Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hope everyone’s watching Snackmasters on Channel 5 because it’s about the most important issue in the UK: Monster Munch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pochoclo posted:

Imagine being so loving extremely broke-brained that you can think "lol we WON WW2, it was a footy game after all, not the utmost horror mankind is capable of made manifest or anything like that no lol it's like ENGLAND - GERMANY LOL WE WON WE WON SUCK IT KRAUTS"

Like... what the gently caress is wrong with them, gently caress them

Yeah, Germany wins all the loving time against England in the world cup/Euros, wtf.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pochoclo posted:

Imagine being so loving extremely broke-brained that you can think

let me stop you there buddy

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1181638015309029376

I really hate people going "oh well, they are just people" when Bush's actions helped kill so many people. How can you look at yourself and not want to die every day for that sort of action.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1181674579481317377?s=20

Interesting from the economics editor of the FT - both the tweet he's quoting and his reaction to it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Taco Bell UK now has cinnamon twists, making it an immediate contender for best crisp-or-crisp-adjacent snack.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This whole complaining about Beau Brummell thing really annoys me. Fair enough it’s good for people to feel they can dress how they want, but I’m not morally defunct for not wanting to dress like a loving jester. It’s not toxic masculinity to prefer more restrained clothing.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

I really hate people going "oh well, they are just people" when Bush's actions helped kill so many people. How can you look at yourself and not want to die every day for that sort of action.

I'm not aware of some larger arc of this phenomenon, but I suspect it's people wanting the feel-good of coming together with a former enemy without the effort and patience of waiting for them to admit they were wrong.

We want the reintegration of Germany and Japan without all the intervening years of self introspection and hard change.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the most restrained clothing is none imo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1181632221788217345?s=20

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Guess we're planning a Zimbabwe style no-deal. Make more money, that will solve EVERYTHING! :downs:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Don't think they will for Trump. He's that one thing they can never forgive. He's rude and doesn't take them seriously.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
My clothing is the same kind of stuff I have been wearing since the late 90s and I'm good with that and feel comfortable and happy with my combat trousers and such

But a few months ago, for the first time in my life, I spent significant (read: not 4 pairs for a fiver from george) cash on some boxer shorts, and holy poo poo its been life changing and I'm not going back to pauper pants again

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Pochoclo posted:

Imagine being so loving extremely broke-brained that you can think "lol we WON WW2, it was a footy game after all, not the utmost horror mankind is capable of made manifest or anything like that no lol it's like ENGLAND - GERMANY LOL WE WON WE WON SUCK IT KRAUTS"

Like... what the gently caress is wrong with them, gently caress them

It's impossible to make them care but I wish these loving idiots could for one second realise how petulant and thick this kind of jingoistic drivel makes them look. This is particularly bad, but the whole attitude to the EU and Brexit really. I'm lucky enough to have done a bit of travel in Europe, was in Berlin just last month, and it sometimes seems like the whole continent after WWII took some stock and really got their poo poo together, at least in the broad strokes. Germany in particular has done some loving HARD thinking and if you ever want an example of a country owning their poo poo look at how they've publically atoned for their mistakes and are still doing so even while we're sitting on our leaded petrol stained white cliffs propping up swearing effigies and belching big gammony guffaws into our poo poo beer. It's a loving embarassment.

If I thought for one second this whole exercise would lead to any amount of self reflection and atonement for our colonial past and general coasting on the fumes of the empire for the last 75 years, instead of just leading to the suffering of huge sections of the vulnerable populace, but no. gently caress that's made me angry.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
loving graunian waddling on about "johnson's deal". It's not a loving deal, it's not a loving result of negotiation. it's just "lemme tell you how ireland should work" by fat english white male

fucksakes

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't think they will for Trump. He's that one thing they can never forgive. He's rude and doesn't take them seriously.

I can’t see it happening when he’s alive but he’ll 100% get the nixon treatment when he croaks. based on his lifestyle choices I’m astonished he’s still going...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

limited posted:

Guess we're planning a Zimbabwe style no-deal. Make more money, that will solve EVERYTHING! :downs:
The UK could actually do that where Zimbabwe couldn't, the UK printed a loving trillion pounds in modern money to bail out the banks and inflation was half a percent.

Can't do it so easy with gold coins tho.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the most restrained clothing is none imo
Surely the most restrained clothing is BDSM gear.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
The "Why are liberals so bad" question always has the same answer. They are upset that instead of the political and economic system being 100% in their favour it is in danger of being I dunno, only 90%. Or of being mildly inconvenienced at the airport. They're pissed off at losing something but don't want any actual structural change.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CoolCab posted:

I can’t see it happening when he’s alive but he’ll 100% get the nixon treatment when he croaks. based on his lifestyle choices I’m astonished he’s still going...

You think there's a living, sentient being inside that husk?

It's just grease and millipedes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think he measures at at least a decapede

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

You think there's a living, sentient being inside that husk?

It's just grease and millipedes.

"Trump", by Junji Ito

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The bigger mystery for me is what the hell happened to the hat in the 1950s. I can only assume with the end of rationing nobody needed somewhere secret to keep their knockoff petrol coupons so they just stopped wearing them.

Shampoo

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

These last few days have been very tricky, not gonna lie. What does everyone else do when they feel themselves slipping back into bad ways of coping?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

justcola posted:

Men's fashion is all down to one dickhead called Beau Brummell. He was a 19th century officer who made friends with George IV. Prior to that most men wore very orante clothes, though Beau thought all men's clothes should be quite drab and be very tightly fitted suits, as well as shaving the face and other rules.

He died bankrupt and insane in France, but his legacy continues to this day in terms of formal clothing.

https://garfield.dale.ro/garfield-1979-february-8.html

Growing up reading Garfield, I had to have my dad explain this joke to me. I'm amazed he could. Goes to show that people could have really wide range of esoteric knowledge before the internet.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

UnknownTarget posted:

I'm not aware of some larger arc of this phenomenon, but I suspect it's people wanting the feel-good of coming together with a former enemy without the effort and patience of waiting for them to admit they were wrong.

We want the reintegration of Germany and Japan without all the intervening years of self introspection and hard change.

Japan recently just started a massive trade war against Korea because Korea said "hey remember that time you did a bunch of war crimes against us?". So Im not so sure about that introspection and change bit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

These last few days have been very tricky, not gonna lie. What does everyone else do when they feel themselves slipping back into bad ways of coping?

Grit my teeth and try to wait it out, usually. Try to accept rough patches happen and it's not my fault, and I can't necessarily talk myself out of moods, so just hang on.

I do find the fear that I'm backsliding tends to make it more likely that I will actually do so, ironically.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I do find the fear that I'm backsliding tends to make it more likely that I will actually do so, ironically.

Mhm.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

CoolCab posted:

Wait, what's the Nixon treatment? I thought Nixon was widely thought of as an irreconcilable piece of poo poo?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Mindfulness and meditation has helped me a lot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gum posted:

Shampoo

Don't think this works as an explanation - men certainly washed their hair (at least as regularly as they did their bodies) before the 50s, and also spent a fair amount of money on hair product (except it had names like Bay Rum and Oil of Macassar - the latter being why your nan had doilies on her chair backs). They'd have taken their hats off indoors, when people were more likely to notice they'd not washed/styled their hair, too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shocking Brylcreem Boys erasure here.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

People stopped wearing hats because teenagers were invented and everyone wore blue jeans and listened to rock music.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The people of the western world doffed their hats to commemorate JFK and they've yet to be redonned. that simple.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That explains the MAGA hat.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

Make a big thing of the small victories.
Or cook. There's something about the systematic preparation of food according to instructions that I find meditative and calming. But better than meditation, when you've finished you have also gained something to eat.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's also dynastyism, Bush was a scion and Trump is an interloper. It doesn't matter that in terms of policy Trump and Bush are identical except Trump has more leeway for non-manifesto poo poo extras.

Like if we look at the parallel universes there was a potential that a government option called Trumpcare could have happened, there was a potential that Trump Wage could have passed fight for 15 or whatever, obviously unlikely but if you are an absolute lib that potential nazbol angle adds a huge extra layer of fear. I think you're right but it's not just that he was rude and owned them, it's that even a misplaced cynical hope for potential change is suspect in itself and so they must inherently poison the legacy, even though Trump is functionally a continuation of Bush.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Heh. John Elledge is alright.

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1181564278253477889?s=20

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1181566001378406400?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1181692299828482049

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

People stopped wearing hats because of cars, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cummings must be the most frustrating person to play D&D with. And that’s a high loving bar.

He’s just “Well, actually” given physical form.

Not necessary human form