Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

SEAL’s serve a purpose, and are a useful force.

That said: Reform, Reform, Reform.

The GWOT has completely broken the SEAL community, and it’s gonna take years to unfuck.

I’ve always been thoroughly impressed with Special Forces soldiers. They’re an impressive lot. They have a huge breadth of mission that require a loving impressive tool set.

If your fortunate enough to get a chance to work with SF: Take It. There’s a better than good chance that you are going to be working with some of the best folks in the Army.

The friendliest prisoners in the supermax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

The GWOT has completely broken the SEAL community, and it’s gonna take years to unfuck.

I’ve always been thoroughly impressed with Special Forces soldiers. They’re an impressive lot. They have a huge breadth of mission that require a loving impressive tool set.

If your fortunate enough to get a chance to work with SF: Take It. There’s a better than good chance that you are going to be working with some of the best folks in the Army.

I got the best land navigation training from them. They explained it in a way that was easy to understand, and very easy to practically apply, and it shocked me that it wasn't the standard for doctrinal training.

I would advise not to let a one of them near your significant other, however. From my experience the #1 reason for tabs getting pulled was hooking up with another green beret's wife/girlfriend. Anyone without a tab' s SO was fair game.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I tried to read that but I just couldn't get past the dry as gently caress writing style.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have a former SF captain on my flag football team. He's chill af. He is also huge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Deptfordx posted:

I tried to read that but I just couldn't get past the dry as gently caress writing style.

Would you say it was dry...as sand

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's Delta Force doing anyway?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

aphid_licker posted:

:nsa:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

I got the best land navigation training from them. They explained it in a way that was easy to understand, and very easy to practically apply, and it shocked me that it wasn't the standard for doctrinal training.

I would advise not to let a one of them near your significant other, however. From my experience the #1 reason for tabs getting pulled was hooking up with another green beret's wife/girlfriend. Anyone without a tab' s SO was fair game.

And now I’m reminded of how one of Logan Melgar’s SEAL murderers went and hit on his wife later:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/navy-seal-who-attacked-green-beret-logan-melgar-later-hit-on-his-widow

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Post the state secrets you cowards

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The main problem that as I see it is there is no one in the navy that can do a sanity check. Lots of army generals might not have been SF, but enough were ranger or hell just basic infantry to know when something doesn't pass a smell test

I think once they moved past frogmen into actual fighters they should have been made part of the marines, or incorporated into it a bit more even if they technically stayed in the navy.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 1, 2019

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
SF guys seem to be pretty intelligent and well trained. Their CIF(or whatever they were called) teams could get a little seal-esque in getting too trigger happy with killing civilians. We mainly just made fun of them for not getting out on mission that often so they would go really hollywood with their missions. Landing far away and riding ATVs in while having AC-130s shower 105s everywhere.

My dad was SF but that was way back in the 70s. He says that the new guys are pretty much altar boys compared to when he was in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://www.firefighternation.com/2...bBgAR2xvUeIFCZM

Colling's Foundation B-17 9-0-9 likely burned...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 2, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's a total loss, along with five fatalities so far.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/at-least-five-after-collings-foundation-b-17-nine-o-nine-crash/

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

aphid_licker posted:

They're around

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.facebook.com/navalnews/videos/369168757369785/UzpfSTUwMDI4MzI5NjoxMDE1NjYyNzI5MDM0ODI5Nw/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AndreiBtvt/status/1180096594101903360

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

all they do is work out, drink corona and watch 300

source: I walked through their hooch once

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The map I made a few weeks ago wasn't high enough resolution so I created this monster.

https://easyzoom.com/image/154970

I'm going to add some annotations but am really curious what people can make out through my Grandfather's coloring.

For reference, this is a map my Grandfather made during WWII.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That doesn’t seem like a whole lot of ammo

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

FrozenVent posted:

Budget cuts!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Also that's not tetris

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

The rest is still in the tank because gently caress dragging it all out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CMD598 posted:

The rest is still in the tank because gently caress dragging it all out.

Gotta leave some in to launch the turret skyward when hit

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I went to Chernobyl last week. Ukrainian guards wouldn't let me fly my drone, though. I am absolutely hiring a stalker to sneak back in so I can fly it for some incredible footage.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Not great, not terrible.

those are some dope photos and that looks like an incredible and unique experience!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I went to Chernobyl last week. Ukrainian guards wouldn't let me fly my drone, though. I am absolutely hiring a stalker to sneak back in so I can fly it for some incredible footage.

They just opened Reactor 4 control room for tours.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Holy gently caress this owns.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Dang those are sweet. I thought they tore that radar array down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

They just opened Reactor 4 control room for tours.

Gotta fund those supersonic nuclear torpedoes somehow.

Edit: I definitely should've known better. :downs:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 7, 2019

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Chernobyl is in Ukraine not Russia.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

AlexanderCA posted:

Chernobyl is in Ukraine not Russia.

Yep. And judging by the state of the Ukrainian military I saw, they''d be using that to fund a rifle for every other soldier like the old Soviet days. No wonder it was going to be so disastrous if aid was withheld.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Sweet, I went a few years ago. Were you able to get on the roof of one of the apartment buildings? That was a pretty amazing view.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

YOU DIDN'T SEE GRAPHITE, YOU DIDN'T!

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Tyro posted:

Sweet, I went a few years ago. Were you able to get on the roof of one of the apartment buildings? That was a pretty amazing view.

I did not, our guide would only let us inside buildings briefly. Like I said, I'm definitely going back with a stalker.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

When you get down to it, doesn't look too different from modern downtown Volgograd.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I did not, our guide would only let us inside buildings briefly. Like I said, I'm definitely going back with a stalker.

Here's a few of my pics including a rooftop to whet your appetite. You can see the sarcophagus in the distance.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Tyro posted:

Here's a few of my pics including a rooftop to whet your appetite. You can see the sarcophagus in the distance.

I don't see any graphite

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

I don't see any graphite

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZyDvtX85Y

She doesn't isolate the piece until 7:25. Her channel has a ton of other :stare:-worthy Chernobyl/Pripyat stuff in it, like *climbing the Duga-3 array*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 8, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So how dangerous is that fragment to handle or be in close proximity to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm no health physicist but...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here you go:

She doesn't isolate the piece until 7:25. Her channel has a ton of other :stare:-worthy Chernobyl/Pripyat stuff in it, like *climbing the Duga-3 array*.

loving begging for finger cancer what the gently caress. Sure she'd have to keep it in her hand for a little while but drat thats dumb.

Flying_Crab posted:

So how dangerous is that fragment to handle or be in close proximity to?

Annual exposure limits:

So that output 17mSv/hour and the skin limit is 50mSv/year