Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Might also need a rollcage to pass rollover regs for some organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Also given that it’s a convertible the roll bar requirements would be annoying.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Might also need a rollcage to pass rollover regs for some organizations.

Yeah this

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It's got fixed hoops. PCA will allow it as-is, though you will want to run with the top on to avoid the need for arm restraints.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Why isn't a Boxster ideal for an HPDE?

It's a Boxster Spyder, ie the one with a tent for a roof. Part of it is avoiding the convertible top requirements/issues, part of it is the fact that I'm not going to be winning Spec Miata any time soon, so trying to learn to race on a car with 2-3x the power (and 2-3x the consumable cost) seems silly.

SlapActionJackson posted:

It's got fixed hoops. PCA will allow it as-is, though you will want to run with the top on to avoid the need for arm restraints.

Yeah, I might do an HPDE next year with the local PCA chapter, but don't want to make it consistent.

Phone posted:

Arrive and drives are probably the best way to do cheap endurance racing. You’re going to need your own gear (suit, gloves, boots, underwear, Hans, etc) which will cost at least 1500 or so to just get into a car.

Expect at least $2k on the low end for arrive and drive (and walk away) for a few driving stints, but don’t get sticker shock if some teams are asking $4k or 5k a weekend for ~4-6 hours in the car. Expect more from teams who are explicit about you walking away from the weekend owing nothing and less from teams who say that you’re on the hook for putting it into the wall/another car.

Is it unreasonable to expect to pay more like 1-2k? I've seen $1k being thrown around as a reasonable number for a price to pay in a Lemons car for the weekend, but maybe that's not the case? What's the best way of finding a "good" person/team that does this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For chump, 1k seems extremely, extremely low.

Entry fee is usually about 1-1.5k, and that doesn’t cover anything outside of being able to show up. Going into consumables, figure at least one set of brake pads and one set of tires, and then fuel on top of that. I don’t see why people would rent out a seat if it didn’t cover at least half of the expenses for the weekend, and that’s even including good guy discounts and working on the car before, etc.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Probably posting on the message boards for the sanctioning body or region where you're racing. All the amateur endro stuff I worked on was a mix people who helped build the car and people who paid for the tires. It wasn't chump/lemons though.

I remember one year one of our drivers called and cancelled the night before the race. I was talking to a guy who's car had just blown up in practice with no spare so we threw him in. He was good and did a bunch more with us for years. Not a plan but reminded me of it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Phone posted:

For chump, 1k seems extremely, extremely low.

Entry fee is usually about 1-1.5k, and that doesn’t cover anything outside of being able to show up. Going into consumables, figure at least one set of brake pads and one set of tires, and then fuel on top of that. I don’t see why people would rent out a seat if it didn’t cover at least half of the expenses for the weekend, and that’s even including good guy discounts and working on the car before, etc.

Oh, I was thinking this was 1-2k per person, with 4-5 drivers, which should cover weekend expenses, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Per person.

Some teams do it per stint, ex: 1.5k gets you in the car for 1 stint (~2 hours), and then if you want to do more stints you pay like $750 per or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What orgs run in the PacNW? Looks like I have a firm timeline on moving to Washington -- July 2020 :v:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

What orgs run in the PacNW? Looks like I have a firm timeline on moving to Washington -- July 2020 :v:

It's just SCCA and you'll mostly be racing in Portland since NWR SCCA has only had a Majors event the last couple of years. ORSCCA is much more active.

Also, If anyone is interested. I'm selling my 1.6 Spec Miata. I've also got a Formula 500 car if anyone wants a serious project.

Edit: I forgot that there's also ICSCC for non national club racing. https://www.icscc.com/

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 10, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

NinjaTech posted:

It's just SCCA and you'll mostly be racing in Portland since NWR SCCA has only had a Majors event the last couple of years. ORSCCA is much more active.

Also, If anyone is interested. I'm selling my 1.6 Spec Miata. I've also got a Formula 500 car if anyone wants a serious project.

Edit: I forgot that there's also ICSCC for non national club racing. https://www.icscc.com/

Got pics and details? I know some people who might be interested. Probably not but I can forward it on to them.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

honda whisperer posted:

Got pics and details? I know some people who might be interested. Probably not but I can forward it on to them.

It's a 1990, has 2 weekends on a Loying's built engine. Needs the new Penske shocks for next season. The body is a little banged up from the PO but there's no structural damage anywhere. Comes with a set of unmounted sticker rains, used drys, 1 sticker tire I won in a raffle and 2 spare wheels. The data logger is a Racepak G2X, I've never used the data logging part of it but the digital dash and gps lap timer are great. I'm looking to get $7000 for it but willing to negotiate. It's been a really good fun car.

https://imgur.com/a/s6gFeni

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

yusssssssssssssss

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

yusssssssssssssss

ayyyy. Looks like I'm gonna have to just go back to bieks with you guys

I looked into what ninatech mentioned and it seems like most of the stuff up there is w2w for cars and it isn't a bunch of tracks within an hours drive for an 8 month season like it is here.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 10, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

NinjaTech posted:

It's a 1990, has 2 weekends on a Loying's built engine. Needs the new Penske shocks for next season. The body is a little banged up from the PO but there's no structural damage anywhere. Comes with a set of unmounted sticker rains, used drys, 1 sticker tire I won in a raffle and 2 spare wheels. The data logger is a Racepak G2X, I've never used the data logging part of it but the digital dash and gps lap timer are great. I'm looking to get $7000 for it but willing to negotiate. It's been a really good fun car.

https://imgur.com/a/s6gFeni

Forwarded, if anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Edit: rough location?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

BlackMK4 posted:

ayyyy. Looks like I'm gonna have to just go back to bieks with you guys

I looked into what ninatech mentioned and it seems like most of the stuff up there is w2w for cars and it isn't a bunch of tracks within an hours drive for an 8 month season like it is here.

If you dont mind HPDE, there are (4) tracks: Ridge, Portland, Pacific, Oregon

There are a lot of orgs that run out of them (Turn 2, Proformance, HoD, SCCA, etc.). There is a lot of cheaper “Wet Season” at the tracks if you dont mind driving in the wet.

For W2W, endurance series occasionally drop through and Cascade Sports Car Club runs out at Portland

There is no time attack type competitive racing in the area.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

honda whisperer posted:

Forwarded, if anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Edit: rough location?

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's in Renton, WA. Oh, I messed up. It's actually got 2 sets of drys that are mounted, so one of those sets could be used for the wet tires.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 10, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks, ill pass it along

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nollij posted:

RIP S2000

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe, but hopefully not. Seems like the money is already burned, may as well keep the worthless pile of ash :hmmyes:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
They have SCCA time trials but the group was pretty small last time my friend ran his K24 CRX in it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe, but hopefully not. Seems like the money is already burned, may as well keep the worthless pile of ash :hmmyes:

I hope not too, that is a cool car I like reading about.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
11C, wet, and RE71s? Nothing could possibly go wrong.

loving runway lights. I'm pretty happy I avoided body damage though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nollij posted:

If you dont mind HPDE, there are (4) tracks: Ridge, Portland, Pacific, Oregon

There are a lot of orgs that run out of them (Turn 2, Proformance, HoD, SCCA, etc.). There is a lot of cheaper “Wet Season” at the tracks if you dont mind driving in the wet.

For W2W, endurance series occasionally drop through and Cascade Sports Car Club runs out at Portland

Don't forget Mission Raceway. Roughly 5 hrs from portland.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

11C, wet, and RE71s? Nothing could possibly go wrong.

loving runway lights. I'm pretty happy I avoided body damage though.

Aww, damnit, I hope it isn't much more than a strut, lca, and wheel :(

Arizona Motorsports Park
Saturday - picked up two new RC1s through contingency by winning TT4 as the local hoosier guy was running his new 1LE Camaro.
Sunday - picked up one new RC1 via second place, Hoosier guy was back. He did a 46, I only managed a 48.

Won TA both days, but who gives a poo poo since there was like one other person in my class each day, though I was top time regardless of class (out of 11) on Sunday, which was nice. I'm just running it to finish out the year, at this point.

Anyway, that stuff over with... I tried running the RC1s at higher pressure on Saturday, they did not like it at all, they felt like greasy dog poo poo and were done after two laps, would not recommend. I ended up back down at 34-35 hot by the last session and they acted like a proper tire again.

I also destroyed the driver side rear wheel bearing, it started making noise on Saturday and it was straight up howling by the end of Sunday. OEM hub and bearing on the way.

I've been slowly pushing the grip balance of the car forward, and it has been working out well, but the car has started picking up the inside rear in a few slower corners if I get up on the curbs. Since it is still the OEM torsen it'll spin up quick and make a pretty good bang when it finds ground again. Not sure if it is related to pushing more grip to the front :v:

e: the tires are corded

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 16, 2019

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Aww, damnit, I hope it isn't much more than a strut, lca, and wheel :(

Control arm, tie rod, wheel, strut. So far. About to put the car into storage and will be pulling everything out of the front end.

The most annoying part is I have a 99 m3 and the LCAs have been on backorder since mid 2018. Likely will never get made again. I can use '95 arms and offset bushings to get close to mine, but it's technically not legal for my autoX class.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How does SCCA handle that kind of thing? Do they expect people to run used stuff?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I imagine they might start writing exceptions if the parts don't exist.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jonathan posted:

Don't forget Mission Raceway. Roughly 5 hrs from portland.

I’ve only ever done drags at Mission when I lived in Bham. The surface looked pretty rough outside of the strip. There any reason to go there besides variety from the other tracks?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nollij posted:

I’ve only ever done drags at Mission when I lived in Bham. The surface looked pretty rough outside of the strip. There any reason to go there besides variety from the other tracks?

not really. The drags are great because it's under sealevel there, barometer wise. And if you're going to travel that far, might as well go to Area27. Much nicer facility and the staff aren't a bunch of condescending assholes because you're not a nostalgia nitro car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
https://livestream.com/accounts/1658248/events/8851738

Afternoon wtac sessions just started, pro out right now

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

https://livestream.com/accounts/1658248/events/8851738

Afternoon wtac sessions just started, pro out right now

:love:

Shame about Under

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah. They've been working on the car, possible it will get a lap in tomorrow but it's not going to be the same. Wing was completely ripped off, one side of the splitter is broken, I guess there's structural damage they're currently trying to fix.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 18, 2019

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Odds that Tilton actually does a 100% run this weekend without breaking?

Nothing like using the race weekend for your first shakedown.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Not much worse than for anyone else? But yeah Kosta mentioned over 40psi and nawwls. Be fun to watch anyway. I'm probably going to be off in the corner of our MTB group end of year party tonight watching it on my phone.

968's splits were way up on that 1:20.2 run and they appeared to lose power down the front straight. Also during hottest part of the day. I won't be surprised by a 1:18 this morning.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you haven't watched the morning pro session, get on there now and rewind about 25 min.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That thing came apart like a bomb

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Video of RP968's 1:19.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfWsd8annwg

I was expecting a little more improvement over last year's 1:19.8 though. Although MCA wound up going a bit slower.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I finished my first set of RE-71s this weekend. I was pretty happy with them overall. I feel like braking performance was the biggest weakness compared to the NT01s I used to run. I probably could have gotten another session or two out of them (HPDE only, ~20 min sessions), but I scheduled some private coaching with a former pro driver in a week. I've had a pair of RS4s sitting in the garage waiting for the Bridgestones to die, so I'm having those put in. This way I have some fresh rubber for the coaching sessions. I'm pretty pumped about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I finished my first set of RE-71s this weekend. I was pretty happy with them overall. I feel like braking performance was the biggest weakness compared to the NT01s I used to run. I probably could have gotten another session or two out of them (HPDE only, ~20 min sessions), but I scheduled some private coaching with a former pro driver in a week. I've had a pair of RS4s sitting in the garage waiting for the Bridgestones to die, so I'm having those put in. This way I have some fresh rubber for the coaching sessions. I'm pretty pumped about that.

That's badass. Who did you go through to schedule that? How much does something like that cost?