Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

kemikalkadet posted:

Stockpiling food is dumb because the long-life food that can be stockpiled is the least likely to be affected by border delays caused by brexit. If there's a forecast for an increased demand or supply shortages then it can be warehoused to smooth the bumps in supply. It's the fresh foods with short shelf lifes that will be affected. Just-In-Time grocery deliveries from the continent currently can go from producer to shelf in 48 hours and supermarkets use pretty sophisticated forecasting models to order enough in with minimal waste. Suddenly adding the uncertainty of no-deal import rules and your predictable 48 hour turnaround turns into "well maybe it'll be 50 hours or it could be 5 days". That's where the reduced choice and increased prices will come from on a huge range of fresh foods. There's a load of knock-on effects from ingredient transport: i.e. milk or egg powder shipped from the UK then made into a product and shipped back, but the major effect that everyone will notice will be the most short-life fresh goods that rely on tight just-in-time networks.

tl;dr there's nothing meaningful you can do. stockpiling won't do anything useful but go ahead if it makes you feel better.

While you're right in that the biggest effect will be on the imported fresh produce, it's a little more complex than that.

Panic-buying could be a real problem, even on stuff we produce domestically. Just think about how people clear supermarket shelves of bread & milk right before Christmas as if without shops for two days they're about to starve to death. Now imagine a greater level of uncertainty with many people clueless about which products are likely to be unavailable and what that prompts them to buy up at the last minute (and if there's one thing that Brexit has taught us it's that cluelessness applies to too many people). They're not just buying bread & milk, they're buying everything just in case.

Fuel shortages are also a real possibility, and they could impact the ability to move all goods around just within the country. There may be plenty of eggs and steak to feed people, but without diesel to move them a lot could end up rotting away on some farm.

I won't be going mad with it, but I will be getting a few things in our house to stave off the Mad Max poo poo for a few more days.

e: 79 is scientifically ten better than the funny sex number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

marktheando posted:

The country that did is a big supporter of brexit though

Weird, I thought the Soviet Union collapsed nearly 2 decades ago.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Restocking my brexit cupboard, here's the secret: Go into asda online, set yourself a budget of £40 or so, type in "smart price" and then just buy everything that comes in tins or jars. Then work up from there. Tinned fish is great and cheap. I did it in March and I'm only now running out of tinned tomatoes and pilchards. Sorry to whatever poor bugger has to deliver this, I don't own a car.

Iceland online is also surprisingly good, they do massive jars of instant cous cous and frozen greggs sausage rolls.

Amazon do big vacuum sealed bags of sushi rice for reasonably cheap, cheaper if you can buy on "subscribe and save" and then add a load of 50p vitamins or toilet roll or whatever to take the order up to 5 items. You can cancel the subscription right after, so you get the 15% discount and then cancel the next order once it arrives, it doesn't tie you in to anything. Pick up some furikake packets cheap off ebay and that's a whole pile of meals just there.

This one is just living in loving nowhere, but the feedstore near me sells horse carrots and 10kg+ bags of rolled oats for practically nothing, the carrots are good, I haven't stooped to the shame level of buying horse oats yet. They used to do unwashed potatoes too, but stopped a while back. Apparently some sell horse apples too? All the corn you can eat!?

Brexit shortages may never happen, especially on dry goods, but it's also good to have a stockpile for when the government suddenly decides you don't deserve money any more for whatever hosed reason. At least you'll have spaghetti, rice, tomatoes and porridge for a couple of weeks.

Hmm, this might be more of a "living in poverty" guide than a brexit cupboard guide...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 8, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Weird, a different much less convenient world.
I guess part of it is technology improving, part of it is what we use them for changing.

During the 90s you'd have a line of credit with a department store so that you could buy a sofa or something and pay it off over the course of several months, and you'd have a bank card so that you could use an ATM or shop in big shops, buy stuff from mail or fax order catalogs (remember the back page of every games magazine, I know some of you do), and guarantee cheques up to a certain amount (newsagent didn't take card, but wouldn't accept cheque without guarantee). There's no way you'd pull one out in a pub or a takeaway.

It took until Chip & PIN for them to be preferred over cash by most smaller businesses and probably until contactless for them to be common at pubs and takeaways.

marktheando posted:

I want to believe this isn't real but I know in my heart that it is

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1181542541583273985?s=20
Leave.EU are the distilled id of the gammon. Half the time they're not even talking about the EU, it's about bringing back the death penalty or a black man exists or veterans are better than children or climate change is a hoax or

Wille zur Schinken

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean sure but you're talking about "cumulative drops" and "more down than up in recent years", clearly neither of which is actually the case

If I was referring to the state of the weather, I'd call a storm on an otherwise clear day a fluctuation. If I was referring to a drop in the pound because Boris Johnson announced he was personally wiping his dick on every newly minted fiver, I wouldn't.

Julio Cruz posted:

there's been one drop and then since then a load of fluctuations, you know, because fluctuations happen all the loving time

Yes, those pesky fluctuations due to brexit. The pound can go up as well as down due to an entirely voluntary government backed act of stupidity, of course. We should piss off our closest trading partners more often, that's a sure-fire way to bring some much needed fluctuations. I wonder which way they will fluctuate?

Julio Cruz posted:

except people keep mistaking the latest change of less than a penny for something actually meaningful

You think the statements from the EU today weren't meaningful?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
With the talk of stockpiling a reminder that if you do you should chuck everything on a spreadsheet with the date it expires.

That way, in a few months when we approach the next deadline you will know what to eat first the rich

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I mean clearly the less than 24 hours notice is to see how willing you are to put up with ridiculous impositions on your freedom.

I'm gonna move from 1 to 2 days WFH before Xmas, it all pivots on how easily I can nick my dual monitors and docking station from work.

If I could also nick my ergonomic chair that would be great but that's probably less likely

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWqNdXznQY8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Guavanaut posted:

I guess part of it is technology improving, part of it is what we use them for changing.

During the 90s you'd have a line of credit with a department store so that you could buy a sofa or something and pay it off over the course of several months, and you'd have a bank card so that you could use an ATM or shop in big shops, buy stuff from mail or fax order catalogs (remember the back page of every games magazine, I know some of you do), and guarantee cheques up to a certain amount (newsagent didn't take card, but wouldn't accept cheque without guarantee). There's no way you'd pull one out in a pub or a takeaway.

It took until Chip & PIN for them to be preferred over cash by most smaller businesses and probably until contactless for them to be common at pubs and takeaways.

For reference regarding how recent using cards to pay for everything is, Mcdonalds only started taking card payments in 2007.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I don't see video previews but I'm going to assume it's the Mitchell and Webb wanking from home video, and yes.

Nettle Soup posted:

Restocking my brexit cupboard, :words:

Post/username powerful combo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I remember Boris promising last week he would prorogue parliament again this week. Is that still coming or was it just hot air?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
EU throwing more shade at Boris

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1181582734495485953

Libluini posted:

OK, I remember Boris promising last week he would prorogue parliament again this week. Is that still coming or was it just hot air?

BBC said this a couple of hours ago:

quote:

Parliament is due to be suspended - or prorogued - at around 19:00 BST.

For this to go ahead, the Queen needs to sign it off with members of her Privy Council, on the advice of her prime minister.

Once the meeting has taken place, the order is published online.

However, it still has not gone up on the Privy Council website.

MP for the Independent Group for Change Chris Leslie raised the point in the Commons, saying prorogation was on the order paper for the Commons and Lords, but not yet public - adding such orders are "normally passed several days before".

Deputy Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle said it was not a matter for the chair, but he was sure it would occur "in due course".

He adds: "As a member of the Privy Council, I have no further information."

Edit: prorogation was just approved

xtothez fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 8, 2019

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

marktheando posted:

I'm pretty sure paper credit card transactions haven't been a thing for like 30 years. I don't even know how you would process a credit card sale these days without an internet connection. Even the really old machines from 20+ years ago would still connect to the internet via dialup.

Going through some junk at my old work recently we found a credit card imprinter, I'm a few years away from 40 and had never seen one before. I had no idea what it was.

You ring a centralised clearing company like , iirc, verisign, with cc details, and take an imprint of the card to carbon paper as a customer receipt and store receipt.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

If I was referring to the state of the weather, I'd call a storm on an otherwise clear day a fluctuation. If I was referring to a drop in the pound because Boris Johnson announced he was personally wiping his dick on every newly minted fiver, I wouldn't.

Yes, those pesky fluctuations due to brexit. The pound can go up as well as down due to an entirely voluntary government backed act of stupidity, of course. We should piss off our closest trading partners more often, that's a sure-fire way to bring some much needed fluctuations. I wonder which way they will fluctuate?

You think the statements from the EU today weren't meaningful?

wow you are getting awfully het up over the factual statement "drops of less than 0.5p in the value of sterling happen all the time"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

An Irish journalist called Chris Cook wrote up a six piece long read on the inside-no. 10-baseball on Brexit during May's time, and how that played out during the negotiations. It's superb and you should all read it:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-one/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-2/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-day-part-3/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-part-4/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-5/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-6/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/26/brexit-epilogue/content.html

It's extremely well written and clearly this guy understands what he's on about super well.

I dunno if it's a 'done thing' to pro-click your own posts, but I'm doing it anyway.

The articles are great, but good lord that font is awful.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

WhatEvil posted:

2ndhnd.com for cheap ergo chairs.

This guy buys office liquidations for dirt cheap and refurbishes the chairs and sells them on. We bought I think 8 Humanscale Freedom chairs from there and I can recommend those specifically. They're still like £2-300 but they retail for more like £8-1100.

They also have Herman Miller and all the other fancy brands on there, but it's a bit variable what they actually have in stock at any time (due to the nature in which they get them).

Reyooz is good - office clearances and you just pay for the courier (as the office pays them to take them away). I have a huge standing/sitting desk I picked up for the princely price of £35, delivered.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

EU throwing more shade at Boris

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1181582734495485953

BBC said this a couple of hours ago:

Edit: prorogation was just approved

poo poo, is this it then? No Deal Brexit unavoidable? Bad Boris has won and Albion will sink into the sea?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Libluini posted:

poo poo, is this it then? No Deal Brexit unavoidable? Bad Boris has won and Albion will sink into the sea?

Wut?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Court case to force Boris to abide by parliament's instruction fell through on the basis that the judge didn't think it was necessary, if he doesn't do it then there's a fair chance he'd face legal trouble.

Also I dunno how long parlaiment is prorogued for but I would be surprised if it's very long given that's the problem with the last time he tried it.

The issue is still the same as it was before, what he's going to do about the extension, he's still obligated to do it, still says he will abide by the law, and still says we're still leaving anyway. Those statements being mutually exclusive is the problem, and everyone is just waitiing to see what he will do, because if he does extend, that probably makes his chances in an election a lot weaker.

The goal, as ever, is to force him to extend, split his vote with the brexit party, and then try to secure a labour majority or at least weaken the tories so hard they can't function as a proper party any more.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 8, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Prorogued until monday 14th

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Julio Cruz posted:

wow you are getting awfully het up over the factual statement "drops of less than 0.5p in the value of sterling happen all the time"

Yes, that is the entirely context free statement you think you just made.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If Johnson doesn't ask for the extension then there's still time to VONC, form a minority government and ask for an extension while an election is called. Then it's up to the minority parties whether they're going to fall in line or keep whinging about Corbyn while we sink into the ocean.

If that fails then theoretically someone could table a bill to rescind Article 50 with immediate effect (once it has gone through the necessary steps, obvs), but I wouldn't bet money on that passing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat who could have predicted IMF forced austerity would piss people off?

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1181597908946300928?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What’s your opinion on the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre? Personally, I’m dead against it. People forget that traders need access to DIXONS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If Johnson doesn't ask for the extension then there's still time to VONC, form a minority government and ask for an extension while an election is called. Then it's up to the minority parties whether they're going to fall in line or keep whinging about Corbyn while we sink into the ocean.

If that fails then theoretically someone could table a bill to rescind Article 50 with immediate effect (once it has gone through the necessary steps, obvs), but I wouldn't bet money on that passing.

Yes, the issue is that if boris doesn't do it, he gets to play the "I will do anything for brexit" card and that probably helps him a lot in an election, though how he'd fare haemmoraging wets to the libs I don't know, swing seats are a bugger.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yes, that is the entirely context free statement you think you just made.

I mean

Julio Cruz posted:

no it definitely is something to sneer at

look at any longer-term chart and you'll see that half-pence fluctuations happen all the loving time

definitely looks like I made that statement to me

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Comrade Fakename posted:

What’s your opinion on the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre? Personally, I’m dead against it. People forget that traders need access to DIXONS.

Ah-ha!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Post/username powerful combo

My garden was all nettles this year, but all I managed to do with them was accidentally walk into them multiple times whilst attempting to hang out the washing. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I made the mistake of exploring trails in shorts during summer, and ended up having to do a weird crab scuttle with my cloak around my ankles to get out of a nettle patch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nettle Soup posted:

My garden was all nettles this year, but all I managed to do with them was accidentally walk into them multiple times whilst attempting to hang out the washing. :(

i feel thats your own fault for not removing them

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

I made the mistake of exploring trails in shorts during summer, and ended up having to do a weird crab scuttle with my cloak around my ankles to get out of a nettle patch.

Cloak?!

Between that and the hair and the beard, I do have to ask if you're a wizard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cloak, yes. I found it in a charity shop, and I like to pretend I am the world's most unlikely elf lumbering through the forest.

I want a plasticized one with a big hood so I can go out in torrential rain too.

Obviously if I was actually a wizard I would be able to solve the nettle problem without resorting to the crab scuttle.

I do recommend them if you're going on a walk, they're immense fun to prat about in and very comfortable too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've just switched from shorts to trousers for the first time since April

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He's a wizard 'Arry

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

The articles are great, but good lord that font is awful.

Wolpe-Pegasus
A font full of surprises....
https://www.monotype.com/fonts/wolpe-pegasus/

Red Oktober posted:

Reyooz is good - office clearances and you just pay for the courier (as the office pays them to take them away). I have a huge standing/sitting desk I picked up for the princely price of £35, delivered.

Wow thanks for that! Will be moving soon and having to get some officey type bits where I've been using the landlord's til now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 8, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Cloak, yes. I found it in a charity shop, and I like to pretend I am the world's most unlikely elf lumbering through the forest.

I want a plasticized one with a big hood so I can go out in torrential rain too.

Obviously if I was actually a wizard I would be able to solve the nettle problem without resorting to the crab scuttle.

I do recommend them if you're going on a walk, they're immense fun to prat about in and very comfortable too.

I unironically would love cloaks to come back, something to keep yer trousers dry in the rain would be ace, and I imagine they'd be pretty good in rain too.

I just don't think I'm brave enough to be the first to wear one in public. So kudos to you, Nettle Wizard

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

magically making the nettles invisible won't stop them stinging you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I unironically would love cloaks to come back, something to keep yer trousers dry in the rain would be ace, and I imagine they'd be pretty good in rain too.

I just don't think I'm brave enough to be the first to wear one in public. So kudos to you, Nettle Wizard

Well that's why you don't wear it in public, you go and hide in the forest like a deviant and wave your walking stick around like it's a magic staff and make ptchoo noises and pretend you're fireballing a dragon or something.

It's like larping for people who don't have any friends.

Failing that they do make actually good quality wool ones for hunting and poo poo, and there's also the goth scene for if you want more £££s and less quality :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CGI Stardust posted:

magically making the nettles invisible won't stop them stinging you

A fireball might do it though

Dries your washing quicker too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted: