Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

It’s almost like we can learn from Zaurg’s brain-dead stupidity here, wherein a budget and reconciliation of expenses are discrete tools with differing purposes. Make a budget with items consolidated into a single category but then have your reconciliation of expenses show them as discrete items within said category.

That way, spending more on vape draws down your budget for other discretionary and encourages you to prioritise where you blow your fun money, but at the end of the day you’re still faced with seeing how much of your money was spent specifically proving you’re the sort of nerd that wears a fedora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty happy with the categories now - I made the decision in July to combine vaping into discretionary once already. Once we're out of debt I'll definitely shake up the categories.

I don't feel like it's a problem going back to our $330 discretionary. Our budget was planned originally for that number.

Speedbump
My son needs some medical work done. He's tongue tied and the doctor and dentist want to get it taken care of as they mentioned yesterday. We didn't want to put him under with anesthesia if it could be helped, so we've been holding off, and they now have a local anesthetic option. The initial estimate was $800 out of pocket, but we'll know more in 30-45 days after a written estimate to our insurance company gets done. I'm hoping we can make payments and keep trucking without much of a budget modification, but we may need to throw some of that debt paydown money towards it one month.

Budget updates:
- October - gets rid of the $49 campground due.
- October - our cell phones should drop by ~$30 (which may reflect in November).
- September - we're turning in another cable box this weekend for another $7 off the RV Storage category.
- All - I'm dropping my son's $20 chore bucket - he hasn't expressed interest again and I feel like he's too young to comprehend the lessons, and I don't personally know what steps I want to take yet from a teaching standpoint (I'm sure my wife will have input as well).
- We should be putting about $4k towards the RV in September. That will bring the balance down to (roughly) $13,500.

Updated payoff/amortization schedule (not accounting for medical procedure):

Note that we will sell the RV somewhere in there and anything excess will go immediately towards the truck, at which point if it takes until March, we'll sell the truck ASAP. I'll probably prioritize the truck over the student loans since the truck also depreciates and has high insurance costs ($110/mo).

e: and also note this is on September's figures, not October's when we free some money up. We free up more money in January as well that will bump the figure up.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 29, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

It’s almost like we can learn from Zaurg’s brain-dead stupidity here

Learning from zug is setting the bar rather low, I'd say :v:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I kinda think it goes the other way. One big discretionary category emphasizes how much is being spent on things that don't improve your financial position. Said differently, having them separate might encourage increasing the discretionary, because now discretionary looks smaller since vaping is separate.

It's really a six of one, half dozen of the other kinda thing. The key thing is, do you have a system that works? If so, why mess with what works?

I have a discretionary Master Category titled “my name” and then some subs. You could consider doing this.

Nocheez posted:

Personal opinion: Vaping/smoking is your choice, so it's discretionary. Don't up your discretionary, either quit the vice or lower your personal spending elsewhere to accommodate. That's how a budget is supposed to function, it holds you accountable by limiting how much you spend.

Agreed.

Nam Taf posted:

It’s almost like we can learn from Zaurg’s brain-dead stupidity here, wherein a budget and reconciliation of expenses are discrete tools with differing purposes. Make a budget with items consolidated into a single category but then have your reconciliation of expenses show them as discrete items within said category.

That way, spending more on vape draws down your budget for other discretionary and encourages you to prioritise where you blow your fun money, but at the end of the day you’re still faced with seeing how much of your money was spent specifically proving you’re the sort of nerd that wears a fedora.

This is how I further break things down for reporting, using tags in Quicken and a macro to do the needful of splitting things. I can turn them on and off from a tag control list and then my script either does or doesn’t split em out. I’m not a huge fan of Quicken or YNAB reports so I built my own in Excel (automated, it’s how I expanded my knowledge of VBA, which is drat useful as an accountant who uses Excel a fuckton!).

KG - just use a specific comment on the line and be consistent with it so you can easily sum up the spend. Good enough.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Lookin forward to that August recap KG

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Lookin forward to that August recap KG

Sept:

Moving Forward:
- I'm restarting YNAB for September. I'm having trouble getting it and the spreadsheet to match up which is wasting time and the spending data from the RV isn't highly useful anymore anyway.
- Credit cards are confusing the gently caress out of me on YNAB so I'm going back to debit transactions for everything but the RV. We can worry about cash back optimization when we're out of debt. Too much of a time sink.

Meal plans 9/3-9/6
- Daily sandwiches: BLTs/PB&J with Yogurt and Fruit
- Dinners: Quesadillas with green chilies, Chicken Tacos, Shrimp Fajitas, Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Casserole w/ Rice, Spaghetti w/ sauce we already have made
- Breakfast: Fruit+Yogurt+Toast (son)

Already have most of that stuff (need a few pieces of produce) from our rollover so it puts off our grocery shopping for a few days and cuts the cost a bit.

We're aiming for a super frugal (for us) September. August was busy with moving, selling the dirt bike, and other obligations like birthdays, but September is not.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Moving Forward:
- Credit cards are confusing the gently caress out of me on YNAB so I'm going back to debit transactions for everything but the RV. We can worry about cash back optimization when we're out of debt. Too much of a time sink.

I've had my financial poo poo together for a while now, and I still can't see using credit cards for everything because it would make tracking my finances a bunch harder. Studies have long shown that people who use credit for everything tend to spend more than those who use cash.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nocheez posted:

I've had my financial poo poo together for a while now, and I still can't see using credit cards for everything because it would make tracking my finances a bunch harder. Studies have long shown that people who use credit for everything tend to spend more than those who use cash.

How is it hard to track credit cards? I don’t use debit for anything and I track everything without issue. Spend to your budget, not your card limit / checking balance.

Knyteguy posted:

Are you carrying or paying down a credit card balance? I could see that making it confusing. I keep my cards on budget so a payment is just a transfer from checking to credit card?

https://www.youneedabudget.com/how-to-manage-credit-cards-in-ynab/

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 9, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ayyy where's the September recap

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

:zuarug:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
What did you buy, KG?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Update time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bump, still waiting KG

April
Jul 3, 2006

I'm guessing either bitcoin, because KG seems extremely susceptible to FOMO, or a vacation because poo poo got too tense at home.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Ah you never know, they could have serious stuff going on (sick family member or child, for example) or things are going good enough that he just forgot about the thread.

Key word 'could'.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
If things were going well it'd be nice to hear that.

The last time KG dropped off the forums he encumbered himself with ~$80k of frivolous consumerism debt that depreciates faster than the interest on it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

If things were going well it'd be nice to hear that.

The last time KG dropped off the forums he encumbered himself with ~$80k of frivolous consumerism debt that depreciates faster than the interest on it.

And the time before that he bought a camaro, and the time before that a corolla, if memory serves.

KG, post the corvette.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Dude went full Houseboat, calling it now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BloodBag posted:

And the time before that he bought a camaro, and the time before that a corolla, if memory serves.

KG, post the corvette.

the C8 is like $60,000 dollars and eligible for better rates than a RV as well as lower depreciation so honestly it would be at minimum a better with money decision

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the C8 is like $60,000 dollars and eligible for better rates than a RV as well as lower depreciation so honestly it would be at minimum a better with money decision

He's already gone straight boomer with the RV, why stop there when boomer endgame is wraparound oakleys and a vette? Bonus points for a sick chopper to take to the ice house.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

He’s probably too busy getting out of debt to post. Good for you night guy!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It's been almost two weeks, I need more updates to the Knyteguy saga drat it

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I wonder when they'll start understanding that when they start 'forgetting' about the thread it is immediately apparently they did a bad

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm excited for no-update November.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we need a what stupid poo poo did KG buy poll in this thread

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I'll vote for a new fancy TV and a stupidly expensive surround sound system, for the new apartment

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Super fast gaming PC for his wife that does nothing but browse pinterest. I swear he's already done this once in the previous threads.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vaping poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

new drumkit

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Saw the new posts and actually thought KG might have updated lmao

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Wonder who will win the zaurg/knyteguy budget-off.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

subpar anachronism posted:

I wonder when they'll start understanding that when they start 'forgetting' about the thread it is immediately apparently they did a bad

I mean, it's pretty obvious, it's just annoying.

DoctorTristan posted:

Saw the new posts and actually thought KG might have updated lmao

Same. :smith:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

KG post the money

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Vaping related acute lung injury

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Followed Goon advice, left free (if substandard) living situation to get an apartment, sold mobile home, life poo poo blew up, now stuck in lease with crippling monthly rental cash burn, sucking dick for $20s behind the K-Mart to make rent payments.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

SlyFrog posted:

Followed Goon advice, left free (if substandard) living situation to get an apartment, sold mobile home, life poo poo blew up, now stuck in lease with crippling monthly rental cash burn, sucking dick for $20s behind the K-Mart to make rent payments (on a $5k MacBook Pro for my spouse for gaming)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Rarely are things improvements to the original, but you have decidedly accomplished that. Kudos sir.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Lookin forward to that November recap KG

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Oops I Forgot October heading into No Update November into Didn't Do poo poo December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I know it’s only December but yeah it seems like the snow came already for KG