Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

That's a real brain scratcher there, what with all of the swaying objects, moving shadows, and basically every possible sign of motion.

Better page an astrophysicist to get to the bottom of this one.
From the trains reference, the Earth was moving while it remained stationary :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chomp8645 posted:

That's a real brain scratcher there, what with all of the swaying objects, moving shadows, and basically every possible sign of motion.

Better page an astrophysicist to get to the bottom of this one.

What if it was one of those Disney rides where everything moves around you?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

lmao i can't wait to see how many people react to this joke earnestly

We wouldn't want to derail the discussion with such silliness.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

405-297-HELP

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Took me a moment to realize that these are two separate photos.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/AkHcFAo.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
that's what you get for not wearing your reflective vest

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Stop, drop, and roll, dumbos.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

that's what you get for not wearing your reflective vest

gonna be high vis one way or another

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reflective vests one again cause burns.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dave Grool posted:

gonna be high vis one way or another

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone know what the weight rating is on a tailgate? Somehow I get the feeling they might be exceeding it. Hell, depending on what else is in that pile in the bed I wouldn't be surprised to find they're exceeding the payload rating of the truck itself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

As someone that's spent time doing landscaping / irrigation, this is the norm rather than the exception.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I've never lived in an apartment complex that didn't have at least one sprinkler that sprayed directly on a walkway. Lower stakes, but yeah the day crew gives zero fucks what happens when the sprinklers turn on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

tater_salad posted:

it looks like she's in the one moving hitting the "Please just loving stop" button on a regular basis but the train.. it don't care it wants to trucklefuck

Her brakes failed. She already had the brake in emergency. The button she's mashing is the horn.

Edit: The lever in her left hand is a combined throttle/brake. You can see her move it a couple times trying to get the brakes to engage.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 8, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I've never lived in an apartment complex that didn't have at least one sprinkler that sprayed directly on a walkway. Lower stakes, but yeah the day crew gives zero fucks what happens when the sprinklers turn on.

One morning leaving for work early in the last apartment I lived in, it was dark and i walked down the stairs and got a full blast of water to the face. Had to go back in and change clothes. But before I did that I stomped the sprinkler head and broke it off, so it just sprayed a torrent straight in the air. They didn't fix it for 6 months, but it stopped hitting me on the way out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You ever see someone post a murder-suicide to youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

You can see the Asbestos floating in the air. And that camera isn't on a tripod.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

Anyone know what the weight rating is on a tailgate? Somehow I get the feeling they might be exceeding it. Hell, depending on what else is in that pile in the bed I wouldn't be surprised to find they're exceeding the payload rating of the truck itself.

They are well over it. Especially while moving.

That truck probably has a ~1800lb payload. If there are 5 more people like them in the truck, they are well over that in humans alone.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

e: /\ /\ The most generous rating on the new year with this cab type is 1545 lb, could be as low as 1185 lb depending on spec.

wolrah posted:

Anyone know what the weight rating is on a tailgate?

0. You're not meant to drive with it down* or generally put any weight on it at all, the only thing really holding it is the two little cables you can see on either side. These converted tubing bed extenders are definitely not intended use.

Obviously, it's built to carry non-zero weight because people do poo poo like sit on it (while parked, for most), and load motorcycles into their trucks sometimes, but there's no published Weight Rating for a tailgate because they're not meant to be loaded in that fashion.

From a 2019 Tundra Manual (which it appears this is a Tundra, but no idea of year);

*see my later post

HarmB fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 8, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

e: /\ /\ The most generous rating on the new year with this cab type is 1545 lb, could be as low as 1185 lb depending on spec.

It's a 2004-2015(?) Nissan titan and the new one sucks because they tried to straddle the line between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton and hosed up royally, producing a SEVEN THOUSAND POUND half ton truck. to be considered a half ton it has to stay under 8500 GVWR, meaning any curb weight up to that cuts into it's payload, leaving the ridiculous mondo cab trucks with comically low payload ratings. Ford offers packages on the f-150 that take it up to 3300lbs payload.

Also, Toyotas have had big problems with tailgates splitting if you drive with them open, which is probably why that's in the manual.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i cant believe im only finding out about groverhaus right now

holy poo poo

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Powershift posted:

It's a 2004-2015(?) Nissan titan and the new one sucks because they tried to straddle the line between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton and hosed up royally, producing a SEVEN THOUSAND POUND half ton truck. to be considered a half ton it has to stay under 8500 GVWR, meaning any curb weight up to that cuts into it's payload, leaving the ridiculous mondo cab trucks with comically low payload ratings. Ford offers packages on the f-150 that take it up to 3300lbs payload.

Also, Toyotas have had big problems with tailgates splitting if you drive with them open, which is probably why that's in the manual.

That sounds like a pretty bad fuckup honestly, you could easily exceed it in passengers sitting in regular seats alone in the US
Newer Fords also have bed extenders that have 150lb capacity for driving with loaded too. But that's certainly not what's it's dealing with here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That sounds like a pretty bad fuckup honestly, you could easily exceed it in passengers sitting in regular seats alone in the US
Newer Fords also have bed extenders that have 150lb capacity for driving with loaded too. But that's certainly not what's it's dealing with here.

The ford tailgate step is also rated for 350lbs.

My car's door sticker actually specifies 6 x 150lb occupants and 150lbs worth of luggage. which in theory gives it a 1050lb payload capacity. Nearly as much as some Nissan titans.

The $70,000 Titan Platinum Reserve has a payload capacity of 1212lbs, and a towing capacity of 8968lbs.
My 1973 Lincoln Continental Mark Iv has a payload capacity of 1050lbs, and a towing capacity of 7000lbs.

Cargo bay volume is pretty close too :cool:

Ford has also hosed up like this in the past though. All 1999 f-250s and F-350s had a 20000lb GCWRs so my little regular cab F-250 is rated for 14,200lbs, the big beefy F-350 Dually is only rated for 12,700.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 8, 2019

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Cojawfee posted:

Stop, drop, and roll, dumbos.

If you and your clothing have been doused in gasoline I don't think stop, drop, and roll is going to be of much help.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh.....

Kinda what it's for. Even gas fires need oxygen and heat. Rolling denies both.

"Stop, drop, and roll is bad, actually" is one hell of a take.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Varkk posted:

A few years ago here it was ruled that Hi-Vis tops can’t have reflective strips going over the shoulders as there had been cases of severe sunburn under the ears and in the side of the necks due to the reflected light. I heard about this from a coal miner who had to replace all his tops because of the risk of sunburn, in an underground mine.

That's peak OSHA right there.

You literally have to pay more money to buy a vest with reflective "suspenders." The lovely vests don't have those stripes, nor do they meet jobsite requirements.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In either case Stop, Drop, and Roll will still be better than feeding tons of oxygen into the fire by running around like a chicken minus it's head.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Or you just make sure there's a pool available at your job site

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That is hilarious. My loving Fiesta ST has an 827 lb payload rating. The idea that a full-size truck is within one fat rear end of a subcompact hot hatch is just nuts.

0. You're not meant to drive with it down* or generally put any weight on it at all, the only thing really holding it is the two little cables you can see on either side. These converted tubing bed extenders are definitely not intended use.
Those bed extenders are factory equipment on a lot of trucks. AFAIK basically every 5 foot bed crew cab on a supercab wheelbase comes with them standard and they're often optional on the normal beds. It's not a great pic but it looks a lot like the Nissan factory part 999T7-WX160.

The tailgate still may not be rated for anything, but the idea that they're not intended to be driven with the tailgate down doesn't fit with a bed extender being offered by the manufacturer. Presumably Toyota doesn't offer such a thing with their restrictions posted above.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

toplitzin posted:

You ever see someone post a murder-suicide to youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

You can see the Asbestos floating in the air. And that camera isn't on a tripod.

Haha the air is so dense with asbestos fibres that it looks like everything is shimmering as they float by the lens :stonk:

He says it was tested and found to be asbestos-free but whatever that crap is can't be good to breathe in

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 8, 2019

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

405-297-HELP

Area code 405: Tulsa, Oklahoma and environs. Checks out.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

wolrah posted:

This sent everyone down a rabbit hole of payload ratings, whereas the first thought should have been: "The rear end collision will save a lot of time on the inevitable diabetes amputation"

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Were they trying to jump over the wall to get away from the fire, like it was a rabid dog that the wall would contain?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Bacon Taco posted:

Were they trying to jump over the wall to get away from the fire, like it was a rabid dog that the wall would contain?

It looks like they are jumping over a wall, into a pool. Look at the frames just as he goes over and it looks like a splash.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

netwerk23 posted:

It looks like they are jumping over a wall, into a pool. Look at the frames just as he goes over and it looks like a splash.

I see your point. It looked to me like the flames flared up some, but I could also see that being a splash.

Maybe they could have poured some of the copious amounts of booze on that table onto the flames to put them out?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bacon Taco posted:

I see your point. It looked to me like the flames flared up some, but I could also see that being a splash.

Maybe they could have poured some of the copious amounts of booze on that table onto the flames to put them out?

Ummmm, Alcohol burns?
I've seen rum go up before.

Not to mention gently caress that poo poo, they need something to dull the pain after.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bacon Taco posted:

I'm not 100% sure they could be considered to be thinking straight. In fact it looks like what they did was pretty much the intended outcome. The ground is already on fire before he throws more petrol on it, it just looks like they decided to burn everything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone post a screenshot of the Tundra Manual where it says not to drive with the tailgate down?

I couldn't find it but I also didn't look hard

edit: nevermind, i didn't see the edit up above

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

wolrah posted:

That is hilarious. My loving Fiesta ST has an 827 lb payload rating. The idea that a full-size truck is within one fat rear end of a subcompact hot hatch is just nuts.

A lot of people buy trucks entirely as a status symbol or vanity item rather than actually needing one for truck things, so is it really surprising that some of them have options that make them bad at actually being a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Taerkar posted:

A lot of people buy trucks entirely as a status symbol or vanity item rather than actually needing one for truck things, so is it really surprising that some of them have options that make them bad at actually being a truck.

*Replaces stock headlights with SUPER BRIGHT ALL WHITE LIGHT*

*Exclusively drives around the city and well-lit suburbs*