Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

It's hard to go slower than "stopped".

Also, being able to buy 'in game' vehicles in a game about 'in game' vehicles with 'in game' currency, wow, that's incredibly impressive and never done before bleeding edge visonary tech wizardry.

:lol:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
What's visionary is that you cannot get "in game currency" in game (or at least in any reasonable time or just giving up after falling through floor for 20th time in one hour, or getting killed by stairs)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Star citizen is actually a biting satire on the american dream

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

stonetoss is a known nazi cartoonist from the politoons thread.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

It's hard to go slower than "stopped".

Also, being able to buy 'in game' vehicles in a game about 'in game' vehicles with 'in game' currency, wow, that's incredibly impressive and never done before bleeding edge visonary tech wizardry.

Wait when they will be able to log in at the same place where they logged out. A revolution of the gaming sphere.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Playground Games are owned by Microsoft now.

So in effect, Michael Lightfoot has decided that working at an evil publisher-led company is better than at CIG :laugh:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zzr posted:

Wait when they will be able to log in at the same place where they logged out. A revolution of the gaming sphere.

Whoa, steady on there, now that's bleeding edge stuff that us mere mortals can only dream of in game, don't let all those other games that do this without fanfare or fuss fool you, they all fake it and Start Citizer doesn't do fake game mechanics despite what the code is incapable of.

:D

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Quavers posted:

So in effect, Michael Lightfoot has decided that working at an evil publisher-led company is better than at CIG :laugh:

Not just an evil publisher, but THE most evil publisher since they were the ones to leave a nice boot imprint on CR's arse and a doorknob imprint on his forehead the last time their paths crossed.

Good luck and godspeed to the guy for going to work at a real company tbh :golfclap:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Microsoft. The same Microsoft that had to push CR out in order to get Freelancer actually finished.

Hey, maybe he knows something!

Oh my, just imagine the lulz to be had if CIG landed on hard times and CR had to sell 51% or more of the company in order to get enough funding, then MS came in and kicked his rear end to the kerb in order to get the game delivered.

"Original concept - Chris Roberts"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sitting with a total of two comments for over an hour, now removed from the front page of r/StarCitizen.

Edit: It's back, an hour later.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 8, 2019

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yamiks wasn't even getting 30 FPS with a 1st gen thread ripper!!! How are you not outraged!!

I don't even know what a thread ripper is and I'm infuriated!!

Star Citizen is big! That must mean it has big threads!

RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR AT YOUR THREADS!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That filthy leaver...

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dementropy posted:

Sitting with a total of two comments for over an hour, now removed from the front page of r/StarCitizen.

he abandoned the dream, there's no need to waste mental energy on suppressive persons leavers

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 8, 2019

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
LMAO , loving Annabelle, always present to whip the hype train up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hazamuth posted:

stonetoss is a known nazi cartoonist from the politoons thread.

> poisontaco leaves chat

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Don't you guys know Star Citizen is pioneering one-of-a-kind video game technology such as......*checks notes*........ "inventory management"... and *squints*.... "basic multiplayer functions."

These things take time to make from scratch.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

She's there to cancel out any and all pessimism, being all wrecklessly optimistic and such.

Everyone knows by now what Citizencon will be, overhyped, hollow, sales pitch heavy, marketting wankerteering at it's finest.

The show as ever will feature a long and very dull presentation, where very few things work, CR wears the same black turtleneck as Elizabeth Holmes but talks/stammers with a far squeakier voice than her, Sandi breaks out either the dazzle camo or the little girls nighting-gown again, the fans sweat stench once again overpowers the nearby Chillipowder, Fart gas, World spices, Amonia storage, Cadaver reheaters, and Vomitarium factories, and us goons endlessly laugh at all the janky poo poo and stuff they said they'd show but dont. :)

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

So... they’re just gonna read open mic fan faction at this year’s CitizenCon?

That does sound like an improvement tbh.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

FailureToReport posted:

Steampunk lol

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
ROCKET EXPLOSIONS DONT FOLLOW PLANETARY ROTATIONS

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

So... they’re just gonna read open mic fan faction at this year’s CitizenCon?

That does sound like an improvement tbh.

Maybe they will read Stimpire copypaste.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
dreams.txt

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo, those replies. They are all really jaded on Spectrum. All the true believers really did exit to Reddit long ago, didn't they?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
GUARDFEQUENCY: I want my Beta Back Ships Back

:tinfoil: speculations aplenty. Most interesting is that Chris Roberts, having failed to hit certain agreed upon investor targets, may be having to pass control to Erin. Hence Erin’s appearance in the last Pillar Talk and Chris’s general public absence in 2019.

Tony thinks that the Calder investment wasn’t a onetime, upfront buy and was instead conditional and is coming in tranches tied to milestones. Milestones which may not be being met. (Especially true on the Squadron side, which seemed the primary draw to the Calders.)

Chris is so critical to megawhale confidence that such a change, even if true, wouldn’t be admitted publicly. Too many people have bought into a heretical variant of The Pledge, “We gave Chris money so he could make the game he always wanted to make.” Some would punish the company if they thought a big evil investor sidelined Chris.

I don’t buy this, not completely. The recent Board changes don’t seem to strengthen Calder’s hand or oversight. Plus, passing things to Erin isn’t exactly gamechanging. He flounders much like Chris does, only less articulately.

What I do find plausible is that the Calders may not be entirely pleased with the pace of development. The Squadron Holiday livestream back in 2017 should be watched anew for what it truly was, a Hail Mary investor pitch video complete with a star packed vertical slice, all held together with duct tape, twine and dreams. 2020 was, presumably, the target release date being communicated then. The year when bread cast upon the water was going to be coming home on every wave. It was, as with every predicted Squadron release date since 2012, utter crap. It wouldn’t be surprising if people putting $46 million in might be less forgiving about that than chumps putting in $60. But if and how CIG might be forced to change as a result of such disappointment is anyone’s guess.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

It wouldn’t be surprising if people putting $46 million in might be less forgiving about that than chumps putting in $60. But if and how CIG might be forced to change as a result of such disappointment is anyone’s guess.

Luckily for CIG they honor actual contracts as well as they honor their pledge. This is the time to see if they actually said the truth and do treat investors the same as backers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

:tinfoil: speculations aplenty. Most interesting is that Chris Roberts, having failed to hit certain agreed upon investor targets, may be having to pass control to Erin. Hence Erin’s appearance in the last Pillar Talk and Chris’s general public absence in 2019.

Tony thinks that the Calder investment wasn’t a onetime, upfront buy and was instead conditional and is coming in tranches tied to milestones. Milestones which may not be being met. (Especially true on the Squadron side, which seemed the primary draw to the Calders.)

Chris is so critical to megawhale confidence that such a change, even if true, wouldn’t be admitted publicly. Too many people have bought into a heretical variant of The Pledge, “We gave Chris money so he could make the game he always wanted to make.” Some would punish the company if they thought a big evil investor sidelined Chris.

I don’t buy this, not completely. The recent Board changes don’t seem to strengthen Calder’s hand or oversight. Plus, passing things to Erin isn’t exactly gamechanging. He flounders much like Chris does, only less articulately.

What I do find plausible is that the Calders may not be entirely pleased with the pace of development. The Squadron Holiday livestream back in 2017 should be watched anew for what it truly was, a Hail Mary investor pitch video complete with a star packed vertical slice, all held together with duct tape, twine and dreams. 2020 was, presumably, the target release date being communicated then. The year when bread cast upon the water was going to be coming home on every wave. It was, as with every predicted Squadron release date since 2012, utter crap. It wouldn’t be surprising if people putting $46 million in might be less forgiving about that than chumps putting in $60. But if and how CIG might be forced to change as a result of such disappointment is anyone’s guess.

Big if true.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

CIG can't even admit to what's happened with Ben, of course they're going to hold on to whatever info they have on Chris' constant absence.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo, those replies. They are all really jaded on Spectrum. All the true believers really did exit to Reddit long ago, didn't they?

You can't be a true believer and actually have contact with the game. The closer you are to playing it the more cynical you become (unless your income depends on hype generation).

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I for one am extremely confident that this bunch of chumps who I wouldn't trust with a bathroom hall pass are 100% right on the money about the inner workings of a company that has scammed them, repeatedly, for seven years straight.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually know anything about this podcast except that they've apparently recorded nearly 300 episodes about Star Citizen)

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Anyone have a list or chart or something of ships that were sold but still aren't in the game yet? A buddy was asking me about it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't actually know anything about this podcast

It’s a space game and space news podcast, not an SC only show.

So they cover SC, Elite, NMS, NASA, Space X, etc. Tony (a lawyer) is their resident skeptic / critic of SC and he tends to like speculating on subjects that freak backers out. A lot of backers hate him because he stays in friendly, semi-regular contact with Derek and isn’t afraid to take a heretical position on occasion.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Regrettable posted:

Anyone have a list or chart or something of ships that were sold but still aren't in the game yet? A buddy was asking me about it.

Here I made you a thing:

Key:
Red X: Sold but not implemented
Yellow Slash: Implemented but crippled by lack of AI for turrets- effectively a big lump of useless guns
Orange Slash: Implemented but crippled by missing gameplay elements- refuel mechanic or salvage mechanic or missile mechanic, etc

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Thank you kind sir.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

Here I made you a thing:

have they made the tiny fighter on constellation work out of said constellation yet, or is it still a paperweight in there?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Truga posted:

have they made the tiny fighter on constellation work out of said constellation yet, or is it still a paperweight in there?

Per usual...what does your heart say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Colostomy Bag posted:

Per usual...what does your heart say?

Star Citizen is good again, so... yes, absolutely yes!

Everyone, go buy an Idris.