Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShadeofBlue posted:

To be clear, in the rules back then, it was still "play" spells, not "cast" them. Eventually they realized it was confusing to have play mean so many different things (they also used "in play"), so they started using the terms "battlefield" and "cast."

Now I believe when they use "play" for those kinds of effects it is done so you can cast spells and play lands exiled from the same effect, but if it just says "cast" then you can't play your land for the turn from that pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the classiest way to remember your pact triggers? Anyone make any lit acrylic tokens?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

What’s the classiest way to remember your pact triggers? Anyone make any lit acrylic tokens?

Neon flashing light in the colour of the pact placed on top of your deck before you draw

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That's a sick idea and someone could probably make a bunch of Etsy money selling those.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
At least at FNM I put the resolved Pact card face up on top of my library instead of in my GY so I remember that I still need to do something with it. No idea if this would fly at comp REL though, I haven't really been paying attention.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I feel like that probably wouldn't fly.

Instead of actually working this afternoon I'm going to fire up AutoCAD and draft some 3d printable pact tokens.

EDIT: I'm thinking something like a big rear end pyramid that says PACT along the sides

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

I feel like that probably wouldn't fly.

Instead of actually working this afternoon I'm going to fire up AutoCAD and draft some 3d printable pact tokens.

EDIT: I'm thinking something like a big rear end pyramid that says PACT along the sides

Make one that has “Owning with Pacts in Magic” stenciled across it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Make one that has “Owning with Pacts in Magic” stenciled across it

is that a reference to something? I'm culturally illiterate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

is that a reference to something? I'm culturally illiterate

“Owning (the libs) with Facts and Logic”

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It pains me to the quick of my soul to say, but my LGS has too many insane PPC fans and Peterson heads to risk irony.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Putting cards on top of your deck is not allowed at competitive. I don't think it's even allowed at casual but nobody cares. Just put a die on top of it, then lift the die off, draw your card, and put the die back like I always used to do with sylvan library.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Putting cards on top of your deck is not allowed at competitive. I don't think it's even allowed at casual but nobody cares. Just put a die on top of it, then lift the die off, draw your card, and put the die back like I always used to do with sylvan library.

Yea that's what I do now, but I'm looking for something sicker. One of the big things I miss from playing table top war games years ago are the cool accessories and gadgets.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tattoo all possible upkeep reminders on yourself like Guy Pierce in Memento

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I swore an oath that I’m only going to get a tattoo if I get super jacked and can pull off a full Yakuza style back piece.

Edit: Totally unrelated, but something I’ve been wondering- how up to date are your guys’ local modern metas? The Urza decks are supposed to be this big bogeyman but nobody here is playing it.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 8, 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I played a modern tournament Sunday and there was one guy on urza. There was jund, uw control, ponza/Chandra tribal, a few death's shadow, another guy on tokens and burn. Plus some jank. It seems urza has been about slow on the uptake. Even fnm Friday had only one urza.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I played a modern tournament Sunday and there was one guy on urza. There was jund, uw control, ponza/Chandra tribal, a few death's shadow, another guy on tokens and burn. Plus some jank. It seems urza has been about slow on the uptake. Even fnm Friday had only one urza.

How is it normally? There was a bit of Phoenix back during its heyday, but there’s typically a lot of variety. For whatever reason Hollow One really took off back when it was cooking.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ilmucche posted:

That's not surprising considering it is the new deck and is made up chiefly of newer expensive cards that a lot of people probably haven't gotten yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That's not surprising considering it is the new deck and is made up chiefly of newer expensive cards that a lot of people probably haven't gotten yet.

Also it’s a $1600 deck with the biggest target imaginable painted on its head

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Get like a foot tall statuette in the color / general theme of your pact and put it in front of you when you cast one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has anyone here played Amulet post OUT? I’m hearing good things but I feel like the amulet-heads go nuts for every potential new card for a week or so. Mine are in the mail.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I play Tron, and I'm excited as hell to try it out with OUT this Thursday.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Valicious posted:

I play Tron, and I'm excited as hell to try it out with OUT this Thursday.

I simply don't get why it would work better than other options but I'm happy to see it work.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There was some post on Reddit about how the math for a single free t1 dig 5 works out to be a better card than Scrying in Tron decks but I can’t seem to find it.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

fadam posted:

Has anyone here played Amulet post OUT? I’m hearing good things but I feel like the amulet-heads go nuts for every potential new card for a week or so. Mine are in the mail.

Check out fpawlusz on YouTube and twitch. He plays only amulet titan and is constantly testing out new brews and new cards.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

fadam posted:

Edit: Totally unrelated, but something I’ve been wondering- how up to date are your guys’ local modern metas? The Urza decks are supposed to be this big bogeyman but nobody here is playing it.

there's usually 1 or 2 on the "best" deck or whatever but most people at the FNMs I choose to go to, unless there's a big GP coming up, are there to have a good time and play the decks they want to play while still getting reps in the format, so I don't use what I see at FNM (or whatever small LGS event you're going to) as an indication of much of anything

e: for the record that paradoxical outcome deck is extremely good

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lockdar posted:

Check out fpawlusz on YouTube and twitch. He plays only amulet titan and is constantly testing out new brews and new cards.

Oh drat I’ve never heard of this guy, good looking out friend.

EDIT: Insane how this is the only good Magic left thread on this forum (well I don't go into the Pauper or Commander threads so who knows). Stay safe out there folks.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 9, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fadam posted:

There was some post on Reddit about how the math for a single free t1 dig 5 works out to be a better card than Scrying in Tron decks but I can’t seem to find it.

As a person who puts forth a lot of :effort: on the podcast, I hate to poopoo others work, but the math on that seemed very sketch at best.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Go off, roast his rear end on your next episode.

My friend is excited to run four tonight in his Devoted Vizier combo deck. That deck already feels insanely consistent so I hope I dodge him.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I saw a GW eldrazi deck that cut the karn package and was running 4 OUaT alongside the 4 stirrings. Not sure how I feel about cutting karns but finding temples and TKS's far faster and more consistent is cool, plus it lets you find stuff like knight of autumn when you need it. Still like the karn alt-plan for that deck but the card is very good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Once Upon a Time has insanely good castfeel.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If they have one at the shop today I think I’m gonna buy and try an Oko in the flex creature spot in Amulet. It feels like between WAR, MH1, and Elsraine the past year has been some of the highest impact modern gain sets ever.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BTW this won't be a pioneer thread for a while at least, let things calm down and see if this has any staying power first.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pee pee doo doo modern is a bad format

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

pee pee doo doo magic is a bad game

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pee pee doo doo modern is a bad format

I went 3-0 again playing Vannifar Pod, that means there is hope

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hope is a mistake

also if anyone is going to make it to Eternal Weekend let me know. I don't have vintage cards anymore but I'll probably play in the legacy event with nic fit or lands or some other garbage rear end deck that will lose to RUG Delver and Turbo Depths and Tomik

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

hope is a mistake

also if anyone is going to make it to Eternal Weekend let me know. I don't have vintage cards anymore but I'll probably play in the legacy event with nic fit or lands or some other garbage rear end deck that will lose to RUG Delver and Turbo Depths and Tomik

I'm not going this year but I'll buy you VIP if you can mail me the play mat and hoodie.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm not going this year but I'll buy you VIP if you can mail me the play mat and hoodie.

ok

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
RIP legacy support at any major regular circuit

it was a fun ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

it was a fun ride

For like a year and a half.