Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

We need to get the DoJ to investigate the DPD for corruptiiiiahahahahahahaha gently caress this hell world burn it to the ground.

Gods, this is depressing. Where's the reset button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

it appears to be whining that they're not getting due process

unfortunately for them (a) congress has absolute power to handle impeachment however it drat well wants; (b) nobody ever has a right to "due process" at the indictment stage, grand juries are secret. they're whining they don't get full trial rights at the investigation stage which is nonsense for morons.

They're whining about full criminal trial rights in the investigation stage of non-criminal proceedings, which is even worse. Of course someone still needs to step up and exercise some authority.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

It's this McConnell is already openly said he wants to turn the Senate into a graveyard for the Democrats house bills

Honestly, America is over. The GOP have all but won the government. Trump is rejecting subpoenas with zero consequence, the senate is refusing to even bring bills up for debate, the SCOTUS is about to strip rights from LGBTQ folks.

What’s even the point anymore? The government is actively hostile to a majority of its constituents and I don’t really want to wait 20+ years for things to sort of change. I’m ready to scrap the whole thing and find somewhere that’s ready to secede from this shithole.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That letter is obviously meant for the cultists, not lawyers. They're hoping that whipping up the MAGA mouth breathers will undermine what's left of Democratic will to do anything about the criminals in the White House.

It's no surprise that they've gone all-in on populism over process.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Lemming posted:

You're making a distinction between "a mechanism exists, so there is no crisis" and "there is no possibility for this mechanism to be used, so there's nothing that can be done, which is a crisis" which isn't meaningful or useful. You're just arguing semantics which is pointless.

Yes, only one of those is a constitutional crisis. The other is a crisis of character.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rabble posted:

Honestly, America is over. The GOP have all but won the government. Trump is rejecting subpoenas with zero consequence, the senate is refusing to even bring bills up for debate, the SCOTUS is about to strip rights from LGBTQ folks.

What’s even the point anymore? The government is actively hostile to a majority of its constituents and I don’t really want to wait 20+ years for things to sort of change. I’m ready to scrap the whole thing and find somewhere that’s ready to secede from this shithole.

Get help

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pkay posted:

Yes, only one of those is a constitutional crisis. The other is a crisis of character.

What are you using as the definition of "constitutional crisis"?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dick Trauma posted:

That letter is obviously meant for the cultists, not lawyers. They're hoping that whipping up the MAGA mouth breathers will undermine what's left of Democratic will to do anything about the criminals in the White House.

It's no surprise that they've gone all-in on populism over process.

Yea the letter is political not legal, and their strategy seems to be *checks polls* not working?!?!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is overthinking it. the letter is designed for an audience of one, the barely literate idiot who dictated the general outline of this letter.

it's amazingly bad both as a legal and a political document

Kale
May 14, 2010

So yeah looking more and more like we are going to be hearing pocahontas this pocahontas that up and down the campaign trail which in no way will make for an appalling display of political theater. At least its becoming clearer how hes gonna campaign now :barf:

If and when he probably campaigns that way the mainstream and really any type of network better loving refuse to air those ads or rhetoric cause holy gently caress.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Lemming posted:

What are you using as the definition of "constitutional crisis"?

The constitution lacking a mechanism to deal with a specific situation.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that seems like a really dumb movie.

Maybe, but they seem to believe that there are no consequences for appearing guilty as hell or losing public support and so far they have been correct.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in response to followup questions about what would get the white house to agree the impeachment inquiry was fair: well, if you stop asking any questions at all, we'll answer the remaining questions

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1181686330071367680

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

this is overthinking it. the letter is designed for an audience of one, the barely literate idiot who dictated the general outline of this letter.

I don’t know what I was expecting. I mean, it’s purely a delay tactic. I just figured it would have at least some sort of half-brained reasoning to build off of.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pkay posted:

I don't know what you think the definition of constitutional crisis actually is, but i know it's wrong.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kale posted:

So yeah looking more and more like we are going to be hearing pocahontas this pocahontas that up and down the campaign trail which in no way will make for an appalling display of political theater. At least its becoming clearer how hes gonna campaign now.

No one besides chuds care about the Pocahontas poo poo, and he is spiraling out of control and openly swearing at the press

Every campaign speech will be a 5 alarm meltdown

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Not getting the impeachment result you personally want within the timeframe you want does not equate to a Constitutional crisis, the end of America, etc. Impeachment is by definition a political process, and if the politics don't line up right now, they might line up a week from now, a month from now, or maybe never. And even if they never do, the system is self correcting on a two year cycle.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Retro42 posted:

I don’t know what I was expecting. I mean, it’s purely a delay tactic. I just figured it would have at least some sort of half-brained reasoning to build off of.

He’s in an indefensible position so of course all they have is nonsense.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Rabble posted:

Were you in a coma during November 2018 or something?

Support for the impeachment inquiry is growing with each passing week and I'm willing to bet money this latest act of unrepentant idiocy is going to add a few extra points to the support column.

I'm guessing this will be added to "obstruction of justice" evidence heap, but as for what else, who the hell knows. The writers were clearly drunk and/or stoned when they wrote this episode arc of reality.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

i think the strategy was originally going to be the same "you didn't hold an official vote, that means it doesn't count!!!!" except the white house wised up shortly beforehand that (a) actually republicans desperately do not want that vote to happen and (b) that pelosi would absolutely call their bluff and one of the biggest reasons she hasn't is that simply the house is in recess, and then they'd be stuck

so they just sort of threw together all of trump's ranting, made sure to never specify anything that would cause them to comply, and called it a day

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Not getting the impeachment result you personally want within the timeframe you want does not equate to a Constitutional crisis, the end of America, etc. Impeachment is by definition a political process, and if the politics don't line up right now, they might line up a week from now, a month from now, or maybe never. And even if they never do, the system is self correcting on a two year cycle.

This is true until one of the parties involved begins trying to rig the vote

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Maybe this makes me a bad person, but I'm at the point where if some vagabond-looking dude with no name suddenly ran for president and whose only policy was locking up the GOP in cages and dousing them in cat piss on the daily... Well, I would have a lot to think about in the primary.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TulliusCicero posted:

No one besides chuds care about the Pocahontas poo poo, and he is spiraling out of control and openly swearing at the press

I invite you to view the primary thread, if you dare.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know this thread gets stuck on impeachment minutia and nothing-mattersay and the general news and /r/politics has megathreads about Senate reports on Kremlin Influence in the 2016 election that doesn't get mentioned here .

Why is that?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1181691212459364352

This dude knew about docs about Rudy and Manafort communicating before anyone else, so he seems to have some good info

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

CHEF!!! posted:

Were you in a coma during November 2018 or something?

Support for the impeachment inquiry is growing with each passing week and I'm willing to bet money this latest act of unrepentant idiocy is going to add a few extra points to the support column.

I'm guessing this will be added to "obstruction of justice" evidence heap, but as for what else, who the hell knows. The writers were clearly drunk and/or stoned when they wrote this episode arc of reality.

Support for impeachment matters gently caress all when the Republican party has decided to piss all over the constitution and has shown no respect for the American electoral system.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

pkay posted:

I don't think you understand what constitutional crisis means. Google that poo poo and explain how this constitutes one

Sure, I'll play along:

quote:

In political science, a constitutional crisis is a problem or conflict in the function of a government that the political constitution or other fundamental governing law is perceived to be unable to resolve.

The constitution is supposed to be set up so that criminal presidents are removed from office. If that not happening, then the constitution is failing to account for whatever is causing the failure to remove the President. It's "unable to resolve the situation".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol i cant

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1181691212459364352

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

ThanosWasRight posted:

You know this thread gets stuck on impeachment minutia and nothing-mattersay and the general news and /r/politics has megathreads about Senate reports on Kremlin Influence in the 2016 election that doesn't get mentioned here .

Why is that?

because we can discuss that poo poo in those threads....?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ThanosWasRight posted:

Why is that?

We discussed it earlier, while you were off trolling the DNC primary thread

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

ThanosWasRight posted:

Why is that?

We knew about it and talked about it months to years ago.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pkay posted:

The constitution lacking a mechanism to deal with a specific situation.

Under that definition if the constitution said "a criminal president can be removed from office if he's hit by a meteor" then it wouldn't be a constitutional crisis.

There *is* a mechanism but there *effectively* is not. The constitution cannot handle our current situation, empirically.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

like literally nothing has changed, their strategy has been 100% obstruction for the past three years

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ThanosWasRight posted:

Why is that?

have you ever considered contributing about the thing you want to talk about instead of just constantly doing terrible posts? at this point, i feel like you're only accelerating the timeframe where you get banned for being whoever's rereg you are

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

in response to followup questions about what would get the white house to agree the impeachment inquiry was fair: well, if you stop asking any questions at all, we'll answer the remaining questions

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1181686330071367680

so they are just going full berlin bunker meets nixons end times. cool. whats funny is trumps rampant stupid obstruction and further crimes may end up forcing the senate to gently caress him. if only to save themselves in 2020. i am being overly optimistic but lol.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ThanosWasRight posted:

Why is that?

The thread typically converges with uspol and trump, with trump being at the senator of our rapid speedrun toward fascism.

The senate report is all stuff we already knew two years ago; it literally is just confirming a lot of the investigative reporting that has come out since and been discussed in this thread.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so they are just going full berlin bunker meets nixons end times. cool. whats funny is trumps rampant stupid obstruction and further crimes may end up forcing the senate to gently caress him. if only to save themselves in 2020. i am being overly optimistic but lol.

You are assuming the Republicans don't continue passing laws at the state and federal level to assure themselves control of the Senate and WH in 2020.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SchrodingersCat posted:

You are assuming the Republicans don't continue passing laws at the state and federal level to assure themselves control of the Senate and WH in 2020.

They literally can’t pass laws at the federal level, in case you forgot the Dems own the House.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:frogsiren:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1181693377890410496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cool and good.