Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is the Switch version of OG Doom still hosed or is it serviceable now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heath posted:

They patched the major issues but it’s still weirdly devoid of content that was in the previous console releases.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Heath posted:

its way better and all the poo poo was fixed but now when you first start a game up, doesn't matter if you load a save or start a new game, the first time you gib (usually through a barrel, havent tested the rocket launcher yet) something you get a weird half a second freeze, noticeable enough to be annoying but after that its fine until you relaunch the game.

Fallom posted:

They patched the major issues but it’s still weirdly devoid of content that was in the previous console releases.

how do you mean, it has multi and all the episodes are there?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

There were campaigns and extra maps made for Doom 1 and 2 on the original xbox and 360 releases which arent in this package and arent in each other. There currently exists no version of Doom available for sale that actually contains all the official levels made for the game barring weirdness like the GBA version which has some levels split in half or otherwise altered dramatically.

This means if youre like me and insane, if you want to play all the content for Doom you need a Bone, an original Xbox, and three different copies of the game. Well and a PC cause duh, WADs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Most notable is the No Rest for the Living expansion for Doom 2 that they released on 360/PS3 and didn’t carry over to the re-release.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still think it's gross that they didn't package Doom 1 and 2 together as one purchase, and call it something like Uber Doom or something, but what do I know.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait what new levels got added to doom 1? i have the 360 version and dont recall any new levels.

never actually bothered to load up doom 2 on switch (because i dont like it) but pretty sure it had master levels at least.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Anyone tried the Yooka Laylee side scroller yet? Anyone know how it is or how it runs?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey folks, I'm having a really weird problem and was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

I first noticed when playing Fire Emblem Three Houses - in the animated cutscenes like the one at the start of the game and the ones that introduce each month, if I'm playing the game docked, the Voice Over just doesn't play. The scenes music and sound effects will play fine, but the voice won't at all. Handheld, this isn't a problem - I figured my copy of the game was janked and moved on.

Today I was leant a copy of Dark Souls by a friend. I know this game like the back of my hand and knew for certain that a bunch of sound effects just weren't triggering. Specifically, the effects for when you open a menu and roll were completely absent, and certain "collision" sounds weren't playing. Super weird is that, when I went into an echo-y area of the game (near a bonfire) the effects did trigger. In handheld this isn't an issue again.

Is my dock hosed and is there a way to fix it? If I had to guess I'd say that it isn't playing a certain "sound effect layer" (if that's how it works) when plugged into an HDMI. Just concerned it's my switch that's the problem and not the dock. It's really killing the vibe of Dark Souls

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Might try setting sound output to stereo instead of auto. Sounds like it may be trying to do surround and your tv isn’t properly handling the extra channels.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

Hey folks, I'm having a really weird problem and was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

I first noticed when playing Fire Emblem Three Houses - in the animated cutscenes like the one at the start of the game and the ones that introduce each month, if I'm playing the game docked, the Voice Over just doesn't play. The scenes music and sound effects will play fine, but the voice won't at all. Handheld, this isn't a problem - I figured my copy of the game was janked and moved on.

Today I was leant a copy of Dark Souls by a friend. I know this game like the back of my hand and knew for certain that a bunch of sound effects just weren't triggering. Specifically, the effects for when you open a menu and roll were completely absent, and certain "collision" sounds weren't playing. Super weird is that, when I went into an echo-y area of the game (near a bonfire) the effects did trigger. In handheld this isn't an issue again.

Is my dock hosed and is there a way to fix it? If I had to guess I'd say that it isn't playing a certain "sound effect layer" (if that's how it works) when plugged into an HDMI. Just concerned it's my switch that's the problem and not the dock. It's really killing the vibe of Dark Souls

try a new hdmi cable

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Calico Heart posted:

Sounds like it might be a surround-sound type setting and it's sending those SEs to a speaker that doesn't exist? Play around with your sound settings in the system menu and see if that resolves it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait what new levels got added to doom 1? i have the 360 version and dont recall any new levels.

never actually bothered to load up doom 2 on switch (because i dont like it) but pretty sure it had master levels at least.

Doom 1 and 2 on original Xbox have one original level a piece
Doom 2 for 360 has a unique original episode, No Rest for the Living which is actually pretty good and I noticed its absence immediately

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You've got to isolate the point of failure. Try a different HDMI cable, and if that doesn't work, a different dock.

e: and of course try messing with the audio settings. It might be trying to do surround when you're really only equipped with stereo/mono

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'd suspect the TV first, do you have something else to plug the dock into to test? Do you have any issues using the TV for other purposes?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has anyone played Little Racer? I have two kids (2yo and 5yo) and I'm wondering if this would be good for them. So far, there's next to nothing out about it, which doesn't give me much hope.

EDIT: Ok, this sounds promising, and it even mentions that there's a track editor. Nice!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 8, 2019

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Macaluso posted:

Anyone tried the Yooka Laylee side scroller yet? Anyone know how it is or how it runs?

Runs perfect, had one small bit of choppiness when it loaded a boss arena but otherwise a straight 60 FPS. The actual game is way tighter than the original and reminds of Tropical Freeze in a good way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Macaluso posted:

Not gonna lie, the GB quick look totally impressed me. Tropical freeze gameplay combined with a very engaging overworld that is its own entire half of the game. Oh and each level has an alt version with harder challenges/remixed visuals that requires some overworld puzzle solvin to access. It also seemed to have a huge map

So yeah a tropical freeze/links awakening hybrid, I had zero interest in this franchise but drat that game looks fun. It's definitely on my radar now

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

It was a surround sound issue. Thanks so much! It had come up on multiple TVs with multiple HDMI's so I was worried

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macaluso posted:

It’s getting good reviews. This convinced me to put it on my backlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52iAM7OKhV4

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Thinking of the future and whatever, Nintendo would be more "able" to make digital purchases backwards compatible and not physical ones, right? Like, the ability to play a game physically can easily go away by them not adding a slot for the old cartridge, but digitally, it makes it a bit easier...right?

e: Also, GameStop has this Pro Controller dock on sale/clearance. https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/accessories/batteries-chargers/products/switch-pro-controller-charge-block/10150228.html If you order online (even for pickup), it's under $8, but you get it straight from the store, it's like $15, and on Amazon, it's about $20. It has a little thing you put in the USB C slot that goes on the back of the controller so you can then just drop it in the dock and it'll start charging.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 8, 2019

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Thinking of the future and whatever, Nintendo would be more "able" to make digital purchases backwards compatible and not physical ones, right? Like, the ability to play a game physically can easily go away by them not adding a slot for the old cartridge, but digitally, it makes it a bit easier...right?

That's how Vita ended up handling PSP backwards compatibility so yeah.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Does the Switch have an issue with controllers continuing in a direction even in the neutral position, or even deciding on another direction that you're fighting against? Attempting to recalibrate the controls does nothing to fix the issue.

The left Joycon and the Pro Controller (Splatoon, if that narrows it down) both have the same problem.

Before I throw money down on another controller, it's it possible there's an issue with the console itself and that it needs to be fixed or replaced?

I'd like to be able to play something besides a JRPG.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Artix posted:

Runs perfect, had one small bit of choppiness when it loaded a boss arena but otherwise a straight 60 FPS. The actual game is way tighter than the original and reminds of Tropical Freeze in a good way.

KingSlime posted:

Not gonna lie, the GB quick look totally impressed me. Tropical freeze gameplay combined with a very engaging overworld that is its own entire half of the game. Oh and each level has an alt version with harder challenges/remixed visuals that requires some overworld puzzle solvin to access. It also seemed to have a huge map

So yeah a tropical freeze/links awakening hybrid, I had zero interest in this franchise but drat that game looks fun. It's definitely on my radar now

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s getting good reviews. This convinced me to put it on my backlog.

Video where they compare it to Tropical Freeze in several ways

Well I guess I'm sold then :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Bell_ posted:

Does the Switch have an issue with controllers continuing in a direction even in the neutral position, or even deciding on another direction that you're fighting against? Attempting to recalibrate the controls does nothing to fix the issue.

The left Joycon and the Pro Controller (Splatoon, if that narrows it down) both have the same problem.

Before I throw money down on another controller, it's it possible there's an issue with the console itself and that it needs to be fixed or replaced?

This is stick drift, and it's a famous issue with the joycons. The good news is, they'll repair/replace the controller for free if you go through Nintendo Support, but it'll take a couple weeks to get back.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

doom got delayed

probably won’t come out for switch until summer 2020

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

This is a thing they could do, but it would be silly for them to do it.

Policenaut posted:

That's how Vita ended up handling PSP backwards compatibility so yeah.
The way this was handled with the PSP Go and the Vita was not graceful. There was no exchange program for people who owned UMDs, and many early PSP titles were only released on UMD.

Still, it's understandable that later PSP models might not include a UMD drive since it was mechanical and took up significant internal volume. For the Switch though, the Game Card slot contains minimal electronics and doesn't take up much space. There really isn't a compelling reason to drop it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Bell_ posted:

You can try pressing in the bad stick and spray compressed air (probably won't work) or electrical contact cleaner (probably will work but might have to re-apply it every few weeks) as a quick fix if you don't want to send in for repairs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've found that contact cleaner only fixes it for a few days, tops, but--and maybe this is just a fluke and doesn't actually make a difference--using contact cleaner followed by compressed air soon after it dries fixes the drift for several weeks.

It's pretty awful that there's no official Nintendo support in this country so I'm stuck having to clean my joycons every time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
order a replacement thumb stick kit and fix them yourself

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

If you're in America just get new ones from nintendo. Is there no consumer protection for EU? You'd think NOAs public admittance would be enough

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is a thing they could do, but it would be silly for them to do it.

The way this was handled with the PSP Go and the Vita was not graceful. There was no exchange program for people who owned UMDs, and many early PSP titles were only released on UMD.

Still, it's understandable that later PSP models might not include a UMD drive since it was mechanical and took up significant internal volume. For the Switch though, the Game Card slot contains minimal electronics and doesn't take up much space. There really isn't a compelling reason to drop it.

Part of me wonders if they're already gearing up to do it since each game supposedly has some sort of unique identifier. It could make it so if you put the game in to be "converted" to digital, it gives an error since it's already been converted or whatever. This is Nintendo, so there's a huge possibility that they'll just push out the next console and tell us to buy the old one if we want to play old games.

Still - I'm hopeful. I want to make the switch to digital entirely, but something is telling me that doing so would bite me in the rear end one day.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

This is Nintendo, so there's a huge possibility that they'll just push out the next console and tell us to buy the old one if we want to play old games.
But Nintendo has, historically, been quite good about backwards compatibility. Except for the Switch, every console and handheld has been backwards compatible at least one generation since the GC (except for a few instances of cost reduced models). The Switch obviously isn't, but you can't really map the Wii U onto the Switch feature set. Also discs.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

LODGE NORTH posted:

e: Also, GameStop has this Pro Controller dock on sale/clearance. https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/accessories/batteries-chargers/products/switch-pro-controller-charge-block/10150228.html If you order online (even for pickup), it's under $8, but you get it straight from the store, it's like $15, and on Amazon, it's about $20. It has a little thing you put in the USB C slot that goes on the back of the controller so you can then just drop it in the dock and it'll start charging.

Thanks for the tip. They have free shipping for orders of $35, so I bought a bunch of Starlink packs too at 70% off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

a.lo posted:

doom got delayed

probably won’t come out for switch until summer 2020

Dude it's one page back

Why do Joycons need firmware updates in order to passably work? I feel like in 2019 I shouldn't have to patch my controllers in order for them to stop working/reset once every 20 minutes I stead of constantly. And yeah I get that random things can affect the signal but I've never had an issue with a dualshock or Xbox controller.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think I've ever manually updated the firmware on my joycons but then again I only have one pair and they're usually connected to the system when doing an update.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

bushisms.txt posted:

If you're in America just get new ones from nintendo. Is there no consumer protection for EU? You'd think NOAs public admittance would be enough

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is fixing them for free in the US because there's a pending class-action lawsuit that they're trying to avoid. They used to charge for the repairs, but then they changed their mind, and I'm not quite so optimistic to think they're doing it solely out of the goodness of their hearts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

I don't think I've ever manually updated the firmware on my joycons but then again I only have one pair and they're usually connected to the system when doing an update.

I believe you have to always manually update them. Mine are always connected to the system when docked and they never update automatically during system updates.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Well that guy made it seem like the joy cons don't work well unless you update the firmware and my joy cons have always worked well. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Joy-Cons work great until they don’t. Then you’ll find a character randomly falling off things or you fighting a camera in response to a stick taking an input that’s not there.

The Joy-Con repair program in the US is great but it does take a little time.