Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Hating on homeless people in Queens is completely unrelated to climate change?

I would say that our institutional and cultural treatment of displaced people has an absolute poo poo-ton to do with climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So how many Republican senators do you figure there are who are privately not cool with history recording them as being on the wrong side of a strongarm attempt to end constitutional democracy in America?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We are not likely to see any significant response from the House until next week when they return from recess

I'd suggest calling up your rep and yelling incoherently about the dude with the mace, thats my plan

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

pkay posted:

Impeaching and removal.

The senate isn't going to convict so there isn't any removal to happen.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

CommieGIR posted:

No it is because the Department of Justice will not uphold the checks and balances that it's supposed to be upholding independent from the executive and McConnell is in the Senate not Congress

McConnell is a senator. The senate is considered apart of congress...WTF

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Celexi posted:

The senate isn't going to convict so there isn't any removal to happen.

Yes, but that doesn't mean there is a constitutional crisis.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

pkay posted:

no of course not, if trump is impeached, dismisses all subpoenas, and senate doesn't convict clearly there is no crisis!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Random thought, has the house or senate passed gently caress-all for actual, yknow, legislation lately?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pkay posted:

McConnell is a senator. The senate is considered apart of congress...WTF

You know what I meant McConnell is not the Speaker of the House wording it the way you did frames it all wrong

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

pkay posted:

What do you think a constitutional crisis is, exactly, if the president getting away with obstruction of justice isn't one?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

Random thought, has the house or senate passed gently caress-all for actual, yknow, legislation lately?

McConnell is sitting on a metric TON of poo poo.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Well they passed that resolution condemning anti-semitism

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Context: This is about a proposal to build a homeless shelter in an upscale Queens neighborhood

https://gothamist.com/news/angry-queens-residents-shout-down-plans-for-homeless-shelter-i-hope-someone-burns-it-down

Glendale isn't anywhere near upscale.

It's a bunch of blue collar old people who don't want a shelter in their neighborhood. They're just assholes.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Rime posted:

So how many Republican senators do you figure there are who are privately not cool with history recording them as being on the wrong side of a strongarm attempt to end constitutional democracy in America?

I would guess not very many. They only care about whether they have power right now. Do they have power right now? Yes. End of program.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Retro42 posted:

McConnell is sitting on a metric TON of poo poo.

It's this McConnell is already openly said he wants to turn the Senate into a graveyard for the Democrats house bills

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tatsuta Age posted:

The House has passed a lot of legislation that immediately died in the Senate

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bi...&terms2=__ALL__

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

We have been in a Constitutional Crisis since January 20th 2017.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Rabble posted:

No way the senate votes to impeach on an obstruction charge...I guess American democracy is over

They have enough to charge him on the Ukraine thing but the evidence is easily arguable compared to what they will have later if they get the tapes, word-for-word transcript, and/or first hand testimony.

I don’t think this is over. I’d still put Senate removal at a distant third behind Impeachment/No Removal or Resign.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1181678207793352704

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

empty whippet box posted:

I know this just keeps being true over and over again, but isn't this yet another clear example of an impeachable offense that must be acted on immediately to stop the president from continuing to abuse his power?

Yes also known as 'evidence'.

I'm not sure how you package this up at this point and send it to the senate for a vote; there still has to be a continued investigation and more evidence collected beyond angry tweets and letters from the white house.

Celexi posted:

How is the congress going to enforce anything? the Sargent at arms will start arresting people single-handily?

You keep popping up to say this when in reality what we are witnessing has no precedent. So you are as likely to be wrong as you are right.

The intel committee will likely vote on contempt charges, then the entire house. They will pass party-line. It is unlikely the house will try to go through various channels to arrest people, but they will sue in civil court and start levying hefty fines to compel compliance.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 8, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most Americans are taught $100 in school. In many other countries they get taught 100$. When one invoices internationally the ones orginating in the states are usually $100. 100$ appears on invoices orignating in a bunch of european countries. Its not hard and fast, but its like 1.000.000 vs 1,000,000. It's a tell about where the person came from.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rime posted:

They really wouldn't care if Trump was a competent fascist and not a moron howling at the media while stepping on the next 10 rakes in the yard with a bucket on his head

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

You know what I meant the Connell is not the Speaker of the House wording it the way you did frames it all wrong

Look man, this concept isn't hard to grasp. Congress still has the ability to impeach and remove members of the executive and the judicial. They are currently refusing to do this. This is a dereliction of their constitutional duties. That power still resides with Congress should they choose to use it. Now, if Trump had been impeached and removed from office and he refused to leave and noone made him leave, that would be a constitutional crisis.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Rime posted:

There are many recorded incidents in history of rich, powerful men making very bad, selfish decisions in the pursuit of more power and money. Democracy is based on the idea that most people are Inherently good and can make good choices. The opposite is true.

The only options open to the Democratic party now are essentially to lay down and get neutered or start moving towards open rebellion. The only mechanisms towards a procedural solution to this situation are blocked. The DoJ will prevent any litigative solution and the Senate will prevent a constitutional one. If the Democrats don't find (or make) a path forward, the Republicans will invite foreign powers to interfere in our elections to ensure themselves permanent control and American democracy will be dead.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 8, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pkay posted:

Look man, this concept isn't hard to grasp. Congress still has the ability to impeach and remove members of the executive and the judicial. They are currently refusing to do this. This is a dereliction of their constitutional duties. That power still resides with Congress should they choose to use it. Now, if Trump had been impeached and removed from office and he refused to leave and noone made him leave, that would be a constitutional crisis.

What the f*** do you think this investigation of is about

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rime posted:

Less than a quarter of them, if that. Republicans either don't believe they're in the wrong or view Trump in purely decorum "he is saying the quiet part too loud" terms rather than material ideological disagreement. They believe they will be written down as the heroes in this story.

Sad part is, if popular perceptions of Reagan are anything to go by, they're probably right.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Aramis posted:

What do you think a constitutional crisis is, exactly, if the president getting away with obstruction of justice isn't one?

I don't think you understand what constitutional crisis means. Google that poo poo and explain how this constitutes one

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

quote:

Authorities said about “12 pounds of marijuana, 149 grams of THC cartridges, and $4,157” was seized from Brown’s apartment during an initial search.

ummel posted:

Seems like a normal thing for someone living next to a cop to have.

Also curious if those "grams of thc cartridges" is 149 carts or 3 carts weighing 50 grams each.

Also seems highly unlikely someone dealing like that would be a witness against a cop in a court case and bring a bunch of police attention on himself. This is some major bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pkay posted:

I don't think you understand what constitutional crisis means. Google that poo poo and explain how this constitutes one

I see you're under the pretense that you have to hold a floor vote for an impeachment actually happen rather than an investigation which is really the dumbest hot take of this thread

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1181682899424350209

(its from the Clinton impeachment obviously)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the right is very much happy with Trump except for him being a bit more vulgar than they like, barely any meaningful defections will come even if this goes full Nixon and we have objective taped proof of him doing actual felonies. We just saw Bush and Ellen, they know if they can just wait out a few years post-Trump he'll get the 'well Donald Trump may have had his flaws but compared to Lord Emperor Crenshaw firing on migrants from a helicopter we can agree he was personally a good guy'. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it won't even be two years after he's out of office before he's hosting SNL again and going on the late night shows.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

What the f*** do you think this investigation of is about

So the solution to a criminal President committing crimes is impeachment and removal. Congress still has that authority but they have currently not elected to invoke that authority. How is this a situation that the constitution is unable to solve?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rime posted:

maybe enough to convict but probably no. if they do do the right thing, it won't be for the right reasons. most likely they will do nothing or aquit and than when/if he implodes in 2020, a decade or so later some will gurgle that edmund burke quote about themselves or some poo poo.

that seems like a really dumb movie.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A quick reminder that "Senate Majority Leader" is a loving made up title that appears nowhere in the Constitution, and Mitch only has power because of Precedent and procedure

If Rpublicans want to play Constitutional hardball "orginialism" let's get nuts

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 8, 2019

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I see you're under the pretense that you have to hold a floor vote for an impeachment actually happen rather than an investigation which is really the dumbest hot take of this thread

No im of the opinion that this isn't a constitutional crisis and that you just recently learned that the Senate is one of the houses of Congress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pkay posted:

So the solution to a criminal President committing crimes is impeachment and removal. Congress still has that authority but they have currently not elected to invoke that authority. How is this a situation that the constitution is unable to solve?

The growing approval ratings for impeachment are partially due to the investigation that's going on if they had just held a floor vote for impeachment it wouldn't have passed and they would have looked like idiots this is really a dumb take

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

TulliusCicero posted:

A quick reminder that "Senate Majority Leader" is a loving made up title that appears nowhere in the Constitution, and Mitch only has power because of Precedent and procedure

If Reublicans want to play Constitutional hardball "orginialism" let's get nuts

Nah, congress is given extremely broad leeway to write its own rules

quote:

2: Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

When you're a Star Chamber, they let you do it. Posse comitatus.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lightning Knight posted:

Less than a quarter of them, if that. Republicans either don't believe they're in the wrong or view Trump in purely decorum "he is saying the quiet part too loud" terms rather than material ideological disagreement. They believe they will be written down as the heroes in this story.

Sad part is, if popular perceptions of Reagan are anything to go by, they're probably right.

Thing is, if the Senate lets him get away with ignoring subpoenas, they're setting the precedent that the next Dem elected can just tell them to pound sand when the Senate tries to start up a new investigation into where they were during Benghazi. Whether enough Republican Senators are OK with that probably depends on how far away they are from election they are and how safe they feel their state is if the cultists largely stay home, but I have a feeling it's closer to Flake's number than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pkay posted:

You're making a distinction between "a mechanism exists, so there is no crisis" and "there is no possibility for this mechanism to be used, so there's nothing that can be done, which is a crisis" which isn't meaningful or useful. You're just arguing semantics which is pointless.