bullshit cases and exceptions and weird privileges.

Yeah, unfortunately I've been asking around my new PD's office and haven't gotten a good local answer yet.

edit: dammit, I think I found the answer. My local magistrate court chief judge wrote his own evidence book. So, that goes on the trial table.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 9, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Yeah, unfortunately I've been asking around my new PD's office and haven't gotten a good local answer yet.

Ask the appellate folks. Do you have any in the office?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

Then smoke some weed. And don't start in on how THC also fucks up your cognitive functions. Goddamn you people are pussies. I'm prescribing 100 ccs of bourbon, two long drags on the most toxic bootleg THC vape you can find, and a pair of Benadryls. Call me in the morning.

Seconding this. Did nothing but drink and do edibles in Vegas. Slept like a baby for 4 nights. Most restorative trip I’ve had in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not tired during the day (except when I eat a fuckton of Mexican food for lunch), I'm satisfied with the quality and amount of sleep I get, I just can't shut my loving brain off to get started on it at night. Always been like that.