Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
New NBC poll has support for Impeachment Inquiry at 55%. Removal is lower at 42% but we’re getting there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How is it that every guy that works with Trump sounds or looks like he's from an incredibly stupid version of the Godfather?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Ok, this neighborhood is down the way from me a bit. I guess I just wonder the relevance to USPOL?

Homelessness is a major issue in this country and this kind of abuse is fueling the epidemic and preventing us from working towards a solution. Homelessness tends to be intersectional issue of race, drug addiction, extreme economic inequality, and criminal justice

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
There is no way that Trump's insistence that he can't be investigated will lead to anyone coming back to his side. He can only continue to slowly lose people.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That'll end well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

so are they not invoking executing privilege anymore? they're just saying "nah, illegitimate investigation?"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

"gently caress you make me".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

How is it that every guy that works with Trump sounds or looks like he's from an incredibly stupid version of the Godfather?
Was it Eric or Jr. that was described as "The Fredo in a family that consists of nothing but Fredos"?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pellisworth posted:

so are they not invoking executing privilege anymore? they're just saying "nah, illegitimate investigation?"

Pretty much. And then if they would force a vote (they won't) then they'd claim it was illegitimate because it was mostly Democrats.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

So the play is basically: "impeach him for obstruction as fast as possible, please" so that McConnell can make this all go away and be done with this mess, huh?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Looks like the WH forwarded the letter to Maggie

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1181677820574982144

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

There is literally nothing they would say is legitimate so tell them to get hosed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

it appears to be whining that they're not getting due process

unfortunately for them (a) congress has absolute power to handle impeachment however it drat well wants; (b) nobody ever has a right to "due process" at the indictment stage, grand juries are secret. they're whining they don't get full trial rights at the investigation stage which is nonsense for morons.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

So now what? We now know Congressional subpoenas are useless.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
link to poll mentioned above: https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1181677172563558400

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

it appears to be whining that they're not getting due process

unfortunately for them (a) congress has absolute power to handle impeachment however it drat well wants; (b) nobody ever has a right to "due process" at the indictment stage, grand juries are secret. they're whining they don't get full trial rights at the investigation stage which is nonsense for morons.

they know the due process argument is dumb, it’s in bad faith. they said the same thing about kavanaugh, despite there being no property or liberty interest in becoming a supreme court justice

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
No way the senate votes to impeach on an obstruction charge...I guess American democracy is over

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1181680215858253824

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ahhh, all that wonderful access sucking up is working as intended!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

goethe.cx posted:

they know the due process argument is dumb, it’s in bad faith. they said the same thing about kavanaugh, despite there being no property or liberty interest in becoming a supreme court justice

Yeah, the consequences of impeachment are you lose a job, there's no justification for a standard of proof "beyond a reasonable doubt " either

But they're big babies who misinterpret the first amendment as "I can say anything I want without consequences" so...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The cracks are there, and Trump knows it. It's why his flunkies want this to go away. The longer this goes on and the more the insane baby-man lashes out, the worse this gets for him

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

half cocaine posted:

no they aren't, it just takes weeks / months for civil suits about them to work their way through the courts

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

"Hey can you proofread this please?"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rabble posted:

No way the senate votes to impeach on an obstruction charge...I guess American democracy is over

Don’t prognosticate the end of American democracy if you 1) think the senate votes on impeachment and 2) think this inquiry is about obstruction

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The House is toothless because of McConnell and Trump (and his counsel) knows it.

The Republicans control the SC, the Senate, and the Executive.

This isn't even a constitutional crisis. The battle is already over. Anything the House does just gets smashed by the Senate unless they start going full Thunderdome. Any legal action will get countered by the DoJ and the SC.

Welcome to our brave new world, democracy has failed.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 8, 2019

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

Hating on homeless people in Queens is completely unrelated to climate change?

Homeless people are just one of the many victims of climate change actually.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SchrodingersCat posted:

The House is toothless because of McConnell and Trump (and his counsel) knows it.

The Republicans control the SC, the Senate, and the Executive

This isn't even a constitutional crisis. The battle is already over. Anything the House does just gets smashed by the Senate unless they start going full Thunderdome.

It being over is why it's a constitutional crisis because if it's over already because the Congress is powerless then that is a constitutional crisis

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

Don’t prognosticate the end of American democracy if you 1) think the senate votes on impeachment and 2) think this inquiry is about obstruction

1) they meant convict, obviously.
2) this latest development will clearly lead to this investigation stalling, and obstruction becoming the new impeachable and provable offense.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no they aren't, it just takes weeks / months for civil suits about them to work their way through the courts

how'd that one for Barr play out, someone remind me

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah I am sure barr will enforce the results of those civil suits or send a us marshal anywhere

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

CommieGIR posted:

It being over is why it's a constitutional crisis because if it's over already because the Congress is powerless then that is a constitutional crisis

It isn't a constitutional crisis because there is still checks and balances. The congress is currently choosing not to enforce them.(McConnell is in Congress).

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

half cocaine posted:

Yea also I can't believe that trump firing pelosi last week actually worked!

The only subpoena that has been violated so far is the one issued to pompeo for documents on Ukraine, which was violated as of October 4th, last Thursday.

https://oversight.house.gov/sites/d...%20Subpoena.pdf

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

pkay posted:

It isn't a constitutional crisis because there is still checks and balances. The congress is currently choosing not to enforce them.(McConnell is in Congress).

How is the congress going to enforce anything? the Sargent at arms will start arresting people single-handily?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I know this just keeps being true over and over again, but isn't this yet another clear example of an impeachable offense that must be acted on immediately to stop the president from continuing to abuse his power?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hope you like Constitutional Crises because now you have one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pkay posted:

No it is because the Department of Justice will not uphold the checks and balances that it's supposed to be upholding independent from the executive and McConnell is in the Senate not Congress

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

skylined! posted:

Yea also I can't believe that trump firing pelosi last week actually worked!

The only subpoena that has been violated so far is the one issued to pompeo for documents on Ukraine, which was violated as of October 4th, last Thursday.

https://oversight.house.gov/sites/d...%20Subpoena.pdf

Is Mike Pompeo also out the country still?

Wierd how all these higher up involved dudes are suddenly out of the country...:thunk:

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Celexi posted:

How is the congress going to enforce anything? the Sargent at arms will start arresting people single-handily?

Impeaching and removal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope you like Constitutional Crises because now you have one.

throw it on the fuckin pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

No it is because the Department of Justice will not uphold the checks and balances that it's supposed to be upholding independent from the executive and McConnell is in the Senate not Congress

The Senate is one of the two chambers of Congress.