Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goethe.cx posted:

Gorsuch has sided with the liberals in a few 5-4 decisions. Not holding out a ton of hope here but it’s possible

I don't exactly have high hopes for his brand of constitutional originalism to support LGBTQ people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

theflyingorc posted:

Lawyers in this thread have indicated that they can start slamming them with fines, which is what we're looking for

Ah yes the slaps in wrist of 100$ fines for people with millions or billions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When would a decision come down if arguments are happening now?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

theflyingorc posted:

Lawyers in this thread have indicated that they can start slamming them with fines, which is what we're looking for

IANAL (also a form of protest) -- it looks like they can start adding civil suits on top of contempt, but they would generally use the DOJ for enforcement. Since the DOJ is the problem, it's unclear how they'd actually file for the civil charges, but the fact that they're probably going to have to likely means it takes some time to start spinning those up. And ... they might be subject to further delay tactics from there. That could be why we aren't hearing about Rudy's crypt having to sell his old goblets and poo poo.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Mahoning posted:

Well the new subpoena is for Sondland's testimony AND documents. So they hadn't issued a subpoena for testimony before today, so that is actually (well, potentially) big if he decides to ignore that. But also, I think this means they're actually issuing a subpoena to SONDLAND for documents and communications, which makes sense since he was apparently doing all this on a private phone.

In theory, it matters a little bit more. We'll see if it actually will or not.

It looks like they did subpoena Pompeo for documents

So unless I am missing something my question still stands, How are these new subpoenas worth anything if they have shown an unwillingness to enforce and already out of date subpoena?

I get that article says they are in 'on going talks' but if this is all back door dealings it seems like you would at least be public about "Pompeo gave us what we need" so others know no one is sliding on the subpoenas.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Happy weed page, thread

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Celexi posted:

Nnnnnnooooooppppppeeeeeee

Thousands, or Tens of thousands per day, often directed at people who aren't actually wealthy.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Gonna need some of that state legal weed in the state where we have an openly gay governor to deal with a lovely gorsuch decision. I'm prepared for the worst y'all.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1181590320942850056

God I'm gonna be low-key freaking out over how this one goes all day/week/however long this takes

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't exactly have high hopes for his brand of constitutional originalism to support LGBTQ people.

No but this isn’t a constitutional case. It’s possible that his weird rear end textualism will support the right result. After all, Scalia wrote the opinion holding that Title VII prohibits workplace harassment by members of the same sex, when that was still an open question

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Celexi posted:

$100,000 a day on a low millionaire is not trivial.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

theoretically any time (generally mondays) when opinions are handed down, in practicality december or later

last year the Court released 3 opinions for cases argued in October before the new year, and it's final opinion from October in June

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 8, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Around the end of the term, so possibly as late as next May.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

why are so many people writing it this way all of a sudden

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mango sentinel posted:

$100,000 a day on a low millionaire is not trivial.

even if they are that high, the one "enforcing" those fines is barrs justice department, so good luck with that?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

goethe.cx posted:

No but this isn’t a constitutional case. It’s possible that his weird rear end textualism will support the right result. After all, Scalia wrote the opinion holding that Title VII prohibits workplace harassment by members of the same sex, when that was still an open question

Yeah but it's also possible he digs up some definition of the word 'sex' from the 50s that supports the regressive nonsense position.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Riptor posted:

I am an European currently in America, in Europe we normally put the currency symbol after the number.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MagusDraco posted:

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1181590320942850056

God I'm gonna be low-key freaking out over how this one goes all day/week/however long this takes

Mid 2020 most likely.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Riptor posted:

Cos you say one hundred dollars, not dollars one hundred

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beejay posted:

A little good news in hell world, Jimmy Carter is back to work even after his fall:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1181213645503680513

drat, even ol jimmy can't retire

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s been 2 goddamn weeks

But nothing matters is eternal.

theflyingorc posted:

Nnnnnnooooooppppppeeeeeee

Thousands, or Tens of thousands per day, often directed at people who aren't actually wealthy.

It almost never starts with the big guys. It starts with the career guys or the minor sycophants, not the big players.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 8, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m kind of curious how long they could find some gop shitheel to pay their fines.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

beejay posted:

A little good news in hell world, Jimmy Carter is back to work even after his fall:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1181213645503680513

glad to see he is still kicking and doing good stuff.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

Cos you say one hundred dollars, not dollars one hundred

Yes but we've written it that way for hundreds of years

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Riptor posted:

So? You understood it was 100 dollars, yes?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

goethe.cx posted:

In the companion case (where a woman was fired for being trans) the employer said they fired her because of their religious beliefs.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Riptor posted:

Welcome to the republican party. :v:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/prayingmedic/status/1181594787461255168?s=20

Lindsay can’t be stopped.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

So? You understood it was 100 dollars, yes?

Yes understand just as you me when write this way not mean good practice however

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Riptor posted:

We say month/date/year and no European ever explained their backwards date writing. We ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

syntaxrigger posted:

Can someone explain to me how these new subpoena matter if they haven't enforced the subpoena they issued to pompeo yet? Or have they and I missed it? I have asked the oracle but I got no joy.

You didn't ask me nothin' but I'll answer you anyway.:colbert: They are 'in negotiations' with the State Dept last we heard. They're currently three days late not responding to the subpoena. Outlook not so good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just lmao if you don't write it as 100$00

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Riptor posted:

Yes understand just as you me when write this way not mean good practice however

If we were writing a technical or academic article then maaaybeeee I would agree but we are on the internet on a web forum discussing our dumb politics and food preferences.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rudoku posted:

We say month/date/year and no European ever explained their backwards date writing. We ain't gotta explain poo poo.

"those drat commies with their wrong dates"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Celexi posted:

even if they are that high, the one "enforcing" those fines is barrs justice department, so good luck with that?

I have no idea what parts of this are true, but if you're 100% accurate, then there's literally no legal recourse for the subpoenas being followed, and the House literally has no powers to stop it, yay.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want to see Trump and co behind bars. Let them govern from prison until conviction

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

id make a joke about graham loving 8chan for its illegal reasons but i am pretty sure thats libel.

anyway, https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181601756347797505

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

theflyingorc posted:

I have no idea what parts of this are true, but if you're 100% accurate, then there's literally no legal recourse for the subpoenas being followed, and the House literally has no powers to stop it, yay.

This article by Reuters goes into it: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1S81FP

but it doesn't really say anything definitively. The short version is: there are theoretically avenues to pursue, but most of it is Calvinball at this point since the system has already failed.

edit: it's also from May, so this little game of nonsense has been going on for a while now. tl;dr: who knows?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Celexi posted:

what

no

the DOJ does not run article 3 courts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id make a joke about graham loving 8chan for its illegal reasons but i am pretty sure thats libel.

anyway, https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181601756347797505

I really wish he was involved in some way or form with this administration's corruption beyond cheer leading it, because he's genuine scum.