Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"We can't protect THE GAYS! Dogs and cats will marry! People will riot in the streets!"

So you’re saying forty years of darkness? Earthquakes? Volcanos? The dead rising from the grave? Human sacrifice?

. . . mass hysteria?

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jaxyon posted:

90% of a group of people will trust what a famously awful con man says over their own family by a huge margin should worry you. That's a cult that will do almost anything.

I had already written off those exact people as irredeemable morons, I'm not sure what step 2 is supposed to be?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
People still believe in and fondly think of the confederacy so it's no surprise that people will continue to support and believe in Trump long after he is a disgraced (and hopefully impeached) ex president. Hopefully whatever reconstruction happens after his presidency is over is far more thorough and effectively executed than what we did in the south after the war.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh god they just switched to WhatsApp instead of text messaging, didn't they?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Super-Id posted:

People still believe in and fondly think of the confederacy so it's no surprise that people will continue to support and believe in Trump long after he is a disgraced (and hopefully impeached) ex president. Hopefully whatever reconstruction happens after his presidency is over is far more thorough and effectively executed than what we did in the south after the war.

major branches of Merican protestantism have their roots in Millerism and The Great Disappointment. humans are stupid as gently caress and will sunkcost into oblivion.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Lemming posted:

Don't put rabbits in water they can easily go into shock and die

Unless your rabbit is participating in properly supervised arthritis therapy

https://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/heidi-the-rabbit-goes-swimming-in-a-lifejacket-to-help-with

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/TwippingVanilla/status/1112378093325320192

The third panel is what TERFs want because they hate us so much.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh god they just switched to WhatsApp instead of text messaging, didn't they?

Where are the snap chat accords, ambassador?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Taerkar posted:

37% of Strong Trump Supporters are no longer invited to family functions.

I 'love' how much of the anti-Trans argument is based on the whole "I declare I am a woman for the next ten minutes" absolute idiocy. And I really 'love' how it has been successfully used to justify horrible poo poo.

I also "love" how trans men either aren't a concern or simply don't exist in the regressive's world.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am loving how bad everyone is at infosec.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Not seeing how one can say gorsuch is swing vote when the fucker says this

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1181604598303399937

We're hosed.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181573061176430592
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181573358053466112
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181573486164230144
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181593502167261185

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The end point of "what if the US Marshals really do collectively decide to tell federal judges to gently caress off" when pressed by the legislative branch would be the Sergeant at Arms of the legislative body going around to arrest people, probably including a few US Marshals, and federal judges agreeing that it's cool and good when someone tries to seek a legal remedy for their imprisonment. Alternatively, I guess the comedy option is domesticating and moving to enforce a federal judgment that the federal judge will be happy to grant against someone in state court.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SCOTUS is an extension of a Republican White House. It is not apolitical or objective. Roberts is a liar when he says SCOTUS is not partisan.

The only solution is packing the courts.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Given the silence of most of the senate I'm just imagining Lindsey Graham questioning Giuliani alone in the senate chambers without anyone filming it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
So, uh, if I live in a state with no LGBT discrimination laws and work remotely for a company that's located in a state that DOES, am I protected by that other state's laws since that's where my employer is?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Based on Rudy's sheer stark raving madness, I don't think that will go how Lindsey think's it will...

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shifty Pony posted:

I also "love" how trans men either aren't a concern or simply don't exist in the regressive's world.

That's actually a little complicated. From the radical feminist side of TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminism), a woman invading a man's space by being a trans-man would be seen as a transgression in the proper direction. From the academic perspective that basically no real TERF has any more, expanding women's territory by passing as a man in a man's space could be seen as a liberating and positive thing.

But... you know, it's mostly because of the modern concept that a woman pretending to be a man is still a woman and having a woman look at your dick is a good thing. Because conservatives are gross perverts and everything about this is projection and always has been. Yay!

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 8, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

cr0y posted:

I am loving how bad everyone is at infosec.

donnie chud : god why is this Onion so slow, mmmmmm well I guess I just disable all this stuff to make it go faster huh.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Based on Rudy's sheer stark raving madness, I don't think that will go how Lindsey think's it will...

They’ll never have Rudy in.

They’re going to hold sham investigations just to create a counter narrative.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think it's explicit but there's a subconscious bathroom warrior "logic" where women "becoming" men isn't so bad because men are the superior gender, while being male to female transgender is deeply transgressive. It's the same thinking that makes Christian fundamentalists get a lot madder about gay men having sex than gay women.

This isn't entirely a recent thing, in Early Modern Europe the general thinking was there was only one gender and that was male. Women were just imperfect, not fully formed men.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

TulliusCicero posted:

Graham can't help it. He has brain damage from when his dad used to give him moon shine as a baby

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1181623366819700736?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

rudy said he wasnt gonna do it with the senate either.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Getting harder and harder to use "I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to do that" as an excuse

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wait, you mean that Trump supporters are braindead cultists? Well, I NEVER! :v:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

xeria posted:

So, uh, if I live in a state with no LGBT discrimination laws and work remotely for a company that's located in a state that DOES, am I protected by that other state's laws since that's where my employer is?
Whichever one fucks over you - the sniveling peasant who should be thanking White Jesus that a Job Creator ever bothered to hire you - the most. As long as courts remain packed with spongebrained Regressives.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pellisworth posted:

I don't think it's explicit but there's a subconscious bathroom warrior "logic" where women "becoming" men isn't so bad because men are the superior gender, while being male to female transgender is deeply transgressive. It's the same thinking that makes Christian fundamentalists get a lot madder about gay men having sex than gay women.
They also think being transgender is a kink, not a complete realignment of your brain. This was the dominant way being trans was shown in media for a long, long time. If you come into it with that assumption (which you absolutely shouldn't, it's stupid), then it makes sense to their brains that these perverts, who are pretending to be women to get turned on and all horned up, would then want to sneak into women's bathrooms, because that's what pervy men do.

Again, every single thing they think is wrong, but you can understand it if you start with their dumb first principles.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/US_Stratcom/status/1181549829589258242

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

I'm also tired of hearing the 'true' part of this story, based on 'facts' and 'evidence'. Let's hear the raving lunatic side too.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CascadeBeta posted:

We're hosed.

Is the lack of societal upheaval in states that do have LGBTQ protections valid evidence? And also the lack of societal upheaval after Obergefell v. Hodges?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I do wonder if the court ruling against lgbt protections will invalidate the ones states have

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Bubbacub posted:

Is the lack of societal upheaval in states that do have LGBTQ protections valid evidence? And also the lack of societal upheaval after Obergefell v. Hodges?

There are a number of "studies" that have come out since Obergefell that have cited some deleterious effects to the national fabric. They're written by who you'd expect them to be, but fabricating evidence whole cloth to discredit something you personally don't like is how we do, now. A lot of it is cherry-picked, like, "women in homosexual marriages suffer even more income disparity than straight women because their combined income is less than it is in traditional marriage" points out a flaw in society and assigns the blame to gay marriage when it's a result of gender-based income inequality, but there's a lot of poo poo like that out there.

If someone wanted to, and I assume you know many someones do, making a case to repeal Obergefell wouldn't be all that difficult. And even if it were, the judges don't really decide things on the merits anyway.

Celexi posted:

I do wonder if the court ruling against lgbt protections will invalidate the ones states have

They probably wouldn't, but if the courts were feeling extra persnickety they could throw in some nasty legalese that makes it harder to write laws that offer that protections / easier to take it away in future.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
USPOL Fall: "Wow, okay."

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Celexi posted:

It won't, what's on trial here is the clarification of the federal statute. If there are laws passed for states, then that exists on the state level, not the federal level.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Pellisworth posted:

This isn't entirely a recent thing, in Early Modern Europe the general thinking was there was only one gender and that was male. Women were just imperfect, not fully formed men.

That and for the most part they don’t think trans men and lesbians even exist. The idea of men having desires out of the norm is disturbing, but a woman having agency is literally unthinkable.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

xeria posted:

You'd have to talk to a lawyer about that, if you're actually concerned.

On the SCOTUS: trying to figure out decisions based on arguments is worse than reading tea leaves. One of the 9 votes doesn't believe oral arguments should happen and barely pays attention.

Gorsuch's bitching could be just him worried about making a ruling too expansive, making a decision against, or idle musing.

On Graham: it's loving Lindsey Graham. He's been doing this for like two weeks now and all it got him is the other senators dodging questions about Trump AND him.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Celexi posted:

Not unless it is really really out there.

That reminds me, one of the "funny" things that is happening in the case is a bunch of big businesses asked the court to find that the CRA does include LGBTQ protections because it was hard for them to recruit in states where discrimination is allowed. They really want to pay people less by moving operations to cheap states but their software engineers won't move :qq:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ershalim posted:

A lot of it is cherry-picked, like, "women in homosexual marriages suffer even more income disparity than straight women because their combined income is less than it is in traditional marriage"

i appreciate the strong argument here that all men should raise children within committed, loving homosexual relationships because of their superior household income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Fine. Rudy should go before the Senate committee. He can waive any semblance of privilege he thought he had in the process. :getin: