Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Sounds like you need to stop making coffee for everyone else and let the place burn to the ground due to lack of caffeine. :getin:

Not to get all life coach but I deleted caffeine from regular consumption over a year ago and it owns. Not because I feel better or anything, but when I am really dragging hard and I splurge on a high caf tea, it kicks me in the rear end. In a good way, it's a straight up being tired deletion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the side effects of me working from home is I never get around to making coffee in the morning when it isn't a button press on a machine. I still do every once and while, but my caffeine habit has gone down a lot.

I'm also getting more sleep too which has lowered the need for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I would regret taking a 2100-0700 4x10 job, right? It seems like a step up in technologies/skills/title, but that schedule.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It depends - if you live in an area that would support you doing things outside of those hours so you can consistently either sleep before or after. Planning to sleep at the same time on the days where you're off shift would be important.

For fellows that work second or third shift that always is the key, just having a consistent schedule. 0700 get out of work and hit the gym, grab a drink, do the life stuff. If you live with someone or in a situation where you can't sleep during the day that may also be an issue. Hopefully the shift differential would make up for some of it, but it won't make up for all of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I may be talking out my rear end here but I feel like moving to a 3rd-shift position is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse for you compared to moving to another city if your biggest concerns are your mental health and (lack of a) support structure.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I may be talking out my rear end here but I feel like moving to a 3rd-shift position is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse for you compared to moving to another city if your biggest concerns are your mental health and (lack of a) support structure.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/shift-work-disorder/what-shift-work-disorder/living-coping-shift-work-disorder

quote:

Mental Health
Shift work disorder can increase the risk of mental health problems like depression. This may be because of the disruption of the circadian system (which regulates the release of different chemicals in the body). Shift work can also cause certain social issues that decrease wellbeing and happiness. If you work irregular hours, you might eventually feel “out of step” with the people in your family or social network.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5499504/

quote:

Working the night shift interferes with the circadian chronobiological rhythm, causing sleep disturbances, fatigue, and diminished well-being, and increases the risk of serious disease.

Basically yeah, if you have any health concerns, both mental and physical, maybe don't consider third-shift work.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If it gets you out of a call center I would take it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've usually just forwarded the old email so it's harder for them to miss.

I make a point of always finding the last email I forwarded on the same subject whenever people keep asking me for things they've already been sent. Got up to five forwards of the same message over an 8 month period before, and then the person quit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have this VB/Access monstrosity that takes like 15 minutes to refresh permissions and shiton

Someone was running that

While that was going on I changed a password for a monitoring tool

set password for xxx@yyy = password('forumsgoon69')
refresh privileges

WHOOOPS

hosed up everyone who was logged in and the phones lit up and people had to go reboot poo poo and login/logout

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My circadian rhythm has already been permafucked for most of my life :v:

I think I’ll at least see what they have to offer, I can always say no. And saying I’m not interested feels good, I got to do that with a job where the interviewer was extremely rude and disinterested.

E: the company has a 1.7/5 on Glassdoor. Never mind then.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 8, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Not to get all life coach but I deleted caffeine from regular consumption over a year ago and it owns. Not because I feel better or anything, but when I am really dragging hard and I splurge on a high caf tea, it kicks me in the rear end. In a good way, it's a straight up being tired deletion.

I quit coffee for a month due to blood pressure concerns. About halfway through week three, I was trying to figure out why I was still having withdrawal symptoms... when I realized that that wasn't withdrawal, it was just what life is like without coffee.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: the company has a 1.7/5 on Glassdoor. Never mind then.

Gotta post the company. I wonder if they tried to paper the score and this is the best effort OR they don't even bother.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I only really drink it at work, but with my sleep schedule also being kinda messed up the last few weeks, the caffeine highs are great.

My coworkers notice when I come in and temporarily become a whirlwind of nuts though.

Sleep is important and coffee is no fix.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I haven't had coffee in two and a half years and it's still one of my better decisions.

i have enough vices without loving my heart with caffeine to boot.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

And cc their superior

Don’t worry they already did, and your supervisor and the CEO. You just need to hit reply all “As per our earlier email on this matter...”

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I got turned down from a job I was really interested in. I’m not sure if I should be sad that they didn’t hire anyone at all, they just aren’t going to fill it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

I got turned down from a job I was really interested in. I’m not sure if I should be sad that they didn’t hire anyone at all, they just aren’t going to fill it.

Job hunting is definitely a marathon, and not a sprint. I do my best not to fall in love with job descriptions. It's just disheartening.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

incoherent posted:

Gotta post the company. I wonder if they tried to paper the score and this is the best effort OR they don't even bother.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/MAXIMUS-Denver-Reviews-EI_IE6725.0,7_IL.8,14_IM234.htm

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Someone tried to get me to work there running some of their UC system. I didn’t apply but not due to the rating.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Oh these guys? Yeah, full on cunts. Glad you dodge a bullet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Funny thing a recruiter I’ve been working with for a while contacted me about another role that would be night shift sysadmin in Boulder. Which might not be all that terrible actually, short drive, one of the potential shifts is 2-12 so just basically go home and go to bed a bit later than usual for me now.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

DelphiAegis posted:

Sounds like you need to stop making coffee for everyone else and let the place burn to the ground due to lack of caffeine. :getin:

This. Do what I did and buy your own coffee maker and keep it at your desk. This reminds me, it's been ages since I've gone to my favorite coffee spot (because I no longer live there and is quite a distance). If anyone is in the Santa Clara, CA area, do yourself a favor and check out Chromatic Coffee. It's amazing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I prefer my boutique coffee pan roasted in the back of a bus.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is that the bus that dude died in?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, camping in a repurposed bus was a *thing* for a while, there are quite a few of them around.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that the bus that dude died in?

Christopher McCandless? I freaking love that movie.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Our company has been involved in a few projects where Maximus was also involved. I remember dealing with a person directly who seemed to have no clue what she was doing with the software she was supposed to be familiar with (I had to explain basic concepts to her on every call). I mentioned her name to a co-worker. He recognized her name from a previous project.

Her story on that project was that after a full day of discovery, the project manager asked her to clean up and email her notes. Her response? "What notes?" Her entire responsibility for the discovery sessions was to take notes and she didn't take a single one. She was never seen again after that day.

After about a month, she disappeared from the project I was on.

Also, re: phones. After being a nice guy and moving a week of vacation for the third time in four years for a very long project to do a big upgrade the other weekend, my manager asked on Friday how to get ahold of me if poo poo hit the fan while I was out. I wanted to say, "You don't. The TO in PTO means time off and my work cell will be off." Thankfully, the guy running the day to day operations on the project in question is a buddy from grade school, and the only person in the company with my personal number. So I just told him that the other guy already knows how to get ahold of me if needed. No way in hell am I giving my personal number to anyone. I wouldn't even give it to the guy that left last month. I have nothing against my co-workers or anything, but I prefer keeping work and personal stuff as separate as possible.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Part of me thinks it would be nice to be able to be that incompetent and keep your job, the other part knows it means they get jack poo poo for training.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Working with incompetent people is the most soul crushing part of work. I’d rather have a knowledgeable but lazy person than someone just faking and skating by it to get a paycheck.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yes, the "lead, follow, or get out of the way" applies. Incompetent people who get out of the way, if they won't follow, are just a drag on resources. The ones that take offense at my energy or incredulity at their crap suggestions or brain holes are the ones that get me really fired up. Combined with the aforementioned caffeine that can become a bad day real fast.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IS Manager is ex-military.

LOVES making 'battlefield repairs' to any peice of hardware or software

:(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, still waiting on one of those little USB hard drives to get plugged into the server I rebuilt last week

Bet it will never happen

Made a backup of it to the other set of drives in the server that are otherwise unused, as well as my personal achine

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

IS Manager is ex-military.

LOVES making 'battlefield repairs' to any peice of hardware or software

:(

What does "battlefield repairs'" mean? Update hardware & software while running in production?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
To anyone affected by broken printing with KB4524147 and friends... The Oct 8 Cumulative Update (KB4517389) seems to have fixed it.

Ugh that was a "fun" Monday... Had over 40 machines, all unable to print thanks to that update.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Volguus posted:

What does "battlefield repairs'" mean? Update hardware & software while running in production?

Jimmy-rigging

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Volguus posted:

We call that “cowboy IT”.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Last week I rm -rf'ed our nagios box

It was never backed up the whole last year since it was installed

So I restored from the files I had when I migrated it to that server from the old eserver

Got it running and everything

Yesterday someone on second shift made a change to the server, but they didn't do it right.

So, I updated their ticket with the correct setting to change and how to restart the server.

I also said that another tech put all the nagios configs in github, so make sure any changes made are checked in
I also said please do not leave nagios-backup.cfg, nagios-10082019.cfg, nagios-testing.cfg all over the new server.
Boss replied with "I don't think putting those in there is a good idea"
He also said he wouldn't call that 'littering'
He said he prefers having backup files on the server (they really helped last time!)

This was the old server:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bigass Moth posted:

Working with incompetent people is the most soul crushing part of work. I’d rather have a knowledgeable but lazy person than someone just faking and skating by it to get a paycheck.

One if the things that I love about my job is that the bar is [mostly] really high for hiring. I can count on one hand in five years the number of actually dumb, ineffective or incompetent people with whom I have worked.

On the other hand, the number of ridiculously smart people here is legion.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

TWBalls posted:

This. Do what I did and buy your own coffee maker and keep it at your desk. This reminds me, it's been ages since I've gone to my favorite coffee spot (because I no longer live there and is quite a distance). If anyone is in the Santa Clara, CA area, do yourself a favor and check out Chromatic Coffee. It's amazing.

Brought my single cup pour-over and some good coffee with me today. Made my own coffee and let the rest figure it out for themselves.

Also applied for full time work from home today - hopefully I will not have to come into the office at all in the very near future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TWBalls posted:

The problem with Santa Clara is that it's in the bay. Plenty of better Santas in SoCal (best Cal.)