Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let's All Continue To Take Ranaconda Totally Seriously ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, all i said was that Jericho wasn't maybe the best wrestler of all time, and people got angry. But now I know that he was the equal of the Rock and Austin and Hogan in star power and drawing ability, despite every single bit of evidence saying otherwise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Take the L and slink off

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

Take the L and slink off

never :colbert:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Starrcade 1997 was such a crappy show despite being WCW's biggest ever (?).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Max Coveri posted:

was that the one with the Fast Count That Wasn't on Sting?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

was that the one with the Fast Count That Wasn't on Sting?

yes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Coveri posted:

That was the second PPV I ever got. :smith: (first was Suvivor Series the month before, which was :smith: for different reasons)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Assuming you mean This Is Your Life and him winning the belt from The Rock, they're actually #5 and (not in the top 10)

1) Austin vs. Undertaker - June 28 1999 (9.5)
2) HHH/Undertaker/Shane vs. Austin/Rock/Vince - May 10 1999 (9.17)
3) The Stooges vs. The Mean Street Posse - May 10 1999 (8.61)
4) Rock & Lita vs. HHH & Trish Stratus - July 31 2000 (8.46)
5) The Rock, This is Your Life - September 27 1999 (8.39)
6) Benoit/Angle vs. Rock/Kane - July 24 2000 (8.35)
7) Shane McMahon vs. The Rock - May 1 2000 (8.23)
8) Vince McMahon Threatens Stone Cold Against Returning - April 24, 2000 (8.12)
9) Kane vs. Undertaker & Big Show - July 26, 1999 (7.81)
10) Steve Austin Bans Vince McMahon from Raw - July 26, 1999 (7.77)

??) The Rock vs. Mankind - January 4, 1999 (6.2/5.9)

I know that WWE for some reason claims that This is Your Life is their highest rated segment, but it isn't. And the Rock/Mankind title match (ft. Austin) is seen as a big milestone in terms of the tide turning in the Monday Night Wars, but even that is poetic license (Foley's Fairy Tale Victory vs. The Fingerpoke of Doom) than reality, because Raw started regularly beating Nitro in the ratings right after Wrestlemania 14, and the last time Nitro won head-to-head was in October 1998.

All ten of the top rated quarter hours are either a) segments featuring Rock and/or Austin or b) segments on shows with Rock and/or Austin in the main event immediately after them. Both (or I guess maybe all three, if you were thinking of Halftime Heat?) of Mick Foley's biggest segments were co-starring the Rock. I love Foley but it's not wrong to see him as a third wheel to Rock and Austin, though that still puts him ahead of anyone else not named Vince or maybe Undertaker in that era who were fifth or twelfth or forty-eighth wheels. I think his contribution to the Monday Night Wars is overlooked/minimized sometimes, especially by WWE, but it's really hard to compete with Rock or Austin as draws/needle movers.

Well that settles it, Foley was a smaller draw, and therefore a worse wrestler, than the mean street posse.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still think Kane should have won at WM14

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ahhhh Starrcade 97.
The big 'revenge on the nWo' show that didn't have any revenge on the nWo because Nash conveniently had chest pains and Hogan (probably) sabotaged his match so what should have been the biggest moment in WCW history had a huge asterisk that you don't usually see in pro wrestling.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

We’re all just gonna float right by the Mean Street Posse vs. Patterson and Briscoe at number 3, huh?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

We’re all just gonna float right by the Mean Street Posse vs. Patterson and Briscoe at number 3, huh?

Three posts up

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Pete Gas' gas mask move was awesome.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I just realized that Hulk Hogan's first WCW television appearance outside of that parade is never talked about in wrestling history. I've followed wrestling for years and I've literally never heard anybody even talk about it.

When was it? What happened?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Checking out that Double J pay chart again, and him making $500k in 2000 makes people freaking out about wrestlers getting similar from WWE to stay now seem ridiculous. Adjusted for inflation that $500k from 2000 is a bit over $700k now. Clearly WWE has been ruinous and a regressive force against the wages of wrestlers, in North America if not worldwide for the last 20 years. Wrestlers are the dumbest goddamn entertainers/athletes in the world. All the CTE of legit sports, but a pittance of the pay, and no union benefits or protections of an actor's guild/players' association.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm having a hard time finding it but does anyone have a link to that promo Hogan did where he talked about going down to the hood and being called wood

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

overmind2000 posted:

I'm having a hard time finding it but does anyone have a link to that promo Hogan did where he talked about going down to the hood and being called wood
I don't have a link handy but it's the 9/28/98 Nitro.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWj3I9L3sqg&t=314s

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If Triple H cut this promo on Raw next week it'd turn the entire company around

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss totally insane heel promos

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It was the 10 pm segment on the same show as the #2 match on an unopposed Raw that had the highest overall rating of any Raw ever. If you go by a different set of quarter hour breakdowns from PWI Almanac, pretty much the entire Top 10 should be the last 90 minutes of that episode, which featured:

Big Show vs. Paul Bearer
Sable vs. Debra in an evening gown Women's title match
Test vs. Bossman in a Coal Miner's Nightstick match
Mideon & Viscera vs. Cactus Jack in a hardcore handicap match
Bradshaw vs. Farooq in a lumberjack match
Jeff Jarrett vs. Val Venis
Chyna vs. Ken Shamrock
A Beaver Cleavage vignette

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Edge & Christian posted:

Big Show vs. Paul Bearer
Chyna vs. Ken Shamrock

maybe wrestling was always bad

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It was the 10 pm segment on the same show as the #2 match on an unopposed Raw that had the highest overall rating of any Raw ever. If you go by a different set of quarter hour breakdowns from PWI Almanac, pretty much the entire Top 10 should be the last 90 minutes of that episode, which featured:

Big Show vs. Paul Bearer
Chyna vs. Ken Shamrock
jesus christ how did both companies not just loving fold hahahahaha

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpZfwAQ8BM

lol Percy Pringle was so good "Please I'm not a wrassler, don't kill me, I'm not a wrassler"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpZfwAQ8BM

lol Percy Pringle was so good "Please I'm not a wrassler, don't kill me, I'm not a wrassler"

Oh hey it's one of the three TV appearances by The Union!

That "Ed Wood" joke from Zbyszko at the end aaaaalmost landed. That might be the closest he ever got to a good joke.

rujasu fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 8, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is Bryan Adams corpsing in that vid?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The entire gimmick of the episode was that Vince had just been kicked out of the Corporate Ministry by Shane and the CORPORATE MINISTRY was even more eviller than the Corporation or the Ministry of Darkness and had been terrible to everyone, so THE UNION was standing up to them and Commissioner Michaels showed up to randomly book punishment matches against the Corporation, so in that context, while the matches were awful, they were all come-uppances:

Big Show (Union, Face) vs. Paul Bearer (Corporate Ministry, heel)
Test (Union) vs. Bossman (Corporate Ministry)
Mideon & Viscera (Corporate Ministry) vs. Cactus Jack (Union, but so hardcore he can take on two big men)
Bradshaw vs. Farooq in a lumberjack match (Acolytes were Ministry, forced to fight each other with the Union outside)
Chyna (Corporate Ministry) vs. Ken Shamrock (Union)
Mean Street Posse (Corporate Ministry) vs. Patterson and Briscoe (Union adjacent)
Triple H & Undertaker & Shane (Corporate Ministry) vs. Austin & Rock & Vince (Babyfaces/Union adjacent)

The rest was just garden variety awful.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Raises hand
I actually liked the union because it made sense that faces would actually unite for fight the evil group instead of going it alone like an idiot. Or like a main eventer. You arn't a main eventer Test, seek strength in numbers.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Edge & Christian posted:

Actually a pretty decent match considering how bad the rest of the show was.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Raises hand
I actually liked the union because it made sense that faces would actually unite for fight the evil group instead of going it alone like an idiot. Or like a main eventer. You arn't a main eventer Test, seek strength in numbers.

Sure, though it's tough to say how well they would have worked out as a stable, since they lasted about two weeks before McMahon realized he didn't want to give anyone any ideas about "unions" being good in any way.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

An oral history of the Ministry of Darkness would be interesting reading although I’m not sure how much sourcing you’d get without letting WWE hack the history part off at the knees.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rujasu posted:

Sure, though it's tough to say how well they would have worked out as a stable, since they lasted about two weeks before McMahon realized he didn't want to give anyone any ideas about "unions" being good in any way.

It's fortunate Vince was less set in his ways in 1999. If somebody utters the word 'union' around him these days he will literally hate them to death.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

It's fortunate Vince was less set in his ways in 1999. If somebody utters the word 'union' around him these days he will literally hate them to death.
I think it's funny that WWE's ratings peaked overall in an episode where the workers banded together to beat the boss, so they dropped the storyline immediately, doubled down on the McMahons never getting beaten or going away, and their ratings were never that high ever again.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

LividLiquid posted:

So I just realized that Hulk Hogan's first WCW television appearance outside of that parade is never talked about in wrestling history. I've followed wrestling for years and I've literally never heard anybody even talk about it.

When was it? What happened?
Clash of the Champions XXVII. Hogan cut a promo with Gene. Later, Flair beat Sting to unify the WCW World Heavyweight and International World titles and cement his heel turn (Sherri showed up in Sting make-up then turned on him), then Hogan came out and challenged him. Video up on WWE's site.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Please refer to them by their full name which is the Union of People You OUghta Respect Son.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I always thought Mean Street Posse vs Patterson and Briscoe was the highest rated segment ever and am disappointed to learn it's not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dario the Wop posted:

Clash of the Champions XXVII. Hogan cut a promo with Gene. Later, Flair beat Sting to unify the WCW World Heavyweight and International World titles and cement his heel turn (Sherri showed up in Sting make-up then turned on him), then Hogan came out and challenged him. Video up on WWE's site.
Hey! Thanks! It's so weird that this isn't common knowledge. For such a big deal of a thing, I never see it even mentioned.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I always thought Mean Street Posse vs Patterson and Briscoe was the highest rated segment ever and am disappointed to learn it's not.

Was that the night the stooges came out to Real American? Because I remember marking out for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sean_bateman posted:

Was that the night the stooges came out to Real American? Because I remember marking out for it

I always wondered why they had that theme in No Mercy, I didn’t know it stemmed from an actual moment that they came out to it