Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Having read Todd Phillips bitchy comments about why he made this movie I don't think he realized what he ended up making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

1glitch0 posted:

Having read Todd Phillips bitchy comments about why he made this movie I don't think he realized what he ended up making.

Nonsense, I'm sure the guy whose comedy ouvre was dudebros saying things like "paging dr. [slur]" and pantoming a baby jerking off has an incredibly nuanced understanding of human psychology.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I feel Joaquin's performance as the Joker, I suppose as he was fully becoming the Joker on the talk show, was heavily influenced by Divine.
"They couldn't carry a tune to save their lives"

And like, his speech is like a whinier version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOWIMJkKpc
and the whole, Live Homicide

moana posted:

The water trickling out of the flower in the first scene where he gets beaten up.

Yeah I loved that bit, probably easy to miss, but really sets the tone.
Like, things keep getting set up that could be jokes, but are just awkward and sad.

Overall it was alright, no surprise Joaquin was fantastic, at times felt more shiny than grimey, or maybe just too modern, I don't know.
Making the violence so brutal and visceral was a good move, and it has probably the best representation of tinnitus i've heard in a movie!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like calling the Hangover movies endorsements of their characters' behavior is kind of reductive, the series is pretty blunt and clear that it's about huge pieces of poo poo and 2 actively tries as hard as it can to torch any shred of likability the audience might've seen

They're black comedy that got taken as straight frat-bro-comedy, essentially

Like I kind of get where Phillips is generally coming from because, like, "here's a terrible person, look how lovely they are" sums up most of his movies, people really should have assumed at least a little more good faith on this than they did

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It managed to be cinema, art even, which puts it head and shoulders above anything ever to come out of The MCU. It wasn’t brilliant but it was pretty good.

it was a good movie that a bunch of people want to tell everyone how much better they are than someone that liked the movie

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like calling the Hangover movies endorsements of their characters' behavior is kind of reductive, the series is pretty blunt and clear that it's about huge pieces of poo poo and 2 actively tries as hard as it can to torch any shred of likability the audience might've seen

Like I kind of get where Phillips is generally coming from because, like, "here's a terrible person, look how lovely they are" sums up most of his movies, people really should have assumed at least a little more good faith on this than they did

Hangover 1 definitely wants you to like those characters. Bradley Cooper’s character at the very least.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

well why not posted:

Hangover 1 definitely wants you to like those characters. Bradley Cooper’s character at the very least.

Yeah there's a very clear trajectory from his 1998 documentary Frat House to his 2003 comedy Old School to his 2009 trilogy of Hangover movies where the first one ends with a dude being empowered to tell off his bitch of a fiance and get rich counting cards in vegas and ends with a largely joke-free final entry that is just a drama. Phillips isn't nearly smart of self-aware enough to operate on that level even before you factor in his public diaper-filling about how Political Correctness Gone Mad means he can't do comedy anymore.

StandardFireworks
Sep 24, 2019
Apparently Marc Maron has (rightly) called bullshit on Todd Phillips' "woke culture" complaints on his podcast. Given the backlash Maron got for taking a job in a comic book film after criticising them previously I wonder if he is regretting taking the part.

To be fair, getting paid to say three sentences and meet Robert De Niro was probably a no brainer for him.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm really sick of all these people complaining about PC culture or Cancel Culture or whatever they want to call it when they have made millions more dollars than I will ever see in my life and are complaining about not being heard during their press tours for their new netflix special or the biggest movie in the country. Poor loving babies. I'm so sorry you don't get to have a voice anymore. I hope that the giant check you just cashed from the thing you just made to buy a new mansion helps you though this traumatic time where no one listens to you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing is Hangover 2 was very clearly not an accident and was very clearly Todd Phillips going "what the gently caress you weren't supposed to like these people" as angrily as possible, and that strongly colors how I interpret the first movie

The first movie basically takes a typical bro-comedy "tight-rear end gets into wacky situation, his friends that he initially spurns teach him to loosen up to get out of it" plot, but plays it in a way darker manner than you'd typically see; Bradley Cooper is a "tight-rear end" in that he actually attempts to live up to his responsibilities and not drink his life away into a haze of abusing random people, and his friends are all absolute diarrhea people who largely just finish mutating him into one of themselves, rather than them being rough but largely decent people who cure him of being straight-laced through the power of bro-hood like usual

e: Like I think Phillips used basically the worst possible word choice to describe his situation but, when you look at his complaint in detail, he's basically griping that people won't give him the benefit of the doubt re: making something about garbage people that doesn't endorse garbage people. And most of his filmography has something to do with garbage people in some way or another, I mean dude came out the gate with a loving GG Allin docu, so it's reasonable for this to be a situation he's not exactly thrilled about even if you're on the opposite page.

I also gotta agree, for the record, that he's not really that smart and it's not really incredibly surprising that shitheads took The Hangover the wrong way because it's kind of... too subtle for its own good about this? And then 2 is just so unsubtle it's kind of a shock it actually got released, which is its own kind of impressive but also doesn't really make for an enjoyable movie since it's basically nothing but the cast being horrible people to each other and everyone else around them.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 8, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I struggle to think of a more audacious, uncomfortable moment in a huge tentpole comedy movie than the scene in Hangover 2 where they revisit the nightclub and the sex worker describes what happened. My jaw dropped. That movie is out to get it’s characters.

As for woke comedy arguments, I think Phillips has a half a good point - people would blankly reject The Hangover If it dropped now, let alone old school. But, there is tonnes of PC friendly comedy out there so his point is kinda pointless. Just look at Jump Street or Date Night. No one is called “Doctor human being” in those but they’re not complete hugfests.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Imo the scene where the worst people in the crowd laugh at the midget is who Phillips accidentally attracted to hangover movies and the line between comedy and drama is razor thin

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah I never understood why everyone always goes on about Hangover having a gay slur thats supposed to be funny. I haven't watched the film in years but I'm pretty sure the joke is the main guy embarrassing the others by being a piece of poo poo right.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Sleeveless posted:

Nonsense, I'm sure the guy whose comedy ouvre was dudebros saying things like "paging dr. [slur]" and pantoming a baby jerking off has an incredibly nuanced understanding of human psychology.

The other guy involved in writing those created and wrote a horrifying and nuanced exploration of the human and psychological cost of a disaster this year sooooo

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
The movie's good. Joker did nothing wrong imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I, Butthole posted:

The other guy involved in writing those created and wrote a horrifying and nuanced exploration of the human and psychological cost of a disaster this year sooooo

Not that movie.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I thought it was very good. Not a masterpiece by any means but Phoenix's performance is compelling and it's well crafted. To me, it's streets ahead of all the marvel nonsense. I don't see how critics could rave about endgame and deride this. This seems to be performing well at the box office, hopefully we'll get more character driven comic book films.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

adamarama posted:

I thought it was very good. Not a masterpiece by any means but Phoenix's performance is compelling and it's well crafted. To me, it's streets ahead of all the marvel nonsense. I don't see how critics could rave about endgame and deride this. This seems to be performing well at the box office, hopefully we'll get more character driven comic book films.

What critics are deriding this? It seems really popular. Like there is some level of "why did they make a pro-mass violent loner movie in 2019???" stuff and maybe some pretentious "this movie was good but let me tell you how much better I am than people that like it" reviews, but it seems like all the actual reviews of the movie are near universally positive and even negative reviews are "this movie is really good, but...".

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Plenty of critics slating it, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019/reviews?type=top_critics. It's certainly divisive which is fine. I'm more confused by love for endgame.

adamarama fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 8, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The thing is Hangover 2 was very clearly not an accident and was very clearly Todd Phillips going "what the gently caress you weren't supposed to like these people" as angrily as possible, and that strongly colors how I interpret the first movie

The first movie basically takes a typical bro-comedy "tight-rear end gets into wacky situation, his friends that he initially spurns teach him to loosen up to get out of it" plot, but plays it in a way darker manner than you'd typically see; Bradley Cooper is a "tight-rear end" in that he actually attempts to live up to his responsibilities and not drink his life away into a haze of abusing random people, and his friends are all absolute diarrhea people who largely just finish mutating him into one of themselves, rather than them being rough but largely decent people who cure him of being straight-laced through the power of bro-hood like usual

e: Like I think Phillips used basically the worst possible word choice to describe his situation but, when you look at his complaint in detail, he's basically griping that people won't give him the benefit of the doubt re: making something about garbage people that doesn't endorse garbage people. And most of his filmography has something to do with garbage people in some way or another, I mean dude came out the gate with a loving GG Allin docu, so it's reasonable for this to be a situation he's not exactly thrilled about even if you're on the opposite page.

I also gotta agree, for the record, that he's not really that smart and it's not really incredibly surprising that shitheads took The Hangover the wrong way because it's kind of... too subtle for its own good about this? And then 2 is just so unsubtle it's kind of a shock it actually got released, which is its own kind of impressive but also doesn't really make for an enjoyable movie since it's basically nothing but the cast being horrible people to each other and everyone else around them.

I think the first Hangover is funny for what it is. Old School, not so much. And Hangover 2 I thought was terrible. But it's not because of offensiveness, just it's a bad movie. For various reasons. Ed Helms is pretty bad in everything. Galifianakis was phoning it in. It was the exact same plot as the first. And I think Todd Phillips post-reaction to the movie release are just excuses. It's like when George Lucas started saying the prequels were made for kids. Nah, not really.

Like there's stuff like Always Sunny that does vastly more offensive things than the Hangover movies ever dreamt of doing, but most people don't go after it. The Hangover movies are just lazy and poorly written.

That being said, I like Joker. But I'm annoyed that Phillips has to play the poor victim who can't do his "art" because everyone is so offended these days when he's best known for a very successful trilogy of lovely comedies and the current biggest movie in the world. Like, get off the cross dude. You're doing fine.

It seems whenever any rich dude thinks they are about to lose their career for becoming irrelevant they jump onto the bandwagon of "Well, I would be more successful if it wasn't for everyone being too sensitive and easily offended to get my genius!" And they do this while making millions. It's absurd.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is what it is.

Does feel pretty drat tone-deaf nowadays to do a major release where the anti-hero vigilante only does just murders, continually expresses indifference or joy in murdering, and is shown triumphant at the end because of said murders.

Not that it's a requirement, but at no point does the film suggest what he's doing is wrong, or hurting innocent people. Heck, they even use the phrase "deserves it" repeatedly. It feels like they could have done something at the end to imply that. Or made the psychologist a well meaning but ineffective person.

The end speech was really cringeworthy, intentionally so, but was also shot and acted out like it was a revelation... which is weird. Like, what you're watching is stupid terrible philosophy , but the way it's shot it's served it's like they expect you to agree. It reminded me a lot of Neil Breen's insane ramblings at the end of Pass Thru -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EKHlyF6d90&t=1575s)

It's fine if it does well, and honestly the backlash seems pretty rightfully deserved. It's worth having the conversation about how loner killers are presented in major blockbuster media. Feel bad for Phoenix tho, as he is pretty outstanding.

Edit: Also it's good they're getting poo poo for using the Gary Glitter song. You don't need to pay a living pedophile royalties for a tune when pretty much any "celebration" song would have worked.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 8, 2019

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1181270035957858304

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

wyoming posted:

I feel Joaquin's performance as the Joker, I suppose as he was fully becoming the Joker on the talk show, was heavily influenced by Divine.

I was trying to think of who he was doing, because he was extremely doing a big camp impression, and you've cracked the case

That and the tones of Pekar and you know... Himself from Letterman

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 8, 2019

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

It is what it is.

Does feel pretty drat tone-deaf nowadays to do a major release where the anti-hero vigilante only does just murders, continually expresses indifference or joy in murdering, and is shown triumphant at the end because of said murders.

Not that it's a requirement, but at no point does the film suggest what he's doing is wrong, or hurting innocent people. Heck, they even use the phrase "deserves it" repeatedly. It feels like they could have done something at the end to imply that. Or made the psychologist a well meaning but ineffective person.

This is wild to me.

In the first 30 minutes he follows a woman to her job and then we’re shown later he’s created an elaborate fantasy where she was totally okay with that and actually thinks it’s cute.

Later on during the Murray show even though he’s part of a system that is profiting off the poor and mentally ill he’s still right that “there are good people.”, but Arthur is too far gone at that point.

His “triumph” is that he’s locked up in notoriously lovely Arkham Asylum and has fully embraced being a monster.

I thought the movie was pretty good, nothing out of this world but it doesn’t need to look directly at you and say “hey these things are bad!!”

It reminds me of an argument I got into with someone who told me the Watchmen movie implicitly supported The Comedian torching Vietnamese people in the opening credits because he was smiling and it was in slow motion. You should already know these things are bad!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

Absolutely, he had a lot of his mother in him. Him doing a butoh after killing those guys was also pretty great.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

1glitch0 posted:

It's like when George Lucas started saying the prequels were made for kids. Nah, not really.

hahahahah how is the funniest post in the joker thread about loving star wars

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

It is what it is.

Not that it's a requirement, but at no point does the film suggest what he's doing is wrong, or hurting innocent people.

I feel like the movie has enough confidence in you to realize that murder is wrong.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The more I reflect on this film, the more I like it which is extremely rare for me in a comicbook film.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 8, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this movie makes crime look cool

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

this movie makes crime look cool

Crimes against the rich are cool, boring mundane white-collar crimes are not. Also this movie is definitely going to make some kids start smoking, joker made it look cool as hell

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The score for this movie was very good and reminded me a lot of Johann Johannsson’s work - I looked it up and the composer for Joker, Hildur Guonadottir, actually played cello on a number of Johannsson’s scores.

Edit: She also apparently won an Emmy for Chernobyl too so there’s that. Looking forward to more scores from her

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Crimes against the rich are cool, boring mundane white-collar crimes are not. Also this movie is definitely going to make some kids start smoking, joker made it look cool as hell

Never midnight toked once though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

The score for this movie was very good and reminded me a lot of Johann Johannsson’s work - I looked it up and the composer for Joker, Hildur Guonadottir, actually played cello on a number of Johannsson’s scores.

It's really tragic he died. Kids, please stop doing cocaine. It's full of fentanyl these days.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tart Kitty posted:

Okay, I've been thinking about the movie since seeing it earlier today and I just... don't dig it. Everything about it is good on a technical level; the acting is good, the cinematography is good, Hildur Guðnadóttir's score is amazing (albeit maybe a little derivative of Carter Burwell's work on Fargo?), but it just doesn't gel on a narrative level.

Despite it being a Joker "origin" story, I think it kind of does a bad job at executing that goal in that it feels like there is some significant character stuff missing in relation to how extremely different Arthur acts during the talk show at the end. It's the only time we get the full-on "Joker" Joker in the movie, but it seems to come completely out of nowhere. His inflection changes, the way he inhabits a physical space changes. He becomes sassy, sarcastic. He monologues about A Society or whatever. The Joker we see on the talk show feels like the Joker present in most Batman media, except... I'm not sure where it comes from. We never see those elements bubble up in Arthur earlier in the film, even as he begins to unravel. The closest we get is the "oh I forgot to punch out" bit at the Clown HQ, but... otherwise those personality traits are completely absent. I know somebody's gonna be all "hurrrr he isn't himself until he puts on the makeup" but I call bullshit. The switch flip from awkward, halting Arthur Fleck to Catty Bitch Joker is too clean and sudden. It feels like somebody was like "oh man you better get Joker as gently caress in the last twenty minutes-or-so."

The talk show

The way I saw it he's kind of Joker-ish on the talk show, but he isn't full on criminal genius. Like he's got the physical acting part down, but consistently through the film he seems to have a genuine performance talent when it comes to physical work.

As soon as he opens his mouth he loses control of the interaction though. He does his "knock knock" bit setting up the gun coming out but DeNiros character interrupts with the kind of spur of the moment quip he couldnt have a hope of coming up with and he stumbles.

Then his speech is just rambling nonsense.. Some of his attempts at smart rhetoric genuinely reminded of Elliot Rodger in that kind of try-hard-edgy-loser way. He's smiling but its not cool and collected there is a kind of 'why aren't they laughing?' aspect every time one of his comments bombs.

I liked that the image of The Joker as a magnetic "cool" supervillain was fragile, there are moments when he nails the act and moments he really, really doesn't.

To contrast him against Ledger Joker- Ledger Jokers theatricality always seemed like something he was doing to amuse himself and whenever he monologued you got the impression he'd genuinely thought his philosophy through- when asked why he was doing it he'd give something about how soldiers dying props up the system and moral nihilism blah blah. Wheras this joker is very desperate for approval and while he's a product of his society he hasn't really thought through any kind of commentary, and claims to be apolitical beyond hating mean people. He says he doesn't believe in anything but its hopeless depressing nihlism rather than any kind of empowering kind. Really the joy of inhabiting the performance is what he's doing it for.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The multiple "midget" jokes are pretty much the only ones aside from Arthur's intentionally bad ones. They got chuckles from my audience but it just seemed like crappy punching-down humor. Then there was the sliding door bit, which was just tonally bizarre.

That was intentional I thought. Arthurs fellow clown is a mean person with a mean sense of humour.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 8, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This movie is really great but problematic with them making Joker have a established mental illness and history of abuse because it kind of plays into the mentally ill and abused people can snap at any moment, when in reality most of the time they simply self harm.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Found the guy that Phoenix based his laugh on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk7MdKMfypM

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joker was hilarious and each joke landed well with the audience. I loved the class war and alienation themes, the acting was great, the characters were great, and the shots were great too. The hype is real and anyone who is hating on this film are the probably the same types that agreed with Tipper Gore or Satanic Panic.

Hopefully Hollywood wakes up and realizes that they should stop just making films for nerds and kids and start making movies for adults again.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jascum posted:

Hopefully Hollywood wakes up and realizes that they should stop just making films for nerds and kids and start making movies for adults again.

I mean this is still ultimately a movie about the clown who fights batman

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

what was jokers trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hollismason posted:

This movie is really great but problematic with them making Joker have a established mental illness and history of abuse because it kind of plays into the mentally ill and abused people can snap at any moment, when in reality most of the time they simply self harm.

I think one of the reasons I was pretty unmoved by the film as a piece of character study is because it follows the opposite trajectory of most cinematic descents into madness and violence where Arthur is presented as basically batshit and unhinged from the get-go and instead they go the opposite and try to humanize him over the the course of the movie by couching him being a violent comic book psychopath in relatively grounded acts of horrific childhood abuse and institutional neglect.

e.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 8, 2019